collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Minn Kota vs. MotorGuide  (Read 1355 times)

Benny B

• All American
Minn Kota vs. MotorGuide
« on: June 01, 2017, 09:26:54 AM »
My kids are - surprisingly - really getting excited about fishing, so I'm thinking about taking them to the next level by perhaps picking up a small fishing boat for the summer.  Unfortunately, that means I won't get to do much fishing between constantly steering, baiting their hooks (and taking the fish off), keeping them from pushing each other in, etc.  So I'm curious as to if anyone has used a GPS-enable trolling motor to alleviate the steering part, and if so, which brand and how you like it. 

Also, if anyone has any thoughts on iPilot Link (Minn Kota) vs. Pinpoint GPS (Motor Guide), particularly interfacing with a finder/plotter.  What I find particularly appealing is the ability to chart a path, set the autopilot, and let the computer drive me around the lake.

Any info would be helpful... unfortunately, for every "FishScoop" board on the interwebs that seems to favor one brand, there's one that leans towards the other, and I simply don't have the advanced knowledge necessary to cut through all the sponsorship bias and blind allegiances out there.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

real chili 83

• All American
Re: Minn Kota vs. MotorGuide
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2017, 12:41:15 PM »
I've heard great things about the compatibility of the Ipilot with other technology.  My neighbor has it.

Anchor feature is solid.  We fished the Mississippi  in the spring  off the Red Wing dam for walleyes, and held our jigging position very well.

I've also seen it used on Saltwater Experience where they were fishing tarpon under the bridges at Bahia Honda in the keys, and appeared to hold up well with the current coming through the channels under the bridge.

From what I've heard, the Ipilot is a bit pricey.

SaintPaulWarrior

• All American
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2017, 05:29:48 PM »
I am looking at buying a new fishing boat in the very near future.  I have only owned ski boats so this purchase is taking on more research than I expected.  At the same time, I have been looking at the trolling motors and fish finders/locators.

Minn Kota only works with Humminbird because they are owned by the same company.  MotorGuide only works with Lowrance.  You have to make sure your locator is compatible with your specific motor. 

The only MotorGuide that you can control with the features you mention is the XI5.  At first impression it will look like the XI5 is about $5-600 cheaper than the Minn Kota Terrova I-Pilot Link.  With MotorGuide you have to add an NMEA cable for $250 and then you have to pay something for some pinpoint software or something.  After that, the MotorGuide is only about $150 less in price.

Minn Kota's come with I-Pilot or I-Pilot Link.  Obviously, the I-Pilot is cheaper than the Link.  Minn Kota, you get the I-Pilot or I-Pilot link with the Terrova (cheapest), Ulterra, and the Ultrex.  You can get the PoweDrive with just I-Pilot and not the Link.  This one does not come with a foot pedal control, just a hand remote.

The link lets you control your motor from your fish finder/locator instead of just the foot pedal or hand remote.  It also comes with a remote to control your trolling motor whether your get I-Pilot or Link.  The MotorGuide XI5 comes with a wireless foot pedal so you can put it anywhere on the boat.  Its remote is a basic remote where the Minn Kota has an LCD Screen remote.

The Lowrance/XI5 you can use a touchscreen on the actual fishfinder to control your motor.  The Humminbird/I-Pilot is not a touch screen unless you go up to a 12'' screen which runs in the $2K-$3K range.  So you have to use the buttons.

That is everything I can think of off the top of my head.  There are more features and differences between them.

MotorGuide is made by Mercury which is owned by Brunswick.  Minn Kota is owned by Johnson Outdoors which also owns Humminbird fish finders, Lund, and Crestliner boats.  For me, I am leaning towards Minn Kota because they are located here in Minnesota and they have service centers all around where I live.  MotorGuide is a little tougher to get serviced but not impossible, just have to drive about 40-50 miles to a service dealer.

There is a website with forums  www.walleyecentral.com   You can go on the forums and go to the electronics page and read about other people's experiences.  FYI, the people that buy them swear by the brand they bought.

If you go with Minn Kota make sure you get the latest model/2017.  It will be a Bluetooth model.  There have been many complaints about the previous I-Pilot version that could not keep a spot lock/anchor position at all.  There were/are a lot of very angry owners.  The newest version is night and day compared to last year's version.

EDIT:  LCD Screen on the I-Pilot remote not and LED remote.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2017, 09:23:16 AM by SaintPaulWarrior »

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2017, 07:48:18 PM »
So when are we going fishing????? 

http://www.tc.umn.edu/~vanes002/walleye/

SaintPaulWarrior

• All American
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2017, 08:57:25 AM »
So when are we going fishing????? 

I have to sell a boat before I can buy a new boat.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2017, 11:30:47 AM »
Details, details, details

feedback