collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")  (Read 1127404 times)

Warriors4ever

• All American
Re: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")
« Reply #9675 on: February 08, 2021, 01:25:40 AM »
Thanks a lot. Between the stupidity of the tweet and some of the photos in the responses, I may never have a good night’s sleep again.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #9676 on: February 08, 2021, 09:28:36 AM »

i don't know, but i worked as hard if not harder than anyone.  easy for you to say 30+ years later.  if i was bumming on the street with my same background, how does that figure into your little theory.  chit could have gone either way man.  i knew good from bad, right from wrong.  shouldn't be a difficult lesson for BLM to teach either

and your "disgruntled hogs" have had their way since ohhh, last may with encouragement from most dem pols.  i would call that incitement.  especially from heals up harris who encouraged contributions to free the anarchists so they wouldn't miss out on burning another police precinct.  as usual, the narrative from jan 6 has been polluted with the usual crap.  it was bad, should never have happened, but once again, let's hear the rest of the story and you guys will as usual, not have to answer to any of it

So on brand.  You didn't work harder than anyone, your basketball hoop was just 6 feet tall and you're bragging about dunking.  If you were 'bumming on the street' with your background, then you failed harder because of your privileged background.  But that happens to a lot of people.

Stop being so fragile.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #9677 on: February 08, 2021, 12:42:22 PM »
Folks don't have to have died to have their lives turned all upside down by having caught COVID-19.

For example, this from the LA Times:

LOS ANGELES In her quest to overcome one of COVID-19’s strangest symptoms, Mariana Castro-Salzman was willing to try anything.

The 32-year-old visited an oncologist and got a CT scan of her head. She saw an ear, nose and throat doctor. Took steroids. Went to a neurologist who put her on anti-anxiety medication.

She began sniffing essential oils every day. A homeopath prescribed bath flowers, supplements and chaga mushrooms.

And yet, nearly a year after recovering from the coronavirus, her senses of smell and taste are still scrambled. Onions and garlic evoke a nausea that has nothing to do with their actual scent. Coffee smells like a burned tire, but worse.

Because of the distorted smells, a condition known as parosmia, she has endured headaches and lost weight.

“It’s like a mind game, because you remember all the smells and tastes, but then the second you put it in your mouth, it’s nothing like it used to be,” the Los Angeles resident said. “It’s like a completely different experience.”

Loss of taste or smell may be the first thing that prompts someone to get tested for a coronavirus infection. Some studies, in fact, have found it to be the best predictor. (Researchers have even questioned whether smell tests are a better screening tool than temperature checks.)

But though a majority of people recover their senses within weeks, 10% suffer long-term smell dysfunction, some researchers estimate. In Castro-Salzman’s case, it started out with anosmia – complete loss of smell – before developing into parosmia.

Last week, I read another article about the thousands upon thousands of people who have not regained their sense of taste. It's hard for me to grasp how frustrating, how awful, that must be for them.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

tower912

• All American
« Reply #9678 on: February 08, 2021, 01:12:51 PM »
I still can't smell.   Taste is ok for the most part.  3 months in.   The good news is I can't smell my 14 year old's boy funk.   Or his shoes.  And my poop don't stink.   Crazy stuff.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #9679 on: February 08, 2021, 01:15:54 PM »
Folks don't have to have died to have their lives turned all upside down by having caught COVID-19.

For example, this from the LA Times:

LOS ANGELES In her quest to overcome one of COVID-19’s strangest symptoms, Mariana Castro-Salzman was willing to try anything.

The 32-year-old visited an oncologist and got a CT scan of her head. She saw an ear, nose and throat doctor. Took steroids. Went to a neurologist who put her on anti-anxiety medication.

She began sniffing essential oils every day. A homeopath prescribed bath flowers, supplements and chaga mushrooms.

And yet, nearly a year after recovering from the coronavirus, her senses of smell and taste are still scrambled. Onions and garlic evoke a nausea that has nothing to do with their actual scent. Coffee smells like a burned tire, but worse.

Because of the distorted smells, a condition known as parosmia, she has endured headaches and lost weight.

“It’s like a mind game, because you remember all the smells and tastes, but then the second you put it in your mouth, it’s nothing like it used to be,” the Los Angeles resident said. “It’s like a completely different experience.”

Loss of taste or smell may be the first thing that prompts someone to get tested for a coronavirus infection. Some studies, in fact, have found it to be the best predictor. (Researchers have even questioned whether smell tests are a better screening tool than temperature checks.)

But though a majority of people recover their senses within weeks, 10% suffer long-term smell dysfunction, some researchers estimate. In Castro-Salzman’s case, it started out with anosmia – complete loss of smell – before developing into parosmia.

Last week, I read another article about the thousands upon thousands of people who have not regained their sense of taste. It's hard for me to grasp how frustrating, how awful, that must be for them.

Agreed. Add up all the long-term (possibly permanent) losses of taste and/or smell, breathing difficulties, cognitive impairments and other Covid-related long-term symptoms, and this pandemic has caused a mind-boggling amount of misery even for people who survive.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #9680 on: February 08, 2021, 01:20:47 PM »
I still can't smell.   Taste is ok for the most part.  3 months in.   The good news is I can't smell my 14 year old's boy funk.   Or his shoes.  And my poop don't stink.   Crazy stuff.

One of my coworkers says she's only at about 50% taste & smell (but oddly with good and bad days) after about 7 months!

tower912

• All American
« Reply #9681 on: February 08, 2021, 01:37:22 PM »
I have started getting random, impossible, phantom smells.   Beef stroganoff when we haven't eaten it in months.  UTI urine smell inside my surgical mask while shoveling snow. 

But I walk into a kitchen or pick up a pizza and I get  half a whiff lasting about 2 seconds and then it is gone.   On a good day.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

MU82

• All American
« Reply #9682 on: February 08, 2021, 02:04:48 PM »

Dang, tower. Sad to hear that.

Knowing you, you take it in stride and you know you're lucky for all the things you have. But that really sucks, and I'm hoping you regain your full sense of smell over time.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #9683 on: February 08, 2021, 02:26:09 PM »
Look at it dis wey. Yo wife kan fart in bedd and both of yew ar good, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #9684 on: February 08, 2021, 02:34:35 PM »
I have started getting random, impossible, phantom smells.   Beef stroganoff when we haven't eaten it in months.  UTI urine smell inside my surgical mask while shoveling snow. 

But I walk into a kitchen or pick up a pizza and I get  half a whiff lasting about 2 seconds and then it is gone.   On a good day.

Maybe stop hanging the surgery mask on the under side of the toilet lid?

But seriously that's rough, odd also. Not exactly what I had envisioned the anosmia would be like.
Maigh Eo for Sam

tower912

• All American
« Reply #9685 on: February 08, 2021, 02:49:39 PM »
Every case is different.   Weird stuff.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #9686 on: February 08, 2021, 03:01:19 PM »
Every case is different.   Weird stuff.

Yeah, for sure.  I know plenty of people that had full smell back in a week or so.

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #9687 on: February 11, 2021, 07:45:46 PM »
https://nypost.com/2021/02/11/cuomo-aide-admits-they-hid-nursing-home-data-from-feds/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Another day, another story.  To think this guy won an Emmy or something for his leadership and handling of the pandemic, yikes.

Warriors4ever

• All American

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #9689 on: February 12, 2021, 06:13:31 AM »
https://nypost.com/2021/02/11/cuomo-aide-admits-they-hid-nursing-home-data-from-feds/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Another day, another story.  To think this guy won an Emmy or something for his leadership and handling of the pandemic, yikes.

You gonna beat this into the ground orrrrrrr...?

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #9690 on: February 12, 2021, 07:08:23 AM »
Don't encourage the troll
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #9691 on: February 12, 2021, 07:48:59 AM »

Now do Florida.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #9692 on: February 12, 2021, 08:17:17 AM »

The news that Cuomo hid numbers* broke yesterday.  It's not beating into the ground, it's an evolving story that keeps getting more horrific for the old folks of NY.

*his aide admitted it.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #9693 on: February 12, 2021, 08:23:08 AM »
The news that Cuomo hid numbers* broke yesterday.  It's not beating into the ground, it's an evolving story that keeps getting more horrific for the old folks of NY.

*his aide admitted it.

Yeah it's a genuinely bad look. Whether it's Gov Cuomo or Gov Scott. Anybody should be able to objectively say it's the wrong thing to do...For both... on either side.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #9694 on: February 12, 2021, 08:26:08 AM »

*his aide admitted it.

The AG held a press conference weeks ago, and I posted the article.  This is just an aide confirming what the AG said.  Here is the article again.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/ny-nursing-home-virus-deaths-155409236.html

tower912

• All American
« Reply #9695 on: February 12, 2021, 08:30:22 AM »
https://www.clevescene.com/scene-and-heard/archives/2021/02/11/ohio-undercounted-covid-deaths-by-4000-department-of-health-says

What this tells me is that the number of deaths from COVID is higher than the official count.    And it is time to bring it all out.   

Warrior2008

• Starter
« Reply #9696 on: February 12, 2021, 10:01:11 AM »
Yeah it's a genuinely bad look. Whether it's Gov Cuomo or Gov Scott. Anybody should be able to objectively say it's the wrong thing to do...For both... on either side.

Well said. The lengths people will go to defend poor behavior or bad decisions because they have a R or a D next to their name is disgusting and yet now a norm in our country. Instead of accountability for our leaders, people immediately jump to whataboutism and circle the wagons.

Cuomo screwed up royally sending recovering covid patients into nursing homes, then hid the data all the while releasing a book about what a great job he was doing. DeSantis very clearly got caught concealing covid deaths prior to the November election and then restarted counting them again later in November.  He also fired a data scientist who created a very accurate covid dashboard for the state. It shouldn’t be so hard to criticize these politicians, then genuinely could care less about any of us regardless of our political persuasions.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #9697 on: February 12, 2021, 10:34:01 AM »
https://www.clevescene.com/scene-and-heard/archives/2021/02/11/ohio-undercounted-covid-deaths-by-4000-department-of-health-says

What this tells me is that the number of deaths from COVID is higher than the official count.    And it is time to bring it all out.

and the people that had covid but died in car crashes and were counted as covid deaths?

Chitty counting on  both the over and the under count.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #9698 on: February 12, 2021, 10:52:43 AM »

Still to this day, many states will not count a case, or a death as COVID without a positive PCR test while they were alive.

That means they can have a positive rapid-antigen test, diagnosed with COVID, and have double pneumonia cause their death, and that state will not count the death as COVID related.

Intentionally undercounting COVID deaths is a national game, to make leaders in charge look better. That effort started at the top.

deerchaser

• Starter
« Reply #9699 on: February 12, 2021, 11:02:02 AM »
and the people that had covid but died in car crashes and were counted as covid deaths?

Chitty counting on  both the over and the under count.

The article's pretty vague as to the reasons for the undercount, but a quick search of Ohio motor vehicle deaths came up with 1,150 in 2019. Assuming that number is relatively consistent and even if you assume every one has COVID and is classified as such (seems highly unlikely) it seems this error would be outweighed by the undercount.

feedback