[Today at 10:20:49 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 07:00:37 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MU82
[May 03, 2024, 05:21:12 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by Hards Alumni
[May 03, 2024, 02:02:49 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Real MLB Thread  (Read 188247 times)

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
Re: Real MLB Thread
« Reply #275 on: September 05, 2019, 08:23:50 PM »
Counsel did not impress me during the NLCS last year.  Pitching changes and use of Hader were overthought.

Cool.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #276 on: September 05, 2019, 08:38:17 PM »
Counsel did not impress me during the NLCS last year.  Pitching changes and use of Hader were overthought.

I feel like this should have been in last year's MLB thread?

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #277 on: September 05, 2019, 08:53:41 PM »

You left no doubt about that last year Chicos.

He had the Brewers one win away from a World Series starting Chacin, Miley, and Gonzalez. Counsel’s handling of the staff last year was borderline immaculate.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #278 on: September 05, 2019, 10:25:47 PM »
You left no doubt about that last year Chicos.

He had the Brewers one win away from a World Series starting Chacin, Miley, and Gonzalez. Counsel’s handling of the staff last year was borderline immaculate.

LOL.  I didn’t say a damn thing about Counsel, but keep on going with the conspiracy.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #279 on: September 06, 2019, 08:34:37 AM »
Why didn't the brewers make this an afternoon game?

Was offered like 10 pairs of tickets. no one wanted to go lol.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #280 on: September 06, 2019, 09:09:59 AM »
I've been offered so many tickets to this series, it's insane.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #281 on: September 06, 2019, 08:36:19 PM »
Nice outing Cole “Not a Rivalry” Hamels.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #282 on: September 07, 2019, 01:54:51 PM »
Brewers record in last...
10 games: 5-5
20 games: 10-10
30 games: 15-15
40 games: 20-20
50 games: 25-25
60 games: 30-30

That is consistency right there. And amazing.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #283 on: September 07, 2019, 02:47:51 PM »
Consistency keeps ya outta da playoffs every tyme, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #284 on: September 07, 2019, 02:52:49 PM »

That is pretty amazing indeed.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #285 on: September 07, 2019, 03:32:52 PM »

What's their magic number?

• All American
« Reply #286 on: September 07, 2019, 03:36:02 PM »
What's their magic number?

.500 apparently.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MU82

• All American
« Reply #287 on: September 07, 2019, 03:43:06 PM »

The very definition of mediocrity. Thanks for providing that amazing stat.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #288 on: September 07, 2019, 09:50:58 PM »
I literally texted a couple friends saying, “they have Schwarber literally a step and a half off the warning track to Yelich’s opposite field.” Average at best runner on first only way Yeli walks it off is a perfect gapper or a homer...or if Schwarber goes tumbling around on a ball he has no chance to catch. That was terrible. Pull up and play it off the wall and you’re 2nd and 3rd 2 outs.

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #289 on: September 08, 2019, 10:53:10 AM »
I feel like this should have been in last year's MLB thread?

Ha. Forgot to quote in my response.

You have 40 players to work with and you send up Travis Shaw in a 2-2 game with 2 outs and a runner on second in the bottom of the 9th? Counsel hasn’t had anything to work with so not much to blame him for this year, but that alone might be fireable. I’d take Tebow over Shaw. Heck I’d take current day Michael Jordan over Shaw.

“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #290 on: September 09, 2019, 12:03:03 AM »
Consider the following.... at the game today, after Russell gets HBP and is laying on the ground for a minute, some lady down the row makes a comment like “now he knows how it feels,” obviously in reference to his domestic violence allegations.  Another lady in a Cubs shirt two rows in front turns around and says to the lady in the Brewer jersey “maybe your husband should beat your big mouth shut.”  Lady in the Brewer jersey is stunned, doesn’t know how to react, especially since she wasn’t the one who said anything.

The first comment came from someone in a group of Cubs fans sitting together.  The lady stuck in the middle of the group wearing the Brewers jersey, sitting with her son, takes every bit of it, pleading “I didn’t say anything” more than once, yet apparently nobody around her bothers to point out she wasn’t the culprit.

So what is one supposed to do after witnessing all this?  Stand up and yell something in defense of an innocent from 25’ away, or simply mind your own business?
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #291 on: September 09, 2019, 05:41:23 AM »
Dombrowski fired in Boston.    I imagine a back story will come out. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

• All American
« Reply #292 on: September 09, 2019, 08:04:02 AM »

He did what Dombrowski does.  Trade away the farm system and sign big contracts.  It worked in Boston and almost worked in Detroit.  But look at Detroit now.  Boston likley knows they need to rebuild so they may as well start now.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #293 on: September 09, 2019, 08:50:37 AM »
IMO, there is no back story other than they need to clean up the mess he's made of the future.  The Red Sox project to spend $80M a year for the next three years for three starters who are oft-injured and on the downside of their careers.  JD Martinez will likely opt out and they won't be able to afford him because of those expenditures, and the horror of all horrors, after next season they will have trouble finding the money to sign Mookie Betts, who is in the discussion with a few other guys as the best baseball player this side of Mike Trout.    The Red Sox went from one of the two or three best farm systems in baseball to one of the two or three worst under his stewardship.

The Red Sox knew what they're getting when they hired Dombrowski.  This is what he does, he sells out the future to win today.  Not bad if you win the World Series, but now you need a guy to straighten out the budget while staying competitive and that is not in his wheelhouse.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #294 on: September 09, 2019, 11:11:46 AM »
Consider the following.... at the game today, after Russell gets HBP and is laying on the ground for a minute, some lady down the row makes a comment like “now he knows how it feels,” obviously in reference to his domestic violence allegations.  Another lady in a Cubs shirt two rows in front turns around and says to the lady in the Brewer jersey “maybe your husband should beat your big mouth shut.”  Lady in the Brewer jersey is stunned, doesn’t know how to react, especially since she wasn’t the one who said anything.

The first comment came from someone in a group of Cubs fans sitting together.  The lady stuck in the middle of the group wearing the Brewers jersey, sitting with her son, takes every bit of it, pleading “I didn’t say anything” more than once, yet apparently nobody around her bothers to point out she wasn’t the culprit.

So what is one supposed to do after witnessing all this?  Stand up and yell something in defense of an innocent from 25’ away, or simply mind your own business?

Given the behavior you see in the stands of a lot of baseball games recently, I'd mind my business.  Especially if you're the kind of loser who not only defends Russell, but does so by wishing domestic violence on someone else.  Last thing you need is someone wailing on you or accosting you.  I got sucker punched resulting in stitches standing outside of a football game 7-8 years cause someone called a girl in our group a pretty disgusting word cause she rolled her eyes at a cat-call.  I said "come on man, wtf, thats over the line" as we kept walking...and his buddy came flying in from behind and clocked me.  That ended my sporting event verbal defenses.

I'm continually annoyed by Russell's continued presence on the team, even more now that he's stepping in with Javy's injury.  I actually said "karma is a b****" to myself while he sat dazed on the ground.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #295 on: September 09, 2019, 11:20:01 AM »
One month ago today, the Cubbies were 2.5 games up on Milwaukee and 3 up on St. Louis.

Now, they are three times closer to missing the playoffs (1.5 games up for 2nd wild-card spot) than they are to winning the division (4.5 games behind Cardinals).

One of the fun things about sports is the way this kind of thing can happen. Cubs and Cardinals still play each other 7x in the season's final 10 games, so who knows?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #296 on: September 09, 2019, 11:22:45 AM »
One month ago today, the Cubbies were 2.5 games up on Milwaukee and 3 up on St. Louis.

Now, they are three times closer to missing the playoffs (1.5 games up for 2nd wild-card spot) than they are to winning the division (4.5 games behind Cardinals).

One of the fun things about sports is the way this kind of thing can happen. Cubs and Cardinals still play each other 7x in the season's final 10 games, so who knows?

Redbird flying high.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #297 on: September 09, 2019, 12:03:48 PM »

I'm continually annoyed by Russell's continued presence on the team, even more now that he's stepping in with Javy's injury.  I actually said "karma is a b****" to myself while he sat dazed on the ground.

Nico got called up today. Russell may be on the way to the pine.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #298 on: September 09, 2019, 12:25:32 PM »
IMO, there is no back story other than they need to clean up the mess he's made of the future.  The Red Sox project to spend $80M a year for the next three years for three starters who are oft-injured and on the downside of their careers.  JD Martinez will likely opt out and they won't be able to afford him because of those expenditures, and the horror of all horrors, after next season they will have trouble finding the money to sign Mookie Betts, who is in the discussion with a few other guys as the best baseball player this side of Mike Trout.    The Red Sox went from one of the two or three best farm systems in baseball to one of the two or three worst under his stewardship.

The Red Sox knew what they're getting when they hired Dombrowski.  This is what he does, he sells out the future to win today.  Not bad if you win the World Series, but now you need a guy to straighten out the budget while staying competitive and that is not in his wheelhouse.

I'm largely on board with this, but ownership has a cross to bear here, too.

It doesn't make sense to bring in Dombrowski if you see the luxury tax as a hard salary cap - especially if you're the Red Sox. He's always going to spend money and Boston is always going to have it. And its not like he's totally screwed them over, Boston's luxury tax bill this year is $13,000. The farm system drop is more due to promotions than wasteful trades - Benintendi, Devers, Sam Travis, Marco Hernandez, and Michael Chavis were all in the top 10 in their system in 2017 and are all on the big league roster now.

I think this is as much an organizational turn/scapegoat for having misread how teams would - ahem - implicitly agree not to spend money after the new CBA.  Sure, paying $60M to Price and Sale isn't great, but its also not fatal to paying Betts - unless you're straight up unwilling to live in the tax (the Eovaldi deal will always be bad).

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #299 on: September 09, 2019, 02:31:16 PM »

I sense that someone will pass the Cubs for the last spot. Not playing great and .500 ball down the stretch will not do it.

feedback