'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Buzz Attacks  (Read 13804 times)

ATWizJr

• All American
Re: Buzz Attacks
« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2008, 08:33:30 AM »
Dog - the problem with your example is, you've at least seen some of TM's post up game and therefore have a basis to form an opinion. 

Buzz is in the early stages of executing his coaching duties, so, why not wait to air negativity until there is some actual basis for criticism like, poor recruiting or coaching results?

In other words, why not be optimistic until there is reason not to be?

wildbill sb

• Team Captain
« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2008, 08:41:11 AM »
Folks,

It ain't rocket surgery, for Pete's sake, it's basketball.  Buzz has hired all the coaching "surgeons" he needs.  In my view, college basketball can be summed up in one word:  RECRUITING. If that's the case,  it looks like Buzz is doing a pretty darn good job so far.

wildbill sb

p.s.  "Renewable energy IS homeland security"
“I’m working as hard as I can to get my life and my cash to run out at the same time. If I can just die after lunch Tuesday, everything will be perfect.”  - Doug Sanders, professional golfer

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2008, 10:05:37 AM »
Dog - the problem with your example is, you've at least seen some of TM's post up game and therefore have a basis to form an opinion. 

Buzz is in the early stages of executing his coaching duties, so, why not wait to air negativity until there is some actual basis for criticism like, poor recruiting or coaching results?

In other words, why not be optimistic until there is reason not to be?

I am being optimistic.  THis thread was about 'attacks'.  Conversation is over.

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2008, 10:47:53 AM »
cloture?  taking your opinion and going home? you're right, meaningless.

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2008, 11:03:18 AM »
oh yeah, i write all of this:
-----------------------------------------
wtf?  Please find one "BUZZ ATTACK!" post I've written?   Did you read the title of the thread?  it is 'Buzz Attacks' not 'optimism about buzz should not in any way be tempered by his lack of experience'.

I, as I've repeatedly said, have high hopes for buzz that doesn't mean his lack of experience doesn't cause me to experience a shred or worry.  That makes me negative? 
According to posters like you saying: "Buzz seems like a charismatic guy and, although I'm confident about his recruiting ability, because of his lack of HC experience, I'm holding back my optimism until he shows me some x's and o's."  is negative.  I don't see it that way, but is that an attack?  Does that make me a hater?

But i digress.  My point is that said 'Attacks' (for the most part) don't exist, and that they are just in the minds of hyper sensitive people.
I don't think i ever said 'negativity' doesn't exist but I do feel that many people here think that concern, worries or even tempered optimism = negativity or attacking.
Those people seem extremly reactionary and annoying and cause people to defend their positions which create most of 'attack' posts you may be able to dig up.
---------------------------
yo udon't respond to anyof it and i'm supposed to keep defending myself for 'beign negative'.  Find one negative post.  You can't can you clown shoes?  It should be easy there is search functionality built into this site. 

jon bon

« Reply #30 on: June 12, 2008, 11:20:32 AM »
Did I mistakenly type in AstheWorldTurns.com instead of MUscoop.com this morning? 

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #31 on: June 12, 2008, 12:24:10 PM »
What I object to is taking gratuitous potshots at the program. 

Ex. the bit about using the pr experts is dogspeak for, "I think MU has made a bad choice but I can't prove it yet , so  rather than wait to see how it plays out I'll just say that the hire is so bad that MU has to use pr experts to defend itself."  I'd call that negative and a fantasy.

And it is also unnecessary to resort to ad hominem attacks and name calling.  But that's your call.  No style points.

Seems to me I remember you being upset when someone made fun of your handle a while ago.  So, before you call people "clown shoes" or suggest that they find the sesame street board,  think twice and practice what you preach.

As to the"meaningless" comment I am simply quoting you when you said, "nothing on this board is meaningful".  Therefore, everything on this board is meaningless.

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #32 on: June 12, 2008, 01:55:36 PM »
You are really, really frustrating me here.  My point is that people who say "I like buzz and think he's going to be a great recruiter although his short resume does concern me a little."  Aren't attacking him.
Can you agree on that much?  All I've been saying this entire time is that people are bing hypersensitive when they get defensive about statements as benign as the above paragraph.

If you remember one post from a year ago one would think that you would remember that I'm one of the most positive fans here who constantly defends MU.  Just recently i was defending their schedule do you want to berate me for other people being negative about that?

Why do you keep bringing up some person who is crazy and said that the BoD freaked out about the 'D' the hire received on rivals.com and thus bought off a journal reporter? 
That wasn't me, and it isn't an attack on buzz.  (BTW you seem to like to act as if there has been no negative press, I don't care about it because i realize that the guy working for si.com just has his resume to go off of and doesn't know him thus is less informed than strong was)
And I don't care if they think the world works that way and post it here.  Go start a thread that says "People who think mu controls the media and use that control to react to negative press in order to manipulate the population should be quite." 

I apologize for calling you clown shoes, you are clearly penny loafers.  But i think sesame street board was completely called for.  If the comments of 'negative' people weren't on this board it would be boring and people wouldn't come.  That is what all you sensitive people don't seem to realize.

I apologize for calling sensitive people sensitive.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #33 on: June 12, 2008, 02:18:25 PM »
Did I mistakenly type in AstheWorldTurns.com instead of MUscoop.com this morning? 

I think the only thing this thread is missing now, is this:

<a href="http://www.instantrimshot.com/rimshot.swf" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.instantrimshot.com/rimshot.swf</a>

Chicago_inferiority_complexes

• All American
« Reply #34 on: June 12, 2008, 03:22:49 PM »
Rawdogdx,

Don't even waste your time. He's not looking for an apology, he's looking for you to continually grovel because he feels empowered by defending whatever action MU takes and attempting to make you look like the bad guy, like many of the kool-aid drinkers on this message board (and in the fan base).

jon bon

« Reply #35 on: June 12, 2008, 04:04:15 PM »
Kool aid drinkers? 

I just don't think many MU fans are stupid enough to downgrade our current coach until a little proof is out there.   Recruits do actually read stuff on the internet. 

nola03

« Reply #36 on: June 12, 2008, 07:42:00 PM »
Kool aid drinkers? 

I just don't think many MU fans are stupid enough to downgrade our current coach until a little proof is out there.   Recruits do actually read stuff on the internet. 

What would Buzz be downgraded from? People are just voicing their concern.

A little proof is out there. He was a pretty good recruiter at Texas A&M and a not so good head coach at New Orleans.

Yes, recruits do read this kind of stuff. Then again, Maymon still decided on MU so it can't be as impacting as some think it is.

jon bon

« Reply #37 on: June 12, 2008, 07:51:01 PM »
What did you expect Buzz to do with a 10-19 team?

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #38 on: June 12, 2008, 09:13:24 PM »
so, in summary, of my position anyway, let's lay off until we see what the guy can do.  as for kool aid drinking, I don't think so.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #39 on: June 12, 2008, 10:50:05 PM »
What would Buzz be downgraded from? People are just voicing their concern.

A little proof is out there. He was a pretty good recruiter at Texas A&M and a not so good head coach at New Orleans.

In 2006-07, New Orleans improved its win total by four games over 2005-06 - including five more wins against D-I opponents and three more wins in conference while playing a tougher non-conference schedule than the previous year - while playing under pretty awful circumstances.

That's a "not so good" coaching job?
Wow, you're a tough grader.

Chicago_inferiority_complexes

• All American
« Reply #40 on: June 12, 2008, 11:06:20 PM »
lol ... "jon bon" is gone? what?

I'm guessing either 1) someone outed him as PRN or 2) he said something stupid and was banned.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #41 on: June 12, 2008, 11:34:40 PM »
In 2006-07, New Orleans improved its win total by four games over 2005-06 - including five more wins against D-I opponents and three more wins in conference while playing a tougher non-conference schedule than the previous year - while playing under pretty awful circumstances.

Well, a few missing pieces....the overall schedule strength during Buzz's one year was 203 vs a 150 the year prior.  So Buzz did play an overall easier schedule.  Plus, overall in 2006 New Orleans played 27 games against DI teams while in 2007 with Buzz they played 30 games against DI.

Having cleared that up, he certainly had to deal with some very difficult circumstances...though the actual hurricane hit the year prior (August 2005) to Buzz when that coach had to deal with even more difficult circumstances...but both had tough things to deal with.

I'm sure some will constitute this as an attack, but I'm simply filling in some missing pieces that's all.

Murffieus

• All American
« Reply #42 on: June 13, 2008, 07:00:22 AM »
What did you expect Buzz to do with a 10-19 team?

Buzz had the best player in the conference plus the #5 trey shooter in the country----plus two other very good players in addition to a 6' 10" guy (don't know much about him". UNO pas picked to win his division by some of the preseason mags.

UNOs offense under buzz wasn't bad at 73 ppg but their defense was atrocious at 76 ppg.

Looks to me like Buzz has a learning curve to overcome!

muwarrior87

• All American
« Reply #43 on: June 13, 2008, 07:50:53 AM »
lol ... "jon bon" is gone? what?

I'm guessing either 1) someone outed him as PRN or 2) he said something stupid and was banned.

i'd guess the latter based on the superbar topic that got deleted by the mods.

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #44 on: June 13, 2008, 09:23:38 AM »
Given the team's Offensive and Defensive Efficiencies (104.3 Off ; 114.9 Def), the team should have finished with a record of 7.4 - 22.6.

Considering the team actually had a record of 13-17 against D1, that represents a decent coaching job.
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

Murffieus

• All American
« Reply #45 on: June 13, 2008, 09:56:50 AM »
Given the team's Offensive and Defensive Efficiencies (104.3 Off ; 114.9 Def), the team should have finished with a record of 7.4 - 22.6.

Considering the team actually had a record of 13-17 against D1, that represents a decent coaching job.

I look at that a little differently------- offensive efficiency rating was very good (a #56) rating-----however defense rating was # 333, which is absolutely horrible. Furthermore UNO in 2006-07 went only 3 - 13 against top 200 RPI teams.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2008, 10:08:48 AM by Murffieus »

nola03

« Reply #46 on: June 13, 2008, 10:25:20 AM »

That's a "not so good" coaching job?
Wow, you're a tough grader.

Not really a tough grader at all.

Didn't write it was terrible. Didn't write it was awful. Didn't write it was underwhelming.

Wrote that it was not so good. 14-17, to me, is not so good. That's my standard of opinion. I can replace that phrase with "decent". Does that make it better?

For perspective, if Marquette finishes 22-11 this season and 7th in the Big East I will also write that Buzz' coaching was not so good. It isn't just numbers.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2008, 10:29:33 AM by nola03 »

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #47 on: June 13, 2008, 11:12:26 AM »
jon bon told me to notify the board he was not banned.   He thought Muscoop gave love a bad name and decided this wasn't for him and headed back to Jersey.  FYI

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #48 on: June 13, 2008, 01:55:19 PM »
He thought Muscoop gave love a bad name

That's odd, some people just runaway, never say goodbye, and then don't come back.  How could he fall in and out of love with MUScoop so quickly?  Seems like there must have been some bad medicine.

Oh well, I guess the site will just keep livin' on a prayer.

MUBB7703

« Reply #49 on: June 15, 2008, 05:18:51 AM »
I have read a lot of these comments about Buzz's record at NO that suggest the results were not all that good as evidence that Buzz dis not all that good as a game coach.  I have no idea what type of talent that Buzz had on that team, so I think it is hard to evaluate him without knowing the level of talent he inherited.  I looked at Crean's first two seasons at MU and he only went 15-14 each season.  It takes at least three years for a coach to rebuild a faltering program. 

Now the situation Buzz takes over at MU this year is completely different than Crean's situation when he took over and probably Buzz's when he took over NO.  Buzz has an experienced, talented team this year.  While I expect it may lose a few games early as the team learns the systems Buzz will employ, I would think by the end of the year, the team should be playing well.  Much like Crean would have been evaluated this year, Buzz will be evaluated on how this team does in the tournament.