[Today at 01:57:07 PM]

Most Painful Transfers In MUBB History? by Jay Bee
[Today at 10:20:49 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 07:00:37 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MU82
[May 03, 2024, 05:21:12 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Real MLB Thread  (Read 188245 times)

CTWarrior

• All American
Re: Real MLB Thread
« Reply #900 on: October 10, 2019, 07:32:51 AM »
I wonder what Dodgers fans think of Clayton Kershaw.  As great as he has been in his career, he has come up small in a ton of big spots in the postseason.

As good as Roger Clemens was in his prime with the Red Sox, Red Sox fans never had confidence in him pitch well in a big postseason game.  I only know one big Dodgers fan, and he feels the same way about Kershaw.  Going into this series, he told me he was glad they didn't start him in game 1, so he'd only have a chance to blow one game.

Cheeks, is that the feeling in LA?
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #901 on: October 10, 2019, 09:01:59 AM »
Give me the all-Montreal series. Ex-Expos vs. Future Expos.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #902 on: October 10, 2019, 10:14:41 AM »
Give me the all-Montreal series. Ex-Expos vs. Future Expos.

OK, I like that one! A lot.

Aint gonna happen but it's a hilarious thought!

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #903 on: October 10, 2019, 11:04:46 AM »
I wonder what Dodgers fans think of Clayton Kershaw.  As great as he has been in his career, he has come up small in a ton of big spots in the postseason.

As good as Roger Clemens was in his prime with the Red Sox, Red Sox fans never had confidence in him pitch well in a big postseason game.  I only know one big Dodgers fan, and he feels the same way about Kershaw.  Going into this series, he told me he was glad they didn't start him in game 1, so he'd only have a chance to blow one game.

Clemons only pitched good in the postseason in pinstripes.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #904 on: October 10, 2019, 02:20:49 PM »
Good morning Cub Fans. And assorted other fans as well.

It's a great day in the neighborhood.

How many of you on June 15th would have predicted the NLCS would begin in St. Louis and include the Washington Nationals?

And that the Cubs would be hibernating and the Dodgers would be thinking about firing their manager?

Give the Cardinals a lot of credit. They played well in the second half of the season. And their pitching is young and, well, really good. The biggest questions: Can they hit and will Carlos Martinez become the latter day version of Joaquin Andjuar?

In the meantime, this is fun because it was soooooo unexpected!

We are all at Murphy's drinking to avian flu and Davey Martinez.

As to unexpected, PECOTA was pretty close in February on the Cubs. Good luck. Don't fall off your perch. 

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #905 on: October 10, 2019, 03:02:36 PM »
https://sports.yahoo.com/people-want-answers-after-bay-area-tv-station-uses-racist-headline-to-cover-braves-nlds-loss-033047397.html

I saw the headline, and I immediately thought this was going to be some TV station from either the deep south or Madison.  But seriously?  KTVU... as in the Bay Area's own KTVU... as in the Bay Area of San Francisco/San Jose/Oakland.

How TF did someone in California - in San Francisco, no less - get it through their head that this was a clever idea?  Nothing like a few brownouts to bring out the cultural insensitivity in people, I guess.

(Of course, I ask this rhetorically... my guess is the producer that put this graphic up isn't your stereotypical racist white male; although I could be wrong, methinks were about to get a Jameela Jamil-style "I had no idea/didn't study American History" excuse within the next day or two.)
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #906 on: October 10, 2019, 03:37:02 PM »
Good morning Cub Fans. And assorted other fans as well.

It's a great day in the neighborhood.

How many of you on June 15th would have predicted the NLCS would begin in St. Louis and include the Washington Nationals?

And that the Cubs would be hibernating and the Dodgers would be thinking about firing their manager?

Give the Cardinals a lot of credit. They played well in the second half of the season. And their pitching is young and, well, really good. The biggest questions: Can they hit and will Carlos Martinez become the latter day version of Joaquin Andjuar?

In the meantime, this is fun because it was soooooo unexpected!

Completely on brand.

MUBBau

• Team Captain
« Reply #907 on: October 10, 2019, 03:42:04 PM »
https://sports.yahoo.com/people-want-answers-after-bay-area-tv-station-uses-racist-headline-to-cover-braves-nlds-loss-033047397.html

I saw the headline, and I immediately thought this was going to be some TV station from either the deep south or Madison.  But seriously?  KTVU... as in the Bay Area's own KTVU... as in the Bay Area of San Francisco/San Jose/Oakland.

How TF did someone in California - in San Francisco, no less - get it through their head that this was a clever idea?  Nothing like a few brownouts to bring out the cultural insensitivity in people, I guess.

(Of course, I ask this rhetorically... my guess is the producer that put this graphic up isn't your stereotypical racist white male; although I could be wrong, methinks were about to get a Jameela Jamil-style "I had no idea/didn't study American History" excuse within the next day or two.)

Not the first time this news station has done something like this.

https://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/matier-ross/article/KTVU-producers-fired-over-Asiana-pilots-fake-4685627.php

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #908 on: October 10, 2019, 03:44:19 PM »

Gaming reference? (Teal Train]

https://runescape.wiki/w/Wyrm_scalp

tower912

• All American
« Reply #909 on: October 10, 2019, 03:45:35 PM »
There are no restrictions on stupid.   Not location, gender, ethnicity, political affiliation.   This is stupid.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #910 on: October 10, 2019, 03:50:58 PM »
There are no restrictions on stupid.   Not location, gender, ethnicity, political affiliation.   This is stupid.

Right?  Shockingly to some, liberal coastal residents can be just as racist as backwoods, rural gun toting Southerners can be tolerant and accepting.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #911 on: October 10, 2019, 04:27:24 PM »
Probably get less of that if they dropped the native imagery.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
« Reply #912 on: October 10, 2019, 05:18:42 PM »

On June 15, the Cubs were tied for 1st with the Brewers, and 3.5 games in front of the Cardinals.  Many, many predicted the Cards would be ahead of the Cubs.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #913 on: October 10, 2019, 06:20:25 PM »

It has been a crazy day here today.  Much of the town is sad for Kershaw, but a healthy dose are angry.  They are spending a lot on him, but he continues to struggle in big games.  The morning sports shows were teeing off on him. 

But mostly they were attacking Roberts for putting him into the situation in the first place.  I would say 70% to 80% of calls want Roberts gone after the last few years decisions coupled with last night’s loss.

Mike Scioscia back in the fold?  Joe Maddon? 
« Last Edit: October 10, 2019, 06:23:07 PM by Cheeks »
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #914 on: October 10, 2019, 06:22:27 PM »
Probably get less of that if they dropped the native imagery.

Why, native Americans overwhelmingly support the imagery.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #915 on: October 10, 2019, 06:45:40 PM »
I don’t know why pitching Verlander on short rest is a mistake. You have Cole waiting to go game 5. I would do the same thing. You’re more likely to win one of the next 2 games when the pitchers are Verlander (even on short rest) and Cole vs. going Miley and Verlander with Cole available out of the pen. I think it was the smart move.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #916 on: October 10, 2019, 07:11:53 PM »
Right?  Shockingly to some, liberal coastal residents can be just as racist as backwoods, rural gun toting Southerners can be tolerant and accepting.

It can be causal or correlation, but still, there’s a big difference between racist and stupid.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #917 on: October 10, 2019, 10:10:15 PM »

Just to add a bit of humor ...

https://crooksandliars.com/2019/10/georgia-republicans-blame-baseball-loss

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #920 on: October 11, 2019, 09:15:00 AM »
I saw Rob Arthur's tweet explanation before I read the article, but he presents some really convincing evidence that MLB is using an "unjuiced" baseball for the playoffs - https://www.baseballprospectus.com/news/article/54306/moonshot-the-rocket-ball-has-disappeared-in-october/

Manfred's response, which can't really be taken at more than face value at this point on the baseball issue, seems to deny the ball is different but does leave some wiggle room to change his position later imho:
The baseballs used in Major League Baseball are manufactured in batches. Balls that are used in the Postseason are pulled from the same batches as balls used in the regular season. Regular season and Postseason balls are manufactured with the same materials and under the same processes. The only difference is the Postseason stamp that is placed on the ball. As has been previously acknowledged, however, the drag of the baseball can very over different time periods.

Of course the small playoff sample size will always make this impossible to prove, but what a mess.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #921 on: October 11, 2019, 09:17:14 AM »
They aren't really similar whatsoever, actually.

Oh sure they are.  Both related to baseball.  Both showing how stupid people can be from both sides.  Lots of similarities. 

Have a great day.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #922 on: October 11, 2019, 09:19:16 AM »
I saw Rob Arthur's tweet explanation before I read the article, but he presents some really convincing evidence that MLB is using an "unjuiced" baseball for the playoffs - https://www.baseballprospectus.com/news/article/54306/moonshot-the-rocket-ball-has-disappeared-in-october/

Manfred's response, which can't really be taken at more than face value at this point on the baseball issue, seems to deny the ball is different but does leave some wiggle room to change his position later imho:
Of course the small playoff sample size will always make this impossible to prove, but what a mess.

Playoffs will have better teams with better pitching.  Weather starts to cool down and balls don’t travel as far then in the heat.  Lots of variables, but I would add those two to the discussion.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #923 on: October 11, 2019, 09:47:23 AM »
Ball didnt look dead last for Brantley and Altuve.  Especially Altuve, that dude is an amazing batter.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #924 on: October 11, 2019, 09:56:06 AM »

I’ll ignore the “deep” responses to your post.

But AAA pitchers noticed that the ball chaned in August - both the texture and the height of the seams. The belief that the ball has been deadened is based on evidence of the distance a ball should normally travel when hit at a particular angle at a particular speed. Not because there are better pitchers come playoff time. That is a given.