collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")  (Read 1127443 times)

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
Re: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")
« Reply #1000 on: March 13, 2020, 04:15:42 PM »
Has anyone been stocking up on supplies? I'm trying to figure out the right way to do this, honestly. Based on my stop at Woodman's today, the panic buying is getting nuts.

Wasn't there a show:
You, me and the apocalypse.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #1001 on: March 13, 2020, 04:18:15 PM »
Yesterday I went to CostCo and then Meijer. 

CostCo was very busy .. I hear today it's a freaking zoo, with lines reaching the back of the store.

Meijer, on the other hand, was great.   It was busy, but they had everything in stock (minus TP) and it was quite orderly.

My guess is Target/Walmart/Meijer is a far better place to shop during these panic days.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #1002 on: March 13, 2020, 04:21:10 PM »
If it comes down to it, check out places that you wouldn't generally to expect to sell things like toilet paper, hand soap, canned food, etc., e.g., Family Dollar, Dollar Tree, and, believe it or not, many local gas stations.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #1003 on: March 13, 2020, 04:24:30 PM »
If it comes down to it, check out places that you wouldn't generally to expect to sell things like toilet paper, hand soap, canned food, etc., e.g., Family Dollar, Dollar Tree, and, believe it or not, many local gas stations.

Said that to a friend of mine yesterday who rolled her eyes at me as if those are all below her. I hate my age group.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #1004 on: March 13, 2020, 04:28:57 PM »
Can the government impose a quarantine on anybody?

The legal authority to impose quarantines on individuals is rooted in the “police powers” granted broadly to states, counties and cities to protect public health. That means for most Americans, a state or local quarantine imposed to prevent the spread of the coronavirus will be far more important than any federal order.

When it comes to the federal government, it can impose quarantines under the Public Health Service Act for two main reasons: to prevent the spread of communicable disease into the United States or between states. That is why, for example, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention ordered Americans flying home after visiting mainland China or Iran to fly into one of 11 major U.S. airports that had the ability to screen passengers.

Quarantines are considered a measure of last resort when no preferable means is available to halt the spread of a deadly communicable disease. Those subject to quarantine should be either infectious or have been exposed to the disease, experts said.

“We do not want to restrict people’s liberty unless it is necessary, unless we cannot achieve the public health end with less draconian measures,” said Wendy Parmet, the director of the Center for Health Policy and Law at Northeastern University.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/forced-quarantine-questions-answered-121532610.html

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #1005 on: March 13, 2020, 04:40:36 PM »
Said that to a friend of mine yesterday who rolled her eyes at me as if those are all below her. I hate my age group.

Kind of a rookie move to think one could get sanitizer and tp this weekend at a Dollar Tree to be honest.

Shopping at the above mentioned stores isn't really an age or income thing. It's more of an individual person thing.  There are multiple regularly busy Dollar Tree's near me in nice areas. Nothing wrong with going there or anywhere else.  👍
« Last Edit: March 13, 2020, 04:51:08 PM by shoothoops »

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #1006 on: March 13, 2020, 04:52:59 PM »
All WI k-12 schools closed 3/18-4/6, per Tony Evers order.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #1007 on: March 13, 2020, 05:04:44 PM »
I'm not privy to the details as my sources are busy and military (so not necessarily directly involved) but the bones of it sound like shuttering of non-essential businesses, schools, and no unnecessary travel(airports closed or limited). Don't know more than that.

So, in theory, I'd still be able to drive from my home in Chicago to my in-laws in Lake County, IL? That's all I'm really concerned with at the moment. We are going to be relying on them for child care.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #1008 on: March 13, 2020, 05:05:05 PM »
Georgetown has officially called off all in-person school for the remainder of the semester including final exams. As I understand it, by Tuesday my daughter must register for a move-out time before March 29. Apparently they're going to schedule everyone to try to avoid too many on campus at any one time.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #1009 on: March 13, 2020, 05:11:19 PM »
I'm wondering what the impact of closing schools is going be on the availability of healthcare professionals. My wife is an outpatient PT and her hospital is starting to reposition non-primary care givers because of potential unavailability of primary care givers because of child care requirements. Hell there is talk she might have to work as a nursing assistant on the admittance floors if there is a crush and the primary folks are out.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #1010 on: March 13, 2020, 05:12:32 PM »
So, in theory, I'd still be able to drive from my home in Chicago to my in-laws in Lake County, IL? That's all I'm really concerned with at the moment. We are going to be relying on them for child care.

Correct as I understand it..but that was my other point on calling off schools. If kids are carriers you are putting kids into buildings with the most at risk group in the grandparents
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #1011 on: March 13, 2020, 05:20:31 PM »
Interesting article that judging by the cruise ship data where everyone was tested, that the overall mortality may be lower than believed, although still very high for the elderly.

https://www.sciencenews.org/article/coronavirus-outbreak-diamond-princess-cruise-ship-death-rate

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1012 on: March 13, 2020, 05:28:51 PM »
All WI k-12 schools closed 3/18-4/6, per Tony Evers order.

Maybe I should go smoke some weed, aina?

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #1013 on: March 13, 2020, 06:16:28 PM »

CostCo was very busy .. I hear today it's a freaking zoo, with lines reaching the back of the store.

Meijer, on the other hand, was great.   It was busy, but they had everything in stock (minus TP) and it was quite orderly.

My guess is Target/Walmart/Meijer is a far better place to shop during these panic days.

Yep.

I was at Costco yesterday, and like you said, it was crazy. Shelves emptying out, limits on how many of certain items you can buy, long checkout lines, etc.

Today I made a quick run to Target to pick up something that I ordered online and it was very quiet. Plenty of cashiers standing there waiting for customers.

I also went to a small "shop local" specialty store and was the only customer in the place.

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #1014 on: March 13, 2020, 07:16:38 PM »
I have heard from someone who has been dead on all of this since early January that the "lockdown" is going to be for NY, CALI, WASH and NJ.  Though I would think areas in Colorado and Chicago now too.

My GUESS would be no travel in and out of the hot zones.

Just heard from someone connected to a rental car company that they're preparing to close locations at airports.
But I like to throw handfuls...

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #1015 on: March 13, 2020, 07:22:33 PM »
Interesting article that judging by the cruise ship data where everyone was tested, that the overall mortality may be lower than believed, although still very high for the elderly.

https://www.sciencenews.org/article/coronavirus-outbreak-diamond-princess-cruise-ship-death-rate

The weird aspect of that article is it says the fatality rate on the ship was 0.91%, then does some funky math to say in China it would have been 0.5%.

The 0.91% is in line with what most people suggest may be the real fatality rate, 1%.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #1016 on: March 13, 2020, 07:39:29 PM »
Maybe I should go smoke some weed, aina?

I have been.  Plan to continue to, at least until the Army closes the interstates and I can't get to Rockford.  Aina.   8-)

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1017 on: March 13, 2020, 08:00:28 PM »
I have been.  Plan to continue to, at least until the Army closes the interstates and I can't get to Rockford.  Aina.   8-)

Ha, I have randoms I need to pass.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1018 on: March 13, 2020, 08:09:58 PM »

jesmu84

• All American

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #1020 on: March 13, 2020, 08:10:32 PM »
Headed to Cincinnati tomorrow.  Xavier went from online until after Easter to last night's change to online rest of semester.  And also must move everything out of dorms by March 23.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #1021 on: March 13, 2020, 08:21:30 PM »

i was at pic n sav waukesha/south at about 2 pm.  i was expecting the worst.  nothing.  i walked right up to and thru self checkout.  the cashier lines(all 4 of the 7) had maybe 2 waiting while one cashed out.  i did not even attempt to get toilet paper, hand sanitizer, rubbing alcohol as i have plenty at home.  the only thing they were out of that i had on my list was self-serve feta/kalamata olives. 
don't...don't don't don't don't

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #1022 on: March 13, 2020, 08:29:17 PM »
i was at pic n sav waukesha/south at about 2 pm.  i was expecting the worst.  nothing.  i walked right up to and thru self checkout.  the cashier lines(all 4 of the 7) had maybe 2 waiting while one cashed out.  i did not even attempt to get toilet paper, hand sanitizer, rubbing alcohol as i have plenty at home.  the only thing they were out of that i had on my list was self-serve feta/kalamata olives.

1st world problems, aina?

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #1023 on: March 13, 2020, 08:29:51 PM »

You still think we're getting a vaccine in a couple months?

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #1024 on: March 13, 2020, 08:37:56 PM »

Two questions/issues I have with this comparison....why is the 5th in US pegged to the 23rd in Italy, what is the significance that links those? And the US is 5.5x the population of Italy, if we're on the same trajectory why wouldn't we be some approximate number of 5x the "equivalent" Italian date?

feedback