collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")  (Read 1127415 times)

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
Re: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")
« Reply #6300 on: June 08, 2020, 01:11:23 PM »
https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2020/06/08/asymptomatic-coronavirus-patients-arent-spreading-new-infections-who-says.html?__twitter_impression=true

So if you’re sick stay home or wear a mask when you’re out.  If you’re not sick forget the mask and go about your business?

That would be excellent news!
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #6301 on: June 08, 2020, 01:20:12 PM »

That would be excellent news!

Certainly would and if as they learn more this turns out to be the case all schools should be back on the fall with mandatory temp checks before coming in. 

Do we know what symptom presents first?  Kids and employees wear masks as they enter school and can’t remove until after passing the temp check.  Same for at a workplace.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #6302 on: June 08, 2020, 01:38:15 PM »
Certainly would and if as they learn more this turns out to be the case all schools should be back on the fall with mandatory temp checks before coming in. 

Do we know what symptom presents first?  Kids and employees wear masks as they enter school and can’t remove until after passing the temp check.  Same for at a workplace.

Unfortunately, the symptoms are highly variable. The first symptom for a given individual might be fever, cough, sore throat, headache, loss of taste or smell, or several other things. Here is the CDC's current list.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/symptoms-testing/symptoms.html

That's why I take pause in any conclusion that COVID can't spread asymptomatically. Some people get headaches every day, so they may deny any COVID symptoms because they may not even realize their headache one day was COVID and not stress or whatever.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2020, 01:40:34 PM by GooooMarquette »

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #6303 on: June 08, 2020, 01:48:55 PM »
Our for-profit healthcare system at its finest. Charging $7k for a coronavirus test.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/06/08/coronavirus-test-costs-304058

That is pretty deplorable. I don't know what the going rate is nationally, but the MN Department of Public Health is offering free testing. The intro says it is focused on those in the neighborhoods most affected by the protests, but the eligibility criteria say "open to everyone" and "free, no insurance needed."

https://www.health.state.mn.us/diseases/coronavirus/testsites.html

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #6304 on: June 08, 2020, 02:36:28 PM »

That is pretty deplorable. I don't know what the going rate is nationally, but the MN Department of Public Health is offering free testing. The intro says it is focused on those in the neighborhoods most affected by the protests, but the eligibility criteria say "open to everyone" and "free, no insurance needed."

https://www.health.state.mn.us/diseases/coronavirus/testsites.html

That's great that MN is doing that. I know of some other locales doing something similar. Unfortunately some of the smaller clinics are charging a fortune, often partnering with smaller testing labs for kickbacks.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #6305 on: June 08, 2020, 06:04:51 PM »
So all you "believe the science" people(and there are TONS of you here). What say you now?? It was FAKE science all along. We were lied to..healthy people(at no risk of spreading it according to who) were locked down for months, businesses were forced to be closed,  and the economy laid in tatters. Those of us that thought all along this was being made out to be way more than what it was(because we used common sense, and didn't believe the science) have been vindicated 100%. All you science loving folks owe a lot of people a lot of apologies for the fear mongering and anxiety you put people through all these months, for no reason whatsoever. It just goes to show you how gullable a lot of people are in this country, and sadly how many believe everything they are told(thanks CNN,MSNBC, Fauci etc). Those of us that never believed this hoax, look awfully smart today. people have a lot of splaining to do, I'd say. It was pretty obvious from day 1 what this was really about..I know most of you will not believe that(even though you know it's true, always has been), but I hope you all feel really really really duped right now...you should, because you were. That's your own faults though.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

• All American
« Reply #6306 on: June 08, 2020, 06:09:05 PM »
So all you "believe the science" people(and there are TONS of you here). What say you now?? It was FAKE science all along. We were lied to..healthy people(at no risk of spreading it according to who) were locked down for months, businesses were forced to be closed,  and the economy laid in tatters. Those of us that thought all along this was being made out to be way more than what it was(because we used common sense, and didn't believe the science) have been vindicated 100%. All you science loving folks owe a lot of people a lot of apologies for the fear mongering and anxiety you put people through all these months, for no reason whatsoever. It just goes to show you how gullable a lot of people are in this country, and sadly how many believe everything they are told(thanks CNN,MSNBC, Fauci etc). Those of us that never believed this hoax, look awfully smart today. people have a lot of splaining to do, I'd say. It was pretty obvious from day 1 what this was really about..I know most of you will not believe that(even though you know it's true, always has been), but I hope you all feel really really really duped right now...you should, because you were. That's your own faults though.

Uhhhh.  You clearly aren’t understanding a few things. There are plenty of examples worldwide that show how shutting things down flattened the curve. Which is what the intent was. 

If you’re gonna continue to say it was a hoax, then really there’s not much hope for you anyway.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #6307 on: June 08, 2020, 06:24:49 PM »
That article is a little bit dangerous....there is asymptomatic (have bit ut show no symptoms) and there is pre-symptomatic (have it but symptoms haven't yet developed). If they are saying the former that's ok news, if they are saying both that's tremendous news and we can go back to wide open as long as people self isolated if they feel any symptoms.....but I simply can't imagine the type of spread we saw with only symptomatic spreaders
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #6308 on: June 08, 2020, 06:26:00 PM »

Unfortunately, the symptoms are highly variable. The first symptom for a given individual might be fever, cough, sore throat, headache, loss of taste or smell, or several other things. Here is the CDC's current list.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/symptoms-testing/symptoms.html

That's why I take pause in any conclusion that COVID can't spread asymptomatically. Some people get headaches every day, so they may deny any COVID symptoms because they may not even realize their headache one day was COVID and not stress or whatever.

"She acknowledged that some studies have indicated asymptomatic or presymptomatic spread in nursing homes and in household settings."

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #6309 on: June 08, 2020, 06:32:14 PM »
That article is a little bit dangerous....there is asymptomatic (have bit ut show no symptoms) and there is pre-symptomatic (have it but symptoms haven't yet developed). If they are saying the former that's ok news, if they are saying both that's tremendous news and we can go back to wide open as long as people self isolated if they feel any symptoms.....but I simply can't imagine the type of spread we saw with only symptomatic spreaders

I agree. I take the message as your best bang for the buck is find the symptomatic, trace and isolate.  I think those predisposed to not wanting to do distancing/mask will read it otherwise. 

But who knows.  China has said they never cared about asymptomatic.  Japan isn’t really testing. Just distancing/mask. 

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #6310 on: June 08, 2020, 07:05:19 PM »
Plus, I don’t think the article is definitive. It also says that asymptomatic is rare, not impossible.

Also, I don’t know that people who show symptoms would isolate without an order. Heck, I’d probably brush it off as just allergies unless I had a fever. We have a culture that if it’s just a cold, you are weak if you stay home.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #6311 on: June 08, 2020, 07:10:31 PM »
Uhhhh.  You clearly aren’t understanding a few things. There are plenty of examples worldwide that show how shutting things down flattened the curve. Which is what the intent was. 

If you’re gonna continue to say it was a hoax, then really there’s not much hope for you anyway.

Of course it wasn’t a “hoax” - that’s patently false and foolish. However, the curve was flattened awhile ago. We stayed closed long after it was clear that the hospital system wouldn’t be overwhelmed.

• All American
« Reply #6312 on: June 08, 2020, 07:18:22 PM »
Of course it wasn’t a “hoax” - that’s patently false and foolish. However, the curve was flattened awhile ago. We stayed closed long after it was clear that the hospital system wouldn’t be overwhelmed.

Not many places fit that description.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #6313 on: June 08, 2020, 07:20:29 PM »

I think everyone is moving there Lenny.  I don’t have an opinion for other states but here it’s all moving ahead.  The drag for the economy that I see day to day is 1. Increased costs of prevention, 2. Areas of softer demand due to lack of desire and 3. Companies not seeing the need to take on the risk of opening offices for salary employees and 4. Some restrictions still in place. 

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #6314 on: June 08, 2020, 07:34:02 PM »

A worldwide hoax to take down President Pandemic.  Those 100,000 plus dead won’t be able to cash their Soros checks.  Hopefully, their families can still get that sweet Soros cash. 
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #6315 on: June 08, 2020, 07:37:44 PM »

Science works and idiots like yourself still try to prevail.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #6316 on: June 08, 2020, 07:43:26 PM »
I’m sorry, 113,000 dead as part of a hoax.
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

injuryBug

• Team Captain
« Reply #6317 on: June 08, 2020, 07:44:09 PM »

I agree but with how relaxed we have become with hygiene it would not completely shock me.  The pressure of a parent to stay at work when sick cause they cannot afford to take a day without pay or sending kids to school cause said parent cannot afford to take time off and pay daycare to stay home with their child.  That will spread things quick.  Kids getting sick but not too sick at school with the virus passing it onto mom and dad at home who pass it on at work or to grandma and grandpa.
No doubt it spreads fast

muguru

• All American
« Reply #6318 on: June 08, 2020, 08:02:47 PM »
Science works and idiots like yourself still try to prevail.

How'd the "science" work here?? Answer: It didn't! For months and months we were told the biggest problem with this disease was people that were asymptomatic, passing it to others. Now we find out...wait for it...that wasn't true. That's science for ya. Which means, there was a very simple solution all along..sick people stay home and isolate, people who aren't sick go about your business..you know, like we do every day anyway?? Instead, people freaking panicked, they ran scared, they were terrified(thanks liberal media), we locked everything down and people lost jobs because a lot of people in this country were duped into believing a lie(not coronavirus but spreading via asymptomatic), perpetuated by the side known for it's lies and deceit, and shameful tactics to fit an agenda.

It's obvious not enough of you were influenced by the great Professor McAdams while you were at Marquette. Had you been, you would be a lot more knowledgeable of what is really happening in this country instead of allowing yourselves to just believe everything the liberal media tells you. It's baffling how many people are really that naive, but here we are..

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #6319 on: June 08, 2020, 08:07:22 PM »
It’s obvious not enough of you were influenced by the great Professor McAdams while you were at Marquette. Had you been, you would be a lot more knowledgeable of what is really happening in this country instead of allowing yourselves to just believe everything the liberal media tells you. It's baffling how many people are really that naive, but here we are..

Did you take Prof McAdams class?

• All American
« Reply #6320 on: June 08, 2020, 08:15:03 PM »

How'd the "science" work here?? Answer: It didn't! For months and months we were told the biggest problem with this disease was people that were asymptomatic, passing it to others. Now we find out...wait for it...that wasn't true.

Uh no.

Yet again a failure at simple reading comprehension.

Lol. Yeah no kidding...

tower912

• All American
« Reply #6321 on: June 08, 2020, 08:16:05 PM »

muguru is not an alum. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #6322 on: June 08, 2020, 09:05:19 PM »
muguru is not an alum.

Correct...but i know of Prof McAdams, I know that he's the truth, and I also know if every University had many more profs like him instead of the liberal hacks most Universities have as Professors now that absolutely push their beliefs on to millions of gullable students every year, that in itself would clean up a lot of the problems in this world. I honestly don't know what's worse...the professors that push their liberal agendas on their influential, naive students, or those of you that eat up and believe everything they say. You leave college with a degree, but your obviously not very educated.

At the very least, do yourselves a favor and listen to Mark Belling and Rush Limbaugh...listen and learn. You're never too old to learn..better late than never.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #6323 on: June 08, 2020, 09:07:26 PM »
I listened to Limbaugh in the 90s.   Stopped for a myriad of reasons.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #6324 on: June 08, 2020, 09:13:32 PM »
How'd the "science" work here?? Answer: It didn't! For months and months we were told the biggest problem with this disease was people that were asymptomatic, passing it to others. Now we find out...wait for it...that wasn't true. That's science for ya. Which means, there was a very simple solution all along..sick people stay home and isolate, people who aren't sick go about your business..you know, like we do every day anyway?? Instead, people freaking panicked, they ran scared, they were terrified(thanks liberal media), we locked everything down and people lost jobs because a lot of people in this country were duped into believing a lie(not coronavirus but spreading via asymptomatic), perpetuated by the side known for it's lies and deceit, and shameful tactics to fit an agenda.

It's obvious not enough of you were influenced by the great Professor McAdams while you were at Marquette. Had you been, you would be a lot more knowledgeable of what is really happening in this country instead of allowing yourselves to just believe everything the liberal media tells you. It's baffling how many people are really that naive, but here we are..

Pretty sure the lockdowns were because of a deadly disease spreading throughout the nation, and inadequate testing to be able to prevent the spread. That unchecked spread led to over 100k people dead in this country. Many more would have died if we didn't lick down. Asymptomatic or pre-symptomatic spread was an exacerbating aspect. As Gooo mentioned, it is important to determine what is meant about "asymptomatic".

Also, one of the things Trump railed on China and the WHO for, was lying about "asymptomatic spread" where they originally said it was not a major source of illness. So was China and the WHO still at fault...Was Trump part of the problem?...sorry I just can't keep up with who is at fault anymore. Or is it always, just blame everyone else no matter what.

What I would like to caution people on is the ridiculousness in there statements. Many more would have died without the lockdown, we are where we are at right now in terms of having some control of this illness because of the lockdown. The fact things are decent now, and we were able to reopen reasonably safely, is because of the lockdown. Saying the lockdown was useless is frankly, ignorant.

It would be as if I were to say, look we could have locked down forever, clearly it didn't impact the economy because jobs are growing and the Nasdaq hit an all time high. So we should have stayed locked down...the lockdown if anything was helping the economy. Such a statement would be ignorant, because it disregards what would happen with a continued lockdown...it is equivalently ignorant as saying the "lockdown was pointless".