[Today at 10:20:49 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 07:00:37 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MU82
[May 03, 2024, 05:21:12 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by Hards Alumni
[May 03, 2024, 02:02:49 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Real MLB Thread  (Read 188256 times)

MUDPT

• All American
Re: Real MLB Thread
« Reply #700 on: September 28, 2019, 06:13:27 AM »
Brewers play any of their regulars last night?

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
« Reply #701 on: September 28, 2019, 02:45:38 PM »
I'm rooting for the Brewers in the NL, and either the A's or Twins in the AL.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #702 on: September 28, 2019, 02:47:32 PM »
Anybody but the Doyers
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
« Reply #703 on: September 28, 2019, 03:12:51 PM »
Anybody but the Doyers
I'm sick of watching LAD.
Ditto for HOU.
I've never liked ATL, including the 90's teams that kept losing to the American League.
Tampa Bay doesn't deserve nice things.
I hate the St. Louis Cardinals with every fiber of my being.

I don't mind NYY, and it would also be interesting to see how dominant WSH's pitching could be.
But, the best stories, in my opinion, are Milwaukee facing either the A's or Twins.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #704 on: September 28, 2019, 03:16:43 PM »
I hate the St. Louis Cardinals with every fiber of my being.

You don't know what you are missing. This is a good franchise and the team made great strides this year!

MU82

• All American
« Reply #705 on: September 28, 2019, 07:53:05 PM »
This happens more often than people realize:

Cubbies, who choked away the season, relax when games get meaningless and take a good team behind the woodshed.

For example, Ian Happ batted .164 with a .530 OPS from 8/18 to 9/20. Batting .450 with a 1.526 OPS since Cubbies peed down their legs. Cardinals can't get him out.

Can Crew take advantage? They're having their own problems in Colorado.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #706 on: September 28, 2019, 08:10:21 PM »

If they could win tonight and tie-up the division it would make for a helluva awesome finish on Sunday.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #707 on: September 28, 2019, 09:29:37 PM »
And Lo Cain catches da ball, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #708 on: September 28, 2019, 10:10:54 PM »

Cubbies, who choked away the season, relax when games get meaningless and take a good team behind the woodshed.

For example, Ian Happ batted .164 with a .530 OPS from 8/18 to 9/20. Batting .450 with a 1.526 OPS since Cubbies peed down their legs. Cardinals can't get him out.

Helps to have consistent playing time too.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #709 on: September 28, 2019, 10:11:13 PM »
Oooffff...

One out away.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #710 on: September 28, 2019, 10:28:36 PM »

This happens more then people realize: Teams with the best run differential in the division, tend to progress to the mean. So when they lose 5 one run games in a row, it eventually turns the other way and they win.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #711 on: September 28, 2019, 10:42:55 PM »
This happens more then people realize: Teams with the best run differential in the division, tend to progress to the mean. So when they lose 5 one run games in a row, it eventually turns the other way and they win.

Sure.

Also easier to swing the bat when you're not grinding it into sawdust, and easier to pitch the ball when it doesn't matter one whit whether you win or lose.

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #712 on: September 29, 2019, 06:51:22 AM »
Sure.

Also easier to swing the bat when you're not grinding it into sawdust, and easier to pitch the ball when it doesn't matter one whit whether you win or lose.

Curious if you watched any of the Cubs Cards series last weekend?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #713 on: September 29, 2019, 09:32:41 AM »
Curious if you watched any of the Cubs Cards series last weekend?

Only a few innings live. Saw the highlights each night, read articles/columns, looked at the box scores, talked to my son who watched them all.

Of course, the choke job started way before that.

On Aug. 8, Cubs were 63-52 and led Mil by 3.5 and StL by 4. In less than a month, they had fallen well out of first place ... but after beating Milwaukee in the opener of a 4-game series on Sept. 5, they were 76-63 and FIVE games ahead of the Brewers with 23 games to play.

They then lost the next 3 games to the Brewers, saving Milwaukee's season and starting their own official death spiral.

At first, it was a slo-mo spiral, as they were helped by getting to play the Pirates in the midst of their doldrums to stay ahead of the Brewers. On Sept. 16, they were still clinging to a 1-game lead for the wild-card spot. They then lost 2 at home to the Reds, all 4 at home to the Cardinals and 3 to a Pittsburgh team that had started mailing it in months ago.

So they went from a 5-game lead over the Brewers on Sept. 5 to a 7-game deficit to the Brewers in a matter of 21 days. This despite the Brewers having to play without the league MVP.

That's impressive choking even by Cubbian standards!

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #714 on: September 29, 2019, 10:32:06 AM »
Only a few innings live. Saw the highlights each night, read articles/columns, looked at the box scores, talked to my son who watched them all.

On Aug. 8, Cubs were 63-52 and led Mil by 3.5 and StL by 4. In less than a month, they had fallen well out of first place ... but after beating Milwaukee in the opener of a 4-game series on Sept. 5, they were 76-63 and FIVE games ahead of the Brewers with 23 games to play.

They then lost the next 3 games to the Brewers, saving Milwaukee's season and starting their own official death spiral.

At first, it was a slo-mo spiral, as they were helped by getting to play the Pirates in the midst of their doldrums to stay ahead of the Brewers. On Sept. 16, they were still clinging to a 1-game lead for the wild-card spot. They then lost 2 at home to the Reds, all 4 at home to the Cardinals and 3 to a Pittsburgh team that had started mailing it in months ago.

So they went from a 5-game lead over the Brewers on Sept. 5 to a 7-game deficit to the Brewers in a matter of 21 days. This despite the Brewers having to play without the league MVP.

Davidsonesque

"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #715 on: September 29, 2019, 10:40:03 AM »

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #716 on: September 29, 2019, 11:08:06 AM »
   erasing a 7 1/2 game lead since september 5th or something(20-6) is a wow factor in and of itself.  kind of like the gotta believe mets of '69 who went from being 10 games down as of august to going 38-11 the rest of the way.  brewers have to win and cards lose to force a one game divisional playoff in st louis.  loser goes to washington for another one game series.  winner goes to atlanta

probably without cain as he looks a little bruised up and yellich of course.  what the hell happened to jeremy jeffress and travis shaw??
don't...don't don't don't don't

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #717 on: September 29, 2019, 11:26:21 AM »
Should Joe start his injured regulars today, or will the Brewers choke up another hairball? For all the talk here still about the Cubs choking, they have done their job handing the Brewers the division, but the Crew has been too preoccupied with Dr. Heimlich.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #718 on: September 29, 2019, 11:34:48 AM »
Should Joe start his injured regulars today, or will the Brewers choke up another hairball? For all the talk here still about the Cubs choking, they have done their job handing the Brewers the division, but the Crew has been too preoccupied with Dr. Heimlich.

I’ll take 21-6 in September over whatever the Cubs went that’s for sure.

And 8-2 over their last 10 games over the 2-8 the Cubs are.

Would’ve been nice to close out the season on a 10 game winning streak. Hard to expect that though.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2019, 11:40:00 AM by wadesworld »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Sheriff

• Starter
« Reply #719 on: September 29, 2019, 11:48:29 AM »

This opinion would be more convincing had the Cubs not lost >40% of their offensive output and essentially their entire starting infield due to injuries in September

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #720 on: September 29, 2019, 11:57:50 AM »
This opinion would be more convincing had the Cubs not lost >40% of their offensive output and essentially their entire starting infield due to injuries in September

Brewers fans feel so bad for you and are glad they cannot relate.

Oh wait...
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #721 on: September 29, 2019, 12:07:33 PM »
Maddon gone.

CreightonWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #722 on: September 29, 2019, 12:07:54 PM »
Let’s hope the cubbies can win one more for their skipper. So long Maddon

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #723 on: September 29, 2019, 12:16:15 PM »

Were any Brewer fans that upset with what the Cubs were doing? I think the only upset Brewer fans I saw were about Maddon’s comments. Which I agree were out of line, but I haven’t seen how the question was phrased to him.

Sheriff

• Starter
« Reply #724 on: September 29, 2019, 12:46:10 PM »
Brewers fans feel so bad for you and are glad they cannot relate.

Oh wait...

Not speaking on behalf of the Cubs nor their fans, so no sympathy needed from Brewer fans.

I'm sure Cubs fans can relate to what happened to the Blew Crew last night.