collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")  (Read 1127447 times)

Warriors4ever

• All American
Re: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")
« Reply #8400 on: September 23, 2020, 08:58:57 PM »
And Illinois has parents and students organizing protests demanding to play fall sports ( it’s really about football) on the basis that the surrounding states are playing. One student was quoted as asserting his right to take the chance of getting infected.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #8401 on: September 23, 2020, 09:36:29 PM »
The flu circulates the globe readily. Strains originate from all over the world, including the US. The Spanish Flu originated in the US or Mexico in swine populations. Other strains are constantly circulating in the population, both domestically and abroad.

They simply spread more readily in the winter "flu seasons", in more temperate/seasonal climates.

One reason for the idea that they "come from Asia" is that in East Asia there is a large population base not too far from the equator, where there really aren't seasons. That means that H3N2 strains can circulate in that population continuously and often aggressively, and then new strains of H3N2 can circulate from that reservoir. Historically there is widespread tracking of this reservoir.

That isn't the case with H1N1 strains, or other new strains that emerge from animal populations. Those emerge anywhere.

Don’t forget “even your strenuous flus.”
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #8402 on: September 23, 2020, 09:51:48 PM »
Ja Morant: Joey Hauser :: Anthony Fauci: Rand Paul

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #8405 on: September 24, 2020, 01:41:29 PM »
Who do you trust more regarding COVID-19 information?

https://twitter.com/ryanstruyk/status/1308832034106806275?s=19

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #8406 on: September 24, 2020, 02:01:54 PM »
Who do you trust more regarding COVID-19 information?

https://twitter.com/ryanstruyk/status/1308832034106806275?s=19
It's been said before but bears repeating....when you see your leader as the only provider of truth and believe him over experts at any cost you are in a cult.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #8407 on: September 24, 2020, 02:09:07 PM »
Related, FBI Director Christopher Wray:

"I would encourage people to be critical thinkers, and to get their news from a variety of sources and make up their own mind and be a skeptical, discerning electorate — which is what I think is the best defense against malign foreign influence" https://t.co/EGHKdmqUgi

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #8408 on: September 24, 2020, 10:02:14 PM »
The United States has surpassed 7,000,000 cases of COVID-19.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #8409 on: September 24, 2020, 11:04:18 PM »
Mayo program focuses on post-COVID syndrome

https://www.postbulletin.com/newsmd/coronavirus/6676912-Mayo-program-focuses-on-post-COVID-syndrome

Engen's condition, post-COVID syndrome, is one that experts struggle to quantify. It's presumed to be a fraction of those infected. One estimate puts the number of COVID-19 patients who later develop chronic issues at 10 percent. But that would represent hundreds of thousand of patients, given the millions that have been infected in the U.S.
These are patients that no longer have the virus, but are still suffering the withering effects of deconditioning, inflammation and other side effects of the illness.

The program serves people severely impacted by the disease, including post-ICU patients. But it also treated a Navy Seal, distance runners and people like Engen, whose symptoms started off as mild but then ratcheted up to something worse.

————————

More people need to recognize that death is not the only significant consequence of this illness, and that serious long-term problems aren’t limited to patients with pre-existing conditions.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #8410 on: September 25, 2020, 11:18:04 AM »
More people need to recognize that death is not the only significant consequence of this illness, and that serious long-term problems aren’t limited to patients with pre-existing conditions.

Not necessarily significant (that we know), but one of my coworkers still can't smell or taste anything 2+ months after testing negative (after obviously testing positive). 

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #8411 on: September 25, 2020, 11:22:10 AM »
Not necessarily significant (that we know), but one of my coworkers still can't smell or taste anything 2+ months after testing negative (after obviously testing positive).

I've been curious, is it taste/smell anything or is it more like after some people have strokes or other issues and need super salty, Smokey, Spicey flavors to get any taste whatsoever?
Maigh Eo for Sam

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #8412 on: September 25, 2020, 11:31:24 AM »

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #8413 on: September 25, 2020, 11:31:54 AM »
I've been curious, is it taste/smell anything or is it more like after some people have strokes or other issues and need super salty, Smokey, Spicey flavors to get any taste whatsoever?

I'll enquire next time we chat.  As I understood, it was everything.  Was drinking cheap/bad wine in a virtual happy hour because it didn't matter.  Could only feel the burn of whiskey after swallowing, no flavors.  But as you can tell, my questions mostly involved adult beverages :)

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #8414 on: September 25, 2020, 11:35:03 AM »
I'll enquire next time we chat.  As I understood, it was everything.  Was drinking cheap/bad wine in a virtual happy hour because it didn't matter.  Could only feel the burn of whiskey after swallowing, no flavors.  But as you can tell, my questions mostly involved adult beverages :)

Honestly my mind went straight Islay Scotch and strong Mezcal. my GF's dad drinks those after he lost taste and smell from a stroke now it's the only two drinks he can taste
Maigh Eo for Sam

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #8415 on: September 25, 2020, 01:28:05 PM »

Florida Man:

https://twitter.com/JonLemire/status/1309530248975876107?s=19

There are a lot of bad decisions being made. Check out the brilliant decision in North Dakota, home of the highest per capita case rate over the past 7 days:

https://www.inforum.com/newsmd/coronavirus/6677727-North-Dakota-rescinds-quarantine-order-for-close-contacts-in-defiance-of-federal-health-guidelines

I guess having the highest per capita rate isn't enough....

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #8416 on: September 25, 2020, 01:57:56 PM »
Father of BYU OL Tristen Hoge says Hoge has pneumonia after contracting COVID-19

https://sports.yahoo.com/father-of-byu-ol-tristen-hoge-says-hoge-has-pneumonia-after-contracting-covid-19-212117876.html

Hoge, a senior, transferred to BYU from Notre Dame and has been a starter on the Cougars’ offensive line. Marty Hoge said in his video that his son’s coronavirus case should be a reminder for people to take the virus seriously.

“Those of you who are skeptical of ‘man it’s just a cold or a cough’ and no effects — man, I gotta admit that I was maybe one of them,” Hoge said. “But when it hits home, you’ve got to keep it real.”

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #8417 on: September 25, 2020, 02:08:35 PM »
Since the Wisconsin thread is just a pissing contest between FIBS and guys who wear cheese on their heads, I will post this here.

Wisconsin on Thursday logged the highest number of people hospitalized with the coronavirus since the pandemic began, and reported nearly 2,400 new coronavirus cases, the second-highest daily case count ever.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #8418 on: September 25, 2020, 02:11:55 PM »
Father of BYU OL Tristen Hoge says Hoge has pneumonia after contracting COVID-19

https://sports.yahoo.com/father-of-byu-ol-tristen-hoge-says-hoge-has-pneumonia-after-contracting-covid-19-212117876.html

Hoge, a senior, transferred to BYU from Notre Dame and has been a starter on the Cougars’ offensive line. Marty Hoge said in his video that his son’s coronavirus case should be a reminder for people to take the virus seriously.

“Those of you who are skeptical of ‘man it’s just a cold or a cough’ and no effects — man, I gotta admit that I was maybe one of them,” Hoge said. “But when it hits home, you’ve got to keep it real.”

I have a very healthy, fit young adult relative that wasn't feeling off and on for about 10 days recently. He just toughened it out.

Symptoms would come and go. Cough attacks, some seemingly cold and/or food allergy type symptoms.
Suddenly early evening one night, intense pain lower left side of abdomen. Urgent Care, COVID-19 Negative. Hospital Emergency stop same night. He had an infection and pneumonia. However, his fluid was not a typical lower lung location and instead waa scattered outside of the lung and was more of a pudding type substance. Two days later, and a Cardio-Thoracic Lung Surgeon later, all of it was removed during a 1.5 to 2 hour procedure to prevent further infection and complications. The surgeon does 1-2 of them per week in healthy 20 something's to 90 somethings.

My relative went home a week later and is recovering slowly with ample nerve pain over the next 2-4 weeks. but, otherwise fine. He is fortunate.

Gotta take the virus seriously, as well as any mental, physical, emotional health matters.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #8419 on: September 25, 2020, 02:23:07 PM »
Since the Wisconsin thread is just a pissing contest between FIBS and guys who wear cheese on their heads, I will post this here.

Wisconsin on Thursday logged the highest number of people hospitalized with the coronavirus since the pandemic began, and reported nearly 2,400 new coronavirus cases, the second-highest daily case count ever.

Something like this would probably move the topic back on track.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #8420 on: September 25, 2020, 02:51:50 PM »
Something like this would probably move the topic back on track.

You would think so, right? But I tried posting something like this in the Wisconsin thread a day or two ago, and it didn’t even register.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #8421 on: September 25, 2020, 02:54:36 PM »
You would think so, right? But I tried posting something like this in the Wisconsin thread a day or two ago, and it didn’t even register.

I mean, what are we supposed to do or say that hasn't been done or said dozens of times already?

Cases are going up.  Hospitalizations are going up.  Deaths will follow.

Hopefully it won't be a repeat of New York in April or Texas, Florida and Arizona this summer.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #8422 on: September 25, 2020, 03:00:48 PM »
I mean, what are we supposed to do or say that hasn't been done or said dozens of times already?

Hopefully it won't be a repeat of New York in April or Texas, Florida and Arizona this summer.

You answered your own question. That kind of response would’ve been a lot more on topic than the stuff that is being discussed in the Wisconsin thread right now.

And FWIW, today’s news isn’t just that cases and hospitalizations are going up; it’s that COVID hospitalizations reached a new all-time high for Wisconsin. That’s pretty significant.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #8423 on: September 25, 2020, 06:12:49 PM »

Maybe don't say anything for a change.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #8424 on: September 25, 2020, 07:32:18 PM »
Non-elected Missouri Governor Mike Parson has been a big anti-masker. He has previously deferred to local authorities throughout the state on all things pandemic. He has previously said, "You don't need the government to tell you to wear a dang mask. If you want to wear a mask, wear a mask."

He has been seen at many events without a mask throughout the pandemic.

Today, Missouri Governor Mike Parson and his wife announce they have tested positive for COVID-19.

They of course still aren't interested in wearing masks or encouraging others to do so.

He will have to reschedule his debate with opponent Nicole Galloway as he will be in quarantine.

And here come the record nunber of cases. The Anti-Mask rural counties venture into the larger urban metros putting others there at risk. And, those COVID-19 positive rural counties have reached hospital capacity so they have to transfer patients to the larger 3 million pop  metro areas.

Meanwhile the Anti Mask COVID-19 Governor quarantines.

https://www.stltoday.com/lifestyles/health-med-fit/coronavirus/missouri-reports-record-number-of-covid-19-hospitalizations/article_f52b9d40-f8dd-53ef-9aaf-ba9f1cddd367.amp.html?utm_campaign=snd-autopilot&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter_stltoday&__twitter_impression=true