Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Commitment is a 2 way street  (Read 9922 times)

Charley Farley

• Walk-On
Commitment is a 2 way street
« on: April 21, 2016, 10:08:37 PM »
I'm curious, why is it that it's fine in the minds of most for a player to go pro after one year when it is his best interest and the best interest of his family, but it is not ok to not renew the scholarship of a player when it is in the best interest of the coach and program.  Is commitment not a two way street?   

martyconlonontherun

• All American
Re: Commitment is a 2 way street
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2016, 10:51:42 PM »
I'm curious, why is it that it's fine in the minds of most for a player to go pro after one year when it is his best interest and the best interest of his family, but it is not ok to not renew the scholarship of a player when it is in the best interest of the coach and program.  Is commitment not a two way street?
1. I've been told that Henry has made it clear during recruitment he only planned to play one year.
2. Ellenson is about to get a 3 year guaranteed contract as a top 10 pick. Why isn't it in his best interest to go?
3. I hold a coach to a higher standard than a 19-year old.

Charley Farley

• Walk-On
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2016, 10:59:41 PM »
It is in his best interest to leave and I think he should.  My point is that Wojo also has to do what is in his best interest.  Every player should assume their scholarship is a year by year offer.  Perform or get out.  Welcome to life.  You want all the perks of being a big time college basketball player then you have to deal with the pressures also.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2016, 11:00:06 PM »
SO MUCH HAND WRINGING!

Get over it already

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2016, 11:12:05 PM »
It is in his best interest to leave and I think he should.  My point is that Wojo also has to do what is in his best interest.  Every player should assume their scholarship is a year by year offer.  Perform or get out.  Welcome to life.  You want all the perks of being a big time college basketball player then you have to deal with the pressures also.
Sorry misread it.
It all depends on setting expectations. If Wojo told Wally he was welcome on the team all three years and suddenly pulled the schollie, that's on Wojo. Wally as a player didn't change. Now if Wally refused to dedicate himself to basketball I could see Wojo's side.

RubyWiscy

• Team Captain
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2016, 11:14:33 PM »
3. I hold a coach to a higher standard than a 19-year old.

OK, I just don't buy the whole "poor 19-year old kid" thing. This entire arrangement was a business deal worked out by adults. Everyone knew knew exactly what they wanted and got it for two years. You can argue Wally was a pawn in the deal, but he hardly came off a loser.

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2016, 11:17:29 PM »
Who's next? Sandy?

niquejamesfan

• Walk-On
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2016, 11:41:40 PM »
Sandy next? Sandy should have been first

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2016, 12:34:13 AM »
When one side is being paid millions and the other is getting a free "education" I expect the side that is earning millions off these players to hold their end of the bargains. If a player is having a hard time or has a better opportunity elsewhere I believe it is well within their rights to seek it.

Now if we want to leave all this bullcrap about "a family" or "bettering these players" or "great opportunity of education" or any of the other dumb things coaches/ncaa say, then I'm all for the cuts. 

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2016, 12:38:48 AM »
When one side is being paid millions and the other is getting a free "education" I expect the side that is earning millions off these players to hold their end of the bargains. If a player is having a hard time or has a better opportunity elsewhere I believe it is well within their rights to seek it.

Now if we want to leave all this bullcrap about "a family" or "bettering these players" or "great opportunity of education" or any of the other dumb things coaches/ncaa say, then I'm all for the cuts.

Remember that the guy that is getting millions got to that position by starting off as one of those guys just getting a free education.  He used that free education to position himself for a lifelong career that is now getting him paid millions.

Many would kill to have the opportunity these gets get to have for free.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2016, 12:52:29 AM »

Wally did get a great opportunity for education. In fact, even after he was cut, Marquette still made sure he had a scholarship to continue his education. He also was bettered as a player. Just not bettered enough to be better than the 13 other players who want to be a part of our program.

And it is a family. Wojo has to think of the needs of all of his players. What is more important, giving a back of the rotation player a basketball scholarship and committing yourself to another year of rebuilding? Or give a back of the roation player a track scholarship and signing a player who can put your team back in the ncaa tournament? How is it fair to Luke and JJJ who have never been to an NCAA tournament and will never get another chance to handicap your team like that?

Wally doesn't deserve special treatment because his brother is an NBA star. Scholarships are earned, he didn't earn his. He tried his hardest, I believe that. But he's simply not a high major basketball player. Scholarship needs to go to another player.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2016, 01:02:55 AM »
Marquette basketball is a business. In that light the CEO is expected to be as competitive as possible.

But an interesting question is: If Henry stays for another year does Wojo cut Wally?

Therein lies the bottom line.

Personally, I think the whole Wally thing was a calculated, cynical move by Wojo.

Death on call

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2016, 05:31:17 AM »
Marquette basketball is a business. In that light the CEO is expected to be as competitive as possible.

But an interesting question is: If Henry stays for another year does Wojo cut Wally?

Therein lies the bottom line.

Personally, I think the whole Wally thing was a calculated, cynical move by Wojo.

That's a my gripe right now. Wally will come out of this fine, but he came here because he wanted to play basketball, and that's now no longer an option, not here or anywhere. I have a feeling there's no way that happens if Henry stays.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2016, 06:59:44 AM »
That's a my gripe right now. Wally will come out of this fine, but he came here because he wanted to play basketball, and that's now no longer an option, not here or anywhere. I have a feeling there's no way that happens if Henry stays.

In the other thread I posted Wally's stats at Minnesota.  Without Henry no way is he able to transfer to MU based on his play. 

It works both ways.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2016, 07:07:31 AM »

I wanted to play basketball in college too

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2016, 07:08:20 AM »
Of course Wally would still be on the team if Henry was.  But then again, we'd have 36 minutes of our #4 covered and his sitting at the end of the bench wouldn't be an issue.  That's definitely not the case today.

The real trade here is Wally for Reinhardt.  I'd be upset if Wally hadn't received a full track ride.  But he did and our basketball team is significantly better as a result.  Done.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2016, 07:11:46 AM »
Is it in the best interest of the program? I do not think so, because it hurts the program's and coach's reputation. I am assuming here, but I can see this hurting team unity. Assuming they bring someone else in, it is not likely to help much this season anyways. To me it is a short sighted decision. Personally, I think Wojo knowing he had four seniors should of concentrated on next year's class with an emphasis on players over 6'7".

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2016, 07:20:09 AM »
Of course Wally would still be on the team if Henry was.  But then again, we'd have 36 minutes of our #4 covered and his sitting at the end of the bench wouldn't be an issue.  That's definitely not the case today.

The real trade here is Wally for Reinhardt.  I'd be upset if Wally hadn't received a full track ride.  But he did and our basketball team is significantly better as a result.  Done.

This is 100% correct. I also have no doubt that this possibility was communicated to all parties depending on how Wally developed. If there wasn't an Ellenson connection this would simply be a recruiting miss (talent just wasn't there) and we would all move on with a collective shrug. The kid wanted to play at a very high level in two NCAA sports, that's extremely rare and it turns out he couldn't do both since he didn't develop adequately as a basketball player to justify his scholarship.

And for those talking about team chemistry....how's the chemistry work out if you keep Wally which may hamper the opportunity for guys like JjJ and Luke to make their first ever tournament as well as making them do all the work while Wally gets to skip out on stuff so he can try in a different sport with a different team?

I will freely admit the optics don't look great, and there might be some fall out but at the end of the day I'm comfortable with the move, the Ellensons get a lot out of all of this and Marquette will be a better basketball team next year and the following years.

#respecttheprocess
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Anti-Dentite

• All American
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2016, 08:10:47 AM »
This is 100% correct. I also have no doubt that this possibility was communicated to all parties depending on how Wally developed. If there wasn't an Ellenson connection this would simply be a recruiting miss (talent just wasn't there) and we would all move on with a collective shrug. The kid wanted to play at a very high level in two NCAA sports, that's extremely rare and it turns out he couldn't do both since he didn't develop adequately as a basketball player to justify his scholarship.

And for those talking about team chemistry....how's the chemistry work out if you keep Wally which may hamper the opportunity for guys like JjJ and Luke to make their first ever tournament as well as making them do all the work while Wally gets to skip out on stuff so he can try in a different sport with a different team?

I will freely admit the optics don't look great, and there might be some fall out but at the end of the day I'm comfortable with the move, the Ellensons get a lot out of all of this and Marquette will be a better basketball team next year and the following years.

#respecttheprocess
The optics don't look great because it's a chump move by Wojo. I'm reading all the rationalizations and they are all valid but bottom line is and anyone that is honest with themselves knows this is not cool. Wojo's ethics are now in question along with his coaching ability. The timetable on Wojo's hotseat was just moved to next season. This team better dance next year.
You know the difference between a dentist and a sadist, don't you? Newer magazines.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2016, 08:14:43 AM »
The optics don't look great because it's a chump move by Wojo. I'm reading all the rationalizations and they are all valid but bottom line is and anyone that is honest with themselves knows this is not cool. Wojo's ethics are now in question along with his coaching ability. The timetable on Wojo's hotseat was just moved to next season. This team better dance next year.

Why is is not cool? The Ellensons will have one kid graduate debt free with a college degree while having a good shot at the olympics and the other will be making millions in the NBA. Wally wasn't fully committed to the basketball program (perfectly understandable) but he also didn't have the talent that justified such an extravagance so we've moved on.

Wojo had to get to the dance next year anyway, now he's just given himself a shot to do so.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2016, 08:37:38 AM »

Again, the vast majority here are twisting themselves in knots defending MU. Just imagine the sh*tstorm here if UW had pulled this.
I think the big mistake is thinking Wojo is different from other coaches or MU is different from other schools.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2016, 08:41:03 AM »
SO MUCH HAND WRINGING!

Get over it already

I will reserve final judgement until all the facts come out, if they do.  But it certainly isn't hang wringing to say that an institution that I care about should hold itself to a standard higher than "only winning matters."  If Wojo even insinuated that Wally would have been allowed to stay on the team and still try for the Olympics, than Wally should be on the team.  If Sunday was the first time this issue came up, than Wally should still be on the team.

**I don't care if we need a power forward.  That's Wojo's fault for poor roster construction.

**I don't care if Wally still can go to school for free.  He came here to play basketball at Wojo's invitation.  If he just wanted to be a track athlete, he would have either stayed at Minnesota or gone somewhere else.

**I don't care if the Ellensons give Wojo a headache.  That's not Wally's fault.

I don't like the rationalizations.  I don't like the condescending attitude about Wally.  I want Marquette to be the institution *it claims* to be.  Now I will still root for them to win, but I think this is a black mark on both Wojo and the program IF this was a "cold, calculated move" as keefe puts it.

Smokin' Jae

• Team Captain
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2016, 08:42:26 AM »
There isn't a level of basketball beyond middle school where a player can't get cut, not sure why people think college should be any different.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2016, 08:44:29 AM »
Again, the vast majority here are twisting themselves in knots defending MU. Just imagine the sh*tstorm here if UW had pulled this.
I think the big mistake is thinking Wojo is different from other coaches or MU is different from other schools.

I don't think there is a single person on this board that thinks this is an awesome move, simply that it is a necessary evil and we can accept the negative blow back that comes with it. Other programs should criticize us....if they don't have any recruiting issues in their own closet *cough* Uthoff *cough*

Wojo is no different and he made a move that will probably be good for the program long term. If it's not then it's a black mark on his record, if he gets too many of those he gowne

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2016, 08:46:40 AM »

yep. as I've been saying for years, lets just call it what it is.

I don't understand why so may feel the need to contort their thinking because for some reason, they want/need to believe that Wojo isn't every bit the dirt bag as all the rest of these guys. He is. Its in the job description. That's the way the business works. I just don't get why people care. If you want to be a fan of college football/basketball you better be prepared to shower often. It has become a big money, cutthroat business, and Wojo/MU have done plenty to prove they are going to do what is necessary just like everybody else. The sooner you come to terms with that, the happier you'll be. Now, that may drive you away as it continues to for me, but my disappointment in this regard is not with MU as an institution because they are doing what's normal (they provide plenty of other reasons for disappointment), but rather with the sham system in which they operate that makes the behaviors normal.

If you dislike or think little of the likes of Pitino, Bo Ryan, Bob Huggins, Boeheim, Roy Williams, Buzz Williams...If you are being honest with yourself, you know darn well, you have every reason to feel the same about Wojo.  Its just the nature of the business.