[May 02, 2024, 08:51:36 PM]

NM by Skatastrophy
[May 02, 2024, 07:11:46 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by JWags85
[May 02, 2024, 06:37:52 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by MurphysTillClose
[May 02, 2024, 12:27:48 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: So enough about Lacy....  (Read 3759 times)

MUONTOP

• Starter
So enough about Lacy....
« on: June 13, 2008, 02:09:23 PM »
Ok at this point I've heard enough about how Lacy isn't going to be our PG and how he's a SG anyways, but to be honest I've had the mentality that Marquette is looking at a lot of different top 100 PG's but Lacy was really the only one that was "high" on Marquette and he was always there if we wanted him.  Though that may still be the case it looks like a lot of people are starting to jump ship on Lacy.

What I want to know is of all the TOP 100 PGs which ones have actually listed (quoted) us in their top 3-5 and not just merely have us on there list.  I guess it just seems to me that we are heavily recruiting a lot of PGs but almost none of them have actually put us in there top 3 other than Lacy.  Thanks for anybody's input
« Last Edit: June 13, 2008, 02:25:32 PM by MUONTOP »

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
Re: So enough about Lacy....
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2008, 02:48:29 PM »
See the Wiki

PG - Eric Bledsoe - Michael Dixon - Johnnie Lacy - A.J. Walton - Chris Colvin

http://wiki.muscoop.com/doku.php/men_s_basketball_recruits/start

bma725

• All American
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2008, 03:00:55 PM »
Junior Cadougan.  Top 4 are MU, Louisville, Louisiana Tech, and Baylor.  Cadougan is ranked #37 on HoopScoop and #79 by ESPN.  Not in the top 100 for Scout or Rivals.  Not sure about any of the other services.

Eric Bledsoe has MU in his top 4 as well.  He's #76 on ESPN, #85 on Rivals, #90 on Scout.

I can't recall where I saw it, but I think there was some comment about MU being the leader for Darius Smith, who is #62 on Rivals.

MUONTOP

• Starter
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2008, 03:08:12 PM »
Well thank you bma, I like the idea of the wiki's but all they show me is that, though its early, Udofia is going to Gtech, Bledsoe is going to UAB, Dixon is going to AZ, Purdue or Mizz, Lacy could still end up here, Walton is a three star and I think we can do better, same with Colvin.  Do we take high with a question mark as reliable for Darius Smith?  I think Smith would be a great get.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2008, 03:35:52 PM »
Well thank you bma, I like the idea of the wiki's but all they show me is that, though its early, Udofia is going to Gtech, Bledsoe is going to UAB, Dixon is going to AZ, Purdue or Mizz, Lacy could still end up here, Walton is a three star and I think we can do better, same with Colvin.  Do we take high with a question mark as reliable for Darius Smith?  I think Smith would be a great get.

You're wrong to think Chris Colvin is somehow beneath Marquette.

Don't stress too much over rankings. The kid is borderline top 100 now (#112 on Rivals) who, based on his summer play, could be moving up those lists this fall. He's a pass-first point guard who plays defense and has good size (6-foot-2). Based on what little I've seen of them, his game is a bit like Tyshawn Taylor's, but Colvin may be the better distribuor. He's just a solid, all-around basketball player who doesn't need to score to be effective, and would fit in very well with a recruiting class that includes scorers like Maymon and Erik Williams.

Darius Smith is more of a combo than a pure point guard.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2008, 03:46:15 PM by Pakuni »

bma725

• All American
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2008, 03:44:30 PM »

Thing with Colvin is, he just became a 3 star because he didn't live up to his previous 4 star ranking at the end of his HS season.  Prior to their most recent update, Colvin was in Rivals top 40(maybe even top 30).  ESPN has refused to include him in the rankings because they haven't seen video, but they say, "Chris is a top 40 player nationally in the 2009 class."  He's just as talented as the other top 100 PG's that MU is after, in some cases more talented.

That is not an uncommon thing in this class, same thing happened to Xavier Thames(MU in his final 3) and Junior Cadougan(in Final Four).  For basically two years, 2009's freshman sophomore years, Thames was a top 50 player.  Then mysteriously about a year ago he started slipping.  Not his play particularly, but his ranking.  Now he's nowhere to be found in the top 100.  Cadougan is an even more extreme example.  He's not a familiar name, but at one point he was the top PG in this class and a consensus top 10 player.  But then he moved from Canada to Georgia to Texas, and had some injury issues and weight concerns.  So he dropped, and only two services still have him in the top 100.  Thing is, their talent level didn't drop while their rankings were dropping.  All three are some of the most talented players in this class, certainly more than some of the guys that are ahead of them in the rankings.

As for Smith, I think the high means MU's interest in him, which Mark Miller has talked about in the past.  MU is really pushing on Smith, going after him harder than they are guys like Dixon and Morris.  They seem to be doing the same thing with Cadougan and Thames as well. 

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2008, 07:56:55 PM »
Thing with Colvin is, he just became a 3 star because he didn't live up to his previous 4 star ranking at the end of his HS season.  Prior to their most recent update, Colvin was in Rivals top 40(maybe even top 30).  ESPN has refused to include him in the rankings because they haven't seen video, but they say, "Chris is a top 40 player nationally in the 2009 class."  He's just as talented as the other top 100 PG's that MU is after, in some cases more talented.

That is not an uncommon thing in this class, same thing happened to Xavier Thames(MU in his final 3) and Junior Cadougan(in Final Four).  For basically two years, 2009's freshman sophomore years, Thames was a top 50 player.  Then mysteriously about a year ago he started slipping.  Not his play particularly, but his ranking.  Now he's nowhere to be found in the top 100.  Cadougan is an even more extreme example.  He's not a familiar name, but at one point he was the top PG in this class and a consensus top 10 player.  But then he moved from Canada to Georgia to Texas, and had some injury issues and weight concerns.  So he dropped, and only two services still have him in the top 100.  Thing is, their talent level didn't drop while their rankings were dropping.  All three are some of the most talented players in this class, certainly more than some of the guys that are ahead of them in the rankings.

As for Smith, I think the high means MU's interest in him, which Mark Miller has talked about in the past.  MU is really pushing on Smith, going after him harder than they are guys like Dixon and Morris.  They seem to be doing the same thing with Cadougan and Thames as well. 
Thanks for all the input bma.  Do you do something with high school basketball or just follow it?  You sure do know a lot about potential recruits.

Does anybody know if Colvin played during the tournament at the Al?  He was on Chicago Express or whatever, correct?  If he was I watched some of their game on the first night against a team that it looked like they should have torched, as it was all fairly unathletic, small white kids and they struggled.  From what I saw it looked like a very short kid who was built big was running the point for them.  He could jump out of the ceiling but did not play like a point guard.  If that was him I was not impressed.  Either way out of that game I was not impressed with anybody on that team.  They played very carelessly and out of control.  Hopefully if we are going after him he was just having an off night, whichever one it was.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Murffieus

• All American
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2008, 08:09:54 PM »
I saw Colvin play in AAU ball----he's a good passer and penetrates well but is not exceptional at it. Decent shot, but not exceptional at it again. Marginal PG prospect IMO.

bma725

• All American
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2008, 08:40:21 PM »
Thanks for all the input bma.  Do you do something with high school basketball or just follow it?  You sure do know a lot about potential recruits.

Does anybody know if Colvin played during the tournament at the Al?  He was on Chicago Express or whatever, correct?  If he was I watched some of their game on the first night against a team that it looked like they should have torched, as it was all fairly unathletic, small white kids and they struggled.  From what I saw it looked like a very short kid who was built big was running the point for them.  He could jump out of the ceiling but did not play like a point guard.  If that was him I was not impressed.  Either way out of that game I was not impressed with anybody on that team.  They played very carelessly and out of control.  Hopefully if we are going after him he was just having an off night, whichever one it was.

I don't do anything with it, but I've been following it since before boards were around and I've got some family members that used to be involved in the high school and AAU scene.  Plus, I do a lot of working from home so I have plenty of time to search around the internet for recruiting tidbits all day.

Colvin is guy that is tough to gauge, from what I've read and the bits I've seen him play, when he's on he's amazing, but when he's off, he's really off.  Part of that is he hasn't always been the PG on his team.   He plays on a really guard heavy team at Whitney Young.  AJ Rompza was a senior this year and the starting PG.  Colvin had to play mostly off the ball and didn't do as much at the PG when Rompza was out because they also have Ahmad Starks a talented albeit small PG in the 2010 class.  Plus, WY has Michael Jordan's son Marcus, and Anthony Johnson a 2010 SG that MU is also after.  So it's a bit of switching back and forth IMO that leads to inconsistent play.  He'll have the chance to change that this year.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2008, 09:51:40 PM »
I doubt players "mysteriously slip" because you to take into consideration that 1) they might have been hyped up and 2) more talented players entered the scene or rose.
SS Marquette

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2008, 10:58:11 PM »
I saw Colvin play in AAU ball----he's a good passer and penetrates well but is not exceptional at it. Decent shot, but not exceptional at it again. Marginal PG prospect IMO.

Well if ur as accurate with him as you were with Diener, I say we put the full court press on this kid.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2008, 08:59:49 AM »

agreed, BMA is one of the unsung heros of both boards!

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2008, 09:33:45 AM »
ZFB, I don't care give a rat's ass if Buzz called you. Just let me know when EA chimes in and if she ax for me?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2008, 01:25:05 PM »
ZFB, I don't care give a rat's ass if Buzz called you. Just let me know when EA chimes in and if she ax for me?

4ever, this is Erin.  I'm at ziggy's place right now.  He let me use his computer.

Please stop.  There is nothing between us and there never will be.  Musberger is on his way over to your house, so be a good boy and get his bourbon ready.   :-*

muarmy81

• All American
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2008, 06:45:14 AM »
agreed, BMA is one of the unsung heros of both boards!

+1,  I usually look for his comments with regards to recruits...

feedback