[May 02, 2024, 08:51:36 PM]

NM by Skatastrophy
[May 02, 2024, 07:11:46 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by JWags85
[May 02, 2024, 06:37:52 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by MurphysTillClose
[May 02, 2024, 12:27:48 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Jordan Crawford to Transfer  (Read 8197 times)

bma725

• All American
Re: Jordan Crawford to Transfer
« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2008, 09:20:57 AM »
People seem to forget that Indiana basketball before and after Bob Knight has been exceedingly mediocre. Had IU hired Bob Dukiet instead of Bob Knight back in the early 1970s no one would have ever heard of IU basketball. "It's Indiana" isn't exactly "It's UCLA."

No, actually it wasn't.  There were a down years before Knight, but we're talking about a program that had two Hall of Fame coaches, two National Championships, multiple NCAA appearences in the era when only conference champs went, multiple All Americans etc.  

Indiana has been one of the premier basketball schools in the country since the 1940s, any attempt to diminish what they are just comes off looking like sour grapes.

AlumKCof93

• All American
« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2008, 09:22:00 AM »
I understand that when a new coach comes in, transfers happen. I also understand that the change at IU is not typical as its the result of a scandal, but at this point, when do all of these changes reflect on Tommy?  I'm not referring to the posts on the IU message board, but when does the national media comment on the fact that Crean is helping these kids out the door while offering scholarships at an incredible rate.  Will Crean get a pass now, but then get his critics when the inevitable occurs and the kids he's giving scholies to now transfer out in the next 1-3 years?

If I'm an Indiana fan, I'm a little uneasy about how things are proceeding thus far.  I understand that some of it was bound to happen, but the whole frickin team.  Something stinks in Bloomington.
"Yes, Dinnertime!  The perfect break between work and drunk" - Homer J. Simpson

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2008, 09:55:31 AM »
The two national championships IU won before Knight are hardly noteworthy since the NIT was considered the national championship in both 1940 and 1953. They did have great teams 50-60 years ago, but so did NYU and CCNY. My point was that if Knight had not been hired, no one would be talking about IU basketball.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2008, 10:12:11 AM »
If the IU coach was really a second thought because the state's HS basketball program is so strong, why wasn't Indiana better in the past?

I'm not sure I think the coach is a second thought, I'm just saying that one of the reasons that IU is one of the premier jobs because of that state's basketball culture, and that is culture deeply rooted in high school hoops.

There are a lot of talented kids in Indiana who grow up wanting to play for IU, especially if Crean can start winning again. The coaches, parents, etc. etc. all love high school basketball, and most would love if they went on to IU to play. 

Now, with this said, a winning program isn't a guarantee simply because of the in-state talent, you only need to look at St John's or DePaul to know that.

MR.HAYWARD

• All American
« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2008, 01:05:28 PM »
2002alum...is dead on correct.

As Mu fans we see the affect UW has on the local Wisoconsin kids growing up wanting to go to UW.  Now take a state with a 50% larger population and about 500% more talent.  National title teams could be assembled every year just from the kids that leave the state.  Indiana sent 4 or 5 teams to the NCAA's and in year past it has been more.  When Iu, Purdue, were at the top they typicaly had 9-10 Indiana kids on the roster.  Look at Purdues success last year starting 4 freshamn from within an hours drive.  heck even Butler has put together a great program picking up the scraps.  Bruce Pearl won howmany D2 national titles picking up the scraps. Even small Schools like Bethel and grace collge simply own the NCCAA and NAIA national title using local talent.  Homer Drew won gobs of National title at Bethel before taking the Valpo job which again has had good success using local kids.   Talent out the wazoo. 

feedback