[Today at 10:20:49 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 07:00:37 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MU82
[May 03, 2024, 05:21:12 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by Hards Alumni
[May 03, 2024, 02:02:49 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Real MLB Thread  (Read 188255 times)

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
Re: Real MLB Thread
« Reply #1200 on: October 31, 2019, 06:31:34 AM »
So I wonder who will acquire Cole next season. My Yanks sure need starting pitching, but I'm not so sure they'll go after him.

I will be shocked if he is not wearing an Angels or Dodgers jersey next season.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #1201 on: October 31, 2019, 07:10:23 AM »
I recall hearing often on sport's talk out here that he's a lifelong Yankees fan until he joined professional baseball.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #1202 on: October 31, 2019, 07:37:17 AM »
Yet another example that you don't need to open the vaults to sign big name free agents to succeed in the MLB.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #1203 on: October 31, 2019, 07:54:43 AM »
300 game winner may never happen again.

The way the games are trending now, you could have a 5th inning guy who completes the 5th inning 60 times a year when you have the lead and win 40-50 games like the best save guy gets 40-50 saves.  You could end up with some strange things as strategy changes, so you can never say never. 

In the old days you could average 18 wins a year 17-18 years and get to 300.  Now you have to average 15 wins for 20 years, because wins are harder to come by when you are only pitching 6 or 7 innings for 32 or 33 starts.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #1204 on: October 31, 2019, 07:57:26 AM »
Good morning and congrats to the Nats and their fans. The team earned a World Championship. It truly did.

Has there ever been a World Series where the road team won every game? Incredible!
No, the Nats are the first team to lose three games at home and win a World Series and are the first team to win a World Series without winning a game at home.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #1205 on: October 31, 2019, 08:00:03 AM »
Congrats to the Nats.    Went to their home opener this season with my family.    The return of Bryce Harper with the Phillies.    Trea Turner broke his hand.    Phillies won.    National fans were pretty despondent about the rest of the season.     But, their team survived Harpershima.

Side note:   Now the entire starting rotation of the 2014 Tigers have won rings.    Verlander, Scherzer, Price, Porcello, Sanchez.     Not that I am bitter or anything.
I feel for you Tower, those were some good teams in Detroit the first half of this decade.  You have to be a little lucky as well as good to win the World Series.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1206 on: October 31, 2019, 08:09:58 AM »
I feel for you Tower, those were some good teams in Detroit the first half of this decade.  You have to be a little lucky as well as good to win the World Series.

Team speed and defense help, too.    And keep Dombrowski away from your bullpen.  And farm system. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #1207 on: October 31, 2019, 08:10:55 AM »
Yet another example that you don't need to open the vaults to sign big name free agents to succeed in the MLB.

What???  The Nats regularly spend in free agency.  Scherzer and Corbin seem like glaring examples of pretty huge contracts. 

They also have the 5th highest payroll.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2019, 08:13:16 AM by buckchuckler »

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #1208 on: October 31, 2019, 08:12:26 AM »
The way the games are trending now, you could have a 5th inning guy who completes the 5th inning 60 times a year when you have the lead and win 40-50 games like the best save guy gets 40-50 saves.  You could end up with some strange things as strategy changes, so you can never say never. 

In the old days you could average 18 wins a year 17-18 years and get to 300.  Now you have to average 15 wins for 20 years, because wins are harder to come by when you are only pitching 6 or 7 innings for 32 or 33 starts.

It still boggles my mind that Cy Young won 511 games.  Yes, I know that it was a very different time, but still...511 games?!!  Take your pick:  25 wins per year for 20 years or 20 wins per year for 25 years; with another half-season worth of wins thrown in. 
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #1209 on: October 31, 2019, 08:14:17 AM »
Wins are not really relevant, so it's OK that it is deemphasized more.  It should even be removed from boxscores IMO.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #1210 on: October 31, 2019, 08:16:24 AM »

?????  I guess it depends on what you define as big name and opening the vault.

Nationals had third highest payroll in baseball this year.

Bottom 10, two made the playoffs.

Top 10, five made the playoffs.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #1211 on: October 31, 2019, 08:19:38 AM »
What???  The Nats regularly spend in free agency.  Scherzer and Corbin seem like glaring examples of pretty huge contracts. 

They also have the 5th highest payroll.

Actually 3rd highest.  https://www.usatoday.com/sports/mlb/salaries/2019/team/all/

Strasborg was highest paid player to start year.  Scherzer second highest.

https://www.thestreet.com/lifestyle/sports/highest-paid-mlb-players-14880433

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1212 on: October 31, 2019, 08:22:43 AM »
I can't sit through 3 1/2-hour or 4-hour games, but I did watch the last 5 innings last night. (Though I did flip around to the NBA during commercials and I did do some cellphone chatting -- including on Scoop -- during the game.)

Entertaining, tense sports theater, with just enough decisions being made that it gave fans like us plenty to second guess.

It's still hard for me to believe that Hinch was willing to keep the best pitcher in baseball on the bench as he lost the game.

Although I would have kept Greinke in the game even after the walk, I do accept that there was a logical case to remove him. In that case, I go with Cole; there was no reason to not have him warming up as that inning started. And if I don't go with Cole for some reason, I have to go with Osuna (which I think Smoltz also said). Harris had been solid but had given up a huge HR the night before and Hinch himself had voiced concern that Harris was out of gas. Ugh.

But hey, at least Cole will be well-rested for his next outing!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #1213 on: October 31, 2019, 08:23:56 AM »
Maybe Martinez was the mastermind behind the 2016 Cubs.

And the Rays...

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #1214 on: October 31, 2019, 09:27:23 AM »
Ewing theory

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #1215 on: October 31, 2019, 09:32:16 AM »
Ewing theory

Except that Harper wasn't their best player last year.  Or the year before that, or the year before that... and certainly wouldn't have been their best player this year.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #1216 on: October 31, 2019, 09:34:47 AM »
If anyone finds a .wav or .mp3 of the foul pole sound from Kendrick's HR, please post a link.  I want to change the default sound effect on my PC from "Ding" to "Clung"
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #1217 on: October 31, 2019, 11:14:38 AM »
Sometimes I hate living in the Eastern time zone.
Got rough staying up for the central time zone as well.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #1218 on: October 31, 2019, 12:19:16 PM »

Maybe short term.

But if they don’t open the vault for Rendon & Strasburg, it’s just a one year blip.

3 out of 4 teams in the League Championship Series were 3 of the four biggest spenders. It’s ALWAYSA short window for the smaller money teams as Minnesota, Milwaukee, and Tampa Bay will find out
« Last Edit: October 31, 2019, 12:24:23 PM by Jockey »

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
« Reply #1219 on: October 31, 2019, 03:56:28 PM »
Side note:   Now the entire starting rotation of the 2014 Tigers have won rings.    Verlander, Scherzer, Price, Porcello, Sanchez.     Not that I am bitter or anything.

The point remains the same, but Drew Smyly, (who started that season as the #5 starter, and started 18 games to Price's 11 GS), is still without a ring.

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
« Reply #1220 on: October 31, 2019, 05:33:16 PM »
"@joe_sheehan

The team that hit more homers was 7-0 in the World Series, and 26-6 in the playoffs. Please take your smallball talk for a long walk off a short pier."

Just thought that was interesting.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #1221 on: October 31, 2019, 05:59:44 PM »
"@joe_sheehan

The team that hit more homers was 7-0 in the World Series, and 26-6 in the playoffs. Please take your smallball talk for a long walk off a short pier."

Just thought that was interesting.

The analytics guys knew this several years ago. The rising HR counts every year have happened for a reason. The interesting thing will be if MLB goes back to the ball they used several years ago and a lot of the HRs end up as flyouts on the warning track.

But for now, it is uppercut swings for hitters. For pitchers, it is the ability to best control the 3 true outcomes - strikeouts, walks, and HRs.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #1222 on: October 31, 2019, 08:04:18 PM »
How the Sox run their organization is embarrassing.

They traded an actual asset to save 500k.  Ridiculous.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2019, 08:10:06 PM by buckchuckler »

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #1223 on: October 31, 2019, 09:02:26 PM »
The analytics guys knew this several years ago. The rising HR counts every year have happened for a reason. The interesting thing will be if MLB goes back to the ball they used several years ago and a lot of the HRs end up as flyouts on the warning track.

But for now, it is uppercut swings for hitters. For pitchers, it is the ability to best control the 3 true outcomes - strikeouts, walks, and HRs.

The best hitters dont have an uppercut swing.  They just get on plane much sooner.  It's the ted Williams style of swing.

This is in on contrast to the Charlie Lau school, which was taught in the 70s-90s that you would swing down to the ball, hit it on top to create backspin.

Advanced analytics and slo-mo video have proven the on plate swing is a better eay to hot.  Thus launch angle, exit velocity, etc are the key factors now.

The days of squish the bug are done. 

MLB will either change the ball, either how tightly it is wound or the height of the stitching, to "correct" the huge advantage hitters have over pitchers now.  That is, if MLB wants to.  More home runs=ratings and butts in the seats.

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #1224 on: October 31, 2019, 10:09:30 PM »
MLB will either change the ball, either how tightly it is wound or the height of the stitching, to "correct" the huge advantage hitters have over pitchers now.  That is, if MLB wants to.  More home runs=ratings and butts in the seats.

I'm not sure that's true anymore. This season featured an all-time record of homers hit, but TV ratings and attendance continued to fall.

feedback