[May 15, 2024, 06:12:27 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Hards Alumni
[May 15, 2024, 01:48:36 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Billy Hoyle
[May 15, 2024, 12:47:28 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[May 15, 2024, 09:31:52 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Recruiting as of 5/15/24  (Read 8649450 times)

🏀

• All American
Re: Recruiting as of 10/15/17
« Reply #11225 on: November 01, 2017, 07:20:18 PM »
I just mean in terms of passing on one and dones and wins somehow meaning more if it’s done with 4 year guys who are on the Dean’s List. If it happens that way? Sweet. But if you told me I can have a bunch of Otules get me to an E8 with a really solid season or I can take a bunch of one and done NBA guys and win a National title? Give me a title.

I couldn’t care less how long kids are here. Win some basketball games. If you’re good enough to make millions of dollars in your profession after 1, 2, 3, or 4 years who am I to say you should stick around for longer or value your wins less because you had the opportunity of a lifetime and left before you were required to?

I think the majority of posters agree with this.

MomofMUltiples

• All American
« Reply #11226 on: November 01, 2017, 07:28:02 PM »
Anybody who says they wouldn’t take the Anthony Davis’s of the world is either completely crazy or trying to make themselves feel better with Grimes moving on. Give me as many one and dones at Marquette as possible. We’re starting to sound like Badger fans here.

“I just want our guys to try really hard on the court and even harder in their agricultural studies classes. Diamond Stone had no business being at Wisconsin, he only cares about basketball and not what’s really important here, school!”

Let’s be honest, these kids are here to help MU make money by winning basketball games. If they’re doing illegal things and/or things that put people at harm then there is an issue. Otherwise? Put a basketball through a rim with a Marquette jersey on for 1-4 years and everything else is gravy.

I never said that. I said it's going to be hard to get in that game and stay in that game. I have no issue with getting the occasional or even regular one and done. I'm just saying for me, no part of my physical or mental wellbeing is tied to Marquette winning it all. I will take the ride with everyone else, and enjoy the hell out of it. But I refuse to call the program a failure if they don't get there.  I just love the sport.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2017, 09:07:14 PM by MomofMUltiples »
I mean, OK, maybe he's secretly a serial killer who's pulled the wool over our eyes with his good deeds and smooth jumper - Pakuni (on Markus Howard)

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #11227 on: November 01, 2017, 07:34:11 PM »
I think the majority of posters agree with this.

Source?
Have some patience, FFS.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #11228 on: November 01, 2017, 07:39:24 PM »
I never said that. I said it's going to be hard to get in that game and stay in that game. I have no issue with getting the occasional or even regular one and done. I'm just saying for my, no part of my physical or mental wellbeing is tied to Marquette winning it all. I will take the ride with everyone else, and enjoy the hell out of it. But I refuse to call the program a failure if they don't get there.  I just love the sport.

Fair.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

🏀

• All American

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #11230 on: November 01, 2017, 08:53:25 PM »
I just mean in terms of passing on one and dones and wins somehow meaning more if it’s done with 4 year guys who are on the Dean’s List. If it happens that way? Sweet. But if you told me I can have a bunch of Otules get me to an E8 with a really solid season or I can take a bunch of one and done NBA guys and win a National title? Give me a title.

I couldn’t care less how long kids are here. Win some basketball games. If you’re good enough to make millions of dollars in your profession after 1, 2, 3, or 4 years who am I to say you should stick around for longer or value your wins less because you had the opportunity of a lifetime and left before you were required to?

Sounds kind of like the Al years, pretty sure I n everyone else were fine with it then.
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #11231 on: November 01, 2017, 08:55:56 PM »
Lenny

I’m with you. Just win, baby!!

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #11232 on: November 01, 2017, 09:16:05 PM »
Lenny

I’m with you. Just win, baby!!

Goose

It was Wades with the observations, not me. But I agree with and support his position 100%.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #11233 on: November 01, 2017, 09:32:57 PM »
I'd happily take a team full of 1-and-dones like Kentucky or Duke every year. The student-athlete thing is all BS, anyway.

But we're not going to be like that ever, so it's like me saying I'd happily take a Powerball win and a date with Jessica Alba.

So once again, it comes back to me saying that I'm happy with how Wojo is building the program back up. I expect to enjoy this season's team and those of the next several years.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #11234 on: November 01, 2017, 10:41:13 PM »
When MUFNY tells us what activity they did with Grimes on the Saturday night of his visit and in what city they did it (and that event didn't even take insider knowledge to know, so I'm giving him an easy opportunity to at least get one thing right here...).

Alright Texas Western/MUFINY/Gus Ganakas*/Herman/lord knows how many other screen names...this is at least the second time you've been given this challenge to prove that your obvious lies are in fact the truth.  Put up or shut up as they say.

But, like every other time you've been proven to be simply making things up, you'll simply ignore it and do a Gish Gallop on to anther subject.

* The account you started for the sole purpose of agreeing with yourself in threads.  You were Cheesy & Tommy before Cheesy & Tommy...but Chicos & Hoopaloop did beat you to it.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #11235 on: November 01, 2017, 11:11:24 PM »
Alright Texas Western/MUFINY/Gus Ganakas*/Herman/lord knows how many other screen names...this is at least the second time you've been given this challenge to prove that your obvious lies are in fact the truth.  Put up or shut up as they say.

But, like every other time you've been proven to be simply making things up, you'll simply ignore it and do a Gish Gallop on to anther subject.

* The account you started for the sole purpose of agreeing with yourself in threads.  You were Cheesy & Tommy before Cheesy & Tommy...but Chicos & Hoopaloop did beat you to it.
1. Chicos is the number one poster on this website as far as I am concerned, close call with 4Ever who I consider my current role model.
2. I am truly impressed with Cheesy & Tommy.  Craftsmen at work
3. When Big Daddy posts his sources I will post mine.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2017, 11:13:44 PM by Herman Cain »
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #11236 on: November 01, 2017, 11:27:07 PM »
1. Chicos is the number one poster on this website as far as I am concerned, close call with 4Ever who I consider my current role model.

You are the source.  You were present for the visit.

Nobody's asking for you to reveal any extra sources who were along with you on Quentin's visit to Marquette.  Simply asking what was the (known to many, many people, nothing insider about it so no sources necessary) late night activity they did with Quentin on the Saturday night of his visit?  I won't even ask what city it was in, we can drop that part.  Heck, there were 2 things he did.  Name one of the two.  You were present for it, it can't be that hard.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #11237 on: November 01, 2017, 11:44:27 PM »

You just gave 3 great reasons why most on this board laugh at you.

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #11238 on: November 02, 2017, 03:31:49 AM »
Sounds kind of like the Al years, pretty sure I n everyone else were fine with it then.

Loved the Al years with "3 and dones."  Three years would be great.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #11239 on: November 02, 2017, 07:16:29 AM »
FWIW, I've heard Nobal is a UW lean.

I will say that I do blame a lot of this on the one-and-done culture, and elite group of players who are just looking for a place to play pickup ball until the NBA allows them to enter the draft.  I'm thinking we need to go back to kids going straight from HS to the draft, with at least a two year commitment for kids who decide to go to college instead.  If you have to play that game to win, there will only ever be a few winners because of the pipeline of these guys to UK, KU, Duke and maybe a handful of others.  It always heartens me when we see teams like Villanova, Gonzaga, and even the hated Badgers make it to the top level with three and four year players.  So, I would say keep going after these guys, because we know what difference makers they are, keep locking up the top WI talent, and build with guys who have a team mentality and are not just there to showcase their abilities for the NBA.  I feel really good about this program, and I'm happy (and patient) to watch where it goes.  I know some of you on this board don't agree with me, but personally my life is affected very little by whether or not MU wins a national championship.  I just want to watch our boys play their hearts out and win a good share, hopefully with regular tourney appearances.  Anything else to me is icing on the cake.

Pray Marquette doesn't win a NCAA tourney while you're a fan - that changes you and your expectations forever, and you too will be forever hanging on the decisions of 18 year olds.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #11240 on: November 02, 2017, 07:28:52 AM »
Loved the Al years with "3 and dones."  Three years would be great.

? "Three and dones" like Jim Chones, Gary Brell, Larry McNeil and Jim Boylan? Of course, Al coached in a different era - Wooden, Rupp, Smith, etc. didn't have to deal with early exits very often back in those days either.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2017, 09:03:38 AM by Lennys Tap »

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #11241 on: November 02, 2017, 07:42:45 AM »
You just gave 3 great reasons why most on this board laugh at you.
Nah, he just admitted he is simply trolling.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

mr.MUskie

• All American
« Reply #11242 on: November 02, 2017, 08:35:56 AM »
Which of you guys is posting on the KU board?

Got official word. MU is out of the race. Felt really good after the visit but couldn't seal the deal. MU has cancelled their in home and is moving on. Heard that UK is officially out too. Makes it a two horse race...with one horse significantly ahead of the other one. The TU visit today might have just been a courtesy to tell Shaka in person.
Congrats! Like I said before, KU is the only blue blood that I actually believe does things the right way. If we have to lose to a blue blood, I'm glad it was KU. See you all next time Marquette and Kansas go head to head for a recruit!

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #11243 on: November 02, 2017, 08:39:15 AM »
nm
« Last Edit: November 02, 2017, 08:40:49 AM by Hards_Alumni »

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #11244 on: November 02, 2017, 08:47:41 AM »

Well, let's see how Gregg Develops this year.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #11245 on: November 02, 2017, 08:52:16 AM »
I still like what's coming. We have Brendan Bailey and Joey on the hook for next year. The depth of what we have now is strong and, yes, it would have been nice to have Mr. Grimes, but I would not discount what's there now for next year.

One step at a time gang. One step at a time. We're getting there!

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #11246 on: November 02, 2017, 08:56:46 AM »
I still like what's coming. We have Brendan Bailey and Joey on the hook for next year. The depth of what we have now is strong and, yes, it would have been nice to have Mr. Grimes, but I would not discount what's there now for next year.

One step at a time gang. One step at a time. We're getting there!

Yep, but don't Discount this year.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #11247 on: November 02, 2017, 09:00:44 AM »
Yep, but don't Discount this year.

Agreed completely. Seeing a thread pop up about next year when this hasn't even started...I love the enthusiasm but I hope we aren't putting all our eggs in a basket that might look totally different in 12 months when we have a season to enjoy starting in a week.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #11248 on: November 02, 2017, 09:30:16 AM »
Would have been great to land Grimes. Huge for many reasons.

HOWEVER, I love the way next year's planned roster looks regardless.

And I'm confident that, if there is a transfer out, a high level grad transfer PG will look at the pieces in place here as tailor made to shine in a huge last season.

We're good!

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #11249 on: November 02, 2017, 09:49:12 AM »
What's Ramey's new recruitment looking like?

feedback