[May 03, 2024, 05:21:12 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Hards Alumni
[May 03, 2024, 02:22:34 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by Hards Alumni
[May 03, 2024, 02:02:49 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by mugrad_89
[May 03, 2024, 01:20:27 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Gary From Evanston  (Read 18563 times)

DegenerateDish

• All American
Gary From Evanston
« on: July 07, 2013, 10:57:40 PM »
For those that listen to Boers and Bernstein, Gary from Evanston passed away today. Truly a one of a kind who ya crappin caller, will miss his weekly craps. I for one will miss his calls. Go Expos and Bonanza.

LloydMooresLegs

Re: Gary From Evanston
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2013, 08:19:30 AM »
Sorry to hear that; most entertaining crapper of all time.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2013, 08:29:51 AM »
For those that listen to Boers and Bernstein, Gary from Evanston passed away today. Truly a one of a kind who ya crappin caller, will miss his weekly craps. I for one will miss his calls. Go Expos and Bonanza.

And the Canadiens...

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2013, 03:32:32 PM »
And the Canadiens...

So that's Gary on the right and PTM on the left, for those of you keeping score at home.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2013, 03:34:10 PM »
So that's Gary on the right and PTM on the left, for those of you keeping score at home.

Close.

That's Bob from Niles on the left.

I don't know....

mueron

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2013, 12:35:05 PM »
Nooooooooo!!!!! Not Gary from Evanston!

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2013, 06:07:21 PM »

I have no idea who these guys are but they don't look ...right. One could even say demented.

That bar, however, has seasonal pints for $3.25. Good place to spend Wednesday afternoons.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2013, 06:09:11 PM by keefe »

Death on call

LloydMooresLegs

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2013, 08:48:54 PM »
I can honestly say I think anybody who listens to Boers and Bernstein is a loser. Sorry.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2013, 09:16:19 PM »

That bar, however, has seasonal pints for $3.25. Good place to spend Wednesday afternoons.

And with that PSU flag, great place for fans to support child rape.

I can honestly say I think anybody who listens to Boers and Bernstein is a loser. Sorry.

Ha!

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2013, 11:17:37 PM »
And with that PSU flag, great place for fans to support child rape.

Ha!

I had such a different impression of Paterno. What a colossal misjudgment. To turn one's back on such hideous conduct defies comprehension.

Death on call

LloydMooresLegs

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2013, 07:07:02 AM »

Guilty. 

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2013, 09:09:48 AM »

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2013, 09:47:53 AM »
I see MU's own Len Kasper tweeted in that article.

As well as MU alum Rob Hart.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2013, 09:52:30 AM »

And I can honestly say that I think anyone who doesn't appreciate them has no taste.  Not so sorry.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2013, 10:00:43 AM »
And I can honestly say that I think anyone who doesn't appreciate them has no taste.  Not so sorry.

If faux intellectualism combined with overbearing (and often forced) cynicism and a large heaping of juvenile potty humor qualify as "taste," they're just the guys for you.
I used to be a listener and honestly appreciate their efforts to steer clear of the shouting meathead-ery that makes up 95 percent of the content on sports radio. But after a while it gets tiring to hear a couple of smarmy wannabe intellectuals discuss how everything sucks and poop is funny.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2013, 10:04:55 AM »
If faux intellectualism combined with overbearing (and often forced) cynicism and a large heaping of juvenile potty humor qualify as "taste," they're just the guys for you.
I used to be a listener and honestly appreciate their efforts to steer clear of the shouting meathead-ery that makes up 95 percent of the content on sports radio. But after a while it gets tiring to hear a couple of smarmy wannabe intellectuals discuss how everything sucks and poop is funny.

You're probably better off with Waddle & Silvy anyway.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2013, 10:11:33 AM »
You're probably better off with Waddle & Silvy anyway.

I'm better off with my iPod and books. Other than an occasional check of 780 and some crappy pop station when my kids are in the car, the radio never goes on.
B&B's entire schtick is to convince listeners they (the B&B listener) they're not the meathead that usually inhabits sports radio. Congrats, you're the tallest midget in the room.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 10:14:07 AM by Pakuni »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2013, 10:14:21 AM »

I didn't say you had to like them or listen to them everyday, I purposely said "appreciate them."

🏀

• All American
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2013, 10:16:22 AM »
I'm better off with my iPod and books. Other than an occasional check of 780 and some crappy pop station when my kids are in the car, the radio never goes on.
B&B's entire schtick is to convince listeners they (the B&B listener) they're not the meathead that usually inhabits sports radio. Congrats, you're the tallest midget in the room.

You gotta stop driving and reading. That's worse than texting.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2013, 10:18:05 AM »

Pretty much on the money. Though I do listen fairly regularly, I often do have to turn it off.

A recent example is their gushing over the gay basketball player, who's name escapes me. Bernstien in particular is beyond ridiculous. The word "gay" has been used on that show as an insult exponentially more than it is in the average high school. Yet, Bernstein can't help trying to show the world just how enlightened and open-minded he is by celebrating the guy's courage is to come out, and stepping overhimself to label anyone who questions anything about it some sort of biggot. Spare me. There may not be a person who will face less turmoil or ridicule after coming out than this guy. Beyond that, I don't think anybody even cares. The only people who seem to be talking about it or making any sort of issue of it, are those people like Dan Bernstien simply so they can feel better about themselves.

It is that hypocritical self-aggrandizing that makes me tune them out.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2013, 10:20:08 AM »
@Navin....agree completely.  I remember that topic entirely.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2013, 10:20:47 AM »
Boers is what people expect from an aging sportswriter - world weary and cynical, though I get the impression that one on one he might be a pretty good guy. Bernstein is smart, well spoken and at times insightful. He's also extremely arrogant, self important and condescending. Probably got beat up a lot as a kid. They both enjoy nothing better than eviscerating the dimmest of their callers, a "sport" I find less than entertaining.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2013, 10:23:33 AM »
Pretty much on the money. Though I do listen fairly regularly, I often do have to turn it off.

A recent example is their gushing over the gay basketball player, who's name escapes me. Bernstien in particular is beyond ridiculous. The word "gay" has been used on that show as an insult exponentially more than it is in the average high school. Yet, Bernstein can't help trying to show the world just how enlightened and open-minded he is by celebrating the guy's courage is to come out, and stepping overhimself to label anyone who questions anything about it some sort of biggot. Spare me. There may not be a person who will face less turmoil or ridicule after coming out than this guy. Beyond that, I don't think anybody even cares. The only people who seem to be talking about it or making any sort of issue of it, are those people like Dan Bernstien simply so they can feel better about themselves.

It is that hypocritical self-aggrandizing that makes me tune them out.

That was awful, awful. Notice that Terry was absent for the majority of that conversation.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2013, 10:31:27 AM »
Boers is what people expect from an aging sportswriter - world weary and cynical, though I get the impression that one on one he might be a pretty good guy. Bernstein is smart, well spoken and at times insightful. He's also extremely arrogant, self important and condescending. Probably got beat up a lot as a kid. They both enjoy nothing better than eviscerating the dimmest of their callers, a "sport" I find less than entertaining.

That's a fantastic point, and illustrates the worst quality of these guys. They are, for lack of a better word, bullies. But instead of picking on the weak kid on the playground, they pick on the weak kid who doesn't know any better than to not call their show. Maybe, in some regard, that means those callers are asking for it, but that makes it no less off-putting. And many B&B fans, of course, eat it up because it allows them to feel superior to the meathead caller. (Side note: if you spend a significant part of your day listening to sports radio, chances are you aren't half as smart as you believe).