collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")  (Read 1127394 times)

jficke13

• All American
Re: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")
« Reply #3625 on: April 09, 2020, 10:09:40 AM »
Testing of a new drug going on here in Charlotte:

Novant Health will be the first healthcare system in the southeastern United States to initiate Phase 2 clinical trials for patients with mild to moderate COVID-19 symptoms, according to biotechnology company CytoDyn.

The placebo-controlled trial of 75 patients at up to 10 Novant Health centers will evaluate the safety of using Leronlimab, an experimental drug also used to treat HIV, in patients with mild to moderate documented COVID-19 illness, according to CytoDyn. COVID-19 is the disease caused by the novel coronavirus.

Novant Health spokeswoman Megan Rivers said the trials will be held at Novant Health Presbyterian, Forsyth and Rowan medical centers. Novant is based in Winston-Salem and is one of the two major hospital systems in Charlotte.

Fingers crossed for this one: https://www.cytodyn.com/newsroom/press-releases/detail/413/blood-samples-at-day-0-3-and-7-for-severely-ill-covid-19

From the press release: “The Day-7 results from these patients demonstrates even more dramatic immune restoration especially in the CD8 T-lymphocyte population, the major immune cell responsible for eliminating virally infected cells. In addition, there is a further dramatic reduction in the critical cytokine storm cytokines IL-6, TNF-alpha. Collectively, these results are correlating with patients’ recovery. Some patients have been removed from ventilators, including one patient who was taken off of a heart/lung bypass machine. Critically ill patients are experiencing the benefit of extubating within 7 days of treatment with leronlimab.”

Targets cytokine storm, could work to shorten people's stay on ventilators and, if treating mild to moderate means dosing people before their on vents, keep them from ever needing one in the first place. Positive results in such a small sample size sure as heck aren't proof, but it's showing enough promise that the phase 2/3 trials are getting off the ground in a hurry.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #3626 on: April 09, 2020, 10:23:24 AM »
See, this is a very good Trump tweet.  I mean the @OAN thing is a little nuts, but this tone is what we should have seen from the beginning and more of what we should see moving forward.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1248266439582244866?s=20
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #3627 on: April 09, 2020, 10:47:19 AM »
This stem treatment also advancing through the trial phase, and the safety profile has already been evaluated in 1,100 patients in various clinical trials.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/mesoblast-partners-cardiothoracic-surgical-trials-231510873.html

I'll refrain from devolving into additional arguments over how Covid has been handled.  I'm proud of the response and effort all of our leaders and healthcare workers have put into COVID.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #3628 on: April 09, 2020, 10:51:14 AM »

See, this is a very good Trump tweet.  I mean the @OAN thing is a little nuts, but this tone is what we should have seen from the beginning and more of what we should see moving forward.

Agree. Exactly the right message. I hope this tone continues.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #3629 on: April 09, 2020, 11:04:00 AM »
It was expected, but in the past 3 weeks, 10% of the entire labor force has applied for unemployment. Another near record this week. The numbers have been mind-boggling.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #3630 on: April 09, 2020, 11:10:12 AM »
For the outliers that still don't think this is a big deal. Here is a frightening infographic on nationwide deaths as a result of Covid-19. And remember, this is with shelter-in-place orders.

https://public.flourish.studio/visualisation/1812248/

For those that don't want to click. It shows how over the last 1.5 months, COVID-19 has progressed to be the number 1 leading cause of daily deaths in the entire US.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #3631 on: April 09, 2020, 11:10:26 AM »

DT is cheering on reduced death count predictions to benefit himself. That is why he is all of a sudden championing social distancing when he said the opposite up until this tweet. (He’ll quite possibly contradict that tweet later today or tomorrow) The message is “accidentally” good in this tweet.

Of course this doesn’t include the wide underreporting of COVID-19 deaths according to many.

https://www.factcheck.org/2020/04/social-media-posts-make-baseless-claim-on-covid-19-death-toll/

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2020/04/05/us/coronavirus-deaths-undercount.amp.html

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #3632 on: April 09, 2020, 11:58:04 AM »
German scientific study says mortality rate from COVID is .37%.  This is far lower than the modeling estimates and WHO claims of 3.5%.

Using antibodies for their research it suggests many people have the virus.

Studies like these will push leaders to open up the economies early in my opinion.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2020/04/08/coronavirus-latest-news-2/#link-2H64MNBNRVCWJPBJQTVLVHCZ4E

I think this can certainly be the case--however we need to study this and we can make an informed decisions.  Sample testing in a hard hit area with a follow up with anti-body testing after the initial wave is behind is a good first step.  Mass anti-body 'clearance' and quick testing before you enter your place of work is another.

Data driven decision making is a thing.  I would love to see our country embrace this on a large scale.  If we have facts, it certainly will help people lose the fear that has now taken hold and get us to return to normal.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #3633 on: April 09, 2020, 12:31:53 PM »
”IMHO - Trump is viewing his daily briefings as a campaigning opportunity, so he continues to talk in an overly optimistic tone so that he can say "I did everything I could to save the economy" this fall. However, the mixed messages might actually delay getting the pandemic under control, which could cost him in the end.“

Goooo, you are letting your political emotions get in the way of reality. So if we don’t hear anything from him, I can just hear the comments...too predictable. He says too much, he’s not listening to his “experts” he’s too optimistic, he’s unpresidential, he’s...

Enough!  You guys have turned this into a one sided political thread because if it turns into a political argument, the ones challenging “ you guys”  become the bad guys responsible for a lock down threat. You are cherry picking stuff to satiate your politics. In the words of a previous potus  “ I won, deal with it”.

He is who we elected back in 2016 and will be the one we have to deal with until the next election.

He is dealing with this the way he sees fit. Deal with it.  it’s hard enough to read some of this stuff without rebuttal

We are moving forward and showing good signs of improvement
don't...don't don't don't don't

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #3634 on: April 09, 2020, 12:34:30 PM »
”IMHO - Trump is viewing his daily briefings as a campaigning opportunity, so he continues to talk in an overly optimistic tone so that he can say "I did everything I could to save the economy" this fall. However, the mixed messages might actually delay getting the pandemic under control, which could cost him in the end.“

Goooo, you are letting your political emotions get in the way of reality. So if we don’t hear anything from him, I can just hear the comments...too predictable. He says too much, he’s not listening to his “experts” he’s too optimistic, he’s unpresidential, he’s...

Enough!  You guys have turned this into a one sided political thread because if it turns into a political argument, the ones challenging “ you guys”  become the bad guys responsible for a lock down threat. You are cherry picking stuff to satiate your politics. In the words of a previous potus  “ I won, deal with it”.

He is who we elected back in 2016 and will be the one we have to deal with until the next election.

He is dealing with this the way he sees fit. Deal with it.  it’s hard enough to read some of this stuff without rebuttal

We are moving forward and showing good signs of improvement

I disagree with the premise that the President is beyond critique, because he is who we elected in 2016.

I will say I think he is doing a better job responding to this crisis in the last 2 weeks or so, and that is entirely because of the tireless efforts of Anthony Fauci.

In the long run, I think Trump will be judged terribly because of his initial denial and lack of response to the crisis, which wasted valuable weeks and months.

But, I do not think it is particularly helpful to dwell on that in the present moment, especially with an ego so fragile. We need him to continue to take the steps Fauci recommends. There will be plenty of time for judgment in the future.

« Last Edit: April 09, 2020, 12:37:24 PM by Coleman »

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #3635 on: April 09, 2020, 12:37:35 PM »
DT is cheering on reduced death count predictions to benefit himself. That is why he is all of a sudden championing social distancing when he said the opposite up until this tweet. (He’ll quite possibly contradict that tweet later today or tomorrow) The message is “accidentally” good in this tweet.

Of course this doesn’t include the wide underreporting of COVID-19 deaths according to many.

“To benefit himself”?.  You seriously need some help!  Can you just leave the building please!

https://www.factcheck.org/2020/04/social-media-posts-make-baseless-claim-on-covid-19-death-toll/

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2020/04/05/us/coronavirus-deaths-undercount.amp.html
don't...don't don't don't don't

tower912

• All American
« Reply #3637 on: April 09, 2020, 12:52:05 PM »
Balderdash.  If a president isn't doing his job, he gets criticized.   It is one of the great American pastimes.   I remember criticisms of every other president in my lifetime.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #3638 on: April 09, 2020, 12:53:58 PM »

The WSJ Editorial Board, notably very, very conservative, adds its thoughts:

The Wall Street Journal Board Has Had Enough Of Donald Trump's Coronavirus Briefings

The editorial board of  The Wall Street Journal on Wednesday published a column attacking President Donald Trump’s daily White House coronavirus task force briefings.

In the editorial titled “Trump’s Wasted Briefings,” the conservative newspaper’s board said the pressers had started off as “a good idea to educate the public” about the pandemic but had now descended into “a boring show of President Vs. the press” after Trump decided to make them all about himself.

Trump’s frequent “outbursts against his political critics” were “notably off-key at this moment” given the “once-a-century threat to American life and livelihood,” it added, noting how public health officials have in the briefings been relegated to the role of “supporting actors.”

https://www.yahoo.com/huffpost/wall-street-journal-donald-trump-coronavirus-briefings-135801841.html
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #3639 on: April 09, 2020, 01:08:22 PM »
The WSJ Editorial Board, notably very, very conservative, adds its thoughts:

The Wall Street Journal Board Has Had Enough Of Donald Trump's Coronavirus Briefings

The editorial board of  The Wall Street Journal on Wednesday published a column attacking President Donald Trump’s daily White House coronavirus task force briefings.

In the editorial titled “Trump’s Wasted Briefings,” the conservative newspaper’s board said the pressers had started off as “a good idea to educate the public” about the pandemic but had now descended into “a boring show of President Vs. the press” after Trump decided to make them all about himself.

Trump’s frequent “outbursts against his political critics” were “notably off-key at this moment” given the “once-a-century threat to American life and livelihood,” it added, noting how public health officials have in the briefings been relegated to the role of “supporting actors.”

https://www.yahoo.com/huffpost/wall-street-journal-donald-trump-coronavirus-briefings-135801841.html

Damn liberal media!

President Pandemic largely uses these to go after "the enemy of the people" media, to tout his TV ratings, to brag about his Facebook status, and of course to rally his base. As always, it's all about me-me-me.

Many governors hold similar daily briefings. They somehow manage to get through them without bragging about themselves constantly. And their underlings don't have to start every comment with a statement about how wonderful their boss is.

As tower said, every president ever gets criticized. I mean, my memory is a little foggy but I seem to recall one clown spending 8 years trying (and failing) to prove that Obama wasn't a U.S. citizen; I can't quite remember who that inept, racist liar was though.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #3640 on: April 09, 2020, 01:09:48 PM »

Goooo, you are letting your political emotions get in the way of reality.

With all due respect, rocket: Your sense of irony is staggering and terrifying.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #3641 on: April 09, 2020, 01:24:17 PM »
It was expected, but in the past 3 weeks, 10% of the entire labor force has applied for unemployment. Another near record this week. The numbers have been mind-boggling.
Part of this spike is that in order to qualify for Pandemic assistance, you must file for unemployment. Here is the info:

Q17: What if I don’t work for a company and am part of the “gig” economy?
A17: Self-employed individuals and gig economy workers—such as contractors and delivery drivers,
whose income has been cut or eliminated by the pandemic—will be eligible under the federal Pandemic
Unemployment Assistance program. The Department of Workforce Development will work to roll out
this new program as soon as possible. For now, an individual can file a regular claim for benefits, as it is
necessary to file a state claim, even if you know you will be denied, before you can be considered
eligible for Pandemic Unemployment Assistance. In

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #3642 on: April 09, 2020, 01:43:30 PM »
Part of this spike is that in order to qualify for Pandemic assistance, you must file for unemployment. Here is the info:

Q17: What if I don’t work for a company and am part of the “gig” economy?
A17: Self-employed individuals and gig economy workers—such as contractors and delivery drivers,
whose income has been cut or eliminated by the pandemic—will be eligible under the federal Pandemic
Unemployment Assistance program. The Department of Workforce Development will work to roll out
this new program as soon as possible. For now, an individual can file a regular claim for benefits, as it is
necessary to file a state claim, even if you know you will be denied, before you can be considered
eligible for Pandemic Unemployment Assistance. In

Makes sense.  I think economists, Wall Street, etc.. will need to focus on those who qualified for unemployment as a better tool during the pandemic.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #3643 on: April 09, 2020, 06:30:38 PM »
Damn liberal media!

President Pandemic largely uses these to go after "the enemy of the people" media, to tout his TV ratings, to brag about his Facebook status, and of course to rally his base. As always, it's all about me-me-me.

Many governors hold similar daily briefings. They somehow manage to get through them without bragging about themselves constantly. And their underlings don't have to start every comment with a statement about how wonderful their boss is.

As tower said, every president ever gets criticized. I mean, my memory is a little foggy but I seem to recall one clown spending 8 years trying (and failing) to prove that Obama wasn't a U.S. citizen; I can't quite remember who that inept, racist liar was though.

Have a Happy Easter Mike!  ;D

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/fox-news-poll-trump-job-approval-hits-new-high-as-voters-rally-during-crisis

“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

jesmu84

• All American

Jay Bee

• All American
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

injuryBug

• Team Captain
« Reply #3646 on: April 09, 2020, 06:39:25 PM »
https://twitter.com/DrEricDing/status/1247719681483509761?s=19

Yikes

sorry from south china not going to trust anything they say.  I will trust the docs close to home

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #3647 on: April 09, 2020, 06:51:33 PM »
I am a bleeding heart but I am also pragmatic.   I admire and appreciate the work done by Dewine and Hogan, for example.   They put the safety of their constituents first.   I could vote for them even though I disagree with most of their politics simply because they stepped up and led.
   Here in Michigan, I compare and contrast Snyder's response  to the Flint water crisis and Gretchen's reponse to Covid.   Which one hid, which one led?

This.. Yesterday, I gave a list of people to trust and included governors from both parties. They are the ones who are honest. They are the ones doing the heavy lifting.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #3648 on: April 09, 2020, 06:57:23 PM »
Have a Happy Easter Mike!  ;D

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/fox-news-poll-trump-job-approval-hits-new-high-as-voters-rally-during-crisis

And happy Miracles, Unicorns and Fairy Godmothers Weekend to you, too, guru!

All of 4 days ago you were giddily touting the following from Real Clear Politics:

I hate to rain on your parade and your agenda...somehow you will spin this, or just deny it, I'm sure..

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/other/public_approval_of_president_trumps_handling_of_the_coronavirus-7088.html

But now that the exact same polling aggregator shows your emperor's numbers dropping like a rock to where his aggregate approval rating is more than 5 points lower than his disapproval rating, you've moved on.

I mean, I hate to rain on your parade and your agenda...somehow you will spin this, or just deny it, I'm sure..

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/other/president_trump_job_approval-6179.html

BTW, that same aggregator -- again the one you were passing off as the shizzle just 4 days ago -- also shows your hero losing to Biden in most head-to-head races.

Now, most intelligent folks here know that polls 7 months before an election pretty much mean squat ... but you keep letting us know every time you can find one in which your hero almost kinda sorta escapes being one of the most unpopular presidents in the history of approval ratings, OK?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #3649 on: April 09, 2020, 07:01:28 PM »
Good NYT Opinion Piece. "The U.S. Approach to Public Health: Neglect, Panic, Repeat"

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/09/opinion/coronavirus-public-health-system-us.html

Makes a good argument that the success of public health measures a century ago led us to complacency and financial neglect of the public health system.

“It was like a great forgetting took place,” Wendy Parmet, a public health law scholar at Northeastern University, told me. “As the memory of epidemics faded, individual rights became much more important than collective responsibility.” And as medicine grew more sophisticated, health began to be seen as purely a personal matter.

Health care spending grew by 52 percent in the past decade, while the budgets of local health departments shrank by as much as 24 percent, according to a 2019 report from the public health nonprofit Trust for America’s Health, and the C.D.C.’s budget remained flat. Today, public health claims just 3 cents of every health dollar spent in the country.