collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")  (Read 1127447 times)

jesmu84

• All American
Re: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")
« Reply #10825 on: August 09, 2021, 08:02:39 PM »
Its probably just a matter of coverage.  Its not like its a perfect venn diagram of people who opposed initial lockdowns or worried about their effects and those who are ardently unvaccinated.  There are plenty who are were annoyed then and now and are still vaccinated.  Not to mention there are plenty of people who may not be in favor of government mandated vaccinations in theory yet still are vaccinated themselves and in favor of the vaccine in this case.

Perhaps you are correct and I just haven't seen this talked about.

Like I said, I just remember a lot of criticism of the shutdowns cause it was denying care to folks.

Now, care is being denied by those unvaccinated needing care/hospitalizations.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #10826 on: August 10, 2021, 06:05:44 AM »
Perhaps you are correct and I just haven't seen this talked about.

Like I said, I just remember a lot of criticism of the shutdowns cause it was denying care to folks.

Now, care is being denied by those unvaccinated needing care/hospitalizations.

Pretty ironic that the same group of people who fear mongered about 'death panels' due to Obamacare are the exact people causing 'death panels' in American hospitals currently.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #10827 on: August 10, 2021, 09:02:54 AM »
Abbott's also the governor who re-opened his state far too early from the first wave -- and bragged constantly about doing so -- only to have to shut it back down again.

He makes DeSantis and Cuomo look relatively competent, and that's no easy feat.

Currently at a conference in Texas for Texans. Last night’s social event? Sing a long karaoke! Covidiots!

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #10828 on: August 10, 2021, 09:20:36 AM »
Pretty ironic that the same group of people who fear mongered about 'death panels' due to Obamacare are the exact people causing 'death panels' in American hospitals currently.

Stop with the radical lunacy.

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #10829 on: August 10, 2021, 12:32:18 PM »
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YdRZJKG7rhw

Stumbled upon this guys YouTube page.  Listened to this video this morning while driving and thought it perfectly summed up where I am at and where my thought process is during my intersections on scoopland.

Interesting listen.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #10830 on: August 10, 2021, 12:59:20 PM »
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YdRZJKG7rhw

Stumbled upon this guys YouTube page.  Listened to this video this morning while driving and thought it perfectly summed up where I am at and where my thought process is during my intersections on scoopland.

Interesting listen.

I watched. I hope he is right, but I’m skeptical. He seems to think it will just take care of itself shortly. I think he has more faith in Americans to get vaccinated or take the necessary precautions than we have demonstrated.

He also seems more of a comedian/podcaster now than a practicing physician. Seemed to be oversimplifying the risks in my opinion.

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #10831 on: August 10, 2021, 01:48:50 PM »
I watched. I hope he is right, but I’m skeptical. He seems to think it will just take care of itself shortly. I think he has more faith in Americans to get vaccinated or take the necessary precautions than we have demonstrated.

He also seems more of a comedian/podcaster now than a practicing physician. Seemed to be oversimplifying the risks in my opinion.

I can appreciate that take away and can see why you’d be skeptical.  He acknowledged the US delta wave may not mirror that of India, UK, etc perfectly but if it’s close the “dry tinder” should be burnt up here in next couple weeks and we need to do our best to manage in the meantime.

Time will tell.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #10832 on: August 10, 2021, 01:58:00 PM »
I have listened to several of his podcasts during the pandemic. Politically he's middle-right. Big libertarian bent which he has acknowledged. I have actually sent a couple of hesitant people his interviews with Dr. Offit on the vaccine and it was helpful.

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #10833 on: August 10, 2021, 02:25:19 PM »
I have listened to several of his podcasts during the pandemic. Politically he's middle-right. Big libertarian bent which he has acknowledged. I have actually sent a couple of hesitant people his interviews with Dr. Offit on the vaccine and it was helpful.

Nice!!  Wish I would have came upon him sooner, trying to catch up on some of the episodes now.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #10834 on: August 10, 2021, 09:35:20 PM »
Hysterical that India is suddenly a model when their numbers of dead are massively disputed at best.
Working with many people that have family there, the reported numbers are laughable at best.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #10835 on: August 10, 2021, 10:02:31 PM »
“You look at what’s happening in Texas and Florida, and then you look at the reaction of the governors, whose policies and behaviors are reckless, callous and demagogic.

“You have Gov. Abbott, who has signed a ban on vaccine mandates and mask mandates. You have Ron DeSantis, who is suing the cruise lines to stop private companies from being able to require vaccines.

“Not only are they not serious about confronting the reality of the crisis … they’re actively making it worse.

“They’ve become prisoners of their own memes, they’ve become prisoners of their own culture war here.

“You have Ron DeSantis, who is all-in, in apparently the belief that he can mount a presidential bid by being as reckless as possible here.”

— Conservative commenter Charlie Sykes
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #10836 on: August 10, 2021, 10:06:21 PM »
“You look at what’s happening in Texas and Florida, and then you look at the reaction of the governors, whose policies and behaviors are reckless, callous and demagogic.

“You have Gov. Abbott, who has signed a ban on vaccine mandates and mask mandates. You have Ron DeSantis, who is suing the cruise lines to stop private companies from being able to require vaccines.

“Not only are they not serious about confronting the reality of the crisis … they’re actively making it worse.

“They’ve become prisoners of their own memes, they’ve become prisoners of their own culture war here.

“You have Ron DeSantis, who is all-in, in apparently the belief that he can mount a presidential bid by being as reckless as possible here.”

— Conservative commenter Charlie Sykes

Not sure if you’re familiar with Sykes but he’s one of the biggest political commentary grifters out there.  Right up there with Project Lincoln so not sure the conservative title fits anymore.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #10837 on: August 10, 2021, 10:13:22 PM »
Not sure if you’re familiar with Sykes but he’s one of the biggest political commentary grifters out there.  Right up there with Project Lincoln so not sure the conservative title fits anymore.

Cool. Every word he said was true.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #10838 on: August 10, 2021, 10:17:15 PM »
Hysterical that India is suddenly a model when their numbers of dead are massively disputed at best.
Working with many people that have family there, the reported numbers are laughable at best.

I just mentioned it in the travel thread, people in India acting like its a resounding success.  But you're dead on about the death numbers being way off.  People telling me its under control and feel free to come, yet having all sorts of complaints and issues getting vaccinated and projecting wearing masks into mid 2022.  And that mask projection was BEFORE Delta got going worldwide.

I don't wish them ill but I trust basically nothing number wise there, especially when it comes to PR-esque stuff.  Its not intentionally dishonest and manipulative like the CCP, its just usually flawed and/or incomplete.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #10839 on: August 10, 2021, 10:28:49 PM »

That quote was posted simply because it was from "conservative" Charlie Sykes.  Poor attempt at a "gotcha".

Though the poster should be familiar with Sykes's fine work on MSLSD.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #10840 on: August 10, 2021, 11:02:42 PM »
Much easier to deflect than to actually refute what Sykes said.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #10841 on: August 11, 2021, 06:57:25 AM »
The cynic in me says he is not wrong.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #10842 on: August 11, 2021, 07:10:16 AM »
The cynic in me says he is not wrong.

Agree.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #10843 on: August 11, 2021, 07:39:30 AM »

It’s real funny because Sykes has effectively not changed one iota of his political ideology and he’s gone from “far right conservative” to “grifter”/not-conservative in the eyes of everyone who has just let themselves be pulled in the authoritarian wake of the “new” GOP.

Is he profiting off of being one of the only voices right of center willing to call out the lunatics poisoned by the last 5 years of GOP politics? Sure. Is he wrong? Nope.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #10844 on: August 11, 2021, 07:54:43 AM »
It’s real funny because Sykes has effectively not changed one iota of his political ideology and he’s gone from “far right conservative” to “grifter”/not-conservative in the eyes of everyone who has just let themselves be pulled in the authoritarian wake of the “new” GOP.

Is he profiting off of being one of the only voices right of center willing to call out the lunatics poisoned by the last 5 years of GOP politics? Sure. Is he wrong? Nope.

You're either MAGA or RINO

MU82

• All American
« Reply #10845 on: August 11, 2021, 07:57:48 AM »

This. Like Kristol, Will, Wilson, and so many others (and more recently Cheney and Kinzinger), Sykes has been a conservative for decades.

Pace invoked "Project Lincoln." (Which actually is The Lincoln Project.) Those people -- and those in similar GOP Never Trump groups -- have been conservatives their entire political lives, dating back to when Trump was a pro-life, pro-universal healthcare Democrat with what Ted Cruz called "New York values." Sykes, Kristol, Will, etc haven't changed; their party was co-opted by a con man.

You're either MAGA or RINO

Today, Reagan would be considered a RINO.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #10846 on: August 11, 2021, 08:05:30 AM »
That quote was posted simply because it was from "conservative" Charlie Sykes.

Putting conservative in quotes tells me all I need to know about your post.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #10847 on: August 11, 2021, 08:40:09 AM »
https://www.pnas.org/content/118/16/e2024850118

Interesting look into excess mortality and years loss of life.  Compares the data from a bad flu season of 2017 to Covid 2020.  Found that 3x’s as many years of life were lost as a result of excess mortality in 2017 compared to 2020.

More data backing up the idea that C19  (arguably more so then any other virus) attacks our seniors the worst.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #10848 on: August 11, 2021, 08:49:37 AM »
It’s pretty widely known that Sykes follows the trends to advance his career.  I’m not saying what he’s preaching is wrong, but I’m not sure how much I’d use him as a symbol of what conservatism is supposed to stand for.
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #10849 on: August 11, 2021, 08:54:57 AM »
It’s pretty widely known that Sykes follows the trends to advance his career.  I’m not saying what he’s preaching is wrong, but I’m not sure how much I’d use him as a symbol of what conservatism is supposed to stand for.

Saying he's a conservative doesn't mean I was using him as a "symbol" of conservativism. Is Obama a "symbol" of liberalism? Maybe yes, maybe no, but most would say he's a liberal.

But sure, Unk ... take away "conservative." Call him a kangaroo for all I care. He still was 100% correct about Abbott and DeSantis. They are actively, aggressively making the crises in their states worse through their words and deeds. Which you seem to agree with.

feedback