[Today at 10:20:49 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 07:00:37 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MU82
[May 03, 2024, 05:21:12 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by Hards Alumni
[May 03, 2024, 02:02:49 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Real MLB Thread  (Read 188256 times)

cheebs09

• All American
Re: Real MLB Thread
« Reply #1025 on: October 21, 2019, 08:54:28 AM »
I could be wrong, but I think it is probably not good when your manager has a history as being one of the guys on the team where he is now managing those guys.

Craig Counsell made the transition pretty well.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #1026 on: October 21, 2019, 11:34:55 AM »
Craig Counsell made the transition pretty well.
Team had pretty much completely turned over (Lucroy, Braun, Gomez maybe?) from his last player season until he took over as manager, no?
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #1027 on: October 21, 2019, 11:56:18 AM »
It is only the 3rd decade in franchise history that the New York Yankees will not be World Series Champions.

They did not win one in 1910's. They did not win one in the 1980’s. They also did not win one in the 2010 decade.
Technically, its four decades since they did not appear in or win one in the 1900's (which had 6 World Series).  They did not play in the World Series in the 2010's, which makes it the first decade they did not appear in the World Series since the 1910s.  Despite not appearing in the World Series, they had the most wins in MLB in those 10 years, with 921.  The Dodgers, another team that did not win the World Series in the decade, was a close second with 919.

They are really consistent.  They've had the most wins in the AL every decade since the 1920s with the exception of the 1960s and 1970s, when they were second to Baltimore.  Besides the 1960s and 1970s, the only other decade they did not lead the majors in wins since the 1920s was the 1940s, when the Cardinals did (mostly due the Cards dominance during WW2).

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #1028 on: October 21, 2019, 02:54:59 PM »
Technically, its four decades since they did not appear in or win one in the 1900's (which had 6 World Series).  They did not play in the World Series in the 2010's, which makes it the first decade they did not appear in the World Series since the 1910s.  Despite not appearing in the World Series, they had the most wins in MLB in those 10 years, with 921.  The Dodgers, another team that did not win the World Series in the decade, was a close second with 919.

They are really consistent.  They've had the most wins in the AL every decade since the 1920s with the exception of the 1960s and 1970s, when they were second to Baltimore.  Besides the 1960s and 1970s, the only other decade they did not lead the majors in wins since the 1920s was the 1940s, when the Cardinals did (mostly due the Cards dominance during WW2).

Technically as I'm sure you know, they began as the New York Yankees in 1913. Hence why I said Yankees from that time to present.

(Prior to that they were the New York Highlanders and Baltimore Orioles at the beginning of that century.)

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #1029 on: October 21, 2019, 03:03:04 PM »
Technically as I'm sure you know, they began as the New York Yankees in 1913. Hence why I said Yankees from that time to present.

(Prior to that they were the New York Highlanders and Baltimore Orioles at the beginning of that century.)
Fair enough.  Franchise is a Franchise to me, but you are right.

My overall point was that as much as I hate them, their consistency is admirable.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #1030 on: October 21, 2019, 03:25:10 PM »
Fair enough.  Franchise is a Franchise to me, but you are right.

My overall point was that as much as I hate them, their consistency is admirable.

Fair enough. Part of my reference was also because the average person might not know about the previous team names/identities. All three at least were in New York, as opposed to...say...the Dodgers. Would you separate those or keep the same. I'm a bit less quick to say the same for that as I would the Yankees franchise.

The Cardinals for example began as the in 1881 and they won 4 championships prior to the team being renamed the Cardinals in 1900. Then of course they won 11 more titles, 19 pennants and so on. Many don't discuss the 4 in the 1800's.

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #1031 on: October 21, 2019, 07:43:51 PM »
Originally,  in 1901, for one year, they were  the MILWAUKEE BREWERS.....then for over 50 years the St Louis Browns....and ever since....the Baltimore Orioles

I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #1032 on: October 21, 2019, 07:54:46 PM »
It is only the 3rd decade in franchise history that the New York Yankees will not be World Series Champions.

They did not win one in 1910's. They did not win one in the 1980’s. They also did not win one in the 2010 decade.

They spent $2billion this decade..most

Won the most games in decade

Went to playoffs more than any other team

But no Ships. 
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #1033 on: October 21, 2019, 09:42:37 PM »
They spent $2billion this decade..most

Won the most games in decade

Went to playoffs more than any other team

But no Ships.

crapshoot, ai'na?

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1034 on: October 21, 2019, 10:46:25 PM »
https://mlb.nbcsports.com/2019/10/17/report-yankees-fans-taunted-zack-greinke-about-his-mother-battles-with-anxiety-and-depression/?fbclid=IwAR0teU_tZPFIjQb4SYP5Y7cPlrttAge216coGOXVnhJOU72Jf-WqhsbLNjs

I'm all for sports fans having some fun at the expense of an opposing team's on field play. We should be past making fun of mental health issues in this country by now. Just when you start thinking "What is wrong with people, go Astros" you get this...

https://www.si.com/mlb/2019/10/22/houston-astros-roberto-osuna-suspension?fbclid=IwAR2AS3NpK9law5Ze89YtmAj2hcdkkwZpgbeN9hVHUXFZqejzuoWDiAxpJT0

Seriously, what the flying eff?
« Last Edit: October 21, 2019, 10:56:32 PM by wadesworld »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #1035 on: October 21, 2019, 10:51:49 PM »
https://mlb.nbcsports.com/…/report-yankees-fans-taunted-za…/

I'm all for sports fans having some fun at the expense of an opposing team's on field play. We should be past making fun of mental health issues in this country by now. Just when you start thinking "What is wrong with people, go Astros" you get this...

https://www.si.com/…/houston-astros-roberto-osuna-suspension

Probably an ex assistant GM by now. What an absolute tool.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #1036 on: October 22, 2019, 12:36:28 AM »
Probably an ex assistant GM by now. What an absolute tool.

Doubt it.  The Astros have shown they don't care.  They even threw out a fan with a sign because it had a domestic abuse support hotline number on it. 

Go Nats.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #1037 on: October 22, 2019, 01:25:24 AM »
crapshoot, ai'na?

Not as much as ncaa basketball, but as I showed you months ago with data...it is up there.  Ncaa hoops 1st, Hockey 2nd, baseball third, NFL 4th, and NBA the most predictive.

"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1038 on: October 22, 2019, 08:33:32 AM »
https://mlb.nbcsports.com/2019/10/17/report-yankees-fans-taunted-zack-greinke-about-his-mother-battles-with-anxiety-and-depression/?fbclid=IwAR0teU_tZPFIjQb4SYP5Y7cPlrttAge216coGOXVnhJOU72Jf-WqhsbLNjs

https://www.si.com/mlb/2019/10/22/houston-astros-roberto-osuna-suspension?fbclid=IwAR2AS3NpK9law5Ze89YtmAj2hcdkkwZpgbeN9hVHUXFZqejzuoWDiAxpJT0

Yeah, I read that earlier today. What a d-bag. And his organization, after supporting a woman-beater, now lying in his defense.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #1039 on: October 22, 2019, 08:37:40 AM »
Yeah, I read that earlier today. What a d-bag. And his organization, after supporting a woman-beater, now lying in his defense.
He was the first comparison I thought of, but I don't think Charles played with the same sort of violent explosiveness as Zion.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #1040 on: October 22, 2019, 08:39:54 AM »

For those merely taking MU82’s word for it, on whether the team is lying or not, which he wasn’t there but of course of course the journalists are always right....here was the response by the team....who is right, who is wrong...no idea....but this was their response....decide for yourself.

The Astros statement read, "The story posted by Sports Illustrated is misleading and completely irresponsible. An Astros player was being asked questions about a difficult outing. Our executive was supporting the player during a difficult time. His comments had everything to do about the game situation that just occurred and nothing else -- they were also not directed toward any specific reporters. We are extremely disappointed in Sports Illustrated's attempt to fabricate a story where one does not exist."

Other reporters backing SI.  Trying to provide full picture here.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2019, 08:44:19 AM by Cheeks »

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1041 on: October 22, 2019, 08:45:54 AM »
For those merely taking MU82’s word for it, on whether the team is lying or not, which he wasn’t there but of course of course the journalists are always right....here was the response by the team....who is right, who is wrong...no idea....but this was their response....decide for yourself.

The Astros statement read, "The story posted by Sports Illustrated is misleading and completely irresponsible. An Astros player was being asked questions about a difficult outing. Our executive was supporting the player during a difficult time. His comments had everything to do about the game situation that just occurred and nothing else -- they were also not directed toward any specific reporters. We are extremely disappointed in Sports Illustrated's attempt to fabricate a story where one does not exist."

So let's pretend the Astros are 100% truthful in this situation and it played out exactly as they state.

1) Your player is so self centered that he's so down on himself after his team hit a walk-off home run to send themselves to the World Series that the assistant GM needed to step in and defend the player?
2) Is that the proper way to step in and support your player?  "I'm so happy we have Osuna.  So phucking happy!"  A half dozen times?  Trying to intimidate the reporters?  There doesn't seem much for reporters to mislead about.  The assistant GM was acting like an assclown and that's what was reported.  There's a reason the Astros did not make him available for comment.
3) Even if you find nothing wrong with numbers 1 and 2, there's probably a much better way to word it than to blame Sports Illustrated for "fabricat[ing] a story where one doesn't exist."  Maybe something along the lines of, "We disagree with how the Sports Illustrated article describes the situation and our assistant general manager was supporting a pitcher who had a difficult outing.  We apologize for any discomfort that resulted in what was an attempt to keep the player's spirits high" (as he's celebrating winning a pennant).
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #1042 on: October 22, 2019, 09:31:56 AM »
Yeah, we Yankee fans are crying crocodile tears that we didn't make the World Series this decade. From 1921 to 1962 we won nearly every other World Series. Since 1921 we have been in the post season more than half the time.

On an another note:

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/yankees-domingo-german-wont-pitch-again-in-2019-following-domestic-violence-ban-report-says/

If he pitched, the AL championship outcome could have been different, but the Yanks did the right thing.

If the yanks can get some decent starting pitching, not great just decent, in the off season we could be looking at #28.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1043 on: October 22, 2019, 09:39:16 AM »
Yeah, we Yankee fans are crying crocodile tears that we didn't make the World Series this decade. From 1921 to 1962 we won nearly every other World Series. Since 1921 we have been in the post season more than half the time.

On an another note:

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/yankees-domingo-german-wont-pitch-again-in-2019-following-domestic-violence-ban-report-says/

If he pitched, the AL championship outcome could have been different, but the Yanks did the right thing.

If the yanks can get some decent starting pitching, not great just decent, in the off season we could be looking at #28.

That was only 47-26 years before I was born.  Very relatable.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1044 on: October 22, 2019, 09:39:46 AM »
So let's pretend the Astros are 100% truthful in this situation and it played out exactly as they state.

1) Your player is so self centered that he's so down on himself after his team hit a walk-off home run to send themselves to the World Series that the assistant GM needed to step in and defend the player?
2) Is that the proper way to step in and support your player?  "I'm so happy we have Osuna.  So phucking happy!"  A half dozen times?  Trying to intimidate the reporters?  There doesn't seem much for reporters to mislead about.  The assistant GM was acting like an assclown and that's what was reported.  There's a reason the Astros did not make him available for comment.
3) Even if you find nothing wrong with numbers 1 and 2, there's probably a much better way to word it than to blame Sports Illustrated for "fabricat[ing] a story where one doesn't exist."  Maybe something along the lines of, "We disagree with how the Sports Illustrated article describes the situation and our assistant general manager was supporting a pitcher who had a difficult outing.  We apologize for any discomfort that resulted in what was an attempt to keep the player's spirits high" (as he's celebrating winning a pennant).

Yep.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #1045 on: October 22, 2019, 09:48:24 AM »
What is more of a believable story:

1. The reporters are "attempting to fabricate a story," at this point in time.  And enlisted other reporters to verify it.  Or...

2. The Astros exec, elated by the victory and possibly slightly under the influence of something, uses this opportunity to direct his frustration at reporters about the Osuna situation.

I'm going to believe #2 pretty much every time.  Because it usually ends up being accurate.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1046 on: October 22, 2019, 12:46:32 PM »
That was only 47-26 years before I was born.  Very relatable.

I was in NYC all weekend.  There was an argument between some HS kids about baseball and one kept saying "27 rings baby, 27 rings"...as if he was alive for 26 of them, and probably has hazy memories of the last one.

Chirping about a franchise's per-internet success as a trump card is a pretty good indicator that recent history has not been to your liking.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #1047 on: October 22, 2019, 02:32:11 PM »
What is more of a believable story:

1. The reporters are "attempting to fabricate a story," at this point in time.  And enlisted other reporters to verify it.  Or...

2. The Astros exec, elated by the victory and possibly slightly under the influence of something, uses this opportunity to direct his frustration at reporters about the Osuna situation.

I'm going to believe #2 pretty much every time.  Because it usually ends up being accurate.

Yes, it couldn’t be a middle ground where intent matters and people jump to conclusions of what was meant and misinterpreted in today’s society...nope, that cannot be it.  I mean when has that ever happened...cough..cough.

Here was his response today...intent matters....for some, for others it never does and autoguilty.

“This past Saturday, during our clubhouse celebration, I used inappropriate language for which I am deeply sorry and embarrassed. In retrospect, I realize that my comments were unprofessional and inappropriate. My overexuberance in support of a player has been misrepresented as a demonstration of a regressive attitude about an important social issue. Those that know me know that I am a progressive member of the community, and a loving and committed husband and father. I hope that those who do know me understand that the Sports Illustrated article does not reflect who I am or my values. I am sorry if anyone was offended by my actions."

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #1048 on: October 22, 2019, 02:34:29 PM »
Yes, it couldn’t be a middle ground where intent matters and people jump to conclusions of what was meant and misinterpreted in today’s society...nope, that cannot be it.  I mean when has that ever happened...cough..cough.

Here was his response today...intent matters....for some, for others it never does and autoguilty.

“This past Saturday, during our clubhouse celebration, I used inappropriate language for which I am deeply sorry and embarrassed. In retrospect, I realize that my comments were unprofessional and inappropriate. My overexuberance in support of a player has been misrepresented as a demonstration of a regressive attitude about an important social issue. Those that know me know that I am a progressive member of the community, and a loving and committed husband and father. I hope that those who do know me understand that the Sports Illustrated article does not reflect who I am or my values. I am sorry if anyone was offended by my actions."

This portion of the "apology" is a pile of horsesh*t:

My overexuberance in support of a player has been misrepresented as a demonstration of a regressive attitude about an important social issue. Those that know me know that I am a progressive member of the community, and a loving and committed husband and father. I hope that those who do know me understand that the Sports Illustrated article does not reflect who I am or my values. I am sorry if anyone was offended by my actions.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1049 on: October 22, 2019, 03:00:54 PM »

He's only "so phucking happy" that the Astros have Osuna, hey?  Seems very...odd.  If I were the assistant GM I'd be "very phucking happy" I had Correa...and Altuve...and Cole...and Verlander...and Greinke...and Bregman...

Weird.

feedback