collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: GREAT Article on Jay Wright and "Positionless Basketball"  (Read 1320 times)

tower912

• All American
Re: GREAT Article on Jay Wright and "Positionless Basketball"
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2018, 09:53:28 AM »
Switchables who can shoot. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2018, 10:02:50 AM »
Now, that may be an article on an offensive genius.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2018, 10:12:34 AM »
It's really interesting to compare statistically.  In conference games only, Nova was 1st in 3PA and last in 2PA.  But they shot a ridiculous 62% from 2, which made them 4th in 2FG. 

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2018, 11:22:37 AM »
A very good article indeed.  The only shame is that it was posted in the Superbar.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2018, 08:22:04 PM »
It's really interesting to compare statistically.  In conference games only, Nova was 1st in 3PA and last in 2PA.  But they shot a ridiculous 62% from 2, which made them 4th in 2FG.

Lay ups and open 3s is the way to go. One of the reasons players don't develop mid range games is that, given how well they shoot 3s, the 10-19 foot shot is comparatively low percentage.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2018, 10:14:59 AM »
One big difference in the way he played with 4 guards is that they are almost all big guards - not 5'9" and 5'10" guys. His 4 "guards" this year average over 6'4". He also has two outstanding 6'9" guys.

Plus, this system (Mr. Obvious) works when the guys are top notch players. There are at least 4 NBAers on the roster.

He also needs a top PG (Lowry, brunson, etc.) for the system to work.

I don't say this at all to minimize what Wright has done. I rate him as one of the top 2 or 3 coaches in the country.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2018, 10:37:17 AM »
I'm curious how the Quinerley kid works out next year. Wright has made a few comments about not chasing one and dones and only going after guys that want to be at Villanova. A kid who allegedly accepted money (or his family did) to go to another school doesn't strike me as matching Wrights description. We will see how it plays out.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2018, 04:51:35 PM »
I'm curious how the Quinerley kid works out next year. Wright has made a few comments about not chasing one and dones and only going after guys that want to be at Villanova. A kid who allegedly accepted money (or his family did) to go to another school doesn't strike me as matching Wrights description. We will see how it plays out.

Jay has talked recently that he wants one-and-dones to come to Nova. He is involved with several for 2019.