collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")  (Read 1127363 times)

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
Re: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")
« Reply #5150 on: May 11, 2020, 10:50:32 AM »

I just dont find mental health digs at anyone funny or productive.   You never know what is going on in someone's head.
I've been in therapy plus meds for 20 plus years, and have lost friends to suicide and other mental health issues, so your comments piss me the fück off.

Agree 100%.

I lost a best friend and an aunt to suicide, and have a long history of mental illness in my family. For a long time I thought I was the one person in my family who “dodged the bullet,“ but a few setbacks taught me otherwise. Since beginning therapy a few years back, I have come to realize that our words and actions result from a complex mix of factors that we can’t even begin to define with certainty.

Mental illness is as serious as any other type of illness, and should not be joked about any more than cancer, strokes or COVID.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #5151 on: May 11, 2020, 10:53:00 AM »
I'm not talking about Costco...they are a foil in this debate.  I'm talking about the government (CDC) recommending this, the executive leadership not endorsing this (even in the press conference where it was announced) and then the media explosion fanning the flames. 

It is proper for us to follow CDC guidance.  I am glad some states and corporations are stepping in.  The fact this is a discussion is purposeful and meant to divide us.

Hopefully that is more clear.

Thanks for this, and I really didn't think you were talking about Costco.

Went on Saturday. Everyone had or was given a mask. Explicitly told to wear in the store. 1 lady said she didn't want a mask - she was not let in. 1 gentleman took his off 10 feet past the entrance - immediately told his option was to put/leave it on or leave the store.

My wife, who is an RN, said this after the Pence/Mayo and Trump/mask factory fiascos ...

"If I were the director of the Mayo Clinic or that mask factory - but especially the Mayo Clinic, an effen hospital - I would have said, 'Sorry, but you have to wear a mask. If you won't wear one, you aren't getting in. And I don't care if you're the president, the vice president or just some regular Joe.'"

In other words:

No mask ... no photo op.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #5152 on: May 11, 2020, 11:03:00 AM »
Cuomo was FANTASTIC early on in this process/crisis.  But Trump must have rubbed off on him over the weeks.  He's repeating the same stuff every day, hammering on the virus coming from Europe and the China travel ban being worthless, and repeating how well NY handled the crisis as criticism over large portions of their reaction (specifically nursing homes) came out.  We watched him every day but now its only every 3rd day or so and doesnt feel like we miss out.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #5153 on: May 11, 2020, 11:08:36 AM »
Cuomo was FANTASTIC early on in this process/crisis.  But Trump must have rubbed off on him over the weeks.  He's repeating the same stuff every day, hammering on the virus coming from Europe and the China travel ban being worthless, and repeating how well NY handled the crisis as criticism over large portions of their reaction (specifically nursing homes) came out.  We watched him every day but now its only every 3rd day or so and doesnt feel like we miss out.

His handling of the nursing homes and covid patients will ultimately overshadow any good that he might have built up in the early weeks

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #5154 on: May 11, 2020, 11:11:19 AM »
Thanks for this, and I really didn't think you were talking about Costco.

My wife, who is an RN, said this after the Pence/Mayo and Trump/mask factory fiascos ...

"If I were the director of the Mayo Clinic or that mask factory - but especially the Mayo Clinic, an effen hospital - I would have said, 'Sorry, but you have to wear a mask. If you won't wear one, you aren't getting in. And I don't care if you're the president, the vice president or just some regular Joe.'"

In other words:

No mask ... no photo op.

I agree with your wife in principle, but POTUS has shown he can be a very spiteful man, and Mayo is dependent on federal dollars (Medicare, Medicaid, NIH research funding, etc) for its very survival. It just received a $26 million grant for its work on the Covid convalescent plasma study...critical dollars in a time where Mayo just announced across-the-board pay cuts even though most of its employees are considered essential.

If this were an ordinary POTUS, I have no doubt that Mayo would have required the VP to wear a mask. But this is no ordinary POTUS.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #5155 on: May 11, 2020, 11:12:57 AM »
Agree 100%.

I lost a best friend and an aunt to suicide, and have a long history of mental illness in my family. For a long time I thought I was the one person in my family who “dodged the bullet,“ but a few setbacks taught me otherwise. Since beginning therapy a few years back, I have come to realize that our words and actions result from a complex mix of factors that we can’t even begin to define with certainty.

Mental illness is as serious as any other type of illness, and should not be joked about any more than cancer, strokes or COVID.

Best of luck with your mental health therapy, kin. 

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #5156 on: May 11, 2020, 11:24:51 AM »
Agree 100%.

Alternatively, Zigs could just be a nicer person in general.  He says plenty of offensive things to plenty of people here, but when a hot button topic like mental health upsets him his crummy comments get forgotten.  I was never making fun of mental illness, just saying that WD has a serious problem if he can't admit that he is actually someone else.  Is he mentally ill?  I don't know, but if you're pretending to be someone you're not... then you're one of two things, mentally ill, or someone who is pretending to be... and which is worse?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #5157 on: May 11, 2020, 11:25:32 AM »
I just dont find mental health digs at anyone funny or productive.   You never know what is going on in someone's head. 

I've been in therapy plus meds for 20 plus years, and have lost friends to suicide and other mental health issues

I know we don't get along Ziggy - even though I have absolutely no idea what I've ever done to you - but I truly feel for you on this, and I hope that the therapy and meds have helped you find peace and life satisfaction.

As is the case with most on this board, I also know and love plenty of people who have dealt with mental-health issues for years.

Still, I do wonder why you outwardly support those on this board who regularly take shots at transgender people, homosexuals and others who often develop serious mental-health issues because they have been belittled, bullied, discriminated against and ostracized by society.

It would seem more likely that somebody with your background would tell those people to stfu.

Again, I wish you nothing but the best.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #5158 on: May 11, 2020, 11:33:27 AM »
I would like to add a new PAC would be created and pay people to not wear shirts and shoes and attempt to go into various establishments.

Carrying firearms and confederate flags too.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #5159 on: May 11, 2020, 12:43:07 PM »
Some Costco members, including leaders of influential right-wing groups, are threatening to boycott the chain for requiring shoppers to wear facemasks.

What positions of leadership do these people hold and just how influential are the groups they lead? Doubt if I heard of them, but by all means let the morons boycott. I live in Naples, Fl, (Collier County, the most Republican County in the State). Everyone here is wearing masks and we re-closed our beaches when the non social distancing Democrats from the Miami area invaded last weekend. So we’re good, right?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #5160 on: May 11, 2020, 12:45:08 PM »
I agree with your wife in principle, but POTUS has shown he can be a very spiteful man, and Mayo is dependent on federal dollars (Medicare, Medicaid, NIH research funding, etc) for its very survival. It just received a $26 million grant for its work on the Covid convalescent plasma study...critical dollars in a time where Mayo just announced across-the-board pay cuts even though most of its employees are considered essential.

If this were an ordinary POTUS, I have no doubt that Mayo would have required the VP to wear a mask. But this is no ordinary POTUS.

Very fair point.

withoutbias

• All American
« Reply #5161 on: May 11, 2020, 01:12:54 PM »
What positions of leadership do these people hold and just how influential are the groups they lead? Doubt if I heard of them, but by all means let the morons boycott. I live in Naples, Fl, (Collier County, the most Republican County in the State). Everyone here is wearing masks and we re-closed our beaches when the non social distancing Democrats from the Miami area invaded last weekend. So we’re good, right?

Whataboutism.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #5162 on: May 11, 2020, 01:36:43 PM »
Best of luck with your mental health therapy, kin.

Thanks. And best to you as well.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #5163 on: May 11, 2020, 01:47:32 PM »
Thanks. And best to you as well.

I've been there so long that they keep transferring me to the new resident every couple of years....I'm like the old gray mare.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #5164 on: May 11, 2020, 01:52:29 PM »
Mental health, like just about anything else, can be a joking matter until it lands wrong  on the wrong person.   Then you need to take that person's concerns seriously.  Ziggy, I take your struggles seriously.   Good luck to you.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #5165 on: May 11, 2020, 02:05:27 PM »
Mental health, like just about anything else, can be a joking matter until it lands wrong  on the wrong person.   Then you need to take that person's concerns seriously.  Ziggy, I take your struggles seriously.   Good luck to you.

Thanks for the kind words.

I am fine.  I'm on maintenance medication and i see my doc 2 x's a year.  But i wasnt fine before i started seeing a doc way back.  Ome of the best decisions of my life, but it took a lot to get me to that point.  (Not suicidal)  I'm open about it, because 1) it's an illness like anytime else, 2) too many guys stay silent and suffer, or take it out on their wife or kids because they don't know what to do or how to handle their brain chemistry.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #5166 on: May 11, 2020, 02:25:49 PM »
Thanks for the kind words.

I am fine.  I'm on maintenance medication and i see my doc 2 x's a year.  But i wasnt fine before i started seeing a doc way back.  Ome of the best decisions of my life, but it took a lot to get me to that point.  (Not suicidal)  I'm open about it, because 1) it's an illness like anytime else, 2) too many guys stay silent and suffer, or take it out on their wife or kids because they don't know what to do or how to handle their brain chemistry.

Thanks for sharing and best of luck on your continued journey.  I have a similar experience and once I admitted I had a problem and confronted it, recovery began.  It isn’t easy taking that first step but once you do, life can become easier as long as you keep working on it
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #5167 on: May 11, 2020, 02:35:16 PM »
This is a good time to point out that we shouldn't be enemies here.   We are people who love Marquette who have differences of opinions.   Particularly right now.   The mods have allowed these threads to continue because what else do we have to talk about?   I think they more than validate the decision to stay away from politics in most situations.   Politics generate increased acrimony and snarkiness.

We all want the same thing.   We want treatments and vaccines and to open the economy and our lives back.    We differ in our assessment of how we got here and how we get there.    We are a microcosm.   We are all frustrated and anxious.   

Be patient with yourself and others.   Peace to all.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

MU82

• All American
« Reply #5168 on: May 11, 2020, 03:29:04 PM »
This is a good time to point out that we shouldn't be enemies here.   We are people who love Marquette who have differences of opinions.   Particularly right now.   The mods have allowed these threads to continue because what else do we have to talk about?   I think they more than validate the decision to stay away from politics in most situations.   Politics generate increased acrimony and snarkiness.

We all want the same thing.   We want treatments and vaccines and to open the economy and our lives back.    We differ in our assessment of how we got here and how we get there.    We are a microcosm.   We are all frustrated and anxious.   

I love this, tower. Thanks for saying it.

Well, the one person quoted in what I posted is the co-founder of ReOpenNC, a group backed by billionaire conservatives and right-wing PACs. (You've heard of Koch and DeVos, I'm sure.) This is another Trump-loving, MAGA-hat-wearing, gun-toting, Confederate-flag-waving protest group that wants a state to re-open even if that state hasn't come close to reaching the benchmarks that Trump set. They don't wear masks, they scream in opponents' faces, they threaten to breathe and spit on people who don't agree with them, etc. They fly in the face of numerous national polls that show 2/3 of Americans, and even nearly 50% of Republicans, disagree with them.

The co-founder of the group actually quit a couple weeks ago because she felt it was deviating from the original mission.

https://www.newsobserver.com/news/local/article242380006.html

“This movement has taken a turn that we were not in agreement with,” Cochran wrote in the post. “Ashley acted on her own yesterday with nearly inciting a riot. I have said from the beginning, we are a peaceful action group and I have carried myself that way and protected our group with every fiber of my being.”

Again, that was the co-founder of the group, a person who obviously very much wants to see the economy re-open.

As tower said, we can disagree on how we get where we all want to go, Lenny, but I like to think you agree with me that many (if not most) of these well-funded, non-grassroots protest groups are way over the top.

I'll ignore your flip line at the end of your comment because I know you're just frustrated with the situation the economy is in, as all of us are. In fact, I know that you are good people.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #5169 on: May 11, 2020, 03:31:40 PM »

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #5170 on: May 11, 2020, 04:02:08 PM »

Can we get an Amen.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #5171 on: May 11, 2020, 04:05:22 PM »

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #5172 on: May 11, 2020, 04:21:40 PM »
I love this, tower. Thanks for saying it.

Well, the one person quoted in what I posted is the co-founder of ReOpenNC, a group backed by billionaire conservatives and right-wing PACs. (You've heard of Koch and DeVos, I'm sure.) This is another Trump-loving, MAGA-hat-wearing, gun-toting, Confederate-flag-waving protest group that wants a state to re-open even if that state hasn't come close to reaching the benchmarks that Trump set. They don't wear masks, they scream in opponents' faces, they threaten to breathe and spit on people who don't agree with them, etc. They fly in the face of numerous national polls that show 2/3 of Americans, and even nearly 50% of Republicans, disagree with them.

The co-founder of the group actually quit a couple weeks ago because she felt it was deviating from the original mission.

https://www.newsobserver.com/news/local/article242380006.html

“This movement has taken a turn that we were not in agreement with,” Cochran wrote in the post. “Ashley acted on her own yesterday with nearly inciting a riot. I have said from the beginning, we are a peaceful action group and I have carried myself that way and protected our group with every fiber of my being.”

Again, that was the co-founder of the group, a person who obviously very much wants to see the economy re-open.

As tower said, we can disagree on how we get where we all want to go, Lenny, but I like to think you agree with me that many (if not most) of these well-funded, non-grassroots protest groups are way over the top.

I'll ignore your flip line at the end of your comment because I know you're just frustrated with the situation the economy is in, as all of us are. In fact, I know that you are good people.

You commend tower for suggesting that everyine tone down the politics, and then go off on one of your unhinged political rants again in LITERALLY THE SAME POST.    :o ::) :o ::) :o ::)

You're 60 years old.  Grow up.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #5173 on: May 11, 2020, 04:25:40 PM »
Ziggy, I didn't say tone down the politics.  That ship has sailed.  Like the Titanic.  Which is why a blanket no politics policy is a good idea for the mods.   I said that we aren't enemies and ultimately want the same thing.   Peace to you, my friend.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #5174 on: May 11, 2020, 04:38:04 PM »
Ziggy, I didn't say tone down the politics.  That ship has sailed.  Like the Titanic.  Which is why a blanket no politics policy is a good idea for the mods.   I said that we aren't enemies and ultimately want the same thing.   Peace to you, my friend.

My point about 82 is still valid.