collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")  (Read 1127397 times)

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
Re: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")
« Reply #1300 on: March 16, 2020, 02:24:46 PM »
Dewine in Ohio too (just to make sure we are naming some folks on both sides of the aisle)

Absolutely. I mentioned the other two because their states were the first to be affected and they took quick action.

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #1301 on: March 16, 2020, 02:25:17 PM »
Yes, I agree with you. I have no context around it, if you were to know my sister, she's not the kind of person who is a rumor person, she's very textbook and guarded about everything.

I have no idea what that shutdown would entail, but wanted to provide what I heard.

I would think this would start with completely locking the US borders down similar to what Canada just did. Allow the only movement of US Citizens, Residents & Canadians. Then eventually lock the US & Canadian border. Then lock states / cities if need be.

Edit: now this too:

Jackson Proskow  @JProskowGlobal
2m
NEW: Trump asks Americans not to gather in groups of more than 10, to avoid discretionary travel, and not to eat in restaurants or go to bars.

« Last Edit: March 16, 2020, 02:27:57 PM by Chili »
But I like to throw handfuls...

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #1302 on: March 16, 2020, 02:28:55 PM »
I would think this would start with completely locking the US borders down similar to what Canada just did. Allow the only movement of US Citizens, Residents & Canadians. Then eventually lock the US & Canadian border. Then lock states / cities if need be.

Cease domestic air travel and other means of mass transportation.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #1303 on: March 16, 2020, 02:31:03 PM »
One ray of hope I have in all of this is that there seems to be a "concentration" factor to the virus. Whether you call it viral load or time of exposure or what, the more concentrated the exposure the more impactful the virus is and with the at-risk population their concentration level is lower so it doesn't take as much to impact them.

So even if we limit the amount of exposure that will hopefully reduce the amount of critical cases which will make the flattened curve possible.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1304 on: March 16, 2020, 02:31:24 PM »
They have to give people notice though, no?  Less than 24 hours is going to create a disaster

Lockdown isn't EVERYTHING... but its most things, just check out what other countries are doing, and do what works.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1305 on: March 16, 2020, 02:32:24 PM »
Rumor out of Italy, and France is that Anti Inflammatory drugs make this worse.  Consider not taking them if you or someone you know has symptoms.

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #1306 on: March 16, 2020, 02:35:43 PM »
eng,
I suspect back earlier this year when the situation was developing fast in China a complete roll-out would plan would have been developed with medical supplies ordered and in place including significant quantities of test kits.
Now, whether the narcissist-in-chief would have listened or over-ruled them is whole separate and different discussion.

That's very optimistic thinking. That hasn't exactly been the standard response around the world. The only place we've seen such a response is South Korea, who had fortunately just gone through a simulation to prepare for this kind of scenario. If you're assuming Trump's inadequate leadership in the US is the only reason we don't have widespread testing and improved healthcare capacity, then you'd have to lump most other global leaders into the same group.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1307 on: March 16, 2020, 02:37:20 PM »
That's very optimistic thinking. That hasn't exactly been the standard response around the world. The only place we've seen such a response is South Korea, who had fortunately just gone through a simulation to prepare for this kind of scenario. If you're assuming Trump's inadequate leadership in the US is the only reason we don't have widespread testing and improved healthcare capacity, then you'd have to lump most other global leaders into the same group.

Never thought I'd see the day the US lost it status as a world leader/power.

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #1308 on: March 16, 2020, 02:39:18 PM »
Never thought I'd see the day the US lost it status as a world leader/power.

You haven't yet. And you probably won't.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1309 on: March 16, 2020, 02:40:12 PM »
You haven't.

But you see my point, I hope.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1310 on: March 16, 2020, 02:41:08 PM »
I know this isn't surprising or crazy to post, my sister works for the State of Arizona, and has heard that tomorrow the Fed's are going to shut the country down.

I have no context around it, she's not the type of person to share stuff (she's very guarded).

Trump just said they were not considering nationwide quarantine... so... feel free to make your jokes.

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #1311 on: March 16, 2020, 02:51:48 PM »
But you see my point, I hope.

I do, but I think it's a stretch. Our response has obviously not been as good as Korea. But if you look around the world, I don't think anyone has really had a great response from the start outside of Korea. Italy is in really bad shape, the UK is rolling the dice, France is seeing a surge in cases, etc.

The US having an average or even sub-par response to this crisis won't change our leadership role globally. Hopefully it does remind our leaders of our global role, though. And hopefully that can help change some of our practices/policies that might have impacts in areas beyond just budgets.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1312 on: March 16, 2020, 03:04:01 PM »
Trump just said they were not considering nationwide quarantine... so... feel free to make your jokes.

Maybe they'll only consider it after the "miracle" he promised on Feb. 27 doesn't happen.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #1313 on: March 16, 2020, 03:04:09 PM »

Maybe he isn't, but there is a plan in place.....so it goes back to what considering means
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #1314 on: March 16, 2020, 03:24:53 PM »
I looked into the pandemic response closure a little bit since I hadn't actually read any articles on that yet. So far, I've just seen the statement and took it as fact. What I found was.... no surprise, very conflicting accounts.

Beth Cameron , the former Senior Director at the NSC, says the team was dissolved and not replaced. But Tim Morrison, another former senior director at the NSC, says the NSC was reorganized, and the counterproliferation and biodefense office now has pandemic preparedness within its scope.

What's the average joe to believe?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlook/nsc-pandemic-office-trump-closed/2020/03/13/a70de09c-6491-11ea-acca-80c22bbee96f_story.html

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2020/03/16/no-white-house-didnt-dissolve-its-pandemic-response-office/

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #1315 on: March 16, 2020, 03:29:41 PM »
I know this isn't surprising or crazy to post, my sister works for the State of Arizona, and has heard that tomorrow the Fed's are going to shut the country down.

I have no context around it, she's not the type of person to share stuff (she's very guarded).

holy crap!!  i have a 6:55 pm flight down to phoenix tomorrow-do you know if they are going to give us the 24 hour notice? 

don't...don't don't don't don't

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #1316 on: March 16, 2020, 03:30:54 PM »
Rumor out of Italy, and France is that Anti Inflammatory drugs make this worse.  Consider not taking them if you or someone you know has symptoms.

Have seen this as anecdotal evidence from several sources as well. Control fever with acetaminophen. Try not to sprain an ankle. Live the ibuprofen on the shelf for a few weeks.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #1317 on: March 16, 2020, 03:43:33 PM »
Have seen this as anecdotal evidence from several sources as well. Control fever with acetaminophen. Try not to sprain an ankle. Live the ibuprofen on the shelf for a few weeks.

NSAIDS aren't generally recommended for medium/long term use anyway. Unless you have inflammation you should avoid NSAIDs as anything other than spot treatments.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #1318 on: March 16, 2020, 03:44:03 PM »

https://twitter.com/DavidJuurlink/status/1239552349804339202?s=19

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1319 on: March 16, 2020, 03:47:28 PM »

Head of Pharma at Toulouse Hospital.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1320 on: March 16, 2020, 03:51:49 PM »
https://twitter.com/DavidJuurlink/status/1239552349804339202?s=19

Safe to say that there hasn't been any research done to say yes or no.  But, personally, I will avoid them if I become infected.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #1322 on: March 16, 2020, 04:14:22 PM »
so acetometophin is ok? Isn't that an NSAID?

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #1323 on: March 16, 2020, 04:22:29 PM »
so acetometophin is ok? Isn't that an NSAID?

From the Cleveland Clinic website:

Acetaminophen (Tylenol®) is not an NSAID. It’s a pain reliever and fever reducer but doesn’t have anti-inflammatory properties of NSAIDs. However, acetaminophen is sometimes combined with aspirin in over-the-counter products, such as some varieties of Excedrin®.
Ludum habemus.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #1324 on: March 16, 2020, 04:26:50 PM »
For those who are in an office setting... what have the policies/communication looked like from your company?

The company I work for has basically taken the stance that unless the authorities order offices to close, people are expected to come in. So far they are only allowing people to work from home 2 days/week if their job allows for it. I'm furious with our leadership on this. It's irresponsible and borderline dangerous.

Before I completely die on this hill at work, I'm just curious how common this is for companies (especially in MKE) to continue to expect people to work in the office.

feedback