[May 02, 2024, 08:51:36 PM]

NM by Skatastrophy
[May 02, 2024, 07:11:46 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by JWags85
[May 02, 2024, 06:37:52 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by MurphysTillClose
[May 02, 2024, 12:27:48 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Dick Strong and Buzz  (Read 21896 times)

Sir Lawrence

• All American
Dick Strong and Buzz
« on: June 10, 2008, 05:15:04 AM »
From this morning's J/S:

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=760174

Strong wields influence behind scenes at Marquette
By DON WALKER
dwalker@journalsentinel.com
Posted: June 9, 2008

You can find him at most Marquette University men's basketball games, home or away.

Dick Strong has plenty of influence in Marquette's men's basketball program.

At the Bradley Center, he sits directly across from the Marquette bench.

To most fans, he's just a fan who probably paid a lot of money to secure a choice seat to watch the Golden Eagles play basketball in the Big East Conference.

He's not just any fan or supporter, however.

Ask anyone knowledgeable about the Marquette athletic program who is the biggest supporter of the Golden Eagles and the answer is always the same:

Dick Strong.

Four years after Strong's multi-billion-dollar mutual fund company unraveled after he and the firm he founded were targeted in an improper trading investigation, Strong now finds solace supporting Marquette men's basketball.

It is an unusual relationship. At many schools across the country, prominent benefactors are often publicly recognized for their money and support. At the University of Wisconsin, a public university, benefactors are routinely named and honored for their support.

But that's not the Dick Strong way. Or for that matter, Marquette's.

It is a testament to Strong's influence on the program that few people, either inside or outside the school, will even talk about Strong.

With the sole exception of Father Robert Wild, the president of the university, no athletic department official would agree to speak to the Journal Sentinel about Strong and his relationship with the program.

Steve Cottingham, the school's new athletic director, wouldn't talk about Strong either on or off the record. Greg Kliebhan, the school's vice president, turned down two requests to be interviewed.

Tom Crean left Marquette abruptly to become the head coach at Indiana University but nonetheless enjoyed a long, friendly relationship with Strong. Crean "politely declined" an interview request.

Crean's predecessor, Mike Deane, also declined a request.

The same is true for the school's new basketball coach, Buzz Williams. Williams, who was extensively interviewed by Strong, declined to speak about Strong.

Strong himself did not respond to repeated attempts to interview him.

For Strong, staying under the radar is nothing new. He was that way when he ran Strong Funds, an independent money-managing company he took years to build.

But after then New York attorney general Eliot Spitzer accused Strong of timing certain financial transactions to benefit certain clients, Strong settled for $175 million. Strong eventually sold his company - with nearly $34 billion in assets - to Wells Fargo.

Strong soon turned his attention to forming Baraboo Growth LLC, an investment firm with an office near I-94 and N. 84th St.

While Strong prefers to stay way out of the spotlight, sources say he plays an influential role in the program. It begins with financial support, but it recently included Strong's effort to help Marquette find a replacement for Crean.

As with everyone else connected with the Marquette program, Strong was blind-sided by Crean's decision to leave Marquette abruptly and go to Indiana University.

As Marquette scrambled to find a new coach, the search group settled on Williams, who had been an assistant to Crean.

It is the measure of Strong's influence with the program that Strong was the only booster who had a private interview with Williams only days before Williams' hiring was announced.

Wild said that was his recollection as well.

"I was in Washington and I was working on a search for a new provost, so it's very difficult to answer that question," Wild said. "I believe the answer is yes, but I don't have all of the details."

Wild said it was no secret that Strong was "very interested in the program. He cares a great deal about it. He became very good friends with Tom Crean, and Dick is somebody worth listening to, I think. There's obviously a number of people that we naturally feel can help us."

Wild said Strong had been helpful to the university in a number of ways. "I try to talk with people like that who can help us think better and more creatively about the program. They really care," Wild said.

One source who has worked with Strong and knows him well said Strong would do anything for Marquette.

"This will sound saccharine, but he's a Milwaukee guy," the source said. "How big is he? This would explain why Marquette is not Loyola or DePaul."

Another Strong friend said Strong was, by far, the major booster to the Al McGuire Center, the $31 million facility that provided a huge boost to the entire athletic program. Wild declined to confirm that, but said Strong "certainly would have pitched in."

"He does not like to be in the headlights," said a third source who knows Strong. "I don't think he has many friends. But he has been a huge supporter of the team, and he was the major donor for the Al McGuire Center."

George Reis, a Two Rivers money manager who knows Strong, used an old sales analogy to describe Strong's level of commitment. In a bacon-and-egg breakfast, the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed. Strong, Reis said, is committed.

"He does prefer to be in the background. But whatever Dick does, he does it to excess," Reis said.

During Crean's nine years with Marquette, Strong enjoyed access to the program that few Marquette fans have. Strong also arranged to bring in well-known and successful people to speak to the players, including Hall of Famer Bill Russell and military heroes whom Strong admired.

With a new basketball era about to start at Marquette with Williams, there is little doubt Strong will play a strong behind-the-scenes role.

At the press conference announcing Williams' new job, Cottingham thanked many people for helping him in the process, including Wild, university backer John Bergstrom and other prominent Marquette officials.

Strong was never mentioned. But for those close to the Marquette program, Cottingham didn't have to.

They already knew.

« Last Edit: June 10, 2008, 05:17:15 AM by Sir Lawrence »
Ludum habemus.

4everwarriors

• All American
Re: Dick Strong and Buzz
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2008, 06:20:32 AM »
I rest my case.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

THEGYMBAR

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2008, 06:53:21 AM »
Does anyone now doubt the process is flawed?

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2008, 07:02:24 AM »
Results - si

Process - no

downtown85

• All American
  • Ad majoram Dei gloriam.
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2008, 07:24:18 AM »
Did a little searching and found a good Fortune magazine article on Strong.  Man he would be tough to work for!

http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortune/fortune_archive/2003/11/24/353793/index.htm

CrackedSidewalksSays

[Cracked Sidewalks] Marquette basketball's money man
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2008, 07:30:08 AM »
Marquette basketball's money man

Written by: noreply@blogger.com (NY Warrior)

Here's a must read 'profile' on Dick Strong, the heavyweight businessman/Marquette basketball fan and benefactor.  Why is it a must read?

"How big is he (Strong)? This would explain why Marquette is not Loyola or DePaul."

Don Walker of the Journal-Sentinel has the report

http://www.crackedsidewalks.com/2008/06/marquette-basketballs-money-man.html

RedWebster

• Starter
Re: [Cracked Sidewalks] Marquette basketball's money man
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2008, 07:37:08 AM »
I guess we now know why Tom Pippins is doing stories on Buzz Williams in early June.

Let's review the series of events as they likely went down this week:

1. Don Walker asks MU to comment about Dick Strong's influence on Buzz Williams' hiring for a piece he's working on in the JS.

2. MU panics and arranges piece with Channel 6.

3. MU asks Rosiak to counter the negative publicity by publishing puff piece on Buzz in JS.

4. Buzz is asked to arrange for Rosiak to interview Gillespie for his blog.

Let's ask ourselves:

1. Why is MU still trying to spin this hiring? Are they hearing that much negativity?

2. Is it possible that the JS/Don Walker continues to hear so much negative reaction to this hiring that they decided to look into why MU hired such an inexperienced and seemingly unqualifed candidate?

3. Is it any coincidence that this firestorm has erupted the week season ticket invoices were mailed?

This hiring continues to be extremely flammable and MU is standing by with buckets of water at every turn. A couple questionable losses early next year and you're going to need a fire retardant suit to get into the lower bowl.

The fact of the matter is they're asking season ticket holders to pay high prices for a major college basketball program and they just hired a guy who probably couldn't have gotten an interview at Stevens Point.

It seems to me that after two months people are finally taking stock of what has transpired and they're genuinely pissed off. And it's not Crean's departure. It's this hire. It's been two months and you would have thought it was yesterday by today's Journal.

This could get very, very ugly in a hurry. 

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2008, 07:57:46 AM »

3. Is it any coincidence that this firestorm has erupted the week season ticket invoices were mailed?

PRN ... is that you?

Anyhow, your attempt to characterize as a "firestorm" a puff piece about Buzz's family and a story about a major college ath;letic program that has - gasp! - an influential booster is quite laughable.

I can't believe I'm going to say this, but you were more interesting when you were nickname obsessed.

downtown85

• All American
  • Ad majoram Dei gloriam.
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2008, 07:58:49 AM »
It's a conspiracy man!   :o

« Last Edit: June 10, 2008, 09:12:37 AM by downtown85 »

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2008, 08:02:28 AM »
The only new (eyebrow raising) bit of information in that article was that Strong interviewed Buzz before his hire.

Anyone surprised?  Strong is the #1 donor for MUBB.  To an extent, the MU coach is partially Strong's employee.  

I highly doubt MU was in a "panic" because that non-surprising story was going to be published.

jce

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2008, 08:13:18 AM »
Does anyone now doubt the process is flawed?

I am not understanding the problem here.  Do you think that a major financial underwriter of the basketball program should *not* be granted input into who the next coach should be?  He's donated millions to the basketball program, but the University should just say "this is our decision...you are not a stakeholder" and shut him out?  That would be moronic.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2008, 08:16:21 AM »
The fact of the matter is they're asking season ticket holders to pay high prices for a major college basketball program and they just hired a guy who probably couldn't have gotten an interview at Stevens Point.

No, no, no... not even close.  I don't even know where to begin with this ignorant statement.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2008, 08:29:00 AM »
Many times on this site there have been complaints about the lack of coverage in the local media regarding Marquette. Now they are giving our new coach some nice coverage and people think there is a conspiracy going on. I do not know how peole can handle life always looking for the negative. I believe Crean would have done anything he could to increase the coverage. The only significant coverage he got was when he refused to play UWM. Perhaps the local media did not like Crean and would not give him anything extra. Perhaps at this point they like Williams and therefore are giving him the coverage Crean would have loved to get. As long as we are on conspiracies, I have felt for a while that the Big East refs hated Crean. It will be interesting this year to see how the refs react to Williams.

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2008, 08:39:47 AM »
Many times on this site there have been complaints about the lack of coverage in the local media regarding Marquette. Now they are giving our new coach some nice coverage and people think there is a conspiracy going on.

+1

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2008, 08:46:08 AM »
To a degree, Dick Strong is MU's Boone Pickens (with a couple less 0's in his checking account, but still a lot more than the vast majority of us).

Coach Norman Dale

• Starter
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2008, 08:47:52 AM »
PRN ... is that you?

This was also my immediate reaction when reading the very 1st ever posting of "RedWebster".   :P

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2008, 08:54:33 AM »
This was also my immediate reaction when reading the very 1st ever posting of "RedWebster".   :P

+1
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Coach Norman Dale

• Starter
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2008, 09:00:24 AM »
then New York attorney general Eliot Spitzer accused Strong of timing certain financial transactions to benefit certain clients

Anyone know what happened to this Spitzer fella?  I would expect a man of such high moral character would go far in politics.   

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2008, 09:09:21 AM »
The only new (eyebrow raising) bit of information in that article was that Strong interviewed Buzz before his hire.

Yes, that certainly made my eyebrows raise.

A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

muball

• Starter
Dick Strong & MU
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2008, 09:42:37 AM »
Saw some comments he must have been a tough person to work for. I never worked for him but I had the opportunity to play basketball with him years ago when he was at M&I prior to Strong C. Was a good player and yes played hard, very competitive individual in sports and business.

Later I had the opportunity to work with his company providing technology. His employees were treated extremely well and everything was FIRST CLASS. He hired extremely talented people who dealt fairly with vendors and business partners.  I was in the computer business and it was a pleasure working with Strong C as they were above board ensuring a win win scenario for both our companys.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2008, 09:59:05 AM »
Anyone know what happened to this Spitzer fella?  I would expect a man of such high moral character would go far in politics.   

+1    ;)

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2008, 10:06:19 AM »
To a degree, Dick Strong is MU's Boone Pickens (with a couple less 0's in his checking account, but still a lot more than the vast majority of us).

Yup.  The two men are similar in many ways as well.  My dad was a geologist in the oil business for decades before passing, he used to tell me a lot of stories about Pickens.  There is a great interview with Pickens this month in Fast Company magazine as well, definitely worth the read.

Both are highly intellectual men, when they become involved in something the go all in (not half arse), they admire strong leaders..no pun intended (admire military leaders, etc), etc.  Happy to have him on board and helping MU out.

The comment about Loyola and Depaul vs MU is an important one.   I did find it interesting that no one wanted to be on the record about him, however.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2008, 10:22:36 AM by ChicosBailBonds »

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2008, 10:19:42 AM »
Quote from: Coach Norman Dale on Today at 09:00:24 AM

+1    ;)

+2
« Last Edit: June 10, 2008, 10:21:40 AM by Chili »
But I like to throw handfuls...

Marquette84

• All American
« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2008, 10:22:15 AM »
It's intresting to see that some folks simultaneously think that their own season ticket investement gives them the right to dictate the "flaws" in the coaching hiring process, but then turn around and are offended that Dick Strong has earned that voice based on his commitments to the program.

Apparently, those people feel there is a narrow range that qualfies one to know what's best for MU, to the exclusion of all others.

You don't buy season tickets:  You don't deserve a voice

You contbute millions + personal commitment:  You don't deserve a voice

How much less would Dick Strong have to support MU in order for him to be considered an equal.

It's clear that many of you feel that your voice deserves more attention than Strong's.  

Why?  

MUONTOP

• Starter
« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2008, 10:32:57 AM »
That Cnn Money article paints a pretty poor picture of Mr. Strong.  I think its great to have such a passionate and competitive (not to mention wealthy) supporter for our basketball program but it seems quite humorous to me that a man with such an obviously poor ethical reputation has such a strong (pardon the pun) connection to a school that preaches Jesuit values and requires several ethics courses.  I guess thats probably why Fr. Wild is the only person to actually acknowledge the relaitionship....