collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")  (Read 1127367 times)

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
Re: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")
« Reply #8100 on: September 08, 2020, 12:29:23 PM »
I provided.  His charts are compelling.  You prefer russia today.com though
Pretty clear he's a troll.

Trolly troll gonna troll.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #8101 on: September 08, 2020, 02:13:31 PM »
I wasn't sure it would be best to post thin in the 'masks' or 'vaccines' thread...so decided just to put it here in the main COVID thread.

A New Theory Asks: Could a Mask Be a Crude ‘Vaccine’?

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/08/health/covid-masks-immunity.html

Still unproven - and it probably never will be, because you can't set up a proper study to test it - but some scientists are suggesting that masks might sometimes let just enough of the virus through so that you don't get a full-blown infection, but you do generate an immune response.

I'm guessing that - if it ever happens at all - it is mostly a freak occurrence. Kind of a perfect storm of the right viral load with the right person (in terms of immune health and the absence of significant risk factors). Still, an interesting theory.

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #8102 on: September 08, 2020, 02:44:31 PM »
https://mobile.twitter.com/andrewbostom/status/1303401597221957640

🙏🤞🙏 these numbers stay consistent.  Protect the vulnerable!!!

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #8103 on: September 08, 2020, 02:45:43 PM »
Sturgis Motorcycle Rally generate d public health costs of $12.2 Billion.

250,000 cases are believed to be linked to the rally, roughly 19% of all national cases between Aug 2 and Sept 2.

I would take this with an enormous grain of salt.

https://www.iza.org/publications/dp/13670

Plaque Lives Matter!

• Starter
« Reply #8104 on: September 08, 2020, 03:22:49 PM »
A Smashmouth concert is well worth it.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #8105 on: September 08, 2020, 03:26:43 PM »
A Smashmouth concert is well worth it.

I really hope everyone there belted out the "I ain't the sharpest tool in the shed" line
Maigh Eo for Sam

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #8106 on: September 08, 2020, 03:38:10 PM »
Question.  What does taking something with an enormous grain of salt mean.

The small size of the a normal grain of salt would make sense to dismiss. But if the grain is enormous, how can you do anything but pay attention to it. 
« Last Edit: September 08, 2020, 03:39:43 PM by Frenns Liquor Depot »

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #8107 on: September 08, 2020, 03:55:38 PM »
Question.  What does taking something with an enormous grain of salt mean.

The small size of the a normal grain of salt would make sense to dismiss. But if the grain is enormous, how can you do anything but pay attention to it.

According to legend, the phrase originated because something would be ‘easier to swallow’ with the taste of salt. Given that most Americans eat a lot more salt than we ought to, I suspect a big grain of salt would be necessary to have the same effect as a small grain would have in the 17th century.

https://www.bloomsbury-international.com/student-ezone/idiom-of-the-week/1326-take-it-with-a-grain-of-salt/
« Last Edit: September 08, 2020, 03:57:39 PM by GooooMarquette »

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #8108 on: September 08, 2020, 04:08:02 PM »
https://mobile.twitter.com/andrewbostom/status/1303401597221957640

🙏🤞🙏 these numbers stay consistent.  Protect the vulnerable!!!

Well I know for a fact the numbers in that tweet are false, as I am aware of students at two of those institutions that have been hospitalized.

I think they are getting their numbers from the fact that most universities to not report hospitalizations of students, and those that do, are reliant on the students self reporting that they are in the hospital, most of whom would not do so.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #8109 on: September 08, 2020, 04:19:28 PM »
Well I know for a fact the numbers in that tweet are false, as I am aware of students at two of those institutions that have been hospitalized.

I think they are getting their numbers from the fact that most universities to not report hospitalizations of students, and those that do, are reliant on the students self reporting that they are in the hospital, most of whom would not do so.

Yeah, I don't know how he would get those numbers.  For instance, here is Ohio State's dashboard.

https://safeandhealthy.osu.edu/dashboard

So he got the 1,500 number correct.  Where does he come up with the zero hospitalizations?  There is no stat on this dashboard. 
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #8110 on: September 08, 2020, 04:23:23 PM »

Yeah, I don't know how he would get those numbers.  For instance, here is Ohio State's dashboard.

So he got the 1,500 number correct.  Where does he come up with the zero hospitalizations?  There is no stat on this dashboard.

My guess: he can’t find any indication that there have been hospitalizations, so is simply assuming that there aren’t any. Solid scientific method....

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #8111 on: September 08, 2020, 04:41:16 PM »

My guess: he can’t find any indication that there have been hospitalizations, so is simply assuming that there aren’t any. Solid scientific method....

Except he didn't even try to look hard.

https://www.kwch.com/2020/07/30/k-state-student-hospitalized-with-covid-19-shares-story/

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #8112 on: September 08, 2020, 04:54:45 PM »
Except he didn't even try to look hard.

https://www.kwch.com/2020/07/30/k-state-student-hospitalized-with-covid-19-shares-story/

I’m guessing this link you posted is talking about the student referenced at the bottom of the graph I posted.  Never said no college kid has been or will be hospitalized moving forward but I am certain that more college aged kids will be hospitalized for alcohol poisoning or other related partying injuries then they will be for Covid. 

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #8113 on: September 08, 2020, 04:57:11 PM »
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

Also significant significant drop in deaths the last few days.  Might be reporting delays from the holiday weekend, will be interesting to see how this trend plays out over next week or so.  🙏👍🙏👍🤞🙏🤞

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #8114 on: September 08, 2020, 05:08:46 PM »

Was digging into that dashboard for THE Ohio St and surprised to see the % positive for both students and employees is lower for this on campus compared to off?

Saving in the controlled environment possibly??

• All American
« Reply #8115 on: September 08, 2020, 05:43:21 PM »
Was digging into that dashboard for THE Ohio St and surprised to see the % positive for both students and employees is lower for this on campus compared to off?

Saving in the controlled environment possibly??

Because they tested everyone.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #8116 on: September 08, 2020, 05:45:59 PM »
I’m guessing this link you posted is talking about the student referenced at the bottom of the graph I posted. 

No, the student in the link I provided was diagnosed, hospitalized, and treated for COVID. She ended up having to have part of her lung removed due to damage caused by COVID. 20 years old and otherwise healthy. Her case went a bit viral, because she was trying to get the word out to other college kids. Her case was not an instance of Kawasaki's, but when a person discounts hospitalizations due to COVID-induced Kawasaki's  as not COVID, they are being intellectually dishonest.

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #8117 on: September 08, 2020, 06:00:36 PM »
No, the student in the link I provided was diagnosed, hospitalized, and treated for COVID. She ended up having to have part of her lung removed due to damage caused by COVID. 20 years old and otherwise healthy. Her case went a bit viral, because she was trying to get the word out to other college kids. Her case was not an instance of Kawasaki's, but when a person discounts hospitalizations due to COVID-induced Kawasaki's  as not COVID, they are being intellectually dishonest.

Ahhh, didn’t realize you were talking about a case from a couple months ago in the context of Covid and the returning of students to campus.  My bad.

• All American
« Reply #8118 on: September 08, 2020, 06:09:27 PM »
Ahhh, didn’t realize you were talking about a case from a couple months ago in the context of Covid and the returning of students to campus.  My bad.

???  These schools are reporting data from further back than the beginning of the semester.

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #8119 on: September 08, 2020, 06:12:29 PM »
???  These schools are reporting data from further back than the beginning of the semester.

For students who were enrolled in summer school, living on campus, or how does that work?

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #8120 on: September 08, 2020, 07:03:27 PM »
forgetful....I’ve always valued your input and ability to makes sense of these pretty complex studies.

Have you had a chance to review the sturgis study?  Thoughts?

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #8121 on: September 08, 2020, 07:48:42 PM »
https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamanetworkopen/fullarticle/2770250

More great news!!  What a day!!

Let’s get these kids all back in school full face to face, follow the science my fellow scoopers!! 

Listen to the eXpERts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• All American
« Reply #8122 on: September 08, 2020, 08:31:02 PM »
https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamanetworkopen/fullarticle/2770250

More great news!!  What a day!!

Let’s get these kids all back in school full face to face, follow the science my fellow scoopers!! 

Listen to the eXpERts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As long as spread can be controlled, I’m all in. The problem is that it spreads to those to whom it is more deadly. Doesn’t happen as much with flu.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #8123 on: September 08, 2020, 08:32:32 PM »
As long as spread can be controlled, I’m all in. The problem is that it spreads to those to whom it is more deadly. Doesn’t happen as much with flu.

You’d think people would understand this by now. But nope!
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #8124 on: September 08, 2020, 08:55:11 PM »

So, if you are in grammar school or high school and live with someone with 2 or co-morbidities, stay home and school virtually. If you are a teacher with 2 or more (or you’re living with someone who fits that description) stay home and teach virtually. Everybody else (vast majority), back in the pool?