[Today at 10:20:49 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 07:00:37 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MU82
[May 03, 2024, 05:21:12 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by Hards Alumni
[May 03, 2024, 02:02:49 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Real MLB Thread  (Read 188260 times)

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
Re: Real MLB Thread
« Reply #775 on: October 01, 2019, 09:59:28 PM »
Hader for 2 innings terrifies me

I’ve said that many times.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #776 on: October 01, 2019, 10:08:02 PM »
Doggone it. Was rootin' for the Crew.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #777 on: October 01, 2019, 10:08:10 PM »
Hey he didn’t have to pitch 2 innings ai’nna?
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #778 on: October 01, 2019, 10:13:03 PM »
Doggone it. Was rootin' for the Crew.

Can you give us a detailed analysis on how the Crew lost their last four games?

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #779 on: October 01, 2019, 10:13:22 PM »
Rookies have been awful today.  Experience matters

Yeah.  Two runs are scoring there.  Just make the right decision and go from there.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #780 on: October 01, 2019, 10:17:41 PM »
All kidding aside, I hate these one game playoffs after 162 games.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #781 on: October 01, 2019, 10:19:00 PM »
All kidding aside, I hate these one game playoffs after 162 games.

True, but Brewers at home already without it.

That hit by pitch call is going to sting. But Hader wasn’t even close on a lot of pitches.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #782 on: October 01, 2019, 10:24:26 PM »
Hader for 2 innings terrifies me

Shoulda kept Pomeranz in for one more inning. 

Sigh.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #783 on: October 01, 2019, 10:34:04 PM »
Can you give us a detailed analysis on how the Crew lost their last four games?

No, but I was thinking about my favorite Gary Gaetti quote when Grisham muffed that play:

"It's hard to field the ball when you have both hands around your throat."

fielder Trent Grisham. 4-3 Nats

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #784 on: October 02, 2019, 05:51:25 AM »
No, but I was thinking about my favorite Gary Gaetti quote when Grisham muffed that play:

"It's hard to field the ball when you have both hands around your throat."

fielder Trent Grisham. 4-3 Nats

Really? Not the HBP that was a foul ball? How about the Zimmerman single? How about Gamel’s flyout in the 9th had the same exit velocity as the Soto single?

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #785 on: October 02, 2019, 06:54:53 AM »
Really? Not the HBP that was a foul ball? How about the Zimmerman single? How about Gamel’s flyout in the 9th had the same exit velocity as the Soto single?

You thought the ball hit the bat first?  I thought it hit hand first, or maybe simultaneously.  Some people see it differently.

https://twitter.com/zachsilver/status/1179226630943846400
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #786 on: October 02, 2019, 07:38:11 AM »
Blaming Grisham is wrong. The dude was in AA much of the year and not on the 40 man.  And he was a key contributor to an awesome September run.

The Crew, and notably Hader, ran out of gas.  I had given them a one in three chance to win last night.  Personally I'd have given Pom one more inning but I'm not going to second guess Couns.

See you next Spring.  They're positioned for long term success.

• All American
« Reply #787 on: October 02, 2019, 07:56:38 AM »
If I was to guess, the ball hit the bat first and should have been a foul ball.  But I don't think they had enough evidence to overturn.  I don't mind it not being overturned.  Hader should have never gotten into that position.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #788 on: October 02, 2019, 08:15:31 AM »
I don't mind the HBP call, even if it hit the bat.   That's a bogus deal .. 95 mph ball comes at you and by accident hits a piece of wood before skin?  Take your base.

Hader was bad.  In a normal game, you let that pitcher try to settle down because he's your guy.  In a sudden-death game ...after his 10th crappy pitch you yank him, hope someone else can get an out.

That being said .. there was a tweet last night:  Josh Hader faced 66 LH hitters this year. He gave up a single to one of them.  He hadn’t allowed 2 singles in the same appearance since May 27.

Warrior2008

• Starter
« Reply #789 on: October 02, 2019, 09:01:06 AM »
You thought the ball hit the bat first?  I thought it hit hand first, or maybe simultaneously.  Some people see it differently.

https://twitter.com/zachsilver/status/1179226630943846400

Brewers lost the game because Hader couldn't locate pitches, but that absolutely hit the bat first.  One if someone takes a 99 mph fastball off the wrist, they are usually writhing in pain.  Taylor just ran to first like nothing happened and stayed in the game.  And two, the ball jumps up after hitting the bat/wrist and nearly hits him in the face.  If it hit his wrist first, there is no way the ball jumps at that velocity and at that direction. 

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #790 on: October 02, 2019, 09:15:30 AM »
Brewers lost the game because Hader couldn't locate pitches, but that absolutely hit the bat first.  One if someone takes a 99 mph fastball off the wrist, they are usually writhing in pain.  Taylor just ran to first like nothing happened and stayed in the game.  And two, the ball jumps up after hitting the bat/wrist and nearly hits him in the face.  If it hit his wrist first, there is no way the ball jumps at that velocity and at that direction.

Maybe, but I don’t see how anyone can say absolutely or clearly.  Look how many people in that twitter link alone see it differently...some say bat, some say hand.  Could be some optical illusions going on.

First, I don’t think it hit the wrist, but the fatty tissue at the bottom of the hand.  As for the ball jumping up, in my view it was hand, bat, jumps up to face.  Not sure any of us have physics degrees to determine how much kinetic energy is absorbed at that moment and where the ball goes...we’re talking about a round ball hitting tissue and a round knob, predicting where it goes is anyone’s guess.  I can understand both points of view, but just don’t see how it is clear as a bell with so many people disagreeing.

"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #791 on: October 02, 2019, 09:22:28 AM »
You could tell by the vibration of the bat in his hands that the pitch hit the bat first.  A Hader fastball to the hand is a broken 5th metacarpal.

Robles had stronger reactions than Taylor did.   ;D

But. End of the day, Hader didnt have it, the Brewers were getting some lucky ball strike calls when pitching and the Nats grindes one out.  It was a great baseball game to watch.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #792 on: October 02, 2019, 09:32:42 AM »
Brewers’ fans: It hit the bat first.
Everyone else in America: It hit the wrist first.

Sheriff

• Starter
« Reply #793 on: October 02, 2019, 09:39:44 AM »
Blaming Grisham is wrong. The dude was in AA much of the year and not on the 40 man.  And he was a key contributor to an awesome September run.

The Crew, and notably Hader, ran out of gas.  I had given them a one in three chance to win last night.  Personally I'd have given Pom one more inning but I'm not going to second guess Couns.

Be careful.  I've heard Cub fans talk like this.

TeamOh

• Walk-On
« Reply #794 on: October 02, 2019, 09:42:53 AM »
Brewers’ fans: It hit the bat first.
Everyone else in America: It hit the wrist first.

more like:

brewers fans: It hit the bat first.
cubs and cardinals fans: take the blue and gold glasses off it clearly hit only his hand (which is clearly the only alternative given that it wouldn't hit the hand and bounce DOWN into the bat to then bounce UP to hit him in the shoulder). given the sound of the play this clearly isnt what happened.
everyone else in america: it hit the bat first but you certainly cant say theres clear, concise, indisputable video evidence so how it was called, either way, has to stand.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #795 on: October 02, 2019, 09:47:20 AM »
I don't mind the HBP call, even if it hit the bat.   That's a bogus deal .. 95 mph ball comes at you and by accident hits a piece of wood before skin?  Take your base.

Hader was bad.  In a normal game, you let that pitcher try to settle down because he's your guy.  In a sudden-death game ...after his 10th crappy pitch you yank him, hope someone else can get an out.

That being said .. there was a tweet last night:  Josh Hader faced 66 LH hitters this year. He gave up a single to one of them.  He hadn’t allowed 2 singles in the same appearance since May 27.

This is pretty much how I feel all around. Even if it did hit the bat first, having it called a hbp isn't going to keep me up at night. It'd be like having a stolen base overturned on replay due to an overslide or something.  In my messed up brain of equities, he effectively hit him, just like if you beat the throw you're effectively safe.

As for the suggestions that Pomeranz throw another inning, was that a possibility? I know that sounds dumb for a guy that was starting games in July, but he hadn't thrown more than 27 pitches since August 7, and he was at 30 at the end of the 7th. I know its the playoffs, but I wonder if CC didn't think he could be effective past 30.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #796 on: October 02, 2019, 09:49:05 AM »
Be careful.  I've heard Cub fans talk like this.

For the Brewers, "long term success" is different than "we have a dynasty that is going to win multiple World Series titles" like Cubs fans thought in 2016.  The Brewers didn't make a single Playoffs in my first 20 years of life.  They've been there 4 times in the last 10 years, including each of the last 2.  They should be able to compete for a spot in the Playoffs for the next 3 years with Yelich, Hiura, Woodruff, and Hader to build around, so long as Yelich takes his time and gets back to fully healthy.  That's not a common injury in baseball so you just never know.

Woodruff has me the most excited.  Getting a true ace is the hardest thing for a small market team to do.  I think he's on his way to just that.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MU82

• All American
« Reply #797 on: October 02, 2019, 09:51:03 AM »

I wasn't "blaming" Grisham for anything. I simply thought of the Gaetti quote and it made me chuckle.

There were many, many reasons the Brewers lost the game; Grisham's error was just one of them, and not close the biggest one. Mostly, had Hader been anywhere near his best, the Brewers would have won. And even that: Just as Grisham had helped the Crew get to the playoffs, obviously they don't sniff the WC game without Hader. That doesn't mean he was blameless last night, though.

Gaetti admitted he choked in the 1984 game that produced his quote. After Kerry Wood lost Game 7 against the Marlins in 2003, he said: "I choked. That's the bottom line - I choked." And, to his credit, Grisham admitted that he felt the pressure of the situation last night (though he didn't think the pressure had contributed to the error).

It happens. I wasn't making a statement about the Brewers' season, Grisham's contribution to it, Grisham's character, etc.

CreightonWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #798 on: October 02, 2019, 09:51:43 AM »
Maybe, but I don’t see how anyone can say absolutely or clearly.  Look how many people in that twitter link alone see it differently...some say bat, some say hand.  Could be some optical illusions going on.

First, I don’t think it hit the wrist, but the fatty tissue at the bottom of the hand.  As for the ball jumping up, in my view it was hand, bat, jumps up to face.  Not sure any of us have physics degrees to determine how much kinetic energy is absorbed at that moment and where the ball goes...we’re talking about a round ball hitting tissue and a round knob, predicting where it goes is anyone’s guess.  I can understand both points of view, but just don’t see how it is clear as a bell with so many people disagreeing.
everyone on twitter is looking at it on a 6 inch phone screen. If you didn't see it on TV then there's no point debating. You watching it on a normal tv screen with better resolution and size and it unquestionably hit the bat first. You can also hear it when they replayed the audio on tv.

That being said, I'm not surprised they didn't overturn it.

• All American
« Reply #799 on: October 02, 2019, 10:08:10 AM »
everyone on twitter is looking at it on a 6 inch phone screen. If you didn't see it on TV then there's no point debating. You watching it on a normal tv screen with better resolution and size and it unquestionably hit the bat first. You can also hear it when they replayed the audio on tv.

That being said, I'm not surprised they didn't overturn it.

I watched on my television and it was hardly unquestionable.