'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by MUDPT
[May 04, 2024, 10:05:13 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by wadesworld
[May 04, 2024, 09:36:37 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by TSmith34, Inc.
[May 04, 2024, 08:28:28 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by Nukem2
[May 04, 2024, 01:57:07 PM]

Most Painful Transfers In MUBB History? by Jay Bee
[May 04, 2024, 10:20:49 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Uncle Rico
[May 04, 2024, 07:00:37 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MU82
[May 03, 2024, 05:21:12 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Wednesday 12/29 @ St. John's  (Read 17720 times)

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
Re: Wednesday 12/29 @ St. John's
« Reply #100 on: December 28, 2021, 04:33:19 PM »
Everyone wants it to end. The virus doesn't care.

Yep.

I fear the omicron is just suckering people into not taking covid seriously. Omicron's mutation into the next strain can be much more dangerous and catch more people off guard.

And double yep. Everyone who thinks we can “just all get omicron and be fine“ is forgetting that more transmission means more mutation. They are also ignoring the fact that hospitals and healthcare providers are completely overwhelmed the way it is. If omicron were so innocuous, hospitals would not be overwhelmed like this.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #101 on: December 28, 2021, 04:41:05 PM »
Then every statement should come with a huge disclaimer such as “we don’t have an effin clue but 5 seems better than 10”

I see warning signs / disclaimers all over the place, but when it comes to covid there are many who simply demand “follow the science”

Just be honest. They don’t have answers

Real scientists give the best answer they can based on the available data. That’s why, as the data evolves and the virus mutates, the recommendations change.

I would be far more worried about recommendations that stayed the same from beginning to end of the pandemic. That would be a clear indication that scientists are not learning as new data becomes available.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #102 on: December 28, 2021, 04:45:19 PM »
Keep “following the science” of the CDC , lol

73%! Ooops, actually 22.5%. Science changed, or they are effin idiots?

What a joke. Can’t believe jack about what they say.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #103 on: December 28, 2021, 04:50:41 PM »
CDC learned more about what was going on, and changed its public statement to reflect it. It’s never ideal for people who want a single, static, non-changing answer. But it’s how science works.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2021, 04:53:09 PM by GooooMarquette »

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #104 on: December 28, 2021, 04:51:14 PM »
When I was in college at MU, the big disease that scared everyone was aids. Aids is still around, we just got better at treating it.

Covid will probably never go away, but we have and will still get better at treating it.

I love going on cruises, but I do not think I will ever get on a cruise ship again.
I have not gotten covid due partly to luck and partly to being smart.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #105 on: December 28, 2021, 05:06:46 PM »
CDC learned more about what was going on, and changed its public statement to reflect it. It’s never ideal for people who want a single, static, non-changing answer. But it’s how science works.

Chopping 73% down to under 23% is not a good look.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #106 on: December 28, 2021, 05:27:06 PM »
Chopping 73% down to under 23% is not a good look.

No, it is not a good look. But it is good science to publicly acknowledge it.

It wasn’t a “good look” back in the 80s when we realized that you could not get AIDS from shaking an infected person’s hand or sitting on a toilet seat after an infected person had. But good scientists acknowledged the incorrect earlier assumptions as the data evolved. That’s simply how it works….

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #107 on: December 28, 2021, 05:38:34 PM »
Actually, Muggs, like most of the CDC's decisions, the 5-day is rooted in politics and economics.
The aim is to not bankrupt as many small businesses and allow the hospitals to try and maintain adequate staffing (what you will not read about is the labor shortages caused by the unscientific, illegal vaccine mandates which caused many to lose their jobs).

Lol

No.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #108 on: December 28, 2021, 06:00:25 PM »
#endoftimes
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #109 on: December 28, 2021, 06:03:53 PM »
In before the lock
Yes….should end shortly.

Viper

• All American
« Reply #110 on: December 28, 2021, 06:36:59 PM »
Shooter

That is horrible news. I know a number of anti-vaxers and wonder why they still are taking an unneeded risk, IMO.
I know people in the 30-50 age range not vax’d. I asked one why, and she said she’d rather rely on her own immune system than a vaccine where long-term effects are an unknown. Hence, which way is the risk?

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #111 on: December 28, 2021, 06:50:28 PM »
I know people in the 30-50 age range not vax’d. I asked one why, and she said she’d rather rely on her own immune system than a vaccine where long-term effects are an unknown. Hence, which way is the risk?

Anyone worried about 'long-term effects' of an mRNA vaccine clearly doesn't understand how they work.

leever

• All American
« Reply #112 on: December 28, 2021, 06:55:32 PM »
It's almost Wednesday.  Is the game cancelled or postponed?  Does anybody care.  I miss Chicos.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #113 on: December 28, 2021, 07:10:43 PM »

Anyone afraid of the vaccine should be afraid of covid.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #114 on: December 28, 2021, 07:32:12 PM »

Anyone afraid of the vaccine should be afraid of covid.

100% correct.  Everyday there are thousands of unnecessary deaths in the US.

I reiterate, people are overthinking it.  If you have had any vaccines you know they prevent unnecessary illness or worst case, deaths.  People are literally choosing to end their life early daily.  It is dumbfounding.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #115 on: December 28, 2021, 07:49:16 PM »
If you’re pro-vaccine then you hate baby Jesus because God made you as he wished. Stop the nonsense!!!!

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #116 on: December 28, 2021, 07:51:05 PM »
If you’re pro-vaccine then you hate baby Jesus because God made you as he wished. Stop the nonsense!!!!

Shut it down
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #117 on: December 28, 2021, 09:03:23 PM »
I just got Covid 2x over the course of 3 weeks.

Yes the science says it shouldn’t be done, but my body says otherwise.

It’s a new bug, no one really knows anything about it for sure, outside of the fact that it sucks arse.

No one is trying to fool you, including the CDC and Fauci. If you think they are I won’t pass judgement but perhaps just take a step back and think it through.
No one is trying to poison you with a vaccine, either.
If you think they are I won’t pass judgement but perhaps just take a step back and think it through.

Now that that’s out of the way- if you dont want to take a vaccine because of the unknown, or possible future dangers, or because ain’t no one telling you what to do, or because your body is your temple and it’ll fight the thing off- well I don’t agree with you but I don’t have to, I see your logic.
At the end of the day was are all only responsible for ourselves so whatever comes of our decision is our cross to bear.

That said, you can’t even start to argue that the thing doesn’t spread like wildfire, or that it doesn’t kill (even if you want to qualify that with ‘you have to be old or weak’). You also can’t argue that you then become a bigger risk/danger to those in the above mentioned groups.

Not sure where I was going with this but I’m glad I got it in before the lock.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #118 on: December 28, 2021, 09:07:28 PM »

Is it this vaccine or all vaccines Jay Bee?  Just curious.   I’m trying to understand the logic. 

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #119 on: December 28, 2021, 09:09:34 PM »
I can't embed this or else I'd have to ban myself or lock the thread.  So click at your own risk.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FHche7WUUAEhHv-?format=jpg&name=small

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #120 on: December 28, 2021, 09:26:22 PM »
I hate doing this since I'm just prolonging a thread derailment but for those of you who do not believe the CDC is a believable authority for guidance on COVID precautions, who or what do you rely on for guidance?

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #121 on: December 28, 2021, 09:48:14 PM »
I hate doing this since I'm just prolonging a thread derailment but for those of you who do not believe the CDC is a believable authority for guidance on COVID precautions, who or what do you rely on for guidance?

BeeJay is my go to source for…well, everything.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #122 on: December 28, 2021, 09:51:20 PM »

My doctor for one.

Medical research from multiple independent sources, for another, including drug companies, universities and publication of results from around the world.

Ultimately, every predication model has assumptions that must be disclosed and validated. Too often, the government’s predictions are dire and the assumptions vague. It is as if they are trying to scare the hell out of everybody, consequences be damned.

Also, it is one thing for the CDC and Infectious Disease Centers to comment on disease prevention. It is completely another thing for the CDC to void contracts with foreclosure moratoriums and the like.

P.S. — I’m fully vaccinated and boosted.

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #123 on: December 28, 2021, 10:06:17 PM »
My doctor for one.

Medical research from multiple independent sources, for another, including drug companies, universities and publication of results from around the world.

Ultimately, every predication model has assumptions that must be disclosed and validated. Too often, the government’s predictions are dire and the assumptions vague. It is as if they are trying to scare the hell out of everybody, consequences be damned.

Also, it is one thing for the CDC and Infectious Disease Centers to comment on disease prevention. It is completely another thing for the CDC to void contracts with foreclosure moratoriums and the like.

P.S. — I’m fully vaccinated and boosted.

There is so much nuance in medicine, everything is gray.  And unfortunately during the pandemic, you either have to be black and white for some weird reason.

Masks work, but some masks work better than others.
Vaccines prevent transmission, but don't do it 100%. 
You should quarantine for 10 days or 5 days.

I love this conversation, because I don't really believe the CDC cares much for people that are arguing any of this stuff.  The CDC cares more about people who aren't vaccinated, don't know the reason behind wearing masks or doesn't even know what COVID symptoms are to isolate themselves.  Trust me, there are a lot of these people out there.  The fact that anyone on either "side" has spent time in thinking or reading about any of this stuff, is way more then a lot of people. 

As for MUBB, test to stay is how it should be after the 5 day quarantine with a positive test.  The 10 day mandatory isolation is way over the top.

TheTulsaWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #124 on: December 28, 2021, 11:18:42 PM »
This thread causes brain cells to die.  We are dealing with a "novel" virus and learning as we go.  In Johns Hopkins Medical School I believe, while not always right when in doubt rely on the people who have been studying viruses and pandemics, not football quarterbacks, former pro wrestlers who do podcasts, or politicians trying to make points against the other team.  If we are unwilling to work together as a society, try not to infect me.