collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Home Automation  (Read 2905 times)

Benny B

• All American
Home Automation
« on: November 10, 2016, 03:06:36 PM »
For anyone out there who has (or considered) any of the smart home devices, I'm interested in what system or hub people are using, e.g. Insteon, HomeKit, Samsung, Wink, Caseta, etc. and what are the biggest pros and cons they've experienced.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
Re: Home Automation
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2016, 03:57:19 PM »
Oh, that home automation.

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2016, 04:10:00 PM »
I have Nest right now and love that. It's great that it learns your patterns and you can control things with your phone. Plus, it can be a hub for so much more. Will soon be adding Google Home. I have a coworker who has already added some of the light bulbs plus the door locks. He loves it since he can remotely let his cleaning lady and dog walkers in. I also like that Next has a good amount of partners that you can work with cross platform.
But I like to throw handfuls...

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2016, 04:48:54 PM »
My cousin has a Nest t-stat but nothing else.  I should probably clarifiy intentions/goals... originally I was looking for something just to control the lights and shades in my sunroom living room home theater MU (away) game-watching room.  The projector screen has an IR motor that already interfaces interfaces with with my Harmony remote/hub, but unfortunately, it doesn't look like the Harmony hub is very useful at controlling non-IR devices directly.  Fortunately, the Harmony hub interfaces with most of the other major automation system hubs, so I could go with the Lutron Caseta in just the game room, but my guess is that once I get going on the smart home thing, I'm going to want to integrate everything I possibly can.  So I'd like a controller with a wide range of function (including relays) that's not a bare bones system like Arduino.  Last thing I want to do is buy an Insteon, only to realize I need Nest for something else, only to realize I need a Smart Things for something else.

On my idea list for integration:
Lights/shades
HVAC
Security and life safety monitoring
Garage door/door locks
Drip irrigation (outdoor)

IFTT and geofencing would be nice, but they're things I could do without.  Probably won't go as far as cameras with security, but thinking about window, door and motion sensors.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2016, 05:42:16 PM »
I've got a smart things hub, integrated with some Lightify lights (?), Cree lights (zigbee), random z-wave motion sensors, a GE z-wave switch, a couple z-wave remote controls, and a few other things I'm probably forgetting. 

Smart things is nice because it basically works with all competing technologies.  I also have it integrated with an echo dot, so at least I can control the lights with my voice.  It's cool.  Highly recommend the smart things hub regardless of all the other components you select.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2016, 07:28:36 PM »
All should start with your bed, aiiiina?
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Marquette Fan in WI

• Starter
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2016, 10:08:29 PM »
I'd check here, I usually like their reviews.
http://thewirecutter.com/?s=home+automation

I listen to a weekly podcast on security and the host says at this point these devices can't be trusted and if you must put them in your home put them on a separate network.

Babybluejeansfan

• Walk-On
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2016, 12:18:50 PM »

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2016, 03:10:31 PM »
I don't deny *some* devices have bad security.  Personally I stay away from devices that use wifi, instead choosing zigbee and z-wave devices.  These kind of devices generally can only "paired" with physical access to the device.  Not that they're infallible, but more difficult to do any malware with.

Second, I would never put a camera, or other broadcasting device in my home.  I stick with sensors, power switches, and light bulbs.  I someone figures out how to hack my lights, I'm not too worried.

As for the hub, it's hardwired (no wifi), and Samsung (despite devices exploding and blowing apart) has very good security, and regularly updates the hub.

Again, there's a lot of doomsday over "IoT" security, but if you play smartly, then there's not much worry.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2016, 04:44:31 PM »
Dishwasher- my wife and I take turns
Home Secuirity- my two dogs
Irrigation- hose with a sprinkler
Lights- do one of those clapper gizmos count

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2016, 06:36:44 PM »
Niner, don't ya ever use da internets one time, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2016, 08:54:09 PM »
Ugh.  All of my switch boxes are 2-wire (no neutral), and only Lutron makes a 2-wire dimmer.  So after buying an Insteon kit on Friday (and returning it later that night), I bought a Lutron kit, which will be returned soon because I then bought a ST Kit at Costco this afternoon.

Zwave/zinger it is.  Enough compatible switches and relays out there to do everything I need.

And I agree, no cameras in the house. Maybe the outside cam at some point... then I can finally figure out whose dog keeps taking a dump in my lawn (probably the dork who flies the UW flag a couple houses down).

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2016, 09:02:13 PM »
Which also means I'm running neutrals to my switch boxes. Oh well... thank God for Chicago-area electrical code (i.e. conduit).

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2016, 04:20:03 PM »
Benny - bummer for the electrical.  That's a hassle.

It sounds like you've already got a smartthings hub, but for others, it's on sale at Amazon today for $50 - half price.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B010NZV0GE

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2016, 11:21:31 PM »
Fortunately, I had a dead traveler in the box that I was able to trace to another switch box that did have a neutral, so I just repurposed the traveler, which - coincidentally - was already white (the electrician who wired my house originally must have been colorblind or never heard of NEC... I found a couple circuits with line on green, one with neutral on red, one that started out purple at the panel and was orange by the first receptacle).  Fortunately, the other switch boxes I'm planning on changing either already have a neutral, or are a straight shot via conduit from the basement.

Just saw the Amazon deal, but for $149, I got the hub, two multi-sensors, two motion sensors and a water sensor from Costco... so I nearly got the hub for free any way.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2016, 12:06:16 PM »
Following this topic closely.

Have a Nest thermostat and love it, will be adding the smoke/CO detectors soon. Giving a hard look at Phillips Hue lighting and very intrigued by Google Home. Curious as to how well they all interface and what else I can expand into in future years.

Anyone know of a drawing which shows the integration and architecture of the various options for home automation?
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2016, 12:13:51 PM »
I've got a smart things hub, integrated with some Lightify lights (?), Cree lights (zigbee), random z-wave motion sensors, a GE z-wave switch, a couple z-wave remote controls, and a few other things I'm probably forgetting. 

Smart things is nice because it basically works with all competing technologies.  I also have it integrated with an echo dot, so at least I can control the lights with my voice.  It's cool.  Highly recommend the smart things hub regardless of all the other components you select.

Rocky, what/how does Smartthings do things better than something like Google Home or Amazon Alexa?
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2016, 07:23:45 PM »
Rocky, what/how does Smartthings do things better than something like Google Home or Amazon Alexa?

Put simply, the echo can only control *some* wifi (technically, tcp/ip)devices.  If you use anything else like zigbee or z-wave devices  you have to have a hub of some sort (I think even hue requires a specific hub, but can't conform).  There are several "do anything" hubs these days, but I think smartthings has the best support of them all.  Thy don't just control smart things branded devices, they help integrate everything into a seamless system.

I'm not certain about google home, but I believe it is also missing the zigbee and z-wave radios.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2016, 09:51:25 PM »
Put simply, the echo can only control *some* wifi (technically, tcp/ip)devices.  If you use anything else like zigbee or z-wave devices  you have to have a hub of some sort (I think even hue requires a specific hub, but can't conform).  There are several "do anything" hubs these days, but I think smartthings has the best support of them all.  Thy don't just control smart things branded devices, they help integrate everything into a seamless system.

I'm not certain about google home, but I believe it is also missing the zigbee and z-wave radios.

Yes, Hue has a "bridge" included...so are you saying Smartthings acts as the bridge for any zigbee devices and then would interface with Google Home, etc?

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2016, 10:43:41 PM »
Yes, Hue has a "bridge" included...so are you saying Smartthings acts as the bridge for any zigbee devices and then would interface with Google Home, etc?

Yes, smartthings works with just about every other "smart" device out there, and you can generally throw their bridge away (or not buy it).  Unfortunately Hue is not one of those - apparently Philips is keeping their ecosystem locked down tight (just looked this up).  One reason I have stayed away from those.  But I do recommend Lightify stuff, and Cree - no extra bridge required.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2016, 10:45:27 PM by rocky_warrior »

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2016, 06:33:44 AM »
I heat GE makes a heck of a three way light switch.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2016, 08:04:02 AM »
Yes, smartthings works with just about every other "smart" device out there, and you can generally throw their bridge away (or not buy it).  Unfortunately Hue is not one of those - apparently Philips is keeping their ecosystem locked down tight (just looked this up).  One reason I have stayed away from those.  But I do recommend Lightify stuff, and Cree - no extra bridge required.

Now all that money I've spent on Scoop has totally paid off! Thanks for the info, I will redirect myself to Cree for my lighting needs :)

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2016, 08:13:52 AM »
Now all that money I've spent on Scoop has totally paid off! Thanks for the info, I will redirect myself to Cree for my lighting needs :)

Lightify for RGB, Cree Connected for dimmable white :)  Boom, I just saved you hundreds over Hue!

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2016, 08:51:56 AM »
Lightify for RGB, Cree Connected for dimmable white :)  Boom, I just saved you hundreds over Hue!

Which means I can double or triple my subscription to Scoop!

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2016, 10:17:36 AM »
Which means I can double or triple my subscription to Scoop!

Send some to RC so he can subscribe to kenpom.

feedback