collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")  (Read 1127392 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")
« Reply #2575 on: March 27, 2020, 11:11:11 PM »
I get that and agree totally. Spreading out the number is important. But when all is said and done I doubt very much that an infection rate of 50% or a fatality rate of 3.4% will be remotely close to true.

Let's hope not.

However many it will be, though, it will be too many.

Still on the rise in many, many parts of the country, including mine.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #2576 on: March 28, 2020, 12:47:39 AM »
I get that and agree totally. Spreading out the number is important. But when all is said and done I doubt very much that an infection rate of 50% or a fatality rate of 3.4% will be remotely close to true.

I believe the mortality rate is much much lower then advertised. The virus is more wide spread then reported. How much more remains to be seen, but I'm guessing 7/10 people who get it don't even know it.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #2577 on: March 28, 2020, 07:02:59 AM »
Well done guru, great source.  Gottlieb is an awesome dude!

Just so there is no confusion, I am being 100% honest.

As long as it's not Doug Gottlieb reporting.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #2578 on: March 28, 2020, 07:20:04 AM »
I haven't slept so well the last two weeks.  Somewhat explanation why people are edgier and salty lately.

The Reason You Are Exhausted Is Moral Fatigue
Every small decision feels like it carries the weight of life and death and it's starting to take a toll

By ELIZABETH YUKO

https://www.rollingstone.com/culture/culture-features/corona-exhausted-moral-fatigue-974311/
« Last Edit: March 28, 2020, 07:24:18 AM by MU Fan in Connecticut »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2579 on: March 28, 2020, 07:58:15 AM »
A week or two back, the State Dept suspended routine visas, ostensibly to stop Mexicans from spreading COVID-19.

Well, with farmers suffering from a severe shortage of laborers, the State Dept reversed course yesterday.

https://www.fb.org/newsroom/state-department-clears-the-way-for-agriculture-workforce

I guess we are not as worried about evil Mexicans spreading the virus when they are needed to do the cruddy jobs that Americans refuse to do.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #2580 on: March 28, 2020, 08:37:35 AM »

I haven't slept so well the last two weeks.  Somewhat explanation why people are edgier and salty lately.

Yes. The pandemic has given us a new 800lb. gorilla to worry about, and it's coming at us from both sides. On the one is the very real possibility that we or a loved one could face a potentially deadly health crisis. On the other are new financial stresses, whether in the form of shrinking 401(k) balances, job uncertainty, or loss of a business. And at this point, even if our leaders make all the right decisions and the public follows all the guidelines, it's gonna get worse before it gets better.

The stress has gotten to me and sometimes manifested in aggressive comments, and for that I apologize. And I forgive those who have done likewise.

A few resources I am looking closely at, and which may help others: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/prepare/managing-stress-anxiety.html

Peace

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #2581 on: March 28, 2020, 09:00:10 AM »
Is the implication here that Trump is mad at some governors and telling private companies to not help those states??

https://twitter.com/HouseJudiciary/status/1202271057253687297?s=19

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #2582 on: March 28, 2020, 09:02:01 AM »
good stuff well worth the 10 minutes

Yes it is. I encourage anyone to watch the brief Dr. Fauci interview, very informative.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #2583 on: March 28, 2020, 09:14:03 AM »
Live look at a bus terminal in India today:

https://twitter.com/ShivAroor/status/1243893691657437186?s=19

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #2584 on: March 28, 2020, 09:31:51 AM »
Scott Gottlieb, MD
@ScottGottliebMD
·
13m
This is GAME CHANGER. Abbott to market, starting next week, a fast point-of-care #coronavirus test, delivering positive results in 5min and negative results in 13min. Will deliver 50K tests/day to start. Kudos to Abbott and FDA’s Jeff Shuren and team at CDRH who are in the fight.

Seriously big news. This, along with titer tests to determine who has already recovered and is immune, is what is needed for all Americans. Only way we have enough information to even think about resuming some semblance of normal life.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #2585 on: March 28, 2020, 09:32:16 AM »

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #2586 on: March 28, 2020, 09:35:07 AM »
Seriously big news. This, along with titer tests to determine who has already recovered and is immune, is what is needed for all Americans. Only way we have enough information to even think about resuming some semblance of normal life.
Are we not currently living "some semblance of normal life" rn

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #2587 on: March 28, 2020, 10:02:23 AM »
Examining the largest percent increase of cases this past week in U.S., which is in Missouri, 600%. (increased testing, but still behind, as well as the nation's 2nd largest annual Mardi Gras party in Feb. In Stl
They have been doing the stay at home there for about two weeks now in the larger urban areas of the state)

https://www.stltoday.com/business/local/missouri-is-us-steepest-jump-in-coronavirus-cases-where-is/article_3b3ad75f-a5c8-5457-abaa-9adc9e68f168.amp.html?utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=user-share&__twitter_impression=true

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #2588 on: March 28, 2020, 10:09:44 AM »
Are we not currently living "some semblance of normal life" rn

If you are, you’re doing it wrong.

forgetful

• All American

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #2590 on: March 28, 2020, 10:24:53 AM »
Live look at a bus terminal in India today:

https://twitter.com/ShivAroor/status/1243893691657437186?s=19

Herd immunity is the only thing that will work there. Between the population density, physical nature of the culture, and general disregard for rules or regulations that is pervasive in the culture, social distancing and lockdown would never work. It’s unfortunate but it’s reality

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #2591 on: March 28, 2020, 10:28:32 AM »
If you are, you’re doing it wrong.
Lol ok

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #2592 on: March 28, 2020, 10:35:51 AM »
Herd immunity is the only thing that will work there. Between the population density, physical nature of the culture, and general disregard for rules or regulations that is pervasive in the culture, social distancing and lockdown would never work. It’s unfortunate but it’s reality

To be fair, what you are seeing at that Bus terminal are migrant workers trying to get home after they shut everything down.

That mass of people are those that are poor, and have to go to large cities to find work, so they can send money home to the family. Now they were stranded, with no work, no where to stay, and are desperately trying to get back to their families.

Here is another sad story of the plight the migrant workers are in.

https://www.france24.com/en/20200328-stranded-by-virus-lockdown-india-migrant-workers-walk-home

How many of these migrants now forced to walk will likely die, with no food, shelter, or other resources along their route.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2020, 11:28:28 AM by forgetful »

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #2593 on: March 28, 2020, 11:19:19 AM »
https://twitter.com/PodSaveAmerica/status/1243669716872253440?s=19

That seems... Problematic

Way, way, way more than problematic.

Michigan governor says vendors have been told not to send supplies to Michigan. Trump has publicly said he ordered Pence not to call the Michigan governor.

If true, my friends, that is petty, criminal behavior bordering on outright murder.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #2594 on: March 28, 2020, 11:31:13 AM »
To be fair, what you are seeing at that Bus terminal are migrant workers trying to get home after they shut everything down.

That mass of people are those that are poor, and have to go to large cities to find work, so they can send money home to the family. Now they were stranded, with no work, no where to stay, and are desperately trying to get back to their families.

Here is another sad story of the plight the migrant workers are in.

https://www.france24.com/en/20200328-stranded-by-virus-lockdown-india-migrant-workers-walk-home

How many of these migrants now forced to walk will likely die, with no food, shelter, or other resources along their route.

I understand and it’s very unfortunate. But my point remains. I don’t see how they ever execute it properly in somewhere like Mumbai. It’s the density and issues of Wuhan, but without the draconian hand of the CCP

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #2595 on: March 28, 2020, 11:46:33 AM »
I understand and it’s very unfortunate. But my point remains. I don’t see how they ever execute it properly in somewhere like Mumbai. It’s the density and issues of Wuhan, but without the draconian hand of the CCP

Violence, unfortunately.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #2596 on: March 28, 2020, 12:01:40 PM »
Way, way, way more than problematic.

Michigan governor says vendors have been told not to send supplies to Michigan. Trump has publicly said he ordered Pence not to call the Michigan governor.

If true, my friends, that is petty, criminal behavior bordering on outright murder.

Well sadly I'm sure for the small group that is the liberal echo chamber here, it isn't true-

https://www.mlive.com/public-interest/2020/03/trump-approves-michigan-disaster-declaration-whitmer-says-more-supplies-on-the-way-in-coronavirus-fight.html

https://twitter.com/GovWhitmer/status/1243897197747408897

Sorry your narrative is ruined. 

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #2597 on: March 28, 2020, 12:15:13 PM »

Got it. I thought you may have thought that was business as normal, and they weren't taking measures to reduce the spread.

I do wonder what the real situation in India is like. They are not doing testing.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #2598 on: March 28, 2020, 12:38:14 PM »
I fear we are going to see a larger death-rate in the US than China, hopefully not as bad as Spain and Italy.

The reason, we can't handle the sick. One of the reasons China was able to both mitigate the spread and limit the death rates, is that they tested widely, and isolated the sick within the medical care system (right away). That allowed them to monitor their condition, and limit spread.

In Italy and Spain, they can't do that, and are instead sending people to isolate at home. This doesn't allow them to monitor their conditions, so when the virus ramps up, they don't have time to treat it, and it continues community spread.

Germany, where things have been comparatively better, has more nurses per capita than any of the nations, so they can care for and monitor patients right away. That so far has led to a lower mortality rate, despite them having one of the highest rates of smoking in the world.

Right now, we are leaning toward the Italy/Spain model, but with more testing. Sadly, that means the likely outcome is a higher mortality rate, just not as bad as Italy/Spain, because we are testing more.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2020, 12:41:44 PM by forgetful »

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #2599 on: March 28, 2020, 12:42:57 PM »
Sorry if this has been posted, but I didn't see it.

Trump considering "quarantine" of NY/NJ/Conn area.

https://nypost.com/2020/03/28/trump-says-hes-new-eyeing-coronavirus-quarantine-for-nyc-area/

No details, but what - maybe shutting down all points of entry/exit? Wow.

feedback