[Today at 11:23:04 AM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by brewcity77
[Today at 08:37:46 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Hards Alumni
[May 05, 2024, 01:00:40 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by 1SE
[May 05, 2024, 05:22:49 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: The Future of Cities  (Read 29071 times)

tower912

• All American
Re: The Future of Cities
« Reply #700 on: August 04, 2023, 02:39:41 PM »
As soon soon as a way is found to connect it to teenage boys getting vaccinated for COVID, or a way is found to blame it on the rainbow.community, Florida will be all over it.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #701 on: August 04, 2023, 02:42:41 PM »
As soon soon as a way is found to connect it to teenage boys getting vaccinated for COVID, or a way is found to blame it on the rainbow.community, Florida will be all over it.

Only a matter of time before Florida starts shipping its lepers to Martha's Vineyard.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #702 on: August 04, 2023, 02:48:19 PM »
Leper Caye has a nice ring to it

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #703 on: August 04, 2023, 02:54:05 PM »
In 2023, I would think one case of leprosy in a major U.S. metro area would be eye-opening.
The politically correct name is Hansen's disease. Except for Hansen, of course.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #704 on: August 04, 2023, 03:03:54 PM »
The politically correct name is Hansen's disease. Except for Hansen, of course.

Mmmmmmm pox....
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #705 on: August 04, 2023, 03:05:12 PM »
“The 15 cases ... within a couple of days is gonna be down to close to zero.”
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MU82

• All American
« Reply #706 on: August 07, 2023, 08:29:58 AM »
Zoom, of all companies, is requiring employees to return to the office.

Staff who live within 50 miles of a Zoom workplace must now be there at least two days per week. HQ is in San Jose.

"We believe that a structured hybrid approach - meaning employees that live near an office need to be onsite two days a week to interact with their teams - is most effective for Zoom," a company spokesperson told Business Insider. "As a company, we are in a better position to use our own technologies, continue to innovate, and support our global customers. We'll continue to leverage the entire Zoom platform to keep our employees and dispersed teams connected and working efficiently."

https://seekingalpha.com/news/3998019-remote-work-zoom-tells-employees-to-return-to-office?lctg=60ab95209838154d2d2b6636&mailingid=32317080&messageid=wall_street_breakfast&serial=32317080.29583&userid=1115549&utm_campaign=wsb_08_07_2023&utm_medium=email&utm_source=seeking_alpha&utm_term=wall_street_breakfast
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #707 on: August 07, 2023, 09:05:55 AM »
All employees should be working in office, factories, schools, etc. Absolutely no reason to work remotely, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #708 on: August 07, 2023, 12:44:36 PM »
Only a matter of time before Florida starts shipping its lepers to Martha's Vineyard.

OK, time for a reality check.

Few, if any of us, on the Republican side are opposed to immigration. We embrace the things that make our country special. Immigration is one of those things.

As much as you guys hate Governor DeSantis, even he favors legalized immigration. So do I, as my family was built on it.

But what many of us have concerns about is uncontrolled, unfettered immigration. When you throw the doors open with no regulation and no management of the process, a country ends up with problems. Drugs, for one, get in. Criminals too end up here. If we just throw the doors open, we'll have a billion people here in 30 or 40 years. You think we have environmental problems now, just wait until we try to feed, clothe, house, educate and create economic opportunity for a population three times our current size.

Look, I have real problems with what our Governor did last year in Martha's Vineyard. It's failing to respect human dignity. But I understand the frustration of our governor, the Governor of Texas and other states over the immigration issue. Up until recently, Florida, Texas and Arizona have borne the brunt of the illegal immigration costs.

And lest you think this is a GOP only issue, Mayor Johnson in Chicago is proposing to move migrants to community centers across the city. The outrage is substantial from many of the residents whose elected officials voted to make Chicago a sanctuary city. New Chicago motto: "Do as I say, not as I do."

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #709 on: August 07, 2023, 01:03:21 PM »
But what many of us have concerns about is uncontrolled, unfettered immigration.  When you throw the doors open with no regulation and no management of the process, a country ends up with problems.

Good thing that isn't happening.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #710 on: August 07, 2023, 01:40:13 PM »

Few, if any of us, on the Republican side are opposed to immigration. We embrace the things that make our country special. Immigration is one of those things.

Simply untrue.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #711 on: August 07, 2023, 01:44:44 PM »

As much as you guys hate Governor DeSantis, even he favors legalized immigration. So do I, as my family was built on it.

But what many of us have concerns about is uncontrolled, unfettered immigration. When you throw the doors open with no regulation and no management of the process, a country ends up with problems. Drugs, for one, get in. Criminals too end up here. If we just throw the doors open, we'll have a billion people here in 30 or 40 years. You think we have environmental problems now, just wait until we try to feed, clothe, house, educate and create economic opportunity for a population three times our current size.

Look, I have real problems with what our Governor did last year in Martha's Vineyard. It's failing to respect human dignity. But I understand the frustration of our governor, the Governor of Texas and other states over the immigration issue. Up until recently, Florida, Texas and Arizona have borne the brunt of the illegal immigration costs.

And lest you think this is a GOP only issue, Mayor Johnson in Chicago is proposing to move migrants to community centers across the city. The outrage is substantial from many of the residents whose elected officials voted to make Chicago a sanctuary city. New Chicago motto: "Do as I say, not as I do."

As far as I can tell, nobody here favors "uncontrolled, unfettered immigration." And, as Sultan notes, that isn't happening.
In fact, I can't think of any notable political figure who supports that. Can you name some? Or are you just throwing out red herrings?

It's true that some of us aren't fans of the demonization of people for the "crime" of seeking a better life for themselves at their family. These are, in fact, the same motivations that brought all of our families here. And we're definitely not fans of using people - through deception, no less - as political props.
Florida bears the brunt of illegal immigration costs? My dude ... DeSantis had to send his people to Texas to find illegal immigrants for his stunt. And yet somehow California, which bears a far greater burden than any other state, can manage its frustrations without dehumanizing people.

Drugs? The reality is the vast majority of illegal drugs are brought into this country by American citizens at legal crossing points.
Crime? An illegal immigrant is far less likely to commit a serious crime than a citizen or a legal immigrant.

As for Chicago, there's no "substantial outrage," and what controversy that exists is over procedure, not the fact the city is trying to accommodate migrants.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #712 on: August 07, 2023, 01:52:18 PM »

Other than where you are expressing your own personal opinions, literally nothing you say here is accurate.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Plaque Lives Matter!

• Starter
« Reply #713 on: August 07, 2023, 01:54:50 PM »
All employees should be working in office, factories, schools, etc. Absolutely no reason to work remotely, aina?

I thought cities where a large chunk of offices are aren’t safe? Why are you dooming us to be victims of violence?

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #714 on: August 07, 2023, 01:57:00 PM »

Good thing that isn't happening.

Completely divorced from reality.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #715 on: August 07, 2023, 01:59:13 PM »
As far as I can tell, nobody here favors "uncontrolled, unfettered immigration." And, as Sultan notes, that isn't happening.
In fact, I can't think of any notable political figure who supports that. Can you name some? Or are you just throwing out red herrings?

It's true that some of us aren't fans of the demonization of people for the "crime" of seeking a better life for themselves at their family. These are, in fact, the same motivations that brought all of our families here. And we're definitely not fans of using people - through deception, no less - as political props.
Florida bears the brunt of illegal immigration costs? My dude ... DeSantis had to send his people to Texas to find illegal immigrants for his stunt. And yet somehow California, which bears a far greater burden than any other state, can manage its frustrations without dehumanizing people.

Drugs? The reality is the vast majority of illegal drugs are brought into this country by American citizens at legal crossing points.
Crime? An illegal immigrant is far less likely to commit a serious crime than a citizen or a legal immigrant.

As for Chicago, there's no "substantial outrage," and what controversy that exists is over procedure, not the fact the city is trying to accommodate migrants.

Also, the majority of illegal immigrants do not cross the border illegally.  They cross legally then overstay their visa whether student or visitation.  I knew of several illegal immigrants and none spoke Spanish.  After staying here, they spent 10-15 years and 10s of thousands $ applying for legal status which they eventually obtained.

• All American
« Reply #716 on: August 07, 2023, 02:10:13 PM »
Completely divorced from reality.

???  It is legal to come to the United States to request asylum. Applicants may stay in the United States, and even work, until their application is heard.  My understanding is that the people sent to Martha's Vineyard had already requested asylum and that some had work permits as well.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!

• All American
« Reply #718 on: August 07, 2023, 02:20:23 PM »
https://www.cbp.gov/frontline/border-crisis-cbp-s-response

So, as I said, the vast majority of migrants come to the country and request asylum. Which is perfectly legal and neither "uncontrolled" nor "unfettered."

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #719 on: August 07, 2023, 02:21:21 PM »
https://www.cbp.gov/frontline/border-crisis-cbp-s-response

I see your backing sultan's point again
They were pushed by the threat of violence and by economic hardships. They were pulled in by the chance at a good job in a booming U.S. economy. They were lured by smugglers dangling a false promise that if they bring their children, they will get to stay in the U.S.

Also from 10/18-9/19.  I think a great wall was being built then. Musta beena surplus of ladders!

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #720 on: August 07, 2023, 03:39:15 PM »
I see your backing sultan's point again
Also from 10/18-9/19.  I think a great wall was being built then. Musta beena surplus of ladders!

Cherrypicking a single sentence out of an entire report.  Do you know how stupid that makes you look?

It's also the most recent report available.   Things have gotten worse since Sleepy has been in office, despite your lame joke about the wall.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #721 on: August 07, 2023, 05:02:08 PM »
Cherrypicking a single sentence out of an entire report.  Do you know how stupid that makes you look?

I actually read the whole thing, and I'm confident your grey mush just can't comprehend it.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #722 on: August 07, 2023, 07:59:09 PM »
I actually read the whole thing, and I'm confident your grey mush just can't comprehend it.

Ooohhh...someone attended Hards' Internet Tough Guy tm seminar this weekend.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #723 on: August 07, 2023, 08:11:39 PM »
Ooohhh...someone attended Hards' Internet Tough Guy tm seminar this weekend.

I think you misspelled Internet "correct" guy.  The tough guy would post an article with no commentary that proves correct the guy that he's arguing against, then then say it makes someone else look dumb for pointing it out. 

I think you best stick to pig emojis, more your speed.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #724 on: August 08, 2023, 09:24:35 AM »

Example 2,438,541 of how Republicans embrace immigration...so long as the immigrants are the white, errrrr "right" kind.

https://twitter.com/laurenwitzkede/status/1688753613856739328

If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

feedback