collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")  (Read 1127321 times)

forgetful

• All American
Re: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")
« Reply #4701 on: April 29, 2020, 01:58:59 PM »
Even more sad, she is now a subject of a homicide investigation.  She may have killed her husband and he had no idea what was going on. 

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/mattvespa/2020/04/29/az-woman-who-blamed-trump-for-chloroquine-ingestion-now-subject-of-homicide-inves-n2567839

So you post an extremely partisan article, that offers no evidence that she tried to kill him, that mainly focuses on attacking the media and the left.

You do this to point out how the media, is biased towards the left, and publishes poorly investigated stories to attack Trump. Do you see the issues with your approach? You are the one jumping to conclusions.

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #4702 on: April 29, 2020, 02:15:36 PM »
So you post an extremely partisan article, that offers no evidence that she tried to kill him, that mainly focuses on attacking the media and the left.

You do this to point out how the media, is biased towards the left, and publishes poorly investigated stories to attack Trump. Do you see the issues with your approach? You are the one jumping to conclusions.

As a lifelong Democrat I am happy to have the media on  my side, until they overstep their bounds.  I want fairness in reporting.  There is a reason when the media is attacked, the defenders are on the left because they champion most of our causes.  The same reason the right defends businesses. That doesn't happen by accident.

My son is a conservative, he sent it to me. He asked if I had seen any stories about this on CNN or other broadcasts I watch.   He knows that I am a moderate and open to various sides. He also knows that my news consumption doesn't always grab other points of view, though I am trying to expand.  His point was the media really went to town on this story originally.   This may turn out to be nothing or even a normal protocol for these investigations.  I found the comments made by his friends about her and whether he would ever do this willingly to be persuading. 

Some of the other articles

https://www.nationalreview.com/news/woman-who-blamed-trump-after-giving-her-husband-fish-tank-cleaner-now-under-investigation-for-murder/

https://nypost.com/2020/04/29/homicide-cops-investigate-death-of-man-who-drank-chloroquine/

https://freebeacon.com/coronavirus/police-investigating-death-of-arizona-man-from-chloroquine-phosphate/

https://www.nationalreview.com/corner/more-on-that-deadly-fish-tank-cleaner-cocktail/

This goes back to my statement last week.  There are some people that are gleeful at things not working as long as someone is proven wrong. Go back and read some of the comments.  I saw it for years when the right attacked just about everything Obama or Clinton did, and left with Bush and now Trump.  In a divided country, the few of us that aren't partisan do not have many places to go.
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #4703 on: April 29, 2020, 02:24:33 PM »
Um.  They simply opened an investigation.  They haven't charged her with anything.  Here is the Washington Free Beacon story referenced:

https://freebeacon.com/coronavirus/police-investigating-death-of-arizona-man-from-chloroquine-phosphate/

They seem to be focusing on the fact that since she was charged with domestic violence 19 years ago and is a Democratic donor that she wanted to kill her husband and make him look bad in the process.

And they just added this part today:  "UPDATE, April 29, 11:17 A.M.: After publication, a spokesman for the Mesa City Police Department told the Free Beacon that it is "normal protocol" for the homicide department to investigate "all death cases (other than obvious natural causes)" and that the death "has not been ruled a homicide at this time."

So who is jumping to conclusions here???
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

• All American
« Reply #4704 on: April 29, 2020, 02:25:39 PM »
As a lifelong Democrat I am happy to have the media on  my side, until they overstep their bounds.  I want fairness in reporting.  There is a reason when the media is attacked, the defenders are on the left because they champion most of our causes.  The same reason the right defends businesses. That doesn't happen by accident.

My son is a conservative, he sent it to me. He asked if I had seen any stories about this on CNN or other broadcasts I watch.   He knows that I am a moderate and open to various sides. He also knows that my news consumption doesn't always grab other points of view, though I am trying to expand.  His point was the media really went to town on this story originally.   This may turn out to be nothing or even a normal protocol for these investigations.  I found the comments made by his friends about her and whether he would ever do this willingly to be persuading. 

https://www.nationalreview.com/news/woman-who-blamed-trump-after-giving-her-husband-fish-tank-cleaner-now-under-investigation-for-murder/

https://nypost.com/2020/04/29/homicide-cops-investigate-death-of-man-who-drank-chloroquine/

https://www.nationalreview.com/corner/more-on-that-deadly-fish-tank-cleaner-cocktail/

This goes back to my statement last week.  There are some people that are gleeful at things not working as long as someone is proven wrong. Go back and read some of the comments.  I saw it for years when the right attacked just about everything Obama or Clinton did, and left with Bush and now Trump.  In a divided country, the few of us that aren't partisan do not have many places to go.

Chicos, you're lying again.  You are actually doing a really bad job of it too.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #4705 on: April 29, 2020, 02:26:22 PM »
As a lifelong Democrat

Wow.  Lifelong democrat?  I am an independent and you are right of me.  I must be a hard core lefty.

BM1090

• All American

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #4707 on: April 29, 2020, 02:44:17 PM »
Wow.  Lifelong democrat?  I am an independent and you are right of me.  I must be a hard core lefty.

I joined the party almost 50 years ago when half of us in the party were pro life, more than half owned guns, we were pro American worker with strong borders, anti-cheap labor, but American.  A lot has changed.  My wife was a lifelong Democrat and is now independent.  I may have to go the same way, but have never voted anything but Democrat my entire adult life for President, Governor and Senators.  If Warren or Sanders would have won the nomination, that would have changed this year.  I am what is a Blue Dog Democrat I suppose. Joe Lieberman is my kind of guy. He could not be elected dog catcher today in the party. Paul Simon. 

In 1997, only 28% of the party described themselves as liberal.  In the 1970's, that was less than 10%.  Today, it is more than 50%.  The party has changed.

I don't know enough about you, nor you of me to make any assertions of what you are.  Both sides have good ideas and bad ideas.  I'm not of the kind that thinks because a letter next to their name is not the party I belong to automatically means it is rotten and cheer for it to fail.  Too many people do, however.
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

• All American
« Reply #4708 on: April 29, 2020, 02:55:26 PM »
I joined the party almost 50 years ago when half of us in the party were pro life, more than half owned guns, we were pro American worker with strong borders, anti-cheap labor, but American.  A lot has changed.  My wife was a lifelong Democrat and is now independent.  I may have to go the same way, but have never voted anything but Democrat my entire adult life for President, Governor and Senators.  If Warren or Sanders would have won the nomination, that would have changed this year.  I am what is a Blue Dog Democrat I suppose. Joe Lieberman is my kind of guy. He could not be elected dog catcher today in the party. Paul Simon. 

In 1997, only 28% of the party described themselves as liberal.  In the 1970's, that was less than 10%.  Today, it is more than 50%.  The party has changed.

I don't know enough about you, nor you of me to make any assertions of what you are.  Both sides have good ideas and bad ideas.  I'm not of the kind that thinks because a letter next to their name is not the party I belong to automatically means it is rotten and cheer for it to fail.  Too many people do, however.

I mean, it's pretty hard to reconcile the two bolded statements.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #4709 on: April 29, 2020, 03:12:04 PM »
Um.  They simply opened an investigation.  They haven't charged her with anything.  Here is the Washington Free Beacon story referenced:

They seem to be focusing on the fact that since she was charged with domestic violence 19 years ago and is a Democratic donor that she wanted to kill her husband and make him look bad in the process.

And they just added this part today:  "UPDATE, April 29, 11:17 A.M.: After publication, a spokesman for the Mesa City Police Department told the Free Beacon that it is "normal protocol" for the homicide department to investigate "all death cases (other than obvious natural causes)" and that the death "has not been ruled a homicide at this time."

So who is jumping to conclusions here???

I suspected this might be the case, but since my law enforcement experience is limited to cop dramas on TV, I refrained from saying anything.

It will be interesting to see how the investigation is resolved.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #4710 on: April 29, 2020, 03:20:05 PM »

No one cares. Enough non-COVID politics.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #4711 on: April 29, 2020, 04:03:06 PM »
Cheeks/chicos/Jams/hoopaloop was last allowed to post on Scoop on Feb. 25.

In the 2 months since, WarriorDad has made 291 posts.

His previous 291 contributions came over an 11-month stretch.

It was totally a coincidence that WarriorDad started amping up his Scoopin' 5-fold the very week Cheeks/chicos/Jams/hoopaloop got his latest lifetime banishment. Also a coincidence that the tone and content of his posts resemble those of Cheeks/chicos/Jams/hoopaloop.

Lifelong Democrat. That's precious. And some world-class hoopaloopin'!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

injuryBug

• Team Captain
« Reply #4712 on: April 29, 2020, 04:03:40 PM »
Available for commercial purchase now. Interesting.

If this does work that could be huge to opening things

injuryBug

• Team Captain
« Reply #4713 on: April 29, 2020, 04:05:17 PM »

It was totally a coincidence that WarriorDad started amping up his Scoopin' 5-fold the very week Cheeks/chicos/Jams/hoopaloop got his latest lifetime banishment. Also a coincidence that the tone and content of his posts resemble those of Cheeks/chicos/Jams/hoopaloop.

so why does everyone take the bait?  ignore and move on

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #4714 on: April 29, 2020, 04:09:18 PM »

Can the mods confirm?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #4715 on: April 29, 2020, 04:11:22 PM »
so why does everyone take the bait?  ignore and move on

Gluttons for punishment?

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #4716 on: April 29, 2020, 04:23:50 PM »

Rent free.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #4717 on: April 29, 2020, 05:03:00 PM »
American deaths from COVID  > American deaths in Viet Nam.   

So we have that going for us. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #4718 on: April 29, 2020, 05:15:11 PM »

And, sadly, U.S. death toll still growing exponentially.

As you noted, COVID-19 deaths just hit 60K today, 5 days after hitting 50K, which was 5 days after hitting 40K, which was 3 days after hitting 30K, which was 5 days after hitting 20K, which was 5 days after hitting 10K.

I sure hope the Gilead drug works, because more and more states are getting ready to let up on social distancing.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #4719 on: April 29, 2020, 05:20:57 PM »

This isn’t true. 

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #4720 on: April 29, 2020, 05:21:04 PM »

I read the first four words and laughed so hard I couldn't continue on with the thread.

Thank you for the laugh, Cheeks.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #4721 on: April 29, 2020, 05:23:04 PM »

As you noted, COVID-19 deaths just hit 60K today, 5 days after hitting 50K, which was 5 days after hitting 40K, which was 3 days after hitting 30K, which was 5 days after hitting 20K, which was 5 days after hitting 10K.

I sure hope the Gilead drug works, because more and more states are getting ready to let up on social distancing.

The Gilead drug had a statistically significant effect on recovery duration. Which is great, because one of the limiting factors in survival may be accessibility to ICU care. That decreases any potential burden on the healthcare system by 30+%.

Unfortunately, the results did not show as "statistically significant" effect on mortality. Mortality decreased, but it was not statistically significant in this study.

Hopefully in a large study, they will find it to have a statistically significant impact on mortality too, albeit small. A small benefit still will save lives. And lives matter.

The biggest limit is that it as an intravenous drug, so has to be given in a hospital setting, that means it really only has an effect in the sickest of patients.

I would be hoping that I could get both this, and convalescent plasma.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2020, 05:25:17 PM by forgetful »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #4722 on: April 29, 2020, 05:24:24 PM »
This isn’t true.

You know what? You're right. If they were still growing "exponentially," I believe it would mean they were doubling or tripling or something. I certainly wasn't trying to be misleading.

How 'bout ...

And, sadly, U.S. death toll still growing substantially.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #4723 on: April 29, 2020, 06:04:20 PM »
You know what? You're right. If they were still growing "exponentially," I believe it would mean they were doubling or tripling or something. I certainly wasn't trying to be misleading.

How 'bout ...

And, sadly, U.S. death toll still growing substantially.

I know you weren’t trying to mislead, but words have meaning, right?  Also we have done a good job of flattening the exponential curve.  If things were still growing exponentially, I for one would leave the house.

Your point is true though.  Growth in other areas have replaced the progress in NYC & Jersey....leaving us in a substantial health crisis.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #4724 on: April 29, 2020, 06:10:35 PM »

Comparing Covid19 to other pandemics or epidemics is fair. Criticizing our response by those in charge at the federal, xtate and local authorities is fair.

With all due respect (and I mean it) comparing it to a needless war of choice is not.