collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")  (Read 1127366 times)

jesmu84

• All American
Re: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")
« Reply #3350 on: April 06, 2020, 05:30:42 PM »
I own plenty of equities but this is my concern.  The market is being propped up by the Fed... near zero rates,  unlimited liquidity,  now buying corporate bonds.  Then add trillions of fiscal stimulus.

A large part of the move of the markets over the past several years was due to stock buybacks.  Financial engineering made things look better versus real organic growth.  Now many companies have huge debt burdens.

Sooner or later this stuff must get unwound.... Fed balance sheets,  corporate balance sheets, etc..

Let's just hope it happens in an orderly manner.

Why hasn't everyone asked how we're going to pay for all this?

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #3351 on: April 06, 2020, 05:34:54 PM »
So the market isn't allowed to be green until the virus is completely eradicated?...The market is a discounting and forecasting mechanism as a whole.  Its forward looking.
I certainly wouldn't say that it isn't allowed a green day, but I do think the magnitude of the up move today was surprising. The states that shut down early with stay-at-home orders are seeing results three weeks later, which is as predicted and a very good thing.

But, since we still have 8 or 9 states that have yet to shut down, and a number more where it is being lightly followed such as Florida and Georgia (where inexplicably the Governor decided to re-open public beaches), it seems to me we are going to have a long, rolling peak.

The market reacted to the fact that social distancing works, but IMO it is acting like the whole country acted unison.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #3352 on: April 06, 2020, 05:36:15 PM »
Why hasn't everyone asked how we're going to pay for all this?

Economists would state the time for the Federal Government to loosen their belts are at times of crisis.  Then tighten when things are good.  The problem is that nobody at the Federal level wants to tighten even in good times.  Ever.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #3353 on: April 06, 2020, 05:40:16 PM »
Economists would state the time for the Federal Government to loosen their belts are at times of crisis.  Then tighten when things are good.  The problem is that nobody at the Federal level wants to tighten even in good times.  Ever.

Eh

Depends who is asking for the loosening/tightening or what thing is being asked for

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #3354 on: April 06, 2020, 05:44:38 PM »
Let me start by saying that I obviously don't wish sickness on him or anybody else, and I hope he can beat this and have a full recovery.

Having said that ...

He is a science denier who just a couple weeks ago was bragging about shaking hands with COVID-19 patients and vowing to continue to do so.

It simply underscores how dangerous these leaders can be -- to themselves and to others -- when they devalue science and downplay deadly illnesses.

So you don’t wish illness on him...but you kinda do, and it serves him right.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #3355 on: April 06, 2020, 05:45:53 PM »

Spot on.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #3356 on: April 06, 2020, 05:53:37 PM »

Character revealed....yet again.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #3357 on: April 06, 2020, 06:12:04 PM »
I hope Boris pulls through.

I also hope he uses his experience to get Brits to take the physical distancing guidelines seriously.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #3358 on: April 06, 2020, 07:02:26 PM »

I absolutely did not say that, Lenny. I'm not surprised that ZFB went there, but I'm disappointed you did.

I don't wish bad things on other people.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #3359 on: April 06, 2020, 07:08:49 PM »

Yes if you refuse to take precautions, get sick yourself knowing that there's a 14 day incubation where you likely infected others and end up giving them permanent damage or killing them then you damn well deserve to get it. And it should be criminal.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2020, 07:12:00 PM by Galway Eagle »
Maigh Eo for Sam

MU82

• All American
« Reply #3360 on: April 06, 2020, 07:10:40 PM »
I hate to rain on your parade and your agenda...somehow you will spin this, or just deny it, I'm sure..

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/other/public_approval_of_president_trumps_handling_of_the_coronavirus-7088.html

Because you said you only care about the top line, and because I'm sure you want the latest news ...

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/other/president_trump_job_approval-6179.html
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #3361 on: April 06, 2020, 07:46:29 PM »
HHS OIG Report: Hospitals trying to make their own disinfectant, running low on TP and food, and trying to get masks from nail salons and auto body shops.

Where is the leadership? Or the accountability?

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2020/04/06/827766022/hospitals-are-sourcing-masks-from-autobody-shops-hhs-inspector-general-finds

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #3362 on: April 06, 2020, 07:54:17 PM »
“Having said that...”

Wow bud. You’re truly a sick individual. May God have mercy on your satanic soul.

Literally nothing that follows suggests ill will, only the sad and ironic outcome that comes from people who don't believe anything but their subjective truths.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #3363 on: April 06, 2020, 08:07:30 PM »
Yes if you refuse to take precautions, get sick yourself knowing that there's a 14 day incubation where you likely infected others and end up giving them permanent damage or killing them then you damn well deserve to get it. And it should be criminal.

Cura personalis.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #3364 on: April 06, 2020, 08:28:46 PM »
Because you said you only care about the top line, and because I'm sure you want the latest news ...

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/other/president_trump_job_approval-6179.html

That's fine, he is still not losing to Sleepy Joe..He doesn't even know what day of the week it is half the time.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #3365 on: April 06, 2020, 08:35:45 PM »
Cura personalis.

Yes caring about the general public more than ignorant f*cks is indeed revealing my character.
Maigh Eo for Sam

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #3366 on: April 06, 2020, 08:42:48 PM »
Yes caring about the general public more than ignorant f*cks is indeed revealing my character.

Jesus is watching you.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #3367 on: April 06, 2020, 08:47:29 PM »
The key is, if the tides were turned, would the same thought even have crossed ones mind? 

If that were one of your family, friend or same “side”
don't...don't don't don't don't

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #3368 on: April 06, 2020, 08:52:31 PM »
The key is, if the tides were turned, would the same thought even have crossed ones mind? 

If that were one of your family, friend or same “side”

I would find it ironic if anyone who bragged about flaunting public health advice in the midst of a pandemic died during that pandemic.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #3369 on: April 06, 2020, 08:57:47 PM »
HHS OIG Report: Hospitals trying to make their own disinfectant, running low on TP and food, and trying to get masks from nail salons and auto body shops.

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2020/04/06/827766022/hospitals-are-sourcing-masks-from-autobody-shops-hhs-inspector-general-finds

"Leadership" apparently is yelling at reporters.Thank God for governors or this country would be doomed.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #3370 on: April 06, 2020, 09:02:15 PM »
Jesus is watching you.

Do you believe in the death penalty ZFB?

What about if a guy during the AIDS crisis continued to have unprotected sex, was exposed and refused to get tested then continued to have more unprotected sex spreading it around till he had symptoms then he wanted all the sympathy? Would you feel bad for him then? I sure wouldn't. I don't have time for people who defend gross negligence because their political views line up with that person.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2020, 09:06:14 PM by Galway Eagle »
Maigh Eo for Sam

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #3371 on: April 06, 2020, 09:08:25 PM »
Do you believe in the death penalty ZFB?

What about if a guy during the AIDS crisis continued to have unprotected sex, was exposed and refused to get tested then continued to have more unprotected sex spreading it around till he had symptoms then he wanted all the sympathy? Would you feel bad for him then? I sure wouldn't. I don't have time for people who defend gross negligence because their political views line up with that person.

Ok, kid.  You'll grow up some day.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #3372 on: April 06, 2020, 09:09:03 PM »

Solution was pretty simple. Attack the IG. I don't expect her to be long for her job.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #3373 on: April 06, 2020, 09:15:14 PM »
Here's the headline in the Racine Journal Times:

If your absentee ballot has not arrived yet, you can still vote in-person Tuesday

So what is a good comp?
1) Boris Johnson suggesting "Go ahead and vote:!
2) Hometown newspaper suggesting Russian Roulette.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #3374 on: April 06, 2020, 09:17:03 PM »
I absolutely did not say that, Lenny. I'm not surprised that ZFB went there, but I'm disappointed you did.

I don't wish bad things on other people.

I believe you Mike, but someone as partisan as you should be careful.

Your post, with it’s ... followed by a personal attack definitely left the impression that you feel the Prime Minister of England is a total moron who had it coming.

feedback