collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")  (Read 1127434 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")
« Reply #3650 on: April 09, 2020, 07:10:44 PM »
Boris out of the ICU.

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/article241894246.html?

Here's hoping he has a complete recovery.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #3651 on: April 09, 2020, 07:18:39 PM »
Here's hoping he has a complete recovery.

What’s that supposed to mean?
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #3652 on: April 09, 2020, 07:21:02 PM »
Have a Happy Easter Mike!  ;D

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/fox-news-poll-trump-job-approval-hits-new-high-as-voters-rally-during-crisis

It amazes me how truly uninformed people are about things..talk to people and they say "well that's what i heard on the news" so they believe it. It's a shame that this country is made up of that many ignorant, uninformed people, but..here we are.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #3653 on: April 09, 2020, 07:21:27 PM »
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #3654 on: April 09, 2020, 07:28:52 PM »
Good NYT Opinion Piece. "The U.S. Approach to Public Health: Neglect, Panic, Repeat"

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/09/opinion/coronavirus-public-health-system-us.html

Makes a good argument that the success of public health measures a century ago led us to complacency and financial neglect of the public health system.

“It was like a great forgetting took place,” Wendy Parmet, a public health law scholar at Northeastern University, told me. “As the memory of epidemics faded, individual rights became much more important than collective responsibility.” And as medicine grew more sophisticated, health began to be seen as purely a personal matter.

Health care spending grew by 52 percent in the past decade, while the budgets of local health departments shrank by as much as 24 percent, according to a 2019 report from the public health nonprofit Trust for America’s Health, and the C.D.C.’s budget remained flat. Today, public health claims just 3 cents of every health dollar spent in the country.

The sad thing is that we know what will happen in just a few short months. Peoplw will start calling to cut Medicare, MedicAid and Social Security.  As night follows day.....

Jay Bee

• All American
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #3657 on: April 09, 2020, 07:41:37 PM »
It’s been explained many times in this thread that this won’t happen.

#LastDays

Did you read the article?  This isn’t about reinfection if that is what you are referring to. 

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #3658 on: April 09, 2020, 08:39:15 PM »
It’s been explained many times in this thread that this won’t happen.

#LastDays

Really, who said that this won't happen.  Interested.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #3659 on: April 09, 2020, 08:39:47 PM »
Really, who said that this won't happen.  Interested.

#ProneBoi

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #3660 on: April 09, 2020, 08:41:23 PM »

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #3661 on: April 09, 2020, 08:52:50 PM »
This thread has revealed a whole new yet equally unappealing side of BeeJay.

#scaredbunny #can'tread

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #3662 on: April 09, 2020, 09:01:42 PM »

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #3663 on: April 09, 2020, 09:05:30 PM »
So we're basically screwed until we get a vaccine next year, right?

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #3664 on: April 09, 2020, 09:12:04 PM »

Yes - that has been repeated here many times.

The only real question is how screwed we are, and that will depend on how well people comply with stay at home orders, and how quickly we can develop extensive and quick testing and contact tracing. And effective treatments are a wildcard.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #3665 on: April 09, 2020, 09:13:15 PM »
Less than 1 week ago Dr Fauci and Dr Birx estimated (if we did everything PERFECTLY) that between 100,000 and 240,000 would die in this outbreak. So 170,000 if you take the average. Now estimates are 60,000 and seemingly still dropping. Wonderful news, to be sure, But why do Scoopers think the models were so wrong?

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #3666 on: April 09, 2020, 09:14:13 PM »
Not if any of the many treatments being tested prove effective.

https://www.livescience.com/coronavirus-covid-19-treatments.html
"As of April 6, more than 200 clinical trials of COVID-19 treatments or vaccines that are either ongoing or recruiting patients. New ones are being added every day, as the case count in the U.S. (and globally) skyrockets. The drugs being tested range from repurposed flu treatments to failed ebola drugs, to malaria treatments that were first developed decades ago. Here, we take a look at several of the treatments that doctors hope will help fight COVID-19."

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #3667 on: April 09, 2020, 09:22:22 PM »
Less than 1 week ago Dr Fauci and Dr Birx estimated (if we did everything PERFECTLY) that between 100,000 and 240,000 would die in this outbreak. So 170,000 if you take the average. Now estimates are 60,000 and seemingly still dropping. Wonderful news, to be sure, But why do Scoopers think the models were so wrong?

https://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=60306.msg1228484#msg1228484

Here is my take.  Idk why they decided to throw numbers around two weeks ago as a task force, but they did.  It seemed odd then as it does now. 

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #3668 on: April 09, 2020, 09:27:34 PM »
Hey guys. We have a virus that initially was spreading from infected people coming in from other countries... now, it's more within the US community...

Great news! We've locked everyone into their own homes so they don't interact with others.. and WOOOAH, AMAZING!... less people are getting infected.

We don't have adequate testing, we don't know much of anything. Just a bunch of question marks except that if you sit in a little bubble you don't get it. Well, no sh1t.

We need enormous, unexpected scientific breakthroughs or we're done as Earth.

#LastDays

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #3669 on: April 09, 2020, 09:28:38 PM »

Yes - that has been repeated here many times.

The only real question is how screwed we are, and that will depend on how well people comply with stay at home orders, and how quickly we can develop extensive and quick testing and contact tracing. And effective treatments are a wildcard.

Definitely. I understand the plan of a few phases of physical distancing to limit the strain we put on the healthcare system. As is, I just don't see a realistic path for sports, entertainment, bars and restaurants to re-open until a vaccine is established.

Like you said, things could change with effective treatments and more testing. The lack of clear plan nationally is making me more pessimistic than usual. Isolation is starting to get to me!

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #3670 on: April 09, 2020, 09:29:08 PM »
The hydroxy controversy is just the modern day example of the criticism that has been going on for the past 3 1/2years. It’s time people who cannot separate their politics from medicine get out of the way.  allow the doctors who know how to treat people with this drug, (for the time being)do what they have to do to save lives. 

even a vaccine on the fast track would take a couple of years and God knows what side effects it would still carry with it. Hydroxy has a 60 year track record. People who have been on it for malaria prevention or arthritis have not come down with covid despite knowing being exposed

https://thehill.com/opinion/healthcare/491932-hydroxy-hysteria-when-saving-lives-collides-with-politics-and-bureaucracy
don't...don't don't don't don't

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #3671 on: April 09, 2020, 09:32:41 PM »
Definitely. I understand the plan of a few phases of physical distancing to limit the strain we put on the healthcare system. As is, I just don't see a realistic path for sports, entertainment, bars and restaurants to re-open until a vaccine is established.

Like you said, things could change with effective treatments and more testing. The lack of clear plan nationally is making me more pessimistic than usual. Isolation is starting to get to me!

Your thoughts are reasonable. There is nothing promising we've seen yet. Of course we can TEMPORARILY flatten the curve if everyone sits at home.

But then what?

There are potential answers, but are they achievable in any reasonable amount of time? Don't know. And no one does.

Most likely, earth is done.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #3672 on: April 09, 2020, 09:41:04 PM »

I hear you, BM1090. I hear you.

FWIW, I think spectator sports will be done with closely tested and monitored athletes, and without live audiences until we get a vaccine. Restaurants, bars, stores and such? I heard Fauci on a radio show yesterday talking about taking a restaurant that usually seats 100, but opening it to 20 customers at a time. Same with stores and the like. Decreasing the risk of transmission, but not eliminating it.

Guess we’ll see....

reinko

• All American
« Reply #3673 on: April 09, 2020, 09:41:30 PM »
Your thoughts are reasonable. There is nothing promising we've seen yet. Of course we can TEMPORARILY flatten the curve if everyone sits at home.

But then what?

There are potential answers, but are they achievable in any reasonable amount of time? Don't know. And no one does.

Most likely, earth is done.

What changed from a few days ago?

https://twitter.com/JBBauer612/status/1246254792911073283?s=20

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #3674 on: April 09, 2020, 09:44:44 PM »
The sad thing is that we know what will happen in just a few short months. Peoplw will start calling to cut Medicare, MedicAid and Social Security.  As night follows day.....

feedback