Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Any one hear buzzs comment on 540 after game?  (Read 8564 times)

River rat

• Team Captain
Any one hear buzzs comment on 540 after game?
« on: February 19, 2014, 09:45:34 PM »
I missed, thx for sharing

jimmybutlerfanatic

• Scholarship Player
Re: Any one hear buzzs comment on 540 after game?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2014, 10:00:11 PM »
They're all pretty much the same.

"They're really good."

"I don't mean this in a condescending way."

"We're really bad when we don't get paint touches"

"Can't dwell on a loss."

"When #3 moves and switches against the ball screen rotation he's really good, we call that play rabbit and Derrick played great defense but we gotta make more free throws than the opponent takes in order for us to score on a 54 possession game after the paint touch but Jamil Wilson is the smartest guy on our team but Chris practices harder than Davate."

Maybe these quotes aren't accurate, but this is pretty much what I hear after each loss.

karavotsos

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2014, 10:03:44 PM »
Asked about the officiating, he simply said, "next."  It was that bad.

The one real question in this game that was not asked, 'why not just play STJ and sit Otule and Gardner."  At least the majority of the game.

Same question as sitting Perk against the Heat.  I mean, what purpose do Otule and Gardner serve if they don't score every time down the court in a game like this.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2014, 09:10:04 AM »

The one real question in this game that was not asked, 'why not just play STJ and sit Otule and Gardner."  At least the majority of the game.

Same question as sitting Perk against the Heat.  I mean, what purpose do Otule and Gardner serve if they don't score every time down the court in a game like this.

I'm convinced this is the only way to go against a team that starts Wragge at center.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2014, 09:47:55 AM »

He can't comment on the officiating either way.  Does him no good ever, get a fine, get refs pissed at you, etc.  Coaches are going to punt on those questions most of the time.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2014, 10:01:49 AM »

That is the only "real" question that should be asked? How about "What type of offense should you use when teams do not guard the PG 12-15 feet from the basket"  "What can be done when teams pack in their defense" "What improvements have been implemented this year against defending the three pointer". etc., etc.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2014, 10:19:23 AM »
Kept waiting for STjr to guard Wragge.  Was disappointed because we needed his offense and speed

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2014, 10:40:21 AM »
That is the only "real" question that should be asked? How about "What type of offense should you use when teams do not guard the PG 12-15 feet from the basket"  "What can be done when teams pack in their defense" "What improvements have been implemented this year against defending the three pointer". etc., etc.

DW was THE least of our problems yesterday.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2014, 10:45:32 AM »
Kept waiting for STjr to guard Wragge.  Was disappointed because we needed his offense and speed

STj was having all sorts of trouble with the switch defense MU was running.  Plus it wasn't like anyone was playing Wragge straight up.  I do think for whatever reason STj would have provided better offense than Davante but I think the defense difference would have been negligible.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2014, 10:46:02 AM »

+1
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2014, 01:52:11 PM »

You do understand that our best scoring threat (Gardner) was only able to get 3 shots largely because Derrick was left unguarded and that free defensive man was able to help keep him from getting the ball near the basket in his happy place, don't you?  That is a sizable problem, certainly not the least of our problems.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2014, 01:55:59 PM »
You do understand that our best scoring threat (Gardner) was only able to get 3 shots largely because Derrick was left unguarded and that free defensive man was able to help keep him from getting the ball near the basket in his happy place, don't you?  That is a sizable problem, certainly not the least of our problems.

You do understand that Derrick was not feeding the post the majority of the time Gardner or Otule were in...that feed was coming from the wings and most likely Mayo, Juan, or Jamil?  Go back to the video, the number of times Gardner was doubled off of Derrick was minimal.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2014, 02:06:05 PM »
You do understand that Derrick was not feeding the post the majority of the time Gardner or Otule were in...that feed was coming from the wings and most likely Mayo, Juan, or Jamil?  Go back to the video, the number of times Gardner was doubled off of Derrick was minimal.

Believe me, I'm well aware that Derrick wasn't feeding the post (though he did have one beautiful low bounce pass from up high that led to an easy lay in).  I'm also well aware that what few entry passes there were came from the wings.  I'm also aware that Derrick's man was in the middle of the lane cutting off Davante's movement and ability to get open space on the floor in single coverage.  Less so with Otule because he's less of a threat and appropriately draws less attention.  What do you think Derrick's man was doing, since he certainly wasn't covering Derrick?

Creighton played Derrick much, much softer than he has been played recently.  If he's not willing to shoot from the perimeter, he needs to drive right at the defender and either shoot the 6-8 footer or dish when he meets resistance, even if it is back to a jump shooter.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2014, 02:49:53 PM »

The problems with this team surpass anything DW can or cannot do. That is painfully obvious watching the game. If you all(not just you) feel better blaming him, have at it.

I see Chris Otule cannot hit bunnies, I see JA afraid to shoot, I see Deonte fouling every play, I see Jake 3/10 shooting and I Steve Taylor not having a meaningful role. Other than that, then yes,  DW hurt us.

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2014, 03:10:08 PM »
I listened.  Talked about how different Creighton is in terms of offense.  Their "5" has taken 99% of his shots from outside of the arch.  Tried to switch all ball screens.  Thought Derrick did a good job on McDermott, believes Derrick can guard anybody.  Key to game was we didn't make shots, although we were more than one point per possesson.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2014, 03:59:41 PM »
The problems with this team surpass anything DW can or cannot do. That is painfully obvious watching the game. If you all(not just you) feel better blaming him, have at it.

I see Chris Otule cannot hit bunnies, I see JA afraid to shoot, I see Deonte fouling every play, I see Jake 3/10 shooting and I Steve Taylor not having a meaningful role. Other than that, then yes,  DW hurt us.

You know, I agree with you.  We have lots of issues.  Frankly, I think both Derrick's biggest supporters and his biggest detractors are wrong.  He's not very good, but he does have his positives (plays good D and he doesn't turn it over) and he has shown improvement this year.  I don't know where PG ranks on our list of problems, but it is definitely not the least of them, which is the comment I was reacting to in the first place on this thread.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2014, 04:02:20 PM »
Believe me, I'm well aware that Derrick wasn't feeding the post (though he did have one beautiful low bounce pass from up high that led to an easy lay in).  I'm also well aware that what few entry passes there were came from the wings.  I'm also aware that Derrick's man was in the middle of the lane cutting off Davante's movement and ability to get open space on the floor in single coverage.  Less so with Otule because he's less of a threat and appropriately draws less attention.  What do you think Derrick's man was doing, since he certainly wasn't covering Derrick?

Creighton played Derrick much, much softer than he has been played recently.  If he's not willing to shoot from the perimeter, he needs to drive right at the defender and either shoot the 6-8 footer or dish when he meets resistance, even if it is back to a jump shooter.

Think this picture illustrates the point you are trying to make....but no...this is the least of our problems...and certainly doesn't create problems for feeding the post..and this was Seton Hall..

"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2014, 07:44:21 PM »

Yes, and no....

Think this picture illustrates the point you are trying to make....but no...this is the least of our problems...and certainly doesn't create problems for feeding the post..and this was Seton Hall..

I know I locked a thread last time you posted the picture, but you're correct that what it portrays is a BIG problem.  I agree with others that 2/3 of what Derrick does is better than any other point guard option we have.  But I agree with you that that the other 1/3 (shooting) he does worse than virtually ANYONE else we could put on the floor. 

I am disappointed that he hasn't improved his shooting through the season.  Actually, I'm disappointed he didn't work on it before the season.  I Acker beingremember  a below average shooter, working on it a ton and becoming a good scoring pg the next year.  I was really hoping DW would follow that route.  But he started this season as the same bad shooter he was last year.  So...I hoped he would work on it, and in conference season be able to at least hit a few to get the respect of the defense.  But alas, he doesn't even try (except for one attempt a couple games ago I believe).  This is a HUGE problem this year.  But taking him out doesn't solve the other 2/3s of the problem (defense and ball control).

Sigh, and so I guess we must live through it until next year...and hopefully *something* good happens at the PG spot next year.

DaCoach

• Team Captain
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2014, 12:13:54 PM »

Sigh, and so I guess we must live through it until next year...and hopefully *something* good happens at the PG spot next year.

Does anyone think DW will not get the great majority of time next year despite his performance?
Players win awards but teams win championships

MUeng

• All American
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2014, 12:27:46 PM »
Does anyone think DW will not get the great majority of time next year despite his performance?
unfortunately I think he will. I prefer duane but buzz wont play him more than derrick. Senior status.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2014, 12:31:08 PM »
unfortunately I think he will. I prefer duane but buzz wont play him more than derrick. Senior status.

Buzz will play whoever gets us the best chance at winning. If it is Duane, than Duane will play.

How do you prefer a player that you have never seen play? Is this assuming he lives up to expectations?
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2014, 12:38:19 PM »
Buzz is still recruitin' a 1 guard. Therefore, surmise what ya want, but the obvious is the point is an area that needs addressin'.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Boozemon Barro

• All American
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2014, 02:20:41 PM »

It's impossible to feed the post when the man guarding you is essentially fronting the post man. 99.9% of college point guards would shoot a wide open three in that situation. It's killing this team.

feedback