[Today at 10:20:49 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 07:00:37 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MU82
[May 03, 2024, 05:21:12 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by Hards Alumni
[May 03, 2024, 02:02:49 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Real MLB Thread  (Read 188260 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: Real MLB Thread
« Reply #500 on: September 18, 2019, 12:25:33 PM »
To be fair, they'd just won 5 straight against bad teams. Sucks in the moment, but I'll take 5 out of 6. No Rizzo, no Javy, and KB has never been able to figure out Sonny Gray.

Reasonable take, drew. Even good teams can't win every game.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #501 on: September 18, 2019, 12:33:06 PM »
I can't help but think about how the Brewers play and roster construction will change next year when the rosters don't expand to 40 in September. Counsell is one of the most creative managers and best at using all of his depth. I get why they're doing it, but it's a hit to how the Brewers were successful these past two years

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #502 on: September 18, 2019, 12:35:49 PM »
I can't help but think about how the Brewers play and roster construction will change next year when the rosters don't expand to 40 in September. Counsell is one of the most creative managers and best at using all of his depth. I get why they're doing it, but it's a hit to how the Brewers were successful these past two years

If Couns can pull off the September charge again next season WITHOUT the 40-man roster, then I'll be really impressed.  Right now, he is just taking advantage of the system.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #503 on: September 18, 2019, 12:45:58 PM »
Everybody is using the same system though.  Counsell is a smart, adaptable guy.  Stearns seems like he knows what he's doing.  They'll have a plan.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #504 on: September 18, 2019, 01:22:10 PM »
Right. He's been fine this year.  All star, of course not.

Changing the subject.  Remember all the wailing and gnashing of teeth over Stearns' trade deadline acquisitions?  Yeah, he's damn good.

Meh - for me, Pomeranz being very good for 20 innings doesn't automatically make that a great trade. IMO Ray Black vs Dubon is the real metric of how that trade should be graded, with Pomeranz's performance these last two months as a sort of tiebreaker on steroids. And the Black/Dubon judgment gets an incomplete right now.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #505 on: September 18, 2019, 04:02:40 PM »
Gray has had a very good season.  A great bounce back.  The Reds look good in that trade/ extension.

Sonny Gray is good.  The Vandy grad made his 32nd consecutive major league start last night giving up 6 runs or less. It is a new MLB record surpassing Nolan Ryan.

Also the list of pitchers with most consecutive starts with 4 runs or less:

Cincinnati Reds pitchers all time with:

Most Consecutive starts Allowing 4 or fewer Runs for Reds (since at least 1908)
1972-75 Gary Nolan 37
1992-93 Jose Rijo 33
1990-91 Jose Rijo 32
2019 Sonny Gray 30
1967-68 Gary Nolan 30

Gray wasn’t a great fit in New York. But he’s been good in Oakland and Cincinnati.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #506 on: September 18, 2019, 04:25:51 PM »
Sonny Gray is good.  The Vandy grad made his 32nd consecutive major league start last night giving up 6 runs or less. It is a new MLB record surpassing Nolan Ryan.

1972-75 Gary Nolan 37
1992-93 Jose Rijo 33
1990-91 Jose Rijo 32
2019 Sonny Gray 30
1967-68 Gary Nolan 30

Gray wasn’t a great fit in New York. But he’s been good in Oakland and Cincinnati.

Gray has been very good in Oakland and Cincy. I don't think stats like you gave really mean much though since usage of pitchers is so much different that it was years ago. Just a guess, but I would bet Rijo and Nolan pitched a lot more innings when they had their streaks.

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #507 on: September 18, 2019, 05:22:41 PM »

1972-75 Gary Nolan 37
1992-93 Jose Rijo 33
1990-91 Jose Rijo 32
2019 Sonny Gray 30
1967-68 Gary Nolan 30

Help me: you said .... his 32nd consecutive major league start last night giving up 6 runs or less. It is a new MLB record surpassing Nolan Ryan.

It would seem that is not an MLB record ...its not even a Reds club record, right?

...Most Consecutive starts Allowing 4 or fewer Runs for Reds (since at least 1908)
1972-75 Gary Nolan 37...
Please explain
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #508 on: September 18, 2019, 05:39:40 PM »
Meh - for me, Pomeranz being very good for 20 innings doesn't automatically make that a great trade. IMO Ray Black vs Dubon is the real metric of how that trade should be graded, with Pomeranz's performance these last two months as a sort of tiebreaker on steroids. And the Black/Dubon judgment gets an incomplete right now.

Lyles for a bag o balls, Faria for Aggie who was on the cusp of a DFA if his salary wasn't so low, Pomeranz and Black for Dubon, a blocked middle infielder. That's pretty damn good in my mind.  Without at least 2 of those guys the Crew wouldn't be on the brink.  Plus I love the potential.  Pitching isn't the horrible weakness is was only 60 days ago, even if only for the moment.  That works for me.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #509 on: September 18, 2019, 05:57:15 PM »
Help me: you said .... his 32nd consecutive major league start last night giving up 6 runs or less. It is a new MLB record surpassing Nolan Ryan.

It would seem that is not an MLB record ...its not even a Reds club record, right?

...Most Consecutive starts Allowing 4 or fewer Runs for Reds (since at least 1908)
1972-75 Gary Nolan 37...
Please explain

Whoops typo my bad. I meant HITS .....6 HITS not runs...and that is the reason for the confusion with the other run stat on my mind as well.

The MLB record Gray broke was 32 straight starts 6 hits or less. He was previously tied with Nolan Ryan.

The other Reds 4 runs or less stat/list is correct.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2019, 06:03:47 PM by shoothoops »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #510 on: September 18, 2019, 11:57:06 PM »
To be fair, they'd just won 5 straight against bad teams. Sucks in the moment, but I'll take 5 out of 6. No Rizzo, no Javy, and KB has never been able to figure out Sonny Gray.

Well, now it's 2 home losses in a row to the Reds.

I was thinking about 2 weeks ago that if the Cardinals can take a 3-game lead into these last 10 games of the season, they would be in great shape. Go 4-3 against the Cubs, and they all but wrap up the division. Go 3-4 and they'll all but wrap up the wild card and will still have a great shot at the division (depending upon what Brewers do). And with a 3-game lead, even going 2-5 wouldn't be disastrous for the Cardinals (though it obviously wouldn't be good).

We all thought this last stretch would be interesting, and we ended up not being wrong.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #511 on: September 19, 2019, 08:55:30 AM »
Whoops typo my bad. I meant HITS .....6 HITS not runs...and that is the reason for the confusion with the other run stat on my mind as well.

The MLB record Gray broke was 32 straight starts 6 hits or less. He was previously tied with Nolan Ryan.

I would guess there is a significant difference in innings pitched over those 32 starts.

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #512 on: September 19, 2019, 09:01:26 AM »

Burn it to the ground.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #513 on: September 19, 2019, 09:09:51 AM »
I would guess there is a significant difference in innings pitched over those 32 starts.

It’s just for fun. Baseball, similar to any sport, cannot really definitely compare eras, records, etc...because all players cannot play in all eras. And of course, circumstances are different in different eras. You can get a pretty good idea of better and best within a similar era.

Interestingly enough, Sonny Gray’s streak is 179.2 innings. Nolan Ryan? 178. Ryan was older when he did it (44) and he was pitching less innings. It’s difficult to do. .....Take strikeouts for example, if some pitchers pitched more innings in the past, some of those have less K’s per inning, compared to some of the modern era.

The overall point is that Gray is a pretty good pitcher and has been at multiple stops over periods of time.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #514 on: September 19, 2019, 09:49:10 AM »

I was thinking about 2 weeks ago that if the Cardinals can take a 3-game lead into these last 10 games of the season, they would be in great shape. Go 4-3 against the Cubs, and they all but wrap up the division. Go 3-4 and they'll all but wrap up the wild card and will still have a great shot at the division (depending upon what Brewers do). And with a 3-game lead, even going 2-5 wouldn't be disastrous for the Cardinals (though it obviously wouldn't be good).

We all thought this last stretch would be interesting, and we ended up not being wrong.

Very interesting indeed.  I honestly have no idea who to cheer for from the Crew's perspective.  I suppose that's good.  Just go out and win as many as possible.  Everything else will take care of itself.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #515 on: September 19, 2019, 10:34:46 AM »
It’s just for fun. Baseball, similar to any sport, cannot really definitely compare eras, records, etc...because all players cannot play in all eras. And of course, circumstances are different in different eras. You can get a pretty good idea of better and best within a similar era.

Interestingly enough, Sonny Gray’s streak is 179.2 innings. Nolan Ryan? 178. Ryan was older when he did it (44) and he was pitching less innings. It’s difficult to do. .....Take strikeouts for example, if some pitchers pitched more innings in the past, some of those have less K’s per inning, compared to some of the modern era.

The overall point is that Gray is a pretty good pitcher and has been at multiple stops over periods of time.

You first point is certainly true.

Your second is very surprising,  obviously I would have guessed Ryan far out paced Sonny.

Your overall point is something with which I agree.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #516 on: September 19, 2019, 11:48:38 AM »
It's possible the Cards, Cubs and Brewers all end up in the post season.

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #517 on: September 19, 2019, 12:00:10 PM »

Wow Six hits or less in every start over a season of starts is a great record I saw Nolan pitch many times He battled each hitter like no other Almost irrespective of game situations he would either strike you out or walk you but he never pitched to contact That Sonny is in the same mention is a real credit to his craft
Thanks for clarifying and yes Sonny Gray is very good
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #518 on: September 19, 2019, 12:38:57 PM »
Very interesting indeed.  I honestly have no idea who to cheer for from the Crew's perspective.  I suppose that's good.  Just go out and win as many as possible.  Everything else will take care of itself.

It depends on the day.  If the Brewers win, cheer for the Cubs (puts the division in play).  If the Brewers lose, cheer for the Cardinals (give up on the division and go for the WC)

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #520 on: September 19, 2019, 12:50:54 PM »
One more thought on remaining schedules.  The Brewers actually do control their own destiny for a playoff spot.  8 wins and they clinch at least a tie with one of the Cubs or Cardinals.

Current Standings:
Cardinals: 85-67
Cubs: 82-70
Brewers: 82-70

Assuming the Cubs and Cardinals each win their remaining non-Cubs/Cards games, they will get to 85 and 88 wins each.  From there, we can look at their records against each other to figure out their max wins possible.

Cards 7-0 -> Max # of wins: Cards 95, Cubs 85
Cards 6-1 -> Max # of wins: Cards 94, Cubs 86
Cards 5-2 -> Max # of wins: Cards 93, Cubs 87
Cards 4-3 -> Max # of wins: Cards 92, Cubs 88
Cubs 4-3 -> Max # of wins: Cards 91, Cubs 89
Cubs 5-2 -> Max # of wins: Cards 90, Cubs 90
Cubs 6-1 -> Max # of wins: Cards 89, Cubs 91
Cubs 7-0 -> Max # of wins: Cards 88, Cubs 92

The magic number is 90 wins.  In no scenario can both the Cubs AND Cardinals exceed 90 wins.  So if the Brewers hit 90, they force AT LEAST a tie for the wild card.  That's 8 more wins needed.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #522 on: September 19, 2019, 12:56:09 PM »
One more thought on remaining schedules.  The Brewers actually do control their own destiny for a playoff spot.  8 wins and they clinch at least a tie with one of the Cubs or Cardinals.

Current Standings:
Cardinals: 85-67
Cubs: 82-70
Brewers: 82-70

Assuming the Cubs and Cardinals each win their remaining non-Cubs/Cards games, they will get to 85 and 88 wins each.  From there, we can look at their records against each other to figure out their max wins possible.

Cards 7-0 -> Max # of wins: Cards 95, Cubs 85
Cards 6-1 -> Max # of wins: Cards 94, Cubs 86
Cards 5-2 -> Max # of wins: Cards 93, Cubs 87
Cards 4-3 -> Max # of wins: Cards 92, Cubs 88
Cubs 4-3 -> Max # of wins: Cards 91, Cubs 89
Cubs 5-2 -> Max # of wins: Cards 90, Cubs 90
Cubs 6-1 -> Max # of wins: Cards 89, Cubs 91
Cubs 7-0 -> Max # of wins: Cards 88, Cubs 92

The magic number is 90 wins.  In no scenario can both the Cubs AND Cardinals exceed 90 wins.  So if the Brewers hit 90, they force AT LEAST a tie for the wild card.  That's 8 more wins needed.

We did this a few pages ago SaveO.  Try to keep up kid.  There's a quiz tomorrow.   ;)

MU82

• All American
« Reply #523 on: September 19, 2019, 12:58:35 PM »
Burn it to the ground.

Well, I didn't say that. But sure, I like sarcasm as much as the next guy, probably more.

My son's a big Cubbie fan so he's sure hoping not to have to get out his matches.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #524 on: September 19, 2019, 01:06:56 PM »