[Today at 11:12:06 AM]

[Paint Touches] Love in the time of the Portal Kombat by frozena pizza
[Today at 08:33:37 AM]

Welcome Jack Anderson! by Jay Bee
[May 02, 2024, 08:58:35 PM]

NM by Skatastrophy
[May 02, 2024, 07:11:46 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: NFC North/NFL Thread 2016-17  (Read 251745 times)

DegenerateDish

• All American
Re: NFC North/NFL Thread 2016-17
« Reply #175 on: August 29, 2016, 04:29:44 PM »
Preseason games as a whole are meaningless, but there is context that can surface if one pays close enough attention.

If you're a Bears fan, based on what I've seen, and more importantly what I've heard an interpreted, I think this is a really critical season, in that it's about who you are and where you're going. To be clear, this isn't a playoff roster, they are not going to the postseason. There's a simmering of 3-13 lurking, and if you listen closely, I think certain guys on the team know it, mainly Cutler. I don't think he thinks his protection is any good, I think he thinks Kevin White sucks, and if guys he likes (Miller, Royal, Jeffrey) are beat up and not playing, the wheels are going to come off. Their defense is a bunch of good (not great) players up front, with a bad secondary.

Importantly, what if Kevin White sucks? What if Leonard Floyd sucks? I didn't like the Fox hire originally because I didn't see him as a HC willing to grow with a rebuilding team, and if those guys can't play, where are they a year from now? Cutler's deal essentially is a year to year deal after 2016, is he around? Is Fox around? Does Ryan Pace survive if White and Floyd suck?

Sorry, back to your regularly scheduled programming...

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #176 on: August 29, 2016, 04:39:06 PM »
I thought right when they drafted White that it was a mistake, absolutely hated the pick and wish they went with a safety. Obviously its a little premature to make such a rash decision since he hasn't played a meaningful down in the NFL yet but its not exactly looking good either.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #177 on: August 29, 2016, 04:47:12 PM »
I thought I had heard Kevin White was ready for a breakout season.  Not sure where I saw that but we've also heard heading into a number of seasons that Jay Cutler was ready to be a league MVP and that Davante Adams was a #1 WR in the making so...
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #178 on: August 29, 2016, 05:58:11 PM »
Preseason games as a whole are meaningless, but there is context that can surface if one pays close enough attention.

If you're a Bears fan, based on what I've seen, and more importantly what I've heard an interpreted, I think this is a really critical season, in that it's about who you are and where you're going. To be clear, this isn't a playoff roster, they are not going to the postseason. There's a simmering of 3-13 lurking, and if you listen closely, I think certain guys on the team know it, mainly Cutler. I don't think he thinks his protection is any good, I think he thinks Kevin White sucks, and if guys he likes (Miller, Royal, Jeffrey) are beat up and not playing, the wheels are going to come off. Their defense is a bunch of good (not great) players up front, with a bad secondary.

Importantly, what if Kevin White sucks? What if Leonard Floyd sucks? I didn't like the Fox hire originally because I didn't see him as a HC willing to grow with a rebuilding team, and if those guys can't play, where are they a year from now? Cutler's deal essentially is a year to year deal after 2016, is he around? Is Fox around? Does Ryan Pace survive if White and Floyd suck?

I always believed, in both of those drafts, they should have tried to trade down and stockpile picks. Now, maybe they did attempt that, but neither Floyd or White seemed like good decisions at the time.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #179 on: August 29, 2016, 06:05:18 PM »

Jesus man....season is already over for you.     Not a good feeling.

I agree there are question marks, most importantly how good of a coach Dowell Loggains is, but you didn't lose that much and got younger at rb and te.  You play the Eagles, Cowboys, Titans, and 49ers.  There's four wins right there.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #180 on: August 29, 2016, 06:33:09 PM »
Jesus man....season is already over for you.     Not a good feeling.

I agree there are question marks, most importantly how good of a coach Dowell Loggains is, but you didn't lose that much and got younger at rb and te.  You play the Eagles, Cowboys, Titans, and 49ers.  There's four wins right there.

I'm pretty level headed, all I said was this is a critical season, said this isn't a playoff caliber roster, and if they regress from 6 wins to 3 or 4, some serious questions need to be asked about the state of things.

Nothing is a given, both for and against, and also the 2015 version of the Bears lost to the Niners.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #181 on: August 29, 2016, 06:37:12 PM »
Also, I'm not trying to be a jerk, but Zach Miller is 31, Martellus Bennett is 29.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #182 on: August 29, 2016, 06:42:14 PM »
Zach Miller is 31, wow.    My mistake, less miles on him at least is a positive for you guys.

brandx

« Reply #183 on: August 29, 2016, 07:49:25 PM »
I always believed, in both of those drafts, they should have tried to trade down and stockpile picks.

You couldn't be more right.

Drafting is a very inexact science. Studies have shown that teams with more picks have better drafts. Belichick and Thompson are well aware of it.

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #184 on: August 29, 2016, 10:51:38 PM »

Great post, interesting questions. Right now, all signs are pointing to 4-12.

If there is regression and White & Floyd show little, the heat will be on Pace. I can't see the Bears firing him, but his best move would be to cut Cutler and draft a QB high. For better or worse, tied his future to that QB pick. If anything, it gives Pace a bit more time. The question is would Fox be up for that? Or, if Pace went that route, would he keep Fox? Going to be interesting.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #185 on: August 29, 2016, 11:15:01 PM »
Great post, interesting questions. Right now, all signs are pointing to 4-12.

If there is regression and White & Floyd show little, the heat will be on Pace. I can't see the Bears firing him, but his best move would be to cut Cutler and draft a QB high. For better or worse, tied his future to that QB pick. If anything, it gives Pace a bit more time. The question is would Fox be up for that? Or, if Pace went that route, would he keep Fox? Going to be interesting.

You have a lot bigger problems than cutler. A porous defense and offensive line to start. Even if you do get a High rated QB, he better be able to move his feet cause he won't be getting any time. Wouldn't put him in a position to succeed.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #186 on: August 30, 2016, 02:16:34 PM »
That's tough for the Vikes, hate to see that.

It'll never ever happen, probably dumb to even mention it, but a Cutler trade to the Vikes would make so much sense if they weren't in the same division, and if the Bears had a capable back up.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #187 on: August 30, 2016, 02:20:50 PM »

It'll never ever happen, probably dumb to even mention it, but a Cutler trade to the Vikes would make so much sense if they weren't in the same division, and if the Bears had a capable back up.

Looks like Denver trading partners just went up and the Sanchez market just got real hot
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #188 on: August 30, 2016, 02:21:28 PM »
Colin 2 Consensus, heyna??
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #189 on: August 30, 2016, 02:30:10 PM »
Looks like Denver trading partners just went up and the Sanchez market just got real hot

I don't think anyone wants Sanchez at the current price. Sanchez at $5 mil is meh, I'd argue you can roll the dice on Shaun Hill at that price. If the Broncos release him, I think the market would be more willing to engage. I don't think Sanchez fits though.

Vikes are in a real tough spot obviously, but they're contenders in the NFC, new stadium opening, benefit of a young offense having a full offseason with their coaching staff. Kaepernick probably makes the most sense here.

Hope Teddy is ok, you don't often hear of ambulances sprinting to a facility for a torn ligament.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #190 on: August 30, 2016, 02:38:04 PM »

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #191 on: August 30, 2016, 02:38:41 PM »
Is Colin's bigger beef with America and the West in general, driven mostly by his new religion?

MUBBau

• Team Captain
« Reply #192 on: August 30, 2016, 02:41:48 PM »

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #193 on: August 30, 2016, 02:51:09 PM »
the packers 3rd string QB, callahan has shown a lot of "moxey" Hein"a?  i sure do hope they can keep him real close.  can some team claim him off of the practice squad?  can the pack protect him short of putting him on their regular roster?  you have to give a lot of credit to the packers scouts for finding him
don't...don't don't don't don't

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #194 on: August 30, 2016, 02:51:34 PM »
So much easier for Vikings fans to know the result of the season ahead of time.  Frees up a lot of hours on Sundays.

(Admittedly, the last 55 seasons were an indicator..)

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #195 on: August 30, 2016, 02:51:51 PM »

That's the worst idea i've ever heard, no way the Vikes do this!

*thinks about the Shaun Hill era in Minnesota*

Crap, it actually makes sense

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #196 on: August 30, 2016, 02:55:14 PM »
Peyton

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #197 on: August 30, 2016, 02:59:58 PM »
There are a lot of quarterbacks out there that can do what Teddy does.  Just like Fox did with Cutler last year, the Vikings have always kept the ball out of Teddy's hands.  Take the snap and hand it to the child beater behind you and you're just fine.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

brandx

« Reply #198 on: August 30, 2016, 03:04:09 PM »

I'd take Ponder back before Sanchez. Or maybe Tebow.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #199 on: August 30, 2016, 03:06:08 PM »
Didn't read how it happened, but how does a QB get injured like that in practice?

feedback