collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")  (Read 1127372 times)

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
Re: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")
« Reply #6525 on: June 15, 2020, 11:07:36 AM »
FWIW, Google and Apple have already done the legwork to enable anonymous contact tracing through our phones, which probable covers 80-90% of US population.  All that needs to happen is for the US government to "bless" an app for us all to authenticate with.  Seems something that the CDC would normally be in charge of.  States don't need to handle it individually.

https://www.wired.com/story/covid-19-contact-tracing-apple-google/

I followed the instructions in the article, and sure enough, and update has been pushed to my phone so that the API is capable of contact tracing.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2020, 11:10:54 AM by rocky_warrior »

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #6526 on: June 15, 2020, 11:28:45 AM »
I don't disagree Fluffer. Early on Scott Gottleib said that this could be an Achilles heel.  We are only as good as the weakest link in this regard.  Then again.  If there is a scare in some places on hospitalization capacity, there is still time to get the infrastructure in place for when it matters most (fall).

Yep.

But the overall problem is there are too many who don't trust the government, don't trust science, and don't like pointy head types telling us the issue is complex.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #6527 on: June 15, 2020, 11:52:29 AM »
Yep.

But the overall problem is there are too many who don't trust the government, don't trust science, and don't like pointy head types telling us the issue is complex.

FWIW, I don’t think it’s necessarily fair to lump those together. There are plenty of intelligent people who believe and trust science who also aren’t a proponent of increased government oversight/control/tracking

And just to devils advocate further, Google developing “anonymous” contact tracing is kind of amusing given then excessive amount of grey area tracking, cataloging, and documenting personal data they have done for years.

From a pure efficacy standpoint, it’s actually totally beneficial to have a powerful, overarching, and controlling government to handle COVID. My associates in Dubai rave about how it was handled there, but that’s also a place with “normal” daily government intervention so grand it would shock many Americans.  But in more freedom based cultures, it’s a tough sell, and I get it both ways

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #6528 on: June 15, 2020, 11:57:30 AM »
FWIW, I don’t think it’s necessarily fair to lump those together. There are plenty of intelligent people who believe and trust science who also aren’t a proponent of increased government oversight/control/tracking

And just to devils advocate further, Google developing “anonymous” contact tracing is kind of amusing given then excessive amount of grey area tracking, cataloging, and documenting personal data they have done for years.

From a pure efficacy standpoint, it’s actually totally beneficial to have a powerful, overarching, and controlling government to handle COVID. My associates in Dubai rave about how it was handled there, but that’s also a place with “normal” daily government intervention so grand it would shock many Americans.  But in more freedom based cultures, it’s a tough sell, and I get it both ways

It doesnt have to take phone surveillance and tons of money either.  There are a lot of articles in addition to the one linked.  But for those thinking its impossible, they are doing this in Kerala, India.  If they can do it, I am pretty certain it's not an impossibility for us.

https://www.newindianexpress.com/states/kerala/2020/may/21/how-kerala-mastered-the-art-of-contact-tracing-to-fight-covid-19-save-lives-2146294.html

injuryBug

• Team Captain
« Reply #6529 on: June 15, 2020, 12:03:01 PM »
FWIW, Google and Apple have already done the legwork to enable anonymous contact tracing through our phones, which probable covers 80-90% of US population.  All that needs to happen is for the US government to "bless" an app for us all to authenticate with.  Seems something that the CDC would normally be in charge of.  States don't need to handle it individually.

I followed the instructions in the article, and sure enough, and update has been pushed to my phone so that the API is capable of contact tracing.

now if only everyone would do this that would help the fight

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #6530 on: June 15, 2020, 12:04:15 PM »
I don't disagree Fluffer. Early on Scott Gottleib said that this could be an Achilles heel.  We are only as good as the weakest link in this regard.  Then again.  If there is a scare in some places on hospitalization capacity, there is still time to get the infrastructure in place for when it matters most (fall).

Welcome to Florida, , achilles heel of the US.  Universal's water park opening.
https://www.fox35orlando.com/news/photos-of-crowds-at-universal-orlandos-volcano-bay-spark-concern/

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #6531 on: June 15, 2020, 12:14:57 PM »

Liberal democracies have also adopted the phone contact tracing.  The Australians are participating in massive numbers.  Probably not by mistake their death rates are so much lower than ours despite being a travel destination,  has a large Chinese/Asian minority, dense cities, etc..

We have handled is pandemic terribly and now a technology can help us managing contact tracing and we are concerned about losing some freedom?  Not good.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #6532 on: June 15, 2020, 12:21:37 PM »
Liberal democracies have also adopted the phone contact tracing.  The Australians are participating in massive numbers.  Probably not by mistake their death rates are so much lower than ours despite being a travel destination,  has a large Chinese/Asian minority, dense cities, etc..

We have handled is pandemic terribly and now a technology can help us managing contact tracing and we are concerned about losing some freedom?  Not good.

Has any state tried this technology? If not I wonder why that is. I mean, what about NYC?

I think there are a ton of privacy concerns here but if it can make a difference, just like masks, I'm all for it. What I can't figure out is why people outside of this board haven't figured this out.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #6533 on: June 15, 2020, 12:25:10 PM »
Has any state tried this technology? If not I wonder why that is. I mean, what about NYC?

I think there are a ton of privacy concerns here but if it can make a difference, just like masks, I'm all for it. What I can't figure out is why people outside of this board haven't figured this out.

After seeing Rocky's article, I just investigated my state.  They are opting for a more personal touch because of 'privacy concerns'.  So they traded better info for hopefully more people opting in and volunteering info when called by a tracer.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #6534 on: June 15, 2020, 12:40:17 PM »

Just investigated... my google pixel is capable of tracing. Now where do we easily/quickly find info about our states' decision on an app?

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #6535 on: June 15, 2020, 01:33:24 PM »
Practically speaking how does one contact trace with all that has gone on the last month or two? Not sure that you can put the type of infrastructure in place to trace the sheer volume of engagement we've seen. Put another way, is the spread so general that tracing is even practical.

We are certainly WAY behind where we should be because Trump has handcuffed the CDC. Still, if we were seriously ramping up efforts, we could catch some of the spread. And more important, when it surges again in the fall (and it will), we would have the infrastructure in place to stop it faster.

It all depends on whether the guy at the top lets the experts do their jobs....
« Last Edit: June 15, 2020, 01:35:06 PM by GooooMarquette »

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #6536 on: June 15, 2020, 02:12:17 PM »

We are certainly WAY behind where we should be because Trump has handcuffed the CDC. Still, if we were seriously ramping up efforts, we could catch some of the spread. And more important, when it surges again in the fall (and it will), we would have the infrastructure in place to stop it faster.

It all depends on whether the guy at the top lets the experts do their jobs....

I don't disagree with a coordinated federal component, but nothing is stopping from the states from executing a tracing effort is there?
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #6537 on: June 15, 2020, 02:55:28 PM »
I don't disagree with a coordinated federal component, but nothing is stopping from the states from executing a tracing effort is there?

Most states around me are trying from what I understand.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #6538 on: June 15, 2020, 05:54:19 PM »
If we stopped testing right now, we’d have very few cases.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2020, 05:56:42 PM by Jockey »

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #6539 on: June 15, 2020, 06:19:19 PM »

Most states or local public health authorities are trying, but they're figuring out how to do it from scratch, while the CDC has been doing it for years. So we could either have the A+ product from CDC, or a patchwork of anything from A+ to D- products around the country.

And even if a given state could come close to what the experts at CDC could do, there is still the limitation on contacts who move from state to state, or region to region within a state. A nationally-coordinated contact tracing effort could deal with that easily; a patchwork of differing state and local solutions might not be able to.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #6540 on: June 15, 2020, 06:32:51 PM »

What? Nobody is saying that. Absurdist arguments help nothing in this discussion

reinko

• All American
« Reply #6541 on: June 15, 2020, 06:38:48 PM »
What? Nobody is saying that. Absurdist arguments help nothing in this discussion

Uhh, the leader of the free world said it like 3 hours ago.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #6542 on: June 15, 2020, 06:45:07 PM »

Today’s reality in three posts.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #6543 on: June 15, 2020, 06:45:35 PM »

I’m talking in here. Constantly dragging Trump into the convo here does is create more political mud flinging. Which I suppose is exactly what was intended.

Today’s reality in three posts.

**Sorted out***
« Last Edit: June 15, 2020, 07:30:58 PM by JWags85 »

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #6544 on: June 15, 2020, 06:47:56 PM »
NM

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #6545 on: June 15, 2020, 07:24:01 PM »
I’m talking in here. Constantly dragging Trump into the convo here does is create more political mud flinging. Which I suppose is exactly what was intended.

Oh get bent you pretentious ass. Look through any of my previous posts and find that I’m not some MAGA moron and have been vocal in wishing for the COVID threads to be more topical.

Um, wow. I think you misunderstood my post. It certainly wasn’t a comment about you.
It was the general conversation represented today pretty well.
Someone posts something so outrageous that it is legitimately dismissed, but yet turns out that it was something the potus actually said.
That is all. Sorry if that did not come across clearly enough.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #6546 on: June 15, 2020, 07:33:28 PM »
New projection puts U.S. COVID-19 deaths at over 200,000 by October

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-usa-deaths-idUSKBN23M32C

A new forecast projects 201,129 deaths due to COVID-19 in the United States through the beginning of October mainly due to reopening measures under way, the Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation (IHME) at the University of Washington said on Monday.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #6547 on: June 15, 2020, 07:34:02 PM »
Um, wow. I think you misunderstood my post. It certainly wasn’t a comment about you.
It was the general conversation represented today pretty well.
Someone posts something so outrageous that it is legitimately dismissed, but yet turns out that it was something the potus actually said.
That is all. Sorry if that did not come across clearly enough.

Fair enough. It’s gotten so tribal in here it’s hard to tell sometimes, and lines being drawn hastily. All good

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #6548 on: June 15, 2020, 07:42:29 PM »
This is a good balanced article about the many reasons the hospitals in NYC were able to handle the surge which can be informative for some cities today and all areas in the fall.

https://www.propublica.org/article/how-americas-hospitals-survived-the-first-wave-of-the-coronavirus/amp?__twitter_impression=true

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #6549 on: June 15, 2020, 07:58:13 PM »

**Sorted out***

It does get tiresome, but it is the reality.

118,000+ dead. More dying every day. New hot spots popping up. No Federal leadership whatsoever. If we weren't so used to this garbage, the outcry would be deafening.

feedback