[Today at 10:20:49 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 07:00:37 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MU82
[May 03, 2024, 05:21:12 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by Hards Alumni
[May 03, 2024, 02:02:49 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Real MLB Thread  (Read 188256 times)

CTWarrior

• All American
Re: Real MLB Thread
« Reply #650 on: September 25, 2019, 11:52:35 AM »
Red Sox left Eduardo Rodriguez in yesterday when he just didn't have it to allow 7 runs in 5 innings (He had a ERA of 1 over his previous 7 starts and 2.20 over his previous 15) so he could get his 19th win with a shot at 20 Sunday at home against the Orioles.  They are out of contention and took a chance on losing (they ended up holding on 12-10, so he got his win) to help a guy go for a statistical milestone.  Reminds me of the old days when they would sit a guy to keep a .300 average or move him up in the lineup to get a shot at 40 HRs or 100 Rs or 100 RBIs or something.  I actually liked it.  What do you guys think?
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #651 on: September 25, 2019, 11:52:47 AM »
Brewers run differential is finally at 0!
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #652 on: September 25, 2019, 12:16:54 PM »
The AL Wildcard race is fantastic.  Five days left, and one game separates three teams seeking two spots.

OAK     94-63     +0.5
TB     94-64     -
CLE      93-64      0.5

Should be interesting.  I really hope the Indians get one of those spots.  Getting Ramirez back last night (with 2HR/7RBI in his return game) was a nice boost.

Great race, and three fun teams too. Kind of too bad one of them has to miss out.

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #653 on: September 25, 2019, 12:34:32 PM »
Red Sox left Eduardo Rodriguez in yesterday when he just didn't have it to allow 7 runs in 5 innings (He had a ERA of 1 over his previous 7 starts and 2.20 over his previous 15) so he could get his 19th win with a shot at 20 Sunday at home against the Orioles.  They are out of contention and took a chance on losing (they ended up holding on 12-10, so he got his win) to help a guy go for a statistical milestone.  Reminds me of the old days when they would sit a guy to keep a .300 average or move him up in the lineup to get a shot at 40 HRs or 100 Rs or 100 RBIs or something.  I actually liked it.  What do you guys think?

In this case, I like it.  Gives Red Sox and baseball fans in general a reason to follow his last start against Baltimore on Sunday, a contest that would otherwise be meaningless. 

Not a fan of guys sitting out to protect their batting averages, though, especially when it involves a batting title.  It’s a weak move and deprives the fans who paid for tickets a chance to see a good player.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #654 on: September 25, 2019, 12:45:53 PM »
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

• All American
« Reply #655 on: September 25, 2019, 12:46:27 PM »
Keeping a guy in the game after throwing 110+ pitches, and giving up seven earned runs, just so he can reach the magic 5 inning mark pretty much shows what a useless stat "wins" are.

But it's all in good fun, and there is no harm done, so go for it!
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MU82

• All American
« Reply #656 on: September 25, 2019, 02:54:47 PM »
Back in 1988, the Twins had a pitcher named Allan Anderson. He won the AL ERA title by a fraction over the Brewers' Eddie Higuera, and he did so by sitting out his last start to protect his stats.

In private, Tom Kelly told people it was a sign of mental weakness, and a few players said the same. Anderson had another good (but not as good) season in 1989 but followed that with two bad seasons and never pitched again in the major leagues.

But I guess he'll always be able to tell his kids and grandkids that he once won the ERA title over a darn good field -- the next 4 were Higuera, Frank Viola, Mark Gubicza and Roger Clemens. Dave Stieb and Dave Stewart were also in the top 10 that season.

Viola went 24-7 with a 2.64 ERA and won the Cy Young Award. The Twins actually had a much better regular season that season than they did the year before (when they won a weak AL West and went on to win their first championship) but they finished behind the powerhouse A's -- who were starting their steroid-fueled run of success.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #657 on: September 25, 2019, 03:29:50 PM »
Back in 1988, the Twins had a pitcher named Allan Anderson. He won the AL ERA title by a fraction over the Brewers' Eddie Higuera, and he did so by sitting out his last start to protect his stats.

In private, Tom Kelly told people it was a sign of mental weakness, and a few players said the same. Anderson had another good (but not as good) season in 1989 but followed that with two bad seasons and never pitched again in the major leagues.

But I guess he'll always be able to tell his kids and grandkids that he once won the ERA title over a darn good field -- the next 4 were Higuera, Frank Viola, Mark Gubicza and Roger Clemens. Dave Stieb and Dave Stewart were also in the top 10 that season.

Viola went 24-7 with a 2.64 ERA and won the Cy Young Award. The Twins actually had a much better regular season that season than they did the year before (when they won a weak AL West and went on to win their first championship) but they finished behind the powerhouse A's -- who were starting their steroid-fueled run of success.

Even more interesting, on either side of that ERA title, the Twins won a World Series with him on the roster, and he didn't pitch in the playoffs during either run.  Truly a strange one season wonder

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #658 on: September 25, 2019, 04:21:41 PM »

I moved to So. St. Paul for a job right before the '87 playoffs. I recall trying to pay with my credit card for a new muffler @ Car-X the day playoff tickets went on sale. It took over an hour for them to run my card because of all the playoff sales jamming the CC approvals. Wish I could have paid with cash vs. CC that day!

I also remember the Corvette convertibles catching fire during the Twins ticker tape parade lol.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #659 on: September 25, 2019, 06:40:04 PM »
Cards lose again!  'Hey Chicago whadda say?  The Cubs are going to win today.  Go Cubs Go!'  (all weekend  ;D

#Crew

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #660 on: September 25, 2019, 07:23:02 PM »
Time for the Cubs to do their jobs.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #661 on: September 25, 2019, 07:37:37 PM »

Feel a 3 game winning streak coming up for the cubbies.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #662 on: September 25, 2019, 08:03:26 PM »
For those interested, top 5th inning of Sox game, tune in if you want to see my fat face on tv.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #663 on: September 25, 2019, 08:45:31 PM »
#playoffs #Crew  :)

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #664 on: September 25, 2019, 08:52:49 PM »
For those interested, top 5th inning of Sox game, tune in if you want to see my fat face on tv.

What face do we get to see if we tune in the top of the 8th?
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #665 on: September 25, 2019, 09:30:56 PM »
Didn't think I'd get to use this for the Brewers this year

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #666 on: September 25, 2019, 10:02:28 PM »
Didn't think I'd get to use this for the Brewers this year

Me either.  A very very .500 team loses their MVP candidate and then rattles off 17 wins in 19 games?  Wow.

C'mon Cubs, time to wakie, wakie now.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #667 on: September 25, 2019, 10:20:59 PM »
Me either.  A very very .500 team loses their MVP candidate and then rattles off 17 wins in 19 games?  Wow.

That clinches it: Yelich is the NL LVP!

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #668 on: September 26, 2019, 12:25:33 AM »
What face do we get to see if we tune in the top of the 8th?

I ended up getting to call a home run on a major league broadcast, that was pretty cool!

I told Benetti after the game, his job appears safe.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #669 on: September 26, 2019, 12:53:09 AM »

Yeah.....

They’ve shown a lot of heart the last week or so.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #670 on: September 26, 2019, 08:23:57 AM »

Cubbies' response: zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
« Reply #671 on: September 26, 2019, 08:28:36 AM »
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
« Reply #672 on: September 26, 2019, 08:29:53 AM »
-Bill Walton

• All American
« Reply #673 on: September 26, 2019, 08:37:49 AM »
I love how the Reds' two-bit pitcher plunked Braun the next AB after his grand slam.  So predictable and dumb.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #674 on: September 26, 2019, 11:41:44 AM »
I love how the Reds' two-bit pitcher plunked Braun the next AB after his grand slam.  So predictable and dumb.

TGFIB(tm) would approve of this action.

feedback