collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")  (Read 1127365 times)

Warriors4ever

• All American
Re: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")
« Reply #10225 on: May 15, 2021, 10:14:16 PM »
Except for the people who either can’t take the vaccine for health reasons or for whom it’s less effective as they may be taking immuno- suppressive drugs. I have already seen posts on TripAdvisor from people trying to decide what to do.
On the other hand there is a guy who planned a multi-family trip to Hawaii under their current guidelines who is now saying he will cancel if they don’t remove those same guidelines - so he was good to go with those guidelines before but isn’t now, which makes no sense at all.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #10226 on: May 16, 2021, 05:13:22 AM »
Exactly!  If you want to be protected, get vaccinated.  If not, assume the risk.  It's really that simple.

That's it in a nutshell, Pa. I've had several discussions over the past couple of weeks with folks who refuse the vaccine. Their stance centers around skepticism and not wanting to be guinea pigs. Unreal, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #10227 on: May 16, 2021, 08:06:37 AM »
Except for the people who either can’t take the vaccine for health reasons or for whom it’s less effective as they may be taking immuno- suppressive drugs. I have already seen posts on TripAdvisor from people trying to decide what to do.
On the other hand there is a guy who planned a multi-family trip to Hawaii under their current guidelines who is now saying he will cancel if they don’t remove those same guidelines - so he was good to go with those guidelines before but isn’t now, which makes no sense at all.

Of course.  And those folks have needed to take extra precautions in all aspects of their lives forever.  We don't unnecessarily burden 330 million Americans however.

As to the idiot who is cancelling his Hawaii vaca plans, go for it.  He's just 'protesting' and is of no interest to me.  Chick and I had a great time by the way.  8-)
« Last Edit: May 16, 2021, 08:08:09 AM by jsglow »

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #10228 on: May 16, 2021, 08:32:14 AM »
The best thing for public health at this point is getting higher levels of vaccination.  Supply is now > demand and there are active efforts to meet people in their communities to offer vaccines. Additionally states that have accelerated vaccines are ready for this.  Finally level of spread is getting crushed. 

I know this may seem abrupt or scary and people need to warm up to it, but it’s time. 

Here is a helpful Twitter thread trying to argue against the various criticisms

https://twitter.com/dleonhardt/status/1393243493473079299?s=21

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #10229 on: May 16, 2021, 06:43:05 PM »
yes they are.  it seems to be a regional thing.
    weeks ago, i would estimate 30% of the customers in walmart(mukwonago) were UNmasked.  probably more in the adjacent home depot.  o'reilly's in waukesha-no masks and employee said whatever you feel comfortable with. he was behind a plexiglass booth. a nearby grocery store has been essentially maskless(customers) for months.  those who wanted to mask(less than 50%) wore a mask.

i'm not arguing what is right/wrong.  once again, it seemed to be a regional thing

understand, we had one known infection coming into/out of our office.  out of 12 employees, 1 confirmed case and she(verified) got it from her mom who is a nurse at a nearby hospital.  people respected if they didn't feel well or had come into contact with someone who either was exposed to the virus and/or a known symptomatic or positive tested person.  we asked all the same questions hospitals asked, took temperatures, masks, shields, plexiglass at reception, air purifiers, etc etc in other words, we were not "super spreaders" by any means
don't...don't don't don't don't

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #10230 on: May 16, 2021, 08:47:19 PM »
The best thing for public health at this point is getting higher levels of vaccination.  Supply is now > demand and there are active efforts to meet people in their communities to offer vaccines. Additionally states that have accelerated vaccines are ready for this.  Finally level of spread is getting crushed. 

I know this may seem abrupt or scary and people need to warm up to it, but it’s time. 

Here is a helpful Twitter thread trying to argue against the various criticisms

https://twitter.com/dleonhardt/status/1393243493473079299?s=21

It was good until this: "Plus, there is no clear reason to believe these new guidelines will actually cause the unvaccinated to stop wearing masks. "
Reading my locals FB feed, Next Door, etc., as well as watching the news interviews shows that the anti-vaxxers, hoaxers, et. al. are ripping their masks off the minute this was announced and are proudly strutting through stores maskless and unvaccinated.
To believe other behavior is foolish and naive and shows one has not paid attention in the last year+.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #10231 on: May 17, 2021, 04:31:54 AM »

It was good until this: "Plus, there is no clear reason to believe these new guidelines will actually cause the unvaccinated to stop wearing masks. "
Reading my locals FB feed, Next Door, etc., as well as watching the news interviews shows that the anti-vaxxers, hoaxers, et. al. are ripping their masks off the minute this was announced and are proudly strutting through stores maskless and unvaccinated.
To believe other behavior is foolish and naive and shows one has not paid attention in the last year+.

Right. But the alternative is what?  Have them go unvaccinated for <insert time here> and have them rip off their masks then.

Maybe they could have waited until the end of the school year at most. But this was inevitable at some point.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

• All American
« Reply #10232 on: May 17, 2021, 08:50:00 AM »
Texas Rangers host a sellout crowd for Opening Day with no Covid-19 restrictions.  According to the article I read it was also the first time attendance restrictions were not in effect for any major sporting event in the United States:

https://www.fox4news.com/sports/texas-rangers-host-near-sellout-crowd-for-2021-home-opener-with-no-covid-19-attendance-restrictions

Definitely not something I'd feel comfortable attending but it obviously wasn't a concern for a lot of people.

Texas opening up back in April had no significant impact on Covid rates in Texas. 

https://www.nber.org/papers/w28804

But it didn't have much economic impact either.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MU82

• All American
« Reply #10233 on: May 17, 2021, 09:28:46 AM »
Again, many sad stories about "long-haulers" ...

According to a study published in the Annals of Clinical and Translational Neurology, even after the acute infection cleared, an overwhelming number of people who contracted the virus but who were never hospitalized report a string of neurological problems including brain fog, fatigue, dizziness, headaches, numbness and tingling.

Brain fog is the most common.

Commonly called post-COVID syndrome or long COVID, the National Institutes of Health only recently dubbed this condition as “Post-Acute Sequelae of SARS-CoV-2 infection,” or PASC.

Experts are still working to define it. Some consider patients to have the syndrome if they continue to have symptoms four to six weeks after their initial infection resolves; others say 12 weeks.

The seriousness of SARS-CoV-2 has been discounted among some because of what they say is a relatively low mortality rate, even as that death rate is actually orders of magnitude higher than for the seasonal flu.

Now, there is more evidence of people who didn’t even have severe cases of COVID being waylaid by this lingering, life-changing disease up to a year later.

A study published by researchers from the University of Washington suggests that 10 to 30 percent of COVID patients have one or more symptoms of long COVID, including intense fatigue, chest pain, brain fog, shortness of breath and loss of taste and smell.

That means that in the United States, where there are more than 32 million cases of COVID-19, as many as 9.6 million people may still be experiencing long haul symptoms after they no longer test positive for the virus.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

tower912

• All American
« Reply #10234 on: May 17, 2021, 10:38:18 AM »
My sense of smell is still messed up 6 months in.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #10235 on: May 17, 2021, 11:04:33 AM »
Right. But the alternative is what? Have them go unvaccinated for <insert time here> and have them rip off their masks then.

Maybe they could have waited until the end of the school year at most. But this was inevitable at some point.

Other than the delay you mentioned so that 12-15 year olds could get safely vaxxed, I am not sure of the answer. How to fix stupid is not an easy task.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #10236 on: May 17, 2021, 11:14:42 AM »
My sense of smell is still messed up 6 months in.

Sorry to hear that, tower. I know quite a few folks who have been affected for many months, in some cases almost a year. Loss of smell, loss of taste, terrible headaches, lethargy and rapid heartbeat have been the main maladies.

Damn this virus!

tower912

• All American
« Reply #10237 on: May 17, 2021, 12:51:19 PM »
Sorry to hear that, tower. I know quite a few folks who have been affected for many months, in some cases almost a year. Loss of smell, loss of taste, terrible headaches, lethargy and rapid heartbeat have been the main maladies.

Damn this virus!
According to my wife, I always had lousy taste anyway.  Except of course, when I chose her.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #10238 on: May 20, 2021, 06:38:05 AM »
Right. But the alternative is what?  Have them go unvaccinated for <insert time here> and have them rip off their masks then.

Exactly.  Personally, I don't see the US vaccine numbers approaching 'true' herd immunity.  And a lot of the people who didn't get vaccinated (because of their feelings) will feel justified in their decision.  The only way we get to 'true' herd immunity is if there is a spike in the fall and the remaining vaccine hesitant people hear that there is full approval for the vaccine.

Otherwise, we're still on my timeline of everything basically open by Memorial Day.  Even Dane County is eliminating emergency orders on 6/2.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #10239 on: May 23, 2021, 02:38:46 PM »
https://twitter.com/Anthony/status/1396544753194373121?s=19

Let's let this play out as WSJ also reported WMDs in Iraq

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #10240 on: May 24, 2021, 07:45:47 AM »
https://mobile.twitter.com/SquawkCNBC/status/1396797176647278598

The idea it was a lab leak is becoming fairly mainstream at this point.  Tom Cotton, Pompeo, and Trump look to be correct when they were saying this a year ago.

Fauci.....again wrong

🏀

• All American
« Reply #10241 on: May 24, 2021, 07:50:14 AM »

The idea it was a lab leak is becoming fairly mainstream at this point.  Tom Cotton, Pompeo, and Trump look to be correct when they were saying this a year ago.

Fauci.....again wrong

Gray area attack?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #10242 on: May 24, 2021, 07:57:55 AM »

Fauci.....again wrong

Yeah, and I can't believe Fauci told his terrorists to "LIBERATE" Michigan, Minnesota and Virginia on April 17, 2020, just 18 hours after he presented guidelines and benchmarks for re-opening their economies ... or that Fauci sent out his son-in-law to declare victory over COVID-19 on April 29, 2020 ... or that Fauci repeatedly held no-mask, no-social-distancing, super-spreader rallies against the advice of his own people (RIP Herman Cain). Damn Fauci!

tower912

• All American
« Reply #10243 on: May 24, 2021, 08:03:55 AM »
Fauci didn't discuss injecting bleach.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #10244 on: May 24, 2021, 08:16:15 AM »
Fauci lied. People died.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #10245 on: May 24, 2021, 08:22:24 AM »
Nice reboot of the old Bush-Cheney mantra.   I had forgotten about that.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #10246 on: May 24, 2021, 08:43:34 AM »
Fauci lied. People died.

he could have been A LOT more help than he put forth.  this guy knew more than he led us to believe depending on which way the wind was blowing  he could have been an international hero if he wasn't so wishy-washy.  he knew what was going on, but provided cover for as long as he could.  especially thru january 20
don't...don't don't don't don't

tower912

• All American
« Reply #10247 on: May 24, 2021, 08:46:47 AM »
His former boss wanted to fire him for telling as much truth as he did.

« Last Edit: May 24, 2021, 08:52:30 AM by tower912 »

• All American
« Reply #10248 on: May 24, 2021, 08:48:28 AM »
Fauci didn’t lie. Fauci didn’t know everything.  He’s a public health figure who was right more than he was wrong. That’s all.

Has he been lifted up too much as the voice of authority?  Yep.

Has he been vilified by other cause they want to excuse the poor presidential leadership in place last year?  No doubt.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #10249 on: May 24, 2021, 09:07:23 AM »
Fauci is so f'n incompetent...he should have been FIRED.  I don't get how he kept a job for the past 4 years.  I hate that Presidents are stuck with federal employees and don't have any say in who works for the federal government.  I know that if DJT was able to he would have rid America of that fool.  Why is American government set up so poorly, why can't well intentioned POTUSes get to pick their own people?
« Last Edit: May 24, 2021, 09:12:41 AM by The Lens »
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

feedback