Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: NCAA Admits to Wrong Call  (Read 9938 times)

nyg

• All American
NCAA Admits to Wrong Call
« on: March 22, 2011, 07:36:29 PM »
http://msn.foxsports.com/collegebasketball/story/NCAA-admits-to-wrong-call-in-Syracuse-Orange-tournament-loss-032211

Don't know if this was posted, but states refs were wrong in the backcourt violation.  Interesting.

SqueallyDRyan

• Starter
Re: NCAA Admits to Wrong Call
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2011, 07:38:45 PM »
I think that if the Syracuse player hadn't looked so awkward and hadn't tried so hard to stay on one side it would have been a no call
It's not the size of your Diener; its how you use it

Warriors10

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2011, 07:40:46 PM »
I guess this also rules out a travel.

KenoshaWarrior

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2011, 07:41:02 PM »
If that is called incorrect than the NCAA should investigate the O'Tule foul where Jackson pulled Otule on top of him.  Not even Bo teaches a flop that bad!!!

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2011, 07:54:33 PM »
I think that if the Syracuse player hadn't looked so awkward and hadn't tried so hard to stay on one side it would have been a no call

Yes...argued this from the beginning.  He made it look bad and the ref I think got a little mixed up.

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2011, 07:56:07 PM »
Well that sucks.  Kind of sullies the win a little.  Such is life.

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2011, 08:07:43 PM »

Don't see that it rules out a travel.  It was silent to that.  Said the call was incorrect.  If you read the rules that Pakuni posted, it was a travel.  Now, I am not sure when the whistle blew, and if it blew before the travel, then it would be an inadvertent whistle.

I agree with some other posts, though, why not comment on the other missed calls that could have impacted the game - such as the tackle on Otule or the swat by Melo on the ball out of the basket that should have been a T, or the phantom 3 second call on Otule. 

We always hear from the officials that if it is a violation or foul during the game, it is a violation or foul at the end.  Well, shouldn't the same hold true for a blown call then?

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2011, 08:17:35 PM »
Can we forfeit at this point and let Syracuse play UNC instead of us?  I think it's only right. 
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2011, 08:27:20 PM »
How about the missed technical in the first half, when Melo swatted the ball out of bounds. That would have been a hugh call. He would have been charged with another foul and we would have got two free throws. Besides that even if they did not call the over and back there is no guarantee Syracuse would of scored. The clock was already down to about 10 seconds.

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2011, 08:32:21 PM »
Meh, even without the call we get a stop and DJO plunges the dagger.
No Finish Line

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2011, 09:05:33 PM »

Don't tell Pakuni

timinatorx3

• Starter
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2011, 09:23:43 PM »
Meh, it happens. As if MU hasn't been on the wrong end of blown / missed calls? As previously noted look at the offensive foul call against Otule. Just because it happened earlier in the game doesn't mean it had less impact  on the ultimate outcome.  This doesn't sour the game one bit for me.

mufan924

• Starter
  • we are marquette
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2011, 09:26:46 PM »
funny i tried to post this yesterday, it disappeared!
"it's over...it's been over" -George Carlin

madtownwarrior

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2011, 09:32:11 PM »
great makeup call for the JAckson tackle of Otule and the missed technical on Fab Melo punching the ball...

were even...

Doris Burkes Thong

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2011, 09:35:55 PM »
Hey, UNC might as well have forfeited their game with Wash. and not show up to Newark. Washington should've had more time to get their shot off at the end of that game.

Ellenson Guerrero

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2011, 09:39:31 PM »
It was definitely a wrong call and I'm surprised a tourney official would miss that, but it doesn't sully the win at all. Calls like that go against both teams over the course of the game and it generally evens out. If you let something like this take away the satisfaction of a good win you don't get any better feeling when a bad call costs us a game.
"What we take for-granted, others pray for..." - Brent Williams 3/30/14

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2011, 09:44:33 PM »
Don't tell Pakuni

Ummm ... actually, it doesn't eliminate the travel. It actually proves the point. There should have been no over-and-back, as I said. Rather, play should have been allowed to continue. And, had play been allowed to continue, there was a travel. Jardine caught the ball and landed on his right foot. That becomes the pivot foot, per NCAA rules. He then landed on his left. He then picked up his right (aka pivot) foot. That's a travel. Marquette ball.
Don't believe me? Watch the video.

Nice try, though. Will you soon be calling for an asterisk on the game?

Oldgym

• All American
  • It was their final, most essential command
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2011, 09:50:18 PM »
Apparently nobody knows the rule.  If you watch Boeheim after the whistle, he's clearly not upset with the official.  Looks like he's pointing and telling one of his two players what he should have done.

shiloh26

• Starter
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2011, 10:22:47 PM »
Hey, UNC might as well have forfeited their game with Wash. and not show up to Newark. Washington should've had more time to get their shot off at the end of that game.

With all the boneheaded decisions made by players recently -- Venoy Overton's halfcourt underarm heave with 3 seconds left, Robinson's unbelievable foul, and John Henson's near goal tend of Isaiah Thomas' buzzerbeater (I understand it was only a 2 point shot anyway, but did Henson know that?) -- its actually kinda nice (normalizing?) to hear about the refs having a mistake.

Those close calls happen throughout the game and inevitably even out, as many of you have already pointed out.

SacWarrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2011, 10:30:38 PM »
The Syracuse fans weren't even upset. Jardine wasn't even overly upset. Boeheim didn't even argue the call.

Why is the NCAA even looking at this? There was no uproar, no outcry, nothing. There is absolutely no reason to do this other than give Orange fans an axe to grind.

Maybe the NCAA is trying to "do the right thing" after 3 pretty horrible weeks for the league.

timinatorx3

• Starter
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2011, 10:33:33 PM »
BTW, remember how Syracuse was going to ruin National Marquette Day?

SacWarrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2011, 10:43:10 PM »
I also want to add that the officiating in the Xavier game was God-awful with the vast majority of the BS hand-checks and ticky-tack calls going against Marquette, yet we still managed to blow them out of the water.

The calls in that game probably hurt Marquette more than the one supposedly blown call hurt Syracuse. Also Fab Melo should have been given a technical, we all know that. Why not release a statement about that?

El Duderino

• Team Captain
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2011, 12:35:59 AM »

The problem here is in slow motion replay, you can see that Jardine caught the ball while in the air and not with a foot on the ground first.

In real time, that wasn't clearly noticeable and that's why i also thought it was an over and back like the ref called.

Instant replay is great for fans and of course refs do sometimes blow calls which they were blatantly wrong on, but on many calls that refs get wrong like this one, in real time without slow motion it's much easier to see how they missed the call, especially when a player acts like he made a violation.

MARQKC

• Starter
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2011, 12:49:49 AM »
At the time, my first thought was that the guy could've stood in the backcourt and taken the throw-in. With the whistle I assumed he had both feet in the forecourt and then stepped on the line. I don't think the ref gave the usual signal  for over-and-back.

Like this call, my life would have been better in slo-mo than it has been in real time.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 12:59:10 AM by MARQKC »

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2011, 01:25:45 AM »
funny i tried to post this yesterday, it disappeared!

No it didn't disappear, it was merged with the thread talking about, oh...the over and back!

http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=26143.msg292197#msg292197

feedback