'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Back in the locker room...  (Read 9994 times)

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
Back in the locker room...
« on: March 15, 2019, 11:44:49 PM »
https://twitter.com/nicoleauerbach/status/1106774280560353280?s=21

MU not making players available and ignoring the mandatory open locker room.

https://twitter.com/mattnorlander/status/1106775141562961921?s=21

MU also voicing their displeasure with the Big East officials. Big East keeping media out of earshot.

tower912

• All American
Re: Back in the locker room...
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2019, 11:45:26 PM »
Probably wise.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2019, 11:46:11 PM »
File a formal protest. They got absolutely screwed
No Finish Line

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2019, 11:47:36 PM »
"Was I good? I bit my tongue. I bit my tongue"
-Wojo

"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2019, 11:48:28 PM »
Say your peace, move on, and live to fight another day. The next game is 100 times more important.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2019, 11:49:50 PM »
Yes! Yes! I demand a recount!
And that formal protest will give us the win and we’ll be playing for the ship tomorrow night? Hell yeah!!
Saturday night at the Garden! When is tip?

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2019, 11:49:59 PM »
"You watch the game? So many unusual things happened. It was the most unusual basketball game I've ever been a part of. I feel bad for my kids."
-Wojo
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2019, 11:50:28 PM »
It won’t change the outcome of this game, but those officials should be suspended.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2019, 11:50:47 PM »
In the grand scheme of things did Marquette need this win? No. The seed line probably barely changes for them. What this did do however is bring to the forefront a problem that has plagued the big east all year. And I am very thankful for that.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2019, 11:51:39 PM »
And that formal protest will give us the win and we’ll be playing for the ship tomorrow night? Hell yeah!!

Really not the point. Wojo and team need to move on, but the administration should do anything and everything to make sure those refs can't put food on the table via a Big East paycheck

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2019, 11:51:46 PM »
Call me prurient, but I wish Wojo would have given an epic press conference.

I know that wouldn't have helped matters, but without him saying anything, there's a galactic amount of unexpressed outrage.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2019, 11:52:12 PM »
"You watch the game? So many unusual things happened. It was the most unusual basketball game I've ever been a part of. I feel bad for my kids."
-Wojo

I agree with his sentiment there. Forget all the crap towards the end, even the end of the first half was bizarre.

Theo gets called for a foul, while standing straight up, AFTER THE CLOCK READ 0.0. They even went to the monitor to confirm, and somehow still missed the foul being called AFTER 0.0.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2019, 11:52:41 PM »
Willard thought the officials did a good job.  Lol

warriorfred

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2019, 11:53:44 PM »

I know that wouldn't have helped matters, but without him saying anything, there's a galactic amount of unexpressed outrage.

I am with you on this one.  I also kind of wish Marquette would pull an Al and say "no" to next year's BET.

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2019, 11:54:21 PM »
No. Missed the point.
No Finish Line

warriorgnp

• Walk-On
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2019, 11:55:39 PM »
Wojo and team need to move on...but Broeker, Scholl, et al: not so much.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2019, 11:57:24 PM »
I agree with his sentiment there. Forget all the crap towards the end, even the end of the first half was bizarre.

Theo gets called for a foul, while standing straight up, AFTER THE CLOCK READ 0.0. They even went to the monitor to confirm, and somehow still missed the foul being called AFTER 0.0.

Watch it in real time. The foul was called. And it was indeed a foul.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2019, 11:58:07 PM »

Of course, they ignored a first half flagrant on Powell & took away our defense.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2019, 11:59:47 PM »

Willard likely thought Powell showed resiliency in the face of adversity and applauds Mamu for standing up for his teammate. Cause he’s every bit the douchebag he instills in his teams.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2019, 11:59:57 PM »

Not going into the NCAA tournament, not worth it. Refs cover for other refs. No need to make a spectacle out of it and get robbed again next week.

RideMyBuycks

• All American
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2019, 12:00:45 AM »
Watch it in real time. The foul was called. And it was indeed a foul.

Don’t matter if it was signaled at 0.0 (which it was)

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2019, 12:00:48 AM »

Don't forget Anim going in for a dunk and his arm bashed, no call....how is that missed.  Just terrible all the way around.

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2019, 12:01:36 AM »
No. Missed the point.
My guess is their are a lot more legal (monetary) ramifications for foregoing the big east tourney than during Als time.

muhoops1

• All American
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2019, 12:02:08 AM »
https://twitter.com/nicoleauerbach/status/1106774280560353280?s=21

MU not making players available and ignoring the mandatory open locker room.

https://twitter.com/mattnorlander/statu
s/1106775141562961921?s=21

MU curled in the fetal position collectively because they couldn’t execute or perform.  Refs sucked all the way around.  unnatural carnal knowledge Wojo for creating a culture of whiners.  Watched Nova assert itself.  Watched MU crap itself

MU also voicing their displeasure with the Big East officials. Big East keeping media out of earshot.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2019, 12:08:40 AM »
hoops1, take a lap.

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2019, 12:08:50 AM »
I just want an official explaination of why Powell was allowed to return to the game after instigating a fight?

marquette09

• All American
« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2019, 12:11:44 AM »
I think the real question is how did James breeding and Tim clougherty grade out as conference semi final worthy officials?

A crew of retired legends Jim burr, Tim Higgins and Ed Hightower would have been better choices.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2019, 12:12:30 AM »
hoops1, take a lap.

I hope he’s drunk

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2019, 12:14:30 AM »
I just want an official explaination of why Powell was allowed to return to the game after instigating a fight?

I believe it is a judgement call by the refs on if it was a "fight". By definition it was, and because it was a "fight" Powell should have been ejected.

They deemed it not a fight. Because of that he was allowed to continue in the game.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2019, 12:15:44 AM »
I believe it is a judgement call by the refs on if it was a "fight". By definition it was, and because it was a "fight" Powell should have been ejected.

They deemed it not a fight. Because of that he was allowed to continue in the game.

Pretty sure he returned because he was assigned a flagrant (first half against sacar) and then a technical (for getting in Theo's face). 2 technicals is an election. Flagrant + technical is not an ejection.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #30 on: March 16, 2019, 12:16:28 AM »
Pretty sure he returned because he was assigned a flagrant (first half against sacar) and then a technical (for getting in Theo's face). 2 technicals is an election. Flagrant + technical is not an ejection.

I smell another rule change as the result of a Marquette game.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #31 on: March 16, 2019, 12:16:36 AM »
Really not the point. Wojo and team need to move on, but the administration should do anything and everything to make sure those refs can't put food on the table via a Big East paycheck
Cool—let me know how the letter writing campaign works out. Are we also contacting local officials about the placement railroad arms instead of railroad crossing signs?
I agree it is an mportant that those who n power hear our cry.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #32 on: March 16, 2019, 12:22:05 AM »

I agree there. My comment was specifically in regards to if it was deemed a "fight". There are special rules in place then.

Art. 1. A fight is a flagrant 2 foul

Art. 2. A fight is a confrontation involving one or more players, coaches or other team personnel wherein (but not limited to) a fist, hand, arm, foot, knee or leg is used to combatively strike the other individual

Art. 4. When, during a confrontation, an individual uses unsportsmanlike acts or comments which, in the opinion of the official, provoke the other individual to retaliate by fighting, it shall be ruled that both individuals have been involved in the fight

Based on Mamu shoving Theo, and multiple players being involved, it could constitute a fight. Since it was initiated by unsportsmanlike acts/comments by Powell, he was an individual involved in the fight. As such, according to Art. 1 he should have been assessed a Flagrant 2, or since it was a dead ball more specifically a Flagrant 2 Technical foul.

NorthernDancerColt

• All American
« Reply #33 on: March 16, 2019, 12:29:16 AM »
Say your peace, move on, and live to fight another day. The next game is 100 times more important.

I’m absolutely loving this. These guys have real reason to feel slighted going into the games that truly matter. Also, to essentially have two road games in a tournament setting going into the games that count.  There should not be a more motivated team in D1 after tonight’s travesty.

Look the hell out!
Zenyatta has a lot....a lot... of ground to make up. She gets there from here she’d be a super horse......what’s this.....Zenyatta hooked to the grandstand side....Zenyatta flying on the outside....this....is...un-belieeeeeevable!...looked impossible at the top of the stretch...

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #34 on: March 16, 2019, 12:33:07 AM »

He should have been gone long before that…like when he threw an elbow into Sacar’s chest in the first half. That’s a textbook Flagrant 2.

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #35 on: March 16, 2019, 12:33:38 AM »
I agree there. My comment was specifically in regards to if it was deemed a "fight". There are special rules in place then.

Art. 1. A fight is a flagrant 2 foul

Art. 2. A fight is a confrontation involving one or more players, coaches or other team personnel wherein (but not limited to) a fist, hand, arm, foot, knee or leg is used to combatively strike the other individual

Art. 4. When, during a confrontation, an individual uses unsportsmanlike acts or comments which, in the opinion of the official, provoke the other individual to retaliate by fighting, it shall be ruled that both individuals have been involved in the fight

Based on Mamu shoving Theo, and multiple players being involved, it could constitute a fight. Since it was initiated by unsportsmanlike acts/comments by Powell, he was an individual involved in the fight. As such, according to Art. 1 he should have been assessed a Flagrant 2, or since it was a dead ball more specifically a Flagrant 2 Technical foul.

So Theo should have escalated the situation so it would clearly be considered a fight since he was ejected anyway.

TJ

• All American
« Reply #36 on: March 16, 2019, 01:05:23 AM »
Don't forget Anim going in for a dunk and his arm bashed, no call....how is that missed.  Just terrible all the way around.
that was bad

TJ

• All American
« Reply #37 on: March 16, 2019, 01:07:37 AM »
I think the real question is how did James breeding and Tim clougherty grade out as conference semi final worthy officials?

A crew of retired legends Jim burr, Tim Higgins and Ed Hightower would have been better choices.
Ed Hochuli would have been a better choice.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2019, 01:09:39 AM by TJ »

Earl Tatum

• All American
« Reply #38 on: March 16, 2019, 08:21:47 AM »
We Got Fu--ed over

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #39 on: March 16, 2019, 08:44:46 AM »

Not going into the NCAA tournament, not worth it. Refs cover for other refs. No need to make a spectacle out of it and get robbed again next week.

This is silly.  When justified no one is ‘coming after you’.  Wojo is the star — not these guys. 

I’m with you Hilltopper.  That was the time to go Boheim+Knight+Calhoun as Dodd’s says in a blender. 

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #40 on: March 16, 2019, 09:31:41 AM »

There would not have been a presser with Al either. If two of  Al's guys got ejected and only one of theirs and not the guy that instigated the whole thing Al would have slugged everyone of those zebras and been ejected as well. Wojo went into his safe space.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #41 on: March 16, 2019, 09:52:22 AM »
This is silly.  When justified no one is ‘coming after you’.  Wojo is the star — not these guys. 

I’m with you Hilltopper.  That was the time to go Boheim+Knight+Calhoun as Dodd’s says in a blender.

I’d argue what you just said was silly.  You used three coaches, all Hall of Famers, all with national titles....Wojo doesn’t have the chops yet for that.  Doesn’t have the cred, he will get there hopefully, but the comparisons aren’t there.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #42 on: March 16, 2019, 10:10:13 AM »
There would not have been a presser with Al either. If two of  Al's guys got ejected and only one of theirs and not the guy that instigated the whole thing Al would have slugged everyone of those zebras and been ejected as well. Wojo went into his safe space.

Al would have gotten ejected last night. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #43 on: March 16, 2019, 10:14:46 AM »
Al would have gotten ejected last night.

Other than grabbing Breeding’s whistle and blowing it himself, I don’t know what else Wojo could have done to get T’ed up for what he was screaming at the end of the first half.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #44 on: March 16, 2019, 10:15:57 AM »
-Wojo

Show them the game tape at dinner the night before the NCAA tourney. That will fire everyone up. Nothing like playing with a chip on your shoulder. Buzz loved that position. I think this result will help up next week.

warriorfred

• All American
« Reply #45 on: March 16, 2019, 10:16:25 AM »
Other than grabbing Breeding’s whistle and blowing it himself, I don’t know what else Wojo could have done to get T’ed up for what he was screaming at the end of the first half.

I have to respect that about Al.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #46 on: March 16, 2019, 10:17:52 AM »
I doubt MU will do it, but they really should release a statement about last night. What an absolute unnatural carnal knowledgeing joke. Val ackerman should have to respond publically to this disgrace.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #47 on: March 16, 2019, 10:18:16 AM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8olTfKZnFiM

This would have gotten him T'd.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #48 on: March 16, 2019, 10:19:20 AM »
Forget getting tossed, Al woulda walked Marquette off the floor in the middle of the game. Al was one of a kind, can't compare Wojo or any other coach to him.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #49 on: March 16, 2019, 10:20:09 AM »
I have to respect that about Al.

True.  But, he also blew a national championship with his technicals. He was great when he strategically got technicals.  He hurt the team badly when they were emotionally-driven.  Many were critical of him.

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #50 on: March 16, 2019, 10:22:44 AM »

Formal protest means nothing, it happens repeatedly at their tournament.  I  mean their tournament.  Save your money, go to the NCAA tournament next year.  I live in N.J. and would not go to the BE tournament if you paid me.  Let Villanova and SH or SJU have their fun, or the Amtrack fans from Washington or Providence.

warriorfred

• All American
« Reply #51 on: March 16, 2019, 10:25:00 AM »
True.  But, he also blew a national championship with his technicals. He was great when he strategically got technicals.  He hurt the team badly when they were emotionally-driven.  Many were critical of him.

Yes, but a Big East tournament semi-final is not the NCAA tournament.  Besides, Al was from New York and would have seen the "fix."

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #52 on: March 16, 2019, 10:28:16 AM »
Yes, but a Big East tournament semi-final is not the NCAA tournament.  Besides, Al was from New York and would have seen the "fix."

Did you ever wonder why he never went back to NY?

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #53 on: March 16, 2019, 12:11:29 PM »
I am with you on this one.  I also kind of wish Marquette would pull an Al and say "no" to next year's BET.

Plus one, why not, and we will be highly ranked.  New York will never respect Marquette until it stands up for itself.  Not unlike Green Bay and Vince standing up to the Giants back in my day.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #54 on: March 16, 2019, 01:31:11 PM »
Did you ever wonder why he never went back to NY?

Tell us?

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #55 on: March 16, 2019, 01:42:33 PM »
In the grand scheme of things did Marquette need this win? No. The seed line probably barely changes for them. What this did do however is bring to the forefront a problem that has plagued the big east all year. And I am very thankful for that.
Of course Marquette needed this win.  They needed it for a chance to win the Big East Tournament,

The NCAA tournament is not the only thing.  I've arrived at MU in 1979, so this is the 40th season I've been rooting for them.  In those 40 years, they've one two outright regular season titles, one shared conference regular season title, one conference tournament and one NCAA regional.  That's 5 things in 40 years.  We had great chances at a conference championship and a tournament championship and couldn't close the deal either time.  I want to celebrate them WINNING some sort of championship. 

And I know the Great Alaska Shootout is nice and all, but that is not what I am talking about.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

jutaw22mu

• All American
« Reply #56 on: March 16, 2019, 02:01:27 PM »
I sorta wish that after the Anim and John ejections, and the Powell return from the locker room, Steve would have taken the team off the court and back to the hotel.  At that point, the refs showed their hand...no way was MU winning that game....with 12 minutes of play left, not worth risking injury to any of the guys.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #57 on: March 16, 2019, 02:42:15 PM »

Al would have!

Al would have gone off like a nuclear bomb on a remote Pacific island. Both in the game and afterward at the presser. I imagine he would have responded to the Big East the way he did at the NCAA after the K-State game in 1977.

To other comments about Theo really blasting Powell, while that would have made most of us feel good, it probably would have led to his suspension for the first game of the NCAA. That's a million times more important than anything in the Big Least. The reality is the zebras have Theo's number and until he learns to properly channel his assertion, he's going to get fouls. There's likely a few NCAA zebras who are afraid of Theo and his strength.

As to the refs from last night, the commentators who talked about the game afterward really took after them. Lavin and his sidekick (forget his name) basically tore into them and said they were ashamed for the Big East after this one.

With all that, we had a chance to win and we blew it.

« Last Edit: March 16, 2019, 02:50:29 PM by dgies9156 »

fjm

• All American
« Reply #58 on: March 16, 2019, 04:14:55 PM »
Any new news on what came out of the locker room with BEast officials not allowing media into the MU locker room etc?

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #59 on: March 17, 2019, 01:52:32 PM »
As to the refs from last night, the commentators who talked about the game afterward really took after them. Lavin and his sidekick (forget his name) basically tore into them and said they were ashamed for the Big East after this one.

Donnie Marshall. 
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

feedback