[Today at 10:20:49 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 07:00:37 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MU82
[May 03, 2024, 05:21:12 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by Hards Alumni
[May 03, 2024, 02:02:49 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Real MLB Thread  (Read 188252 times)

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
Re: Real MLB Thread
« Reply #825 on: October 03, 2019, 01:56:32 PM »
In Game 7 of the 2001 World Series, a Diamondback was HBP to load the bases with one out before Luis Gonzalez hit the blooper off Mariano Rivera to win it.  The HBP could have hit the knob--but before video replay--the ump awarded the batter his base and the matter quickly moved on.

The Diamondback who was hit, of course, was Craig Counsell.

If it hit Counsell's bat, the pitch was 2 feet above his head.   ;D

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #826 on: October 03, 2019, 03:21:14 PM »
After last night 9 straights losses in winner-take-all postseason games for the A's since 2002.  Last night on the broadcast they mentioned that their two season total of 194 wins was the most in MLB history for a team that did not win a league or division in either year.  Then they got snuffed out easily both times in the playoffs.

Should be an excellent postseason this year, with 4 100+ win teams, and the balance with 97, 96, 93 and 91 wins.  That is solid mix of good to great teams.

Something tells me this will be the Dodgers year, though I think the Astros are the most well-rounded (and best) team.  I'll be rooting for a Nats-Rays series.  With nothing left to root for (I was on the Brewers bandwagon for 9 whole innings), I'd like to see a team who hasn't won before win one.  The Yankees, Astros and Cardinals each have won in the last 10 years, so will be rooting against them.

But really and always, please anybody but the Yankees!
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #827 on: October 03, 2019, 04:29:03 PM »
After last night 9 straights losses in winner-take-all postseason games for the A's since 2002.  Last night on the broadcast they mentioned that their two season total of 194 wins was the most in MLB history for a team that did not win a league or division in either year.  Then they got snuffed out easily both times in the playoffs.

Should be an excellent postseason this year, with 4 100+ win teams, and the balance with 97, 96, 93 and 91 wins.  That is solid mix of good to great teams.

Something tells me this will be the Dodgers year, though I think the Astros are the most well-rounded (and best) team.  I'll be rooting for a Nats-Rays series.  With nothing left to root for (I was on the Brewers bandwagon for 9 whole innings), I'd like to see a team who hasn't won before win one.  The Yankees, Astros and Cardinals each have won in the last 10 years, so will be rooting against them.

But really and always, please anybody but the Yankees!

I'm in no way disappointed the Ray's won, but I would have loved to see the A's advance.  I love to watch that team and wish they got to play a bit more.  I would have loved a series with the Rays.

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
« Reply #828 on: October 03, 2019, 04:43:24 PM »
I'm rooting for Nats vs. Twins.

Which means it'll probably be Dodgers vs. Yankees.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #829 on: October 05, 2019, 04:35:25 PM »
nm
« Last Edit: October 06, 2019, 08:56:07 AM by MU82 »
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #830 on: October 05, 2019, 04:43:01 PM »
Does an actual Cherokee Indian, who also happens to pitch for the Cardinals, have a "right" to be offended by Braves fans doing the chop (with the team actively urging on those fans by playing the accompanying music)?

https://www.stltoday.com/sports/baseball/professional/birdland/cards-helsley-a-member-of-cherokee-nation-calls-chop-chant/article_4150156e-89ae-5e55-8e0d-7936eeef8ded.html

Should the Braves care if Ryan Helsley and other Indians are offended? After all, in the past, teams have hidden behind polls that have shown that most Indians theoretically don't care about this stuff.

I could give all kinds of "what-ifs" -- what if they were the Atlanta Catholics and fans were encouraged to depict priests raping little boys -- but really, there is no such equivalent. Same with blacks or Jews or whatever. So I guess it's just A-OK that even in 2019 Indians are allowed to be mocked as scalpin' savages even if it offends 20% or 30% or whatever % of them?

Seriously, find another way to cry out for attention.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #831 on: October 05, 2019, 05:33:47 PM »
Wow, the Yankees continue to just down the Twins in the playoffs.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #832 on: October 05, 2019, 07:15:20 PM »
Does an actual Cherokee Indian, who also happens to pitch for the Cardinals, have a "right" to be offended by Braves fans doing the chop (with the team actively urging on those fans by playing the accompanying music)?

https://www.stltoday.com/sports/baseball/professional/birdland/cards-helsley-a-member-of-cherokee-nation-calls-chop-chant/article_4150156e-89ae-5e55-8e0d-7936eeef8ded.html

Should the Braves care if Ryan Helsley and other Indians are offended? After all, in the past, teams have hidden behind polls that have shown that most Indians theoretically don't care about this stuff.

I could give all kinds of "what-ifs" -- what if they were the Atlanta Catholics and fans were encouraged to depict priests raping little boys -- but really, there is no such equivalent. Same with blacks or Jews or whatever. So I guess it's just A-OK that even in 2019 Indians are allowed to be mocked as scalpin' savages even if it offends 20% or 30% or whatever % of them?

You threw out a poll the other day and because you said a majority of folks approved it, that’s all that matters.  Now you argue the exact opposite as polls overwhelmingly show this kind of thing is a nothing burger.

So which is it....do polls matter or only matter for the stuff you decide it matters for?
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #833 on: October 05, 2019, 10:45:51 PM »
This FS1 broadcast is great.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #834 on: October 06, 2019, 06:26:20 AM »

You threw out a poll the other day and because you said a majority of folks approved it, that’s all that matters.  Now you argue the exact opposite as polls overwhelmingly show this kind of thing is a nothing burger.

So which is it....do polls matter or only matter for the stuff you decide it matters for?

Any of us could ask the same question of your cherry-picking of polls you choose to embrace and ignore.

I'm talking about a real Indian who really pitches in the majors being really offended by the Atlanta Scalpin' Savages imagery. I happen to think this one doesn't need a poll, but others are allowed to disagree.

Seriously, find another way to cry out for attention.

Well, it is an actual situation that is very much in the news.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #835 on: October 06, 2019, 08:36:46 AM »

The situation is sure.  Your editorializing wasn't.

And it seems pretty obvious that you just threw it out to start a fight with Chico's. And a fight you've had a million times at that.

Don't you two have enough threads in which to fight?
« Last Edit: October 06, 2019, 08:39:11 AM by buckchuckler »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #836 on: October 06, 2019, 08:58:55 AM »
The situation is sure.  Your editorializing wasn't.

And it seems pretty obvious that you just threw it out to start a fight with Chico's. And a fight you've had a million times at that.

Don't you two have enough threads in which to fight?

Editorializing? It was an opinion. We all have them -- even you, buck.

This is an interesting topic that many have discussed. I was going to promise not to respond to anything hoopaloop says about it ... but after reflection, given what you have said, I instead have decided to delete my comment.

I don't want to muck up the MLB thread. It can be another conversation for another day in a different thread.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend, my friend.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #837 on: October 06, 2019, 09:14:05 AM »
Any of us could ask the same question of your cherry-picking of polls you choose to embrace and ignore.

I'm talking about a real Indian who really pitches in the majors being really offended by the Atlanta Scalpin' Savages imagery. I happen to think this one doesn't need a poll, but others are allowed to disagree.

Why of course you move the goalposts and have a different standard.  And when “real Indians” (Your words) say Indian mascots, names, etc are ok in polling, interviews, etc, we ignore those b3cause they don’t align with your views...got it.  So the real Indian matters when you want it to matter, but their views don’t matter when you don’t want it to matter.  How awesome is that!!!  I can think of a faux Indian we could ask the question that no doubt would give you the answer and support you want.

Hell, even the mechanical sponsorship cows are in on it

https://youtu.be/F2K5VftaByU
« Last Edit: October 06, 2019, 09:21:01 AM by Cheeks »
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #838 on: October 06, 2019, 11:25:22 AM »
If Nationals can get deep with their starting pitching, they have a shot to know off Los Angeles.  Their bullpen is not good, but Scherzer tonight gives them an excellent chance to move up 2-1.
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #839 on: October 06, 2019, 12:30:36 PM »
If Nationals can get deep with their starting pitching, they have a shot to know off Los Angeles.  Their bullpen is not good, but Scherzer tonight gives them an excellent chance to move up 2-1.

Max Scherzer isn’t pitching tonight

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
« Reply #840 on: October 06, 2019, 02:33:28 PM »
This FS1 broadcast is great.
Both Pierzynski and Girardi name-drop a lot.  Who cares if Adam Dunn or a retired umpire is texting you?

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #841 on: October 06, 2019, 09:21:46 PM »
Both Pierzynski and Girardi name-drop a lot.  Who cares if Adam Dunn or a retired umpire is texting you?

Cheeks does!

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #842 on: October 06, 2019, 09:27:48 PM »
Cheeks does!

I want you to know how much I admire and love you.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #843 on: October 06, 2019, 09:34:52 PM »
Max Scherzer isn’t pitching tonight

I love what you did there.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #844 on: October 08, 2019, 10:53:31 AM »
The Yankees have some sort of crazy voodoo over the Twins.

Including the playoffs, since 2002 the Twins are 37-103 (.264 43-119 over 162 game season pace) against the Yankees, including 2-16 in the postseason (losing all five playoff series and one wild card game).

When not playing the Yankees the Twins have a winning record over that time, with a 1,443 - 1,365 record, including the postseason (.514  83-79 pace).

Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
« Reply #845 on: October 08, 2019, 12:17:41 PM »
The Twins went 47-16 against the White Sox, Royals, Tigers, and Orioles en route to their 101 win season. I was rooting for them, but they would've probably been a fourth place team in the AL East or NL Central., and had no chance against the Yankees.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #846 on: October 08, 2019, 01:51:30 PM »
https://mobile.twitter.com/SouthsideZo/status/1181353567195668480?s=19

The Cardinal Way. The unwritten rule book the Cards wrote allow for this.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #847 on: October 08, 2019, 02:38:18 PM »
https://mobile.twitter.com/SouthsideZo/status/1181353567195668480?s=19

The Cardinal Way. The unwritten rule book the Cards wrote allow for this.

Molina is such a massive hypocrite, cause he'd have a conniption of this was done to them.  Speaking of, has anyone check to see if Brian McCann is alive?  I imagine he must have spontaneously combusted.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #848 on: October 08, 2019, 02:46:18 PM »
Molina is such a massive hypocrite, cause he'd have a conniption of this was done to them.  Speaking of, has anyone check to see if Brian McCann is alive?  I imagine he must have spontaneously combusted.

I thought the same when I saw it.

That being said, I really, really like and respect Yadier Molina. He's been a hell of a ballplayer and a gamer for nearly two decades now.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #849 on: October 08, 2019, 03:21:33 PM »
I thought the same when I saw it.

That being said, I really, really like and respect Yadier Molina. He's been a hell of a ballplayer and a gamer for nearly two decades now.

I would never say like or respect, other than respect for his ability as a player.  He's an incredible catcher and has been a consistent force for a long time.  But he's also been a magnificent tool and outright douche for most of those years as well.  Beloved by Cardinals fans, but reviled otherwise in my experience.

feedback