collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Most Iconic Bar in Each State  (Read 11800 times)

Benny B

• All American
Most Iconic Bar in Each State
« on: April 15, 2015, 12:10:34 PM »
https://www.yahoo.com/food/the-most-iconic-bar-in-every-state-and-dc-116323911581.html

Can't say I fully agree with Wolski's, but certainly understand why it was selected.

Including Wolski's, I know that I've been to at least four of these places (Noodle-Indy, Million$-Jackson, Mill-Chicago)... might have been to LaFitte's in New Orleans on a pub crawl, but can't be sure... I don't remember much after karaoke at the Cat's Meow.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

jsglow

• All American
Re: Most Iconic Bar in Each State
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2015, 12:30:26 PM »
Wolski's stickers are everywhere including at Le Select in Gustavia, Saint Barthelemy.  Chick added Real Chili to their famous collection.  The locals loved hearing about the tie to Marquette, an obvious personal hero to the French.

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2015, 12:35:29 PM »
Many moons ago  I recall Esquire did a great article on the Dew Drop Ins of America. The various spellings and the dive factor made it a memorable journalistic journey into Americana. I occasionally see the name on bars in my travels.

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2015, 01:27:21 PM »
Usually I disagree with these types of bar lists, but I thought Wolski's was a good choice for the most "iconic" bar in WI.  What else would you pick?

Badgerhater

• All American
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2015, 01:37:10 PM »
Usually I disagree with these types of bar lists, but I thought Wolski's was a good choice for the most "iconic" bar in WI.  What else would you pick?

People should have no problem's with Wolski's.  A horrid alternative would have been the craphole on State Street in Madison that serves exceptionally bad brats.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2015, 02:14:53 PM »
Just off the top of my head I would prefer Nelsen's Hall Bitters Pub on Washington Island.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2015, 02:24:09 PM »
Off topic, but does anyone remember the name of the bar that opened in the 80's, on around highway 100 and Layton. It had a semi truck cab coming through the wall  It was a hot spot for a while, had to wait in line to enter, and then it just went away.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2015, 02:38:35 PM »
Just off the top of my head I would prefer Nelsen's Hall Bitters Pub on Washington Island.

That one comes to mind.  Main Exchange in Fond du Lac, Showboat in Wisconsin Dells, one in LaCrosse I can't remember the name of, also come to mind.  I'm sure there has to be at least 2-3 additional worthy candidates in the northwoods somewhere.

I suppose it depends on how you define "Most Iconic Bar in Every State" as iconic for the state, iconic for that area/region or just plain iconic.  Don't get me wrong, Wolski's is a great choice, I just think there are more iconic bars in Wisconsin.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Anti-Dentite

• All American
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2015, 02:40:41 PM »
Off topic, but does anyone remember the name of the bar that opened in the 80's, on around highway 100 and Layton. It had a semi truck cab coming through the wall  It was a hot spot for a while, had to wait in line to enter, and then it just went away.

I think you're referring to Billy's Old Mill which was on 76th and Coldspring. Craig's was on Hwy. 100 and Layton. Spent a lot of time at both being the 'Stallis boy I was.
You know the difference between a dentist and a sadist, don't you? Newer magazines.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2015, 02:41:27 PM »
That one comes to mind.  Main Exchange in Fond du Lac, Showboat in Wisconsin Dells, one in LaCrosse I can't remember the name of, also come to mind.  I'm sure there has to be at least 2-3 additional worthy candidates in the northwoods somewhere.

I suppose it depends on how you define "Most Iconic Bar in Every State" as iconic for the state, iconic for that area/region or just plain iconic.  Don't get me wrong, Wolski's is a great choice, I just think there are more iconic bars in Wisconsin.

See, I have never heard of the Main Exchange, and I wouldn't call the Showboat the most iconic in the Dells.  (Monk's would be my choice.)

The problem with Wisconsin is that there are so damn many.

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2015, 02:54:17 PM »
I think you're referring to Billy's Old Mill which was on 76th and Coldspring. Craig's was on Hwy. 100 and Layton. Spent a lot of time at both being the 'Stallis boy I was.
I immediately thought of Billy's Old Mill as well.

Came across this article:

https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1499&dat=19831014&id=Z-AjAAAAIBAJ&sjid=FSoEAAAAIBAJ&pg=7000,2396255&hl=en

Ludum habemus.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2015, 02:58:17 PM »

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2015, 03:02:44 PM »

Is that where the Best Buy is now?

No, the Best Buy is a bit further south on 76th (the other side of 894)
Ludum habemus.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2015, 03:11:26 PM »

Is that where the Best Buy is now?

There is a grocery store and other strip mall type retail spaces where old mill was....north of cold spring
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2015, 03:14:21 PM »
There is a grocery store and other strip mall type retail spaces where old mill was....north of cold spring

Oh OK...now I know where you are talking about. 

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2015, 03:23:00 PM »
Billy's Old Mill was at the Spring Mall where P&S was before building across the street(I live just blocks from here). Craig('s) sold out to Walgreens for $3mm and built Bushy's in Muskego.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2015, 04:13:28 PM »
Billy's Old Mill was at the Spring Mall where P&S was before building across the street(I live just blocks from here). Craig('s) sold out to Walgreens for $3mm and built Bushy's in Muskego.

OHHHH, so that's where Bushy's originated....huh very interesting how interconnected some of these places are.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Skitch

• All American
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2015, 02:37:45 AM »

Was that the same place that Sneakers was in?

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2015, 08:53:01 AM »
Was that the same place that Sneakers was in?

Yes, and at something else at the end, kind of a Wild Bill thing but I forgot what that was called

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2015, 11:10:30 AM »

See, I have never heard of the Main Exchange, and I wouldn't call the Showboat the most iconic in the Dells.  (Monk's would be my choice.)

The problem with Wisconsin is that there are so damn many.

Monks was fine before they commercialized it, but the Showboat is still the same building, inside and out, that it was a century ago when the Dells was a tourist destination strictly for its riverboat tours.  Maybe I'm equating iconic with historic a bit too much, but if the place looks completely different than it did even 20-30 years ago, just how iconic can you be (unless your state has only been around 60 years)?

Main Exchange and Showboat do have one thing in common that a lot of these others do (or may) not... they were both speakeasies at one point in history, and I think that's a prerequisite for any bar in Wisconsin to be considered "most iconic in the state."  After all, how can you be iconic in Wisconsin if you shut down your taps for a few years because the feds told you so.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2015, 12:07:46 PM »
The 5 Point Cafe or, "The Five," is a great diner but hardly Seattle's most iconic bar. I am a loyal patron of The Five but I wouldn't go there to do my drinking. I would say it is a gem of a spoon and well worth a visit.

Death on call

Skitch

• All American
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2015, 02:24:01 PM »
Yes, and at something else at the end, kind of a Wild Bill thing but I forgot what that was called

I was a bouncer at Sneakers during the 95-96 school year. That place was insane. We were owned by some corporation no one knew. 95% of the employees stole more than they earned. Once  my payroll check bounced. One day we got to work and were told it was our last night, the managers were just as blindsided as we were and allowed us to take "parting gifts". I got a nice Jack Daniels leather bomber jacket that I sold to some guy from Stallis for $200 and a case of goldschlager.  I never got my final paycheck but was just happy to be done since it was like 3 weeks to graduation anyway. 

They reopened as Jack Jammer's Adventure Bar and Grill but it didn't last long. I was invited to come interview for a job bouncing but by that time I was over working in a bar until 4 am.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2015, 02:53:37 PM »
OHHHH, so that's where Bushy's originated....huh very interesting how interconnected some of these places are.

actually, "bushy"-wayne bushberger ran the talk of the town back in the 80's on 22nd wells-the old dimeola's.  i managed it for him while i was finishing up school.  he then escaped out to tess corners after grandma dimeola passed and the bldg was torn down.  wow-lots of memories

on the other topic-now that hegarty's(also tended bar here) is gone, is the safe house still downtown?
don't...don't don't don't don't

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2015, 03:10:08 PM »
yeah the Safe House is still going

feedback