[Today at 10:20:49 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 07:00:37 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MU82
[May 03, 2024, 05:21:12 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by Hards Alumni
[May 03, 2024, 02:02:49 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Real MLB Thread  (Read 188252 times)

buckchuckler

• All American
Re: Real MLB Thread
« Reply #1125 on: October 24, 2019, 07:47:18 PM »
I don't know.  It's pretty hard to determine when it is manipulation, when it is legit, and when it is a little of both.

What needs to happen is a little more clarification in the CBA.  Players should get shorter service time to free agency too but that's not likely going to happen.

Oh, I agree.  He will have a very difficult time proving it, even if it seems very obvious (I think this applies to Bryant.  Obviously it is what they did, but incredibly hard to prove it.).  Honestly, I don't think he will win, I just don't like how the system works right now.  It is better for baseball to have the best players with their teams, not wasting time in AAA.

I understand why teams do it, and it would almost be frivolous not to do it, especially for a team not in contention.  That doesn't make it any less crappy.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #1126 on: October 24, 2019, 07:57:35 PM »
Oh, I agree.  He will have a very difficult time proving it, even if it seems very obvious (I think this applies to Bryant.  Obviously it is what they did, but incredibly hard to prove it.).  Honestly, I don't think he will win, I just don't like how the system works right now.  It is better for baseball to have the best players with their teams, not wasting time in AAA.

I understand why teams do it, and it would almost be frivolous not to do it, especially for a team not in contention.  That doesn't make it any less crappy.

It will be fixed in the next CBA.  Meantime, da rules are da rules.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1127 on: October 24, 2019, 09:37:12 PM »
Exactly.  A rich white male whose team traded for a guy serving a suspension for domestic violence, who was considered damaged goods because of said domestic violence, sees a female reporter who had written and Tweeted about the Astros and their trading for a player who beats women and has complained about her Tweeting about domestic violence just happens to see this reporter, along with 2 other female reporters, standing near, but not even addressing, said wife beater, and starts screaming about how "phucking happy" he is to have this wife beater on his team...immediately after the wife beater had blown a 2 run lead in the 9th inning.  But it was all coincidental, there was no intent behind it, let's not draw conclusions about the guy.  Heck, even the Astros themselves say relax, we don't know the intent.

Then when the Astros fire the guy a day later, Cheeks yells "SUE!"

Lol.

What a freaking nut.  Defend the guy defending a wife beater over admitting he had something wrong.  Truly unbelievable, but this is a guy who will just make a new username to defend himself.

Why are you surprised? In another thread today, hoopaloop claims he would be fine with it if an authority figure punched his son in the face.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #1128 on: October 25, 2019, 12:44:15 PM »
Why are you surprised? In another thread today, hoopaloop claims he would be fine with it if an authority figure punched his son in the face.

On 5th Avenue?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1129 on: October 25, 2019, 12:45:05 PM »
Oh behave.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #1130 on: October 25, 2019, 01:21:51 PM »
Lots of rumors of the Brewers retiring the Miller-script M logo. Is there any possibility that the 'new' logo is not simply a return of the ball and glove full time? (this is the correct choice)

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #1131 on: October 25, 2019, 02:42:35 PM »
Lots of rumors of the Brewers retiring the Miller-script M logo. Is there any possibility that the 'new' logo is not simply a return of the ball and glove full time? (this is the correct choice)

Word on the street is it is going to be a "Brewers" script under the Amfam roofline.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #1132 on: October 25, 2019, 03:46:15 PM »
Witch street, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1133 on: October 25, 2019, 05:11:06 PM »
https://www.si.com/mlb/2019/10/25/brandon-taubman-facing-suspension-astros

Dude should lawyer up and call Cheeks.  Sue the Astros.  Sue the MLB.  They can't take these actions, we don't know this guy's intent!  He's going to be a very, very rich man.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1134 on: October 27, 2019, 07:34:33 PM »
Uh-oh.

WASHINGTON — In a startling development that vastly alters the complexion of the World Series at its most pivotal moment, Washington Nationals ace Max Scherzer will not start Sunday night’s Game 5 after suffering severe irritation in a neck nerve and right trapezius, manager Dave Martinez announced.

Joe Ross will start in place of Scherzer, who started and won Game 1. While Martinez said Scherzer may return later in the series, either in relief of Stephen Strasburg in Game 6 or starting a potential Game 7, the nature of this injury makes that scenario unlikely at best.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #1135 on: October 27, 2019, 09:58:16 PM »
Rough night for balls and strikes. 

CreightonWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #1136 on: October 27, 2019, 10:47:44 PM »
Maybe astros just wanted to clinch at home.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1137 on: October 28, 2019, 06:04:07 AM »
I liked the Nationals fan blocking the home run with his chest so he didn't spill his two fisted beers.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #1138 on: October 28, 2019, 07:16:50 AM »
I liked the Nationals fan blocking the home run with his chest so he didn't spill his two fisted beers.

That was amazing.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #1139 on: October 28, 2019, 07:32:56 AM »
Uh-oh.

WASHINGTON — In a startling development that vastly alters the complexion of the World Series at its most pivotal moment, Washington Nationals ace Max Scherzer will not start Sunday night’s Game 5 after suffering severe irritation in a neck nerve and right trapezius, manager Dave Martinez announced.

Joe Ross will start in place of Scherzer, who started and won Game 1. While Martinez said Scherzer may return later in the series, either in relief of Stephen Strasburg in Game 6 or starting a potential Game 7, the nature of this injury makes that scenario unlikely at best.

Strangely, this may have worked out for the Nats, especially if Scherzer is available for game 7.  The Nats were held to one run yet again, so even if Scherzer pitched, very good chance they lose anyway.  I think Strasburg matches up well with Verlander, and if Scherzer can go, I like him against Greinke or anybody who will be available for the Astros in game 7 (Cole could probably give them an inning or two or three).  Doesn't look great for the Nats, but they are not dead yet.

This has been a very uneventful/uninteresting World Series, unless of course you are invested in one of the teams.  Other than game 1, the games have been rather dull.  Game 3 was the only other decent game, as the Nationals threatened often but couldn't get a big hit. 
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1140 on: October 28, 2019, 07:40:10 AM »
Strangely, this may have worked out for the Nats, especially if Scherzer is available for game 7.  The Nats were held to one run yet again, so even if Scherzer pitched, very good chance they lose anyway.  I think Strasburg matches up well with Verlander, and if Scherzer can go, I like him against Greinke or anybody who will be available for the Astros in game 7 (Cole could probably give them an inning or two or three).  Doesn't look great for the Nats, but they are not dead yet.

This has been a very uneventful/uninteresting World Series, unless of course you are invested in one of the teams.  Other than game 1, the games have been rather dull.  Game 3 was the only other decent game, as the Nationals threatened often but couldn't get a big hit.

Agree on all of that. Will be rooting for a good game tomorrow night, hopefully with Strasburg besting Verlander.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1141 on: October 28, 2019, 08:02:33 AM »
Astros owner writing an apology to the SI reporter who wrote about the assistant GM incident.  Says they got it wrong and they shouldn't have written the response they did.  The assistant GM should be suing the Astros for firing him, the MLB for suspending him, and the Astros owner for defamation.  The guy was simply excited about his closer who gave up a game tying 2 run home run in the 9th inning.  These people don't know his real intent.  The assistant GM is about to be rolling in cash.

Maybe we need to not allow female reporters into the locker rooms and this would've never happened, hey?
« Last Edit: October 28, 2019, 08:07:59 AM by wadesworld »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

🏀

• All American
« Reply #1142 on: October 28, 2019, 08:28:57 AM »
Astros owner writing an apology to the SI reporter who wrote about the assistant GM incident.  Says they got it wrong and they shouldn't have written the response they did.  The assistant GM should be suing the Astros for firing him, the MLB for suspending him, and the Astros owner for defamation.  The guy was simply excited about his closer who gave up a game tying 2 run home run in the 9th inning.  These people don't know his real intent.  The assistant GM is about to be rolling in cash.

Maybe we need to not allow female reporters into the locker rooms and this would've never happened, hey?

At least we would get locker room talk back.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #1143 on: October 28, 2019, 04:28:35 PM »
Anyone catch the flashers last night?  Behind home plate?  LOL.  This guy with the commentary.

https://youtu.be/QOsx6Yola6A

"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #1144 on: October 28, 2019, 04:48:06 PM »

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #1146 on: October 28, 2019, 07:45:56 PM »
I can't believe I missed that last night. Must have been reading scoop.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1147 on: October 28, 2019, 08:31:33 PM »
Must have been chanting "Lift them up"
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #1148 on: October 28, 2019, 08:43:16 PM »
Must have been chanting "Lift them up"

Easy to get confused with what people are saying was the loudest applause in the history of baseball still echoing throughout the stadium.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #1149 on: October 28, 2019, 08:55:41 PM »

God Bless America

Cheeks,

They don’t do that in Montana.