collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")  (Read 1127439 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")
« Reply #5850 on: May 22, 2020, 06:00:46 AM »
Sad thing is, he's proven over and over and over again that Mr. Blogger is not better than that.  He's a 60 year old child.

And I'm actually only a 59-year-old child.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2020, 06:05:00 AM by MU82 »
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MU82

• All American
« Reply #5851 on: May 22, 2020, 06:19:06 AM »
Mike, man to man, can we stop the “President Pandemic” nonsense? The partisan nature of all of this is unavoidable and I can accept that, but that’s as annoying and distracting as people calling him Cheeto Man or other stuff on Twitter. I know it’s meant to rile a certain sect up, but you’re better than that  8-)

I appreciate your tone, Wags.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #5852 on: May 22, 2020, 07:37:43 AM »
There were somewhere between 34,000-100,000 deaths from the 1968-70 flu, depending on what CDC source you look at. The 1968 pandemic is known as having a significantly lower mortality than most flu pandemics. Maybe that is why there weren't major restrictions.

That means that over a 2-year time period, with no quarantines, anything, there were less deaths than we've seen in about 3-months of the coronavirus.

And Woodstock was in August. It wasn't during a pandemic. It wasn't even flu season.

If we take the 34,000 deaths from 1968-70, that would be 17,000 deaths per year, and below average for the flu.

Hey man, get outta here with your facts.  There's another false equivalency that needs to be made! 

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #5853 on: May 22, 2020, 08:00:44 AM »
No.

Wait, my taxes went down.  I think about that sometimes.

WWJD?  What would Joe do? 

Sniff hair and grope minors.

So you are the I got mine screw everyone else and insult those who disagree. Got it. Thanks for showing your true colors.

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #5854 on: May 22, 2020, 08:02:00 AM »
No.

Guys like PB will only say Trump affected their lives in a negative way. You were spot on about the "Obama's economy" reference.  One should be able to dislike Trump or his rhetoric but still admit when good things happen that affect the US as a result of his actions.  But those who dislike Trump will never admit he's done anything good that affects the US.
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #5855 on: May 22, 2020, 08:06:30 AM »
Four Americans died at Benghazi and the Republicans treated it like Pearl Harbor and 9/11 combined. But 100,000 dead and 320 million unemployed and this fellow is upset because somebody called Trump a nasty name.

I’m not “upset”. I don’t even like Trump. I was just making a request for the tone of the board. I’d say the same if someone kept calling Biden “Joey Grabs” or something. I like this board and there is much to be gained  when it’s not bogged down with infighting, it was just a thought I had.

Thanks for proving my point, ignoring my tone, and immediately making me out to be a MAGA slurper to talk down to.

I appreciate your tone, Wags.

Of course, flies and honey and such 🤙🏼

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #5856 on: May 22, 2020, 08:23:38 AM »
Guys like PB will only say Trump affected their lives in a negative way. You were spot on about the "Obama's economy" reference.  One should be able to dislike Trump or his rhetoric but still admit when good things happen that affect the US as a result of his actions.  But those who dislike Trump will never admit he's done anything good that affects the US.

You have to admit though that if you are hanging your hat on the tax cut, even this was done in a very divisive way.  Greatly depends on where you live...

For example, I did not see a benefit + i think it was fiscally wrong.  So I'm glad you are winning.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #5857 on: May 22, 2020, 08:25:41 AM »
I’m not “upset”. I don’t even like Trump. I was just making a request for the tone of the board. I’d say the same if someone kept calling Biden “Joey Grabs” or something. I like this board and there is much to be gained  when it’s not bogged down with infighting, it was just a thought I had.

Thanks for proving my point, ignoring my tone, and immediately making me out to be a MAGA slurper to talk down to.

Of course, flies and honey and such 🤙🏼

I for one appreciate your tone and willingness to bring facts to the discussion.  We could cut out 100 pages of this thread by culling the namecalling and flaming.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #5858 on: May 22, 2020, 08:34:21 AM »

"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #5859 on: May 22, 2020, 08:53:22 AM »
So you are the I got mine screw everyone else and insult those who disagree. Got it. Thanks for showing your true colors.

***ZFB walks home from the fishing hole, whisting contentedly.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #5860 on: May 22, 2020, 09:08:11 AM »

He's done something positive?  I would admit if he did something good, but there nothing to admit only one crappy decision followed by even worse ones.
I've read that economists say one President's economy carry on for one year after leaving office because Congressional budgets are already in place and it takes time for "new policies" to work in.  With that metric the Obama economy ended at the end of 2017.  2018 saw Trump policies take effect like tariffs and the tax bill that was a complete waste.  It created a "paper burn" in 2018 that made it look like things were OK.  2019 was a complete disaster that the pandemic just literally unmasked in 2020.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #5861 on: May 22, 2020, 09:10:53 AM »
You have to admit though that if you are hanging your hat on the tax cut, even this was done in a very divisive way.  Greatly depends on where you live...

For example, I did not see a benefit + i think it was fiscally wrong.  So I'm glad you are winning.

It wasn't a tax cut.  Opinion polls after it was passed showed tax INCREASES in the past were viewed more favorably than this tax bill. 

You're right so much winning!

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #5862 on: May 22, 2020, 10:41:34 AM »
I see a lot of people citing %positive tests as a useful metric. The argument from them is that increases in cases doesn't mean anything because of increases in testing, and that the %positive tests is a more accurate measure. I disagree.

While it is true, that if there isn't enough testing capacity to test those that are likely to have the disease, increased testing of that population would lead to more cases.

But what we see a lot of now, is people with no symptoms, and no history of being exposed to a positive case, going and getting tested for piece of mind. There are a lot doing this. They have a near zero chance of being a positive case.

If those people make up a significant percentage of the overall number of tests, we should see the %positive rate drop dramatically. If it stays constant with increased testing, that is a very bad sign.

The %positive metric is only useful if the populations being tested are the same. Before it was mostly hospitalized patients, or those severely symptomatic. Now it is everyone including Jane Smith, who hasn't left the house in 2-months, but is afraid they got it from their pet gerbil.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #5863 on: May 22, 2020, 10:54:16 AM »
I see a lot of people citing %positive tests as a useful metric. The argument from them is that increases in cases doesn't mean anything because of increases in testing, and that the %positive tests is a more accurate measure. I disagree.

While it is true, that if there isn't enough testing capacity to test those that are likely to have the disease, increased testing of that population would lead to more cases.

But what we see a lot of now, is people with no symptoms, and no history of being exposed to a positive case, going and getting tested for piece of mind. There are a lot doing this. They have a near zero chance of being a positive case.

If those people make up a significant percentage of the overall number of tests, we should see the %positive rate drop dramatically. If it stays constant with increased testing, that is a very bad sign.

The %positive metric is only useful if the populations being tested are the same. Before it was mostly hospitalized patients, or those severely symptomatic. Now it is everyone including Jane Smith, who hasn't left the house in 2-months, but is afraid they got it from their pet gerbil.

I don't disagree, but for months all we heard was "Moar Testing!"  Now testing is available and people think they need to get tested.  A lot of them proabably think they're safe now, because testing and not understanding what that test means.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #5864 on: May 22, 2020, 10:58:49 AM »
I don't disagree, but for months all we heard was "Moar Testing!"  Now testing is available and people think they need to get tested.  A lot of them proabably think they're safe now, because testing and not understanding what that test means.

This is all true. We did need more testing. And there isn't inherently anything bad about people being tested because they are afraid their pet gerbil had it. Although, even though the testing has to be "covered," it still means we are all paying for them. Companies aren't just taking a loss.

The problem is in peoples selective use of the resulting data to push their agendas. Positive cases on its own, does not necessarily mean increased spread. A flat %positives, does not necessarily mean no increase in spread. The actual analysis would be very complicated.

The best evidence is likely deaths/hospitalizations, but even that is complicated by it being a lagging indicator, and highly dependent on if nursing homes are affected.

The bottom line is right now, is data is just going to be weaponized, and we won't have enough data under the same conditions for a couple weeks. Until then, most results are just agenda weapons.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #5865 on: May 22, 2020, 11:04:29 AM »
This is all true. We did need more testing. And there isn't inherently anything bad about people being tested because they are afraid their pet gerbil had it. Although, even though the testing has to be "covered," it still means we are all paying for them. Companies aren't just taking a loss.

The problem is in peoples selective use of the resulting data to push their agendas. Positive cases on its own, does not necessarily mean increased spread. A flat %positives, does not necessarily mean no increase in spread. The actual analysis would be very complicated.

The best evidence is likely deaths/hospitalizations, but even that is complicated by it being a lagging indicator, and highly dependent on if nursing homes are affected.

The bottom line is right now, is data is just going to be weaponized, and we won't have enough data under the same conditions for a couple weeks. Until then, most results are just agenda weapons.

Nothing new.  Single data points are bad statistically.  Trends matter.

It's why I've said the most important metric to consider is how full our beds are and what do the projections say they will be in a week or so after.  That is what should be guiding our public policy.  If they're not full, or anticipated to be approaching full then we can ease restrictions on the generally healthy public.  If people start filling those beds, and we are worried about health care systems being overwhelmed we go in the opposite direction.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #5866 on: May 22, 2020, 11:10:11 AM »
Nothing new.  Single data points are bad statistically.  Trends matter.

It's why I've said the most important metric to consider is how full our beds are and what do the projections say they will be in a week or so after.  That is what should be guiding our public policy.  If they're not full, or anticipated to be approaching full then we can ease restrictions on the generally healthy public.  If people start filling those beds, and we are worried about health care systems being overwhelmed we go in the opposite direction.

The problem is how quickly things can change. Montgomery, Alabama went from fine, to out of ICU beds in a matter of days.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #5867 on: May 22, 2020, 11:14:12 AM »
The problem is how quickly things can change. Montgomery, Alabama went from fine, to out of ICU beds in a matter of days.

Indeed.  Hot spots will continue to pop up all over the US.  We will have to respond quickly and decisively to each.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #5868 on: May 22, 2020, 11:52:35 AM »
No.

Character confirmed
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #5869 on: May 22, 2020, 12:24:17 PM »
Character confirmed

So gullible and simple minded.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #5870 on: May 22, 2020, 12:27:50 PM »

Go home and get your shinebox, Tommy.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #5871 on: May 22, 2020, 12:33:18 PM »

Character confirmed
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #5872 on: May 22, 2020, 01:05:53 PM »
Character confirmed

Illiteracy confirmed.  Read the thread, dumbass.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #5873 on: May 22, 2020, 01:08:12 PM »
Illiteracy confirmed.  Read the thread, dumbass.

I remember when you blamed other posters for your posting habits. Had the self awareness to recognize them, yet can’t find the self discipline to change them.

It’s okay. Not your fault. Myself, hards, and a couple others have you held at gun point while making your posts.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #5874 on: May 22, 2020, 01:10:38 PM »
I remember when you blamed other posters for your posting habits. Had the self awareness to recognize them, yet can’t find the self discipline to change them.

It’s okay. Not your fault. Myself, hards, and a couple others have you held at gun point while making your posts.

You guys are real bad asses.  The beta squad.