[Today at 10:20:49 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 07:00:37 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MU82
[May 03, 2024, 05:21:12 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by Hards Alumni
[May 03, 2024, 02:02:49 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Wednesday 12/29 @ St. John's  (Read 17711 times)

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
Re: Wednesday 12/29 @ St. John's
« Reply #75 on: December 27, 2021, 11:42:55 PM »
But to Jaybee's point (although I don't know why he's hostile and attacking you) there have been many totally random public health decisions with regards to Covid that have nothing to do with "the science".  Including masking a 3 yr old but not a two year old on a plane.  This 5 day vs 10 day seems like one of those random non data decisions.  Data takes time to accumulate and honestly we know so little about omicron right now other than it's more contagious than other variants. 

The movement from 10 to 5 days is firmly rooted in science. If you don’t understand that, you should read more.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #76 on: December 27, 2021, 11:54:05 PM »
The movement from 10 to 5 days is firmly rooted in science. If you don’t understand that, you should read more.

So the 10 day quarantine was "rooted in science" and now the 5 day is "rooted is science"?  Gotcha.  Makes perfect sense.

• All American
« Reply #77 on: December 28, 2021, 12:08:06 AM »
So the 10 day quarantine was "rooted in science" and now the 5 day is "rooted is science"?  Gotcha.  Makes perfect sense.

Lol. Do you understand what “science” is? It isn’t perfectly known at any given time. So ten days made sense when it wasn’t perfectly known. As knowledge is gained, five days with a negative antigen test makes sense.

Don’t you think we know now more than we did 18 months ago?
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #78 on: December 28, 2021, 12:28:19 AM »
Lol. Do you understand what “science” is? It isn’t perfectly known at any given time. So ten days made sense when it wasn’t perfectly known. As knowledge is gained, five days with a negative antigen test makes sense.

Don’t you think we know now more than we did 18 months ago?

Uhh...yes I do Fluffy.   And no sht we know more now than we did 18 mos ago but that doesn’t change the fact that we have always had asymptomatic positives with every variant.    Nothing is "perfectly known" especially how long one has  had covid before they are actually tested positive.  So whether you are vaccinated or unvaccinated, if you are asymptomatic and test positive, there is no way to know whether it's your 1st day of having it or you have had it for much longer. 

You could literally take a test for the purpose of being safe with family, get a negative test, and then with no symptoms the next day have the virus.  In order to be "safe" you would have to test constantly, maybe twice a day.  So while the ability of spreading the virus is always greater soon after initial symptoms, this does not take into account asymptomatic spread.   Asymptomatic people are spreading omicron, not just the sick or unvaccinated.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2021, 12:30:35 AM by MuggsyB »

• All American
« Reply #79 on: December 28, 2021, 07:08:51 AM »
No, I don't think you know what science is.

Read this and report back to me Mugs.  This is basically why they went to five days plus negative antigen test for isolation.

https://twitter.com/ashishkjha/status/1475138732424822789

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #80 on: December 28, 2021, 07:12:45 AM »

Good point Rico Carty or Rico Petrocelli. Speaking as a medical professional (eat chit, jes) it is well known that molecular iodine rinses kill viruses, hey?

Bleach kills viruses too, ai'na?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #81 on: December 28, 2021, 08:08:25 AM »
They took Theo last year, you want them to take Justin this year?!?
No, you have it wrong, it is so MU can poach North Carolina.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2021, 08:35:36 AM by NCMUFan »

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #82 on: December 28, 2021, 09:44:59 AM »

Actually, Muggs, like most of the CDC's decisions, the 5-day is rooted in politics and economics.
The aim is to not bankrupt as many small businesses and allow the hospitals to try and maintain adequate staffing (what you will not read about is the labor shortages caused by the unscientific, illegal vaccine mandates which caused many to lose their jobs).

jfp61

• All American
« Reply #83 on: December 28, 2021, 10:20:38 AM »

Its almost as if science changes with more information. Its almost the nature of science.

CDC was sticking with 10 days. Private businesses and sports league (NFL and NBA) hired intendent doctors and evaluators to allow vaccinated people, without symptoms, who test negative, to return to society within 5 days instead of 10. CDC revaluated there policy. And the CDC readjusted there protocols for the airlines and other business who follow their guidelines.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #84 on: December 28, 2021, 10:52:00 AM »
Its almost as if science changes with more information. Its almost the nature of science.

CDC was sticking with 10 days. Private businesses and sports league (NFL and NBA) hired intendent doctors and evaluators to allow vaccinated people, without symptoms, who test negative, to return to society within 5 days instead of 10. CDC revaluated there policy. And the CDC readjusted there protocols for the airlines and other business who follow their guidelines.

I don’t buy it!  Tea with honey should be the only treatment for pneumonia.  It worked for thousands of years until the science nerds ruined it with “more information”.

Viper

• All American
« Reply #85 on: December 28, 2021, 10:55:21 AM »
and of course your boy Fauci…IS SCIENCE!

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #86 on: December 28, 2021, 11:22:23 AM »
Wrong. Why are sport teams, for example, who are vaccinated, continuing to get covid? I wish the vaccines worked great...they don't. They lessen symptoms and hospitalizations, but they don't eliminate the disease. There is, fortunately, a phenomenon called "herd immunity" and that's our best hope, aina?
There is no such thing as herd immunity, because the virus will keep mutating just like the common cold.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #87 on: December 28, 2021, 11:28:44 AM »
Actually, Muggs, like most of the CDC's decisions, the 5-day is rooted in politics and economics.
The aim is to not bankrupt as many small businesses and allow the hospitals to try and maintain adequate staffing (what you will not read about is the labor shortages caused by the unscientific, illegal vaccine mandates which caused many to lose their jobs).

Hospitals being understaffed is the correct answer to the drop in quarantine days.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #88 on: December 28, 2021, 11:30:28 AM »
There is no such thing as herd immunity, because the virus will keep mutating just like the common cold.

Huh? The common cold is literally the definition of herd immunity. Our bodies are so adapted to fighting it, it's a completely minimal disease.

Unless you have no immune system, then it'll kill you.

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #89 on: December 28, 2021, 11:31:35 AM »
I can hardly wait until Covid is no more dangerous than the common cold.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #90 on: December 28, 2021, 11:34:12 AM »
I can hardly wait until Covid is no more dangerous than the common cold.

Hopefully omnicron is close to that. So far I've only seem 1 recorded death in the US, UK, and Australia each.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #91 on: December 28, 2021, 11:38:34 AM »
Huh? The common cold is literally the definition of herd immunity. Our bodies are so adapted to fighting it, it's a completely minimal disease.

Correct, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #92 on: December 28, 2021, 11:51:11 AM »

You have immunity against the cold you have this week. The problem is during the typical cold season there are about 50 different cold viruses circulating, so you can catch a different cold every week. We all know there are head colds and chest colds and some are worse than others. Depending on how much one strain of covid differs from the strain you already had effects the amount of immunity you have. There is no such thing as heard immunity against viruses, because viruses keep changing. That is also why vaccines are not 100% full proof. I am triple vaccinated, but I understand I can still get sick. Hopefully, if I do the vaccination keeps me from getting too sick.

My 11 year old granddaughter's best friend's dad just died from covid. The parents were anti-vaxers and were not going to let the government tell them what to do. He died at age 53, so I guess the government won.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #93 on: December 28, 2021, 11:54:44 AM »
Hopefully omnicron is close to that. So far I've only seem 1 recorded death in the US, UK, and Australia each.
I fear the omicron is just suckering people into not taking covid seriously. Omicron's mutation into the next strain can be much more dangerous and catch more people off guard.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #94 on: December 28, 2021, 12:02:24 PM »
This thread sure became fun. Carry on!

“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #95 on: December 28, 2021, 12:10:09 PM »
My 11 year old granddaughter's best friend's dad just died from covid. The parents were anti-vaxers and were not going to let the government tell them what to do. He died at age 53, so I guess the government won.

Bilsu,

What is above is the saddest part of all this.  Never needed to happen.  I’m glad seat belt laws were not implemented in this political environment.  Many more people would die or be seriously injured in car accidents under the guise of freedom.  People are way overthinking this.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #96 on: December 28, 2021, 12:14:31 PM »
Shooter

That is horrible news. I know a number of anti-vaxers and wonder why they still are taking an unneeded risk, IMO.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #97 on: December 28, 2021, 12:18:05 PM »
Shooter

That is horrible news. I know a number of anti-vaxers and wonder why they still are taking an unneeded risk, IMO.

Goose I was only quoting bilsu’s paragraph.  But agree it is horrible and i think we all have or will have similar experiences unfortunately.

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #98 on: December 28, 2021, 12:36:29 PM »
Main reason it went from 10 to 5, is the newer strains are reaching peak infectiousness sooner (2/3 days vs. 4/5). Working in a hospital, seeing COVID patients, I agree with the new guidelines. With vaccines, there’s no reason for asymptomatic to stay home, if they have a negative ANTIGEN test. PCR will test positive for weeks sometimes. Our biggest problem is we don’t have enough antigen tests right now.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #99 on: December 28, 2021, 12:43:06 PM »
Main reason it went from 10 to 5, is the newer strains are reaching peak infectiousness sooner (2/3 days vs. 4/5). Working in a hospital, seeing COVID patients, I agree with the new guidelines. With vaccines, there’s no reason for asymptomatic to stay home, if they have a negative ANTIGEN test. PCR will test positive for weeks sometimes. Our biggest problem is we don’t have enough antigen tests right now.

Oh ... you and your facts and your science and your real-world experience.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson