[Today at 10:20:49 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 07:00:37 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MU82
[May 03, 2024, 05:21:12 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by Hards Alumni
[May 03, 2024, 02:02:49 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Real MLB Thread  (Read 188252 times)

CTWarrior

• All American
Re: Real MLB Thread
« Reply #1100 on: October 24, 2019, 11:22:39 AM »
I usually shy away from criticizing players for not hustling, but Springer could have been on 3rd with one out in the 8th inning, right?  Maybe it would've changed things, maybe not.

Anyway, it was a great game.

It was a great game, but I've given up expecting hustle from players.  3rd inning of same game, Brantley on first with two outs and Gurriel pops up a ball in no man's land between SS, LF and CF.  Brantley jogs into second and realizes a step or two before he gets there it has a chance to drop and then busts it to third and takes a big turn and has to hold up.  If he is running hard from contact with two outs he scores.  No one even mentions it.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #1101 on: October 24, 2019, 12:01:17 PM »
It was a great game, but I've given up expecting hustle from players.  3rd inning of same game, Brantley on first with two outs and Gurriel pops up a ball in no man's land between SS, LF and CF.  Brantley jogs into second and realizes a step or two before he gets there it has a chance to drop and then busts it to third and takes a big turn and has to hold up.  If he is running hard from contact with two outs he scores.  No one even mentions it.

If you are an Astros fan it wasn't a great game.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #1102 on: October 24, 2019, 03:40:16 PM »
So, the Astros just fired Brandon Taubman and apologized to Stephanie Apstein.
Not a banner week for that franchise.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #1103 on: October 24, 2019, 03:44:32 PM »
So, the Astros just fired Brandon Taubman and apologized to Stephanie Apstein.

Yeah their entire response to that episode ranged from flat out lies to ridiculous tone-deafness. 
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1104 on: October 24, 2019, 04:00:52 PM »
I’ll save Cheeks the time.

Another innocent man’s career ruined by SJWs and the PC society we live in today.

The guy never even stated the intent of those comments.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #1105 on: October 24, 2019, 04:09:04 PM »
Another scalp
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #1106 on: October 24, 2019, 04:10:16 PM »
Yeah their entire response to that episode ranged from flat out lies to ridiculous tone-deafness.

I think my favorite one was the reporter was wearing a bracelet as if anyone notices what bracelets people are wearing.

He will have an interesting lawsuit against the team. 
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1107 on: October 24, 2019, 04:11:37 PM »
I think my favorite one was the reporter was wearing a bracelet as if anyone notices what bracelets people are wearing.

He will have an interesting lawsuit against the team.

Lol. The persecuted rich white male falls again.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

• All American
« Reply #1108 on: October 24, 2019, 04:19:38 PM »

And she wasn't just wearing a bracelet. She had specifically written articles cricial of the Astro's handling of the Osuna situation.  He knew what he was doing.

He shouldn't sue because it will end badly for him.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #1109 on: October 24, 2019, 04:44:34 PM »

The predicted response...by the way, I have no idea the person’s age, ethnicity, sexual preference, etc, but will take your word for it.

I’m guessing a large parting gift his heading his way, or a lawsuit will come from him especially based on the GM’a comments yesterday about intent.  Easier for them to part ways with him, pay him off or pay in the end. 

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #1110 on: October 24, 2019, 04:49:07 PM »
And she wasn't just wearing a bracelet. She had specifically written articles cricial of the Astro's handling of the Osuna situation.  He knew what he was doing.

He won't sue because if he had a contract the whole thing has already been discussed, and the Astros lawyers would have gone over everything already to make sure their asses are covered. I love it when the tort reform crowd yells "sue the bastards" when one of their own is affected.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #1111 on: October 24, 2019, 04:51:10 PM »

Interesting for someone to prove that in court if that is the case.  Intent will have to be proved.  Didn’t we have a whole discussion about intent here last month?   

He may not have to if he gets a severance upon exit.  If the bracelet didn’t matter, why is it continued to be mentioned?  As if people notice bracelets?  Talk about an absolutely ridiculous inclusion in the story.  Nobody notices that stuff, let alone how many people even know what these things mean when there are thousands of different causes, various colors, etc. This isn’t the days of live strong yellow bracelets that everyone knew, now there are literally thousands with every cause under the Sun.  Apparently it was brought up by people as “further proof” and I believe any competent attorney would have that laughed out of the equation as ridiculous. 

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #1112 on: October 24, 2019, 04:52:32 PM »
He won't sue because if he had a contract the whole thing has already been discussed, and the Astros lawyers would have gone over everything already to make sure their asses are covered. I love it when the tort reform crowd yells "sue the bastards" when one of their own is affected.

Lawyers often think things are covered, doesn’t mean other lawyers on the opposite side think differently.   Lawyers agreeing with each other??  LOL

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1113 on: October 24, 2019, 04:58:43 PM »
The predicted response...by the way, I have no idea the person’s age, ethnicity, sexual preference, etc, but will take your word for it.

I’m guessing a large parting gift his heading his way, or a lawsuit will come from him especially based on the GM’a comments yesterday about intent.  Easier for them to part ways with him, pay him off or pay in the end.

Brandon Taubman.  Definitely sounds like a latina woman to me!  Not to mention his picture has been connected to almost every article about it.  Way to add in age and sexual preference to make extra sure you show how "unbiased" and naive you are to it all, you're speaking just to generalities of the poor scapegoat here, naturally.

Maybe the bracelet matters cause she wasn't just a woman.  She was a woman who had reported on the Osauna domestic violence issues and was involved enough with the cause that she wears a bracelet in support.  Aka he knew his target.  If you made a crack about cancer to someone wearing a Livestrong bracelet because they had lost a parent to cancer and you knew it, that speaks to a more targeted action than "i made a broad comment, sorry to offend".

Hope you send him an edible arrangement to show your support.  Its more trendy than flowers these days!

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #1114 on: October 24, 2019, 05:17:43 PM »
Waiting for Chico to defend the racist, white supremicist umpire who has threatened to murder people who disagree with him.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #1115 on: October 24, 2019, 05:23:20 PM »
Brandon Taubman.  Definitely sounds like a latina woman to me!  Not to mention his picture has been connected to almost every article about it.  Way to add in age and sexual preference to make extra sure you show how "unbiased" and naive you are to it all, you're speaking just to generalities of the poor scapegoat here, naturally.

Maybe the bracelet matters cause she wasn't just a woman.  She was a woman who had reported on the Osauna domestic violence issues and was involved enough with the cause that she wears a bracelet in support.  Aka he knew his target.  If you made a crack about cancer to someone wearing a Livestrong bracelet because they had lost a parent to cancer and you knew it, that speaks to a more targeted action than "i made a broad comment, sorry to offend".

Hope you send him an edible arrangement to show your support.  Its more trendy than flowers these days!

I hear fruits and plants are hurt when they are eaten, so I will avoid that damage to Mother Nature.

The GM’s comments yesterday are going to go in his favor, unless they found something else.  I think if you read my initial response you will also notice i presented both sides...someone in particular decided the club was lying because that’s his default response.  He had no idea then and not now, but again that is his default.  I provided the other side of the story, something journalists used to do.  Happy to oblige and provide the missing pieces from the “lying” club, etc.

« Last Edit: October 24, 2019, 05:27:57 PM by Cheeks »

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #1116 on: October 24, 2019, 05:24:14 PM »
Waiting for Chico to defend the racist, white supremicist umpire who has threatened to murder people who disagree with him.

BrandX doesn’t want me to respond to him, but puts a message out like this.  And he says I have psychological issues.  LOL.

Wish I knew what you were talking about with your reference above.  Sorry, I don’t.  Maybe you can provide a link or back story.  Thanks.

« Last Edit: October 24, 2019, 05:26:35 PM by Cheeks »

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #1117 on: October 24, 2019, 05:43:46 PM »
Just so everybody's clear, what Cheeks is doing here has nothing to do with Brandon Taubman, Brandon Taubman's race or gender, or anything Brandon Taubman did.
This is just about Cheeks' pathological inability to admit when he's wrong or back down one centimeter from whatever recent hot take he's offered.
Imagine your ego being that fragile and you might just conjure up some empathy for the man.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #1118 on: October 24, 2019, 05:46:57 PM »
I hear fruits and plants are hurt when they are eaten, so I will avoid that damage to Mother Nature.

The GM’s comments yesterday are going to go in his favor, unless they found something else.  I think if you read my initial response you will also notice i presented both sides...someone in particular decided the club was lying because that’s his default response.  He had no idea then and not now, but again that is his default.  I provided the other side of the story, something journalists used to do.  Happy to oblige and provide the missing pieces from the “lying” club, etc.

the guy knew who he was yelling at.  Why say that about a guy who blew the save just a few minutes prior (and was shaky in previous playoff outings) without having a reason behind it.

According to three eyewitnesses interviewed by NPR, Taubman appeared to be responding to the presence of a female reporter who was wearing a purple rubber bracelet to heighten awareness about domestic violence.

That reporter has tweeted repeatedly about the issue over the years. Taubman complained last year that some of the reporter's informational tweets — promoting domestic violence hotline telephone numbers, for example — appeared moments after Osuna entered several Astros games in relief.

https://www.npr.org/2019/10/22/772368868/astros-executives-rant-at-reporters-draws-firestorm-on-eve-of-series
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1119 on: October 24, 2019, 05:50:45 PM »
Just so everybody's clear, what Cheeks is doing here has nothing to do with Brandon Taubman, Brandon Taubman's race or gender, or anything Brandon Taubman did.
This is just about Cheeks' pathological inability to admit when he's wrong or back down one centimeter from whatever recent hot take he's offered.
Imagine your ego being that fragile and you might just conjure up some empathy for the man.

Exactly.  A rich white male whose team traded for a guy serving a suspension for domestic violence, who was considered damaged goods because of said domestic violence, sees a female reporter who had written and Tweeted about the Astros and their trading for a player who beats women and has complained about her Tweeting about domestic violence just happens to see this reporter, along with 2 other female reporters, standing near, but not even addressing, said wife beater, and starts screaming about how "phucking happy" he is to have this wife beater on his team...immediately after the wife beater had blown a 2 run lead in the 9th inning.  But it was all coincidental, there was no intent behind it, let's not draw conclusions about the guy.  Heck, even the Astros themselves say relax, we don't know the intent.

Then when the Astros fire the guy a day later, Cheeks yells "SUE!"

Lol.

What a freaking nut.  Defend the guy defending a wife beater over admitting he had something wrong.  Truly unbelievable, but this is a guy who will just make a new username to defend himself.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #1120 on: October 24, 2019, 07:01:55 PM »
BrandX doesn’t want me to respond to him, but puts a message out like this.  And he says I have psychological issues.  LOL.

Wish I knew what you were talking about with your reference above.  Sorry, I don’t.  Maybe you can provide a link or back story.  Thanks.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/27913518/mlb-looking-long-umpire-rob-drake-tweet

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #1121 on: October 24, 2019, 07:15:39 PM »
Anyone else think its a bit funny that the domestic abuser still has a job, but the guy that yelled about it doesn't?

edit: Not saying they shouldn't have fired him.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #1122 on: October 24, 2019, 07:18:58 PM »
Anyone else think its a bit funny that the domestic abuser still has a job, but the guy that yelled about it doesn't?

edit: Not saying they shouldn't have fired him.

Domestic abuser who throws upper 90s is more valuable to an MLB franchise than a dime-a-dozen Ivy leaguer who fancies himself the next Theo Epstein.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #1123 on: October 24, 2019, 07:38:45 PM »
In the "and now for something completely different" category...

MLB is preparing to hear Kris Bryant's service time manipulation grievance against the Cubs.  This could have tremendous implications for MLB.  Personally, I hope Bryant wins, and it blows up the service time games. 

• All American
« Reply #1124 on: October 24, 2019, 07:42:41 PM »
I don't know.  It's pretty hard to determine when it is manipulation, when it is legit, and when it is a little of both.

What needs to happen is a little more clarification in the CBA.  Players should get shorter service time to free agency too but that's not likely going to happen.