[Today at 10:20:49 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 07:00:37 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MU82
[May 03, 2024, 05:21:12 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by Hards Alumni
[May 03, 2024, 02:02:49 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Real MLB Thread  (Read 188260 times)

wadesworld

• All American
Re: Real MLB Thread
« Reply #325 on: September 10, 2019, 10:43:58 PM »
Trout was robbed, or he would have accomplished that already

So...Yelich would’ve been the first outfielder since Barry Bonds to win back to back MVPs.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #326 on: September 10, 2019, 10:48:55 PM »
So...Yelich would’ve been the first outfielder since Barry Bonds to win back to back MVPs.

You don’t know that either.  But if it makes you feel better, sure.  It’s as if Cody Bellinger isn’t playing. 

Article from yesterday, Bellinger likely leading 2:1 NL MVP race before this injury to Yellich

https://www.mlb.com/news/cody-bellinger-mike-trout-ahead-in-mvp-races

Not sure why you are so certain he was going to win....great guy, great player, great season, but no way certain.

« Last Edit: September 11, 2019, 12:11:45 AM by Cheeks »
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #327 on: September 10, 2019, 11:38:18 PM »
No Baez and no Yelich for the stretch run is cruel for baseball fans. But Yelich’s relative impact is obviously far greater and more profound.

It makes the pissing match thread joyless.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #328 on: September 10, 2019, 11:45:05 PM »
If the Brewers miss the playoff, the MVP would go to Bellinger assuming a healthy Yelich.

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
« Reply #329 on: September 11, 2019, 10:20:15 AM »
You don’t know that either.  But if it makes you feel better, sure.  It’s as if Cody Bellinger isn’t playing. 

Article from yesterday, Bellinger likely leading 2:1 NL MVP race before this injury to Yellich

Not sure why you are so certain he was going to win....great guy, great player, great season, but no way certain.

Yelich was going to go 5-5 in each of the remaining 19 games, and finish the season batting .438.  There is no way they wouldn't have given him the MVP.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #330 on: September 11, 2019, 10:31:00 AM »
Or Yelich was just going to continue to be the best offensive player in the NL and the MVP goes to the best offensive player in the league like it has 95% of the time?  Not that hard of a concept.

You can find articles for anything you want.  Also an article from yesterday.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/27578279/mlb-awards-watch-nl-mvp-cy-young-races-going-wire

Standings don't mean nearly as much in baseball MVP voting as they do in basketball or football.  Giancarlo Stanton won the NL MVP 2 years ago on a team that won 77 games.

Not to mention how valuable can Bellinger really be to the Dodgers?  With him they win the NL West by 20 games?  Without him they win the NL West by maybe 15 games?  With Yelich it looks like there was a pretty good chance the Brewers make a second straight September run to make the Post Season (1 game back in the Wild Card, 2 games left with the Marlins, 3 games left with the Cards, 4 games left with the Padres, 3 games left with the Pirates, Reds, and Rockies).  Without him I'm not sure they finish above fourth place in their division.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2019, 10:40:27 AM by wadesworld »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #331 on: September 11, 2019, 10:35:38 AM »

Please keep your liberal, west-coast biases away from Scoop.  This is a politics-free zone.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #332 on: September 11, 2019, 11:15:50 AM »
The Mariners have a 1995-2019 record since 1995.  Or from 1995-2019.

Yesterday Bruce Boche had a 1995-2019 managerial record over his time as a manager from 1995-2019.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #333 on: September 11, 2019, 11:20:47 AM »
Yelich was hands down the leader for MVP. Done deal until he got hurt, quite the bummer as baseball is better with Yelich.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #334 on: September 11, 2019, 01:21:45 PM »
Yelich was hands down the leader for MVP. Done deal until he got hurt, quite the bummer as baseball is better with Yelich.

Yelich had the better numbers - not by a lot, but clearly better.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #335 on: September 11, 2019, 01:22:17 PM »
Both Yelich and Bellinger were putting up MVP numbers. Bellinger's remarkable start ended the NL West race early and Yelich has kept the Brewers from falling off the map. My vote goes to Yelich because A) he doesn't get to take off games defensively at 1B, B) stolen bases and C) I prefer the Brewers to the Dodgers. But any edge is razor thin, not a slam dunk by any means.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #336 on: September 11, 2019, 01:29:57 PM »
The Mariners have a 1995-2019 record since 1995.  Or from 1995-2019.

Yesterday Bruce Boche had a 1995-2019 managerial record over his time as a manager from 1995-2019.

That's hilarious.  Where'd you see that?

🏀

• All American
« Reply #337 on: September 11, 2019, 01:35:40 PM »
That's hilarious.  Where'd you see that?

Reddit and then ultimately it made the broadcast.

CreightonWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #338 on: September 11, 2019, 09:44:47 PM »
6 in a row for the Crew.

Yelich dodges a bullet and won’t need surgery. That’s a positive.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #339 on: September 11, 2019, 09:53:41 PM »

Hands down except at MLB.com and their voters...got it...hands down. 

CBS....Bellinger one to beat.   https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/mlb-awards-nl-mvp-race-still-looks-like-cody-bellinger-vs-christian-yelich-will-anyone-else-make-a-late-push/

Hands down....LOL

Look, he may win it, in fact he might even get some sympathy votes now, but almost everyone that does this stuff is saying two man race and too close to call.  But hands down...
« Last Edit: September 11, 2019, 09:55:33 PM by Cheeks »
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #340 on: September 11, 2019, 09:54:17 PM »
Yelich had the better numbers - not by a lot, but clearly better.

Bellinger has higher WAR, by quite a bit....defense also matters, it isn’t just about hitting.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #341 on: September 11, 2019, 10:30:37 PM »
Bellinger has higher WAR, by quite a bit....defense also matters, it isn’t just about hitting.

The MVP is very rarely about defense.  Almost never.   Almost never even a consideration.

Between Brooks Robinson, Ozzie Smith, Nolan Arenado and Omar Vizquel they have 1 MVP, and something like a million gold gloves.

The list of defensive butchers with MVPs is too numerous to mention.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #342 on: September 11, 2019, 11:00:25 PM »
If the Brewers go on to make the playoffs without Yelich, I guess that will "prove" that he wasn't really most valuable.

I'm just kidding, of course, but there are so many ways to define "value." It's one reason the MVP awards are always such great fodder for debate.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #343 on: September 11, 2019, 11:12:57 PM »

Except that it's almost always about only hitting.

And winning the MVP when he misses the last 20 games?  If you believe he actually could do that then PTM is 100% correct, he was hands down, far and away, the NL MVP when he got hurt if that's the case.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2019, 11:15:17 PM by wadesworld »

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #344 on: September 11, 2019, 11:48:23 PM »
The MVP is very rarely about defense.  Almost never.   Almost never even a consideration.

Between Brooks Robinson, Ozzie Smith, Nolan Arenado and Omar Vizquel they have 1 MVP, and something like a million gold gloves.

The list of defensive butchers with MVPs is too numerous to mention.

That’s fine, but for some voters it is the complete player.  That’s one of the reason’s a DH, to my knowledge, has never won the MVP with DH being the primary role on the team.  There have been 3 or 4 that DH was a role, but not the primary role of the player.  Baylor and Rice being two I can recall.  Defense does matter to some voters in the overall evaluation and they have said as much.  With today’s more advanced stats like WAR that include defense, it will be even more common.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #345 on: September 11, 2019, 11:54:59 PM »
Except that it's almost always about only hitting.

And winning the MVP when he misses the last 20 games?  If you believe he actually could do that then PTM is 100% correct, he was hands down, far and away, the NL MVP when he got hurt if that's the case.

I said sympathy vote....again, hands down is comical, but sure he could win because he has had a great year. Just about everyone  worth a damn saying razor thin race with more than enough legit actual voters saying each has the lead before the injury. It all depends how voters decide to weigh the injury.  Hands down and your statement are just homerism. 

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #346 on: September 11, 2019, 11:57:15 PM »
Odds on mvp prior to injury....... Bellinger

https://www.sportsbettingdime.com/mlb/nl-al-mvp-odds/

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #347 on: September 12, 2019, 06:35:54 AM »
I said sympathy vote....again, hands down is comical, but sure he could win because he has had a great year. Just about everyone  worth a damn saying razor thin race with more than enough legit actual voters saying each has the lead before the injury. It all depends how voters decide to weigh the injury.  Hands down and your statement are just homerism.

Homerism by a Cubs fan pushing Yelich. Interesting.

I’ll say it again. If you think Yelich has a chance to win the MVP, knowing he’s going to miss the last 20 games of the season, or 1/8 of a season, then when he got injured (when we started discussing it) Yelich was hands down, far and away the runaway to win the MVP.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2019, 06:40:09 AM by wadesworld »

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #348 on: September 12, 2019, 06:44:45 AM »
We're tied gentlemen.  I'll take Couns every day and twice on Sunday against Maddon down the stretch.  Now let's see if the boys can pull it out.  #Crew

MU82

• All American
« Reply #349 on: September 12, 2019, 06:50:06 AM »
We're tied gentlemen.  I'll take Couns every day and twice on Sunday against Maddon down the stretch.  Now let's see if the boys can pull it out.  #Crew

Still gotta win the games, but Brew Crew schedule is so much easier down the stretch.

Heck, they could put all kinds of pressure on not just the Cubs but also the Cards if they can sweep the series that starts tomorrow in St. Louis. Cardinals have by far the most difficult remaining sked of the three.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson