'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Barney's home for sale.  (Read 71079 times)

warriorchick

• All American
Re: Barney's home for sale.
« Reply #100 on: April 30, 2014, 02:31:01 PM »
That visual just struck me as every Scooby Doo villain ever.

"The real ghost is...
[removes headpiece]
Old man Wainwright?!"

"And I would have gotten away with it if it weren't for you meddling kids!"
Have some patience, FFS.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #101 on: April 30, 2014, 02:32:31 PM »
Is there an episode of House Hunters showing in Mequon?  A young couple looking for way more space for their growing family.

I think House Hunters in Blacksburg would be way more interesting.
Have some patience, FFS.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #102 on: April 30, 2014, 02:34:44 PM »
Well, maybe I am Judging.  I think of it more of not understanding how "living large" can align with one's professed Christian beliefs.  I read the bible different them some, and yes different than the mega church pastors flying around on private jets.  

But, I know I am in the minority, in that I see moral and ethical issues with how we spend our money and consume resources.  To me, how we spend does in fact have an ethical and moral component, especially when it involves consuming a tremendous amount of resources at a price to our fellow humans and future generations.  I have my vices, and even though I try to live "simply" I live too well and too Western/American.  So, maybe I am judging and a hypocrite as well...?

I am very thankful for the introduction to basic Buddhist/Jesuit philosophies at a young age that allowed me to see the disconnect between our Western thinking of consumption (and linking possessing things to happiness.... or if I just had this much or that I'd be happy and have enough) and where true happiness is found.

Don't get me wrong, GOO. I agree that true joy in life has nothing to do with consumption or possessions. I try (not always successfully) to be mindful of that. But I also believe that it's a free country. If someone wants the bigger house, the 12oz filet rather than the 8oz, the 16oz beer rather than the 12oz I don't thank God for making me more enlightened than them.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2014, 02:37:40 PM by Lennys Tap »

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #103 on: April 30, 2014, 02:46:18 PM »
why spend all that time posting funny pictures on message boards - is there not some significant ethical dimension to the decision to not spend that time helping others?

so where does one draw the line?   should Buzz live in a 2000 sq ft home?   what if he lives in a 30,000 sq ft home but donates a $1M a year to charity?   or what if he lives in a 2000 sqft home and donates nothing....  is there a difference?

do you drive anything more than an entry level car?   if you don't - you must be callous, crass or lying to yourself if you think that is OK?  

I donate 100% of my USAF medical pension and all my annual income from every other source to charity. I drive a 7 year old Toyota that our research team has converted from gasoline to a hybrid hydrogen-Compressed Natural Gas ICE that averages more than 85 miles per GGE with 90% fewer total HCE.

I have no debt so I am able to live on less than $750 a month. If REI doesn't sell it I don't wear it. I eat more veg protein since it is far more efficient than producing animal protein.

Life is about choices. Bert Williams does not need to house his family of 6 in 13,000 sf. It is not about safety, security, or survival; it is about hubris.

And making a contribution to a charity does not offset a profoundly bad decision. Waste is waste. There is no correlation between outrageous consumption and charity. You either understand that or you don't.

Death on call

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #104 on: April 30, 2014, 02:50:07 PM »

Life is about choices. Bert Williams does not need to house his family of 6 in 13,000 sf. It is not about safety, security, or survival; it is about hubris.

I think its 17,100 square feet. 

Let's Go Warriors

• Team Captain
  • Lets Go Warriors(clap clap clap clap clap)...
« Reply #105 on: April 30, 2014, 02:52:59 PM »
I donate 100% of my USAF medical pension and all my annual income from every other source to charity. I drive a 7 year old Toyota that our research team has converted from gasoline to a hybrid hydrogen-Compressed Natural Gas ICE that averages more than 85 miles per GGE with 90% fewer total HCE.

I have no debt so I am able to live on less than $750 a month. If REI doesn't sell it I don't wear it. I eat more veg protein since it is far more efficient than producing animal protein.

And making a contribution to a charity does not offset a profoundly bad decision. Waste is waste. There is no correlation between outrageous consumption and charity. You either understand that or you don't.

Can you fill that up at the BP?
Warrior As defined by Webster's:
A person who fights in battles and is known for having courage and skill

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #106 on: April 30, 2014, 02:54:15 PM »
I think its 17,100 square feet. 

Probably. It becomes irrelevant once you get past a certain point.

BTW, we got funding from MS last week on the one deal and wearable is a major vertical so call if interested.

Death on call

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #107 on: April 30, 2014, 02:54:30 PM »

Come on Keefe, support your Michigan brethren and buy American
Bring back FFP!!!

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #108 on: April 30, 2014, 02:59:11 PM »
Can you fill that up at the BP?

Anywhere there is a gas line you put in a filling point for less than $300. All you need is an air compressor. But there are CNG refueling points at gas stations everywhere. Our patent is on-board JIT generation of H2.

We are working with PSE on a regional build out of refueling points. I put more miles on my Cannondale but 15 GGE capacity with the efficiencies we are getting and the few miles I drive means I need to refuel about every 5 months.

Death on call

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #109 on: April 30, 2014, 03:01:48 PM »
Come on Keefe, support your Michigan brethren and buy American

We have converted two Yukon Denalis to HCNG and are getting more than 70 MpGGE with them. We established a pre-conversion baseline with the Denalis and they were averaging about 13 mpg on gasoline so the efficiency gain has been dramatic.

Death on call

Badgerhater

• All American
« Reply #110 on: April 30, 2014, 03:02:05 PM »
People who are associated with Marquette are only allowed to live here http://youtu.be/3nhgfjrKi0o

Let's Go Warriors

• Team Captain
  • Lets Go Warriors(clap clap clap clap clap)...
« Reply #111 on: April 30, 2014, 03:10:36 PM »
Anywhere there is a gas line you put in a filling point for less than $300. All you need is an air compressor. But there are CNG refueling points at gas stations everywhere. Our patent is on-board JIT generation of H2.

We are working with PSE on a regional build out of refueling points. I put more miles on my Cannondale but 15 GGE capacity with the efficiencies we are getting and the few miles I drive means I need to refuel about every 5 months.

can the average citizen(me) get their car/truck converted?
Warrior As defined by Webster's:
A person who fights in battles and is known for having courage and skill

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #112 on: April 30, 2014, 03:17:45 PM »
can the average citizen(me) get their car/truck converted?

Sure. We actually have meetings in June with two German companies so it might be readily available at some point. But, yea, we can convert anything. The challenge is in the ECU solid state coding - capturing all of the behaviors and activities in algorithms - which is specific to each ICE. That is why we focused on two specific vehicles so we could model the power plants and get the CG correct in a systematic manner.

PM me for details.

Death on call

madtownwarrior

• All American
« Reply #113 on: April 30, 2014, 03:40:52 PM »
cool - you live the what you say you believe.   so many judge others and preach their beliefs but don't actually follow it themselves...

GOO

• All American
« Reply #114 on: April 30, 2014, 04:02:06 PM »
why spend all that time posting funny pictures on message boards - is there not some significant ethical dimension to the decision to not spend that time helping others?

so where does one draw the line?   should Buzz live in a 2000 sq ft home?   what if he lives in a 30,000 sq ft home but donates a $1M a year to charity?   or what if he lives in a 2000 sqft home and donates nothing....  is there a difference?

do you drive anything more than an entry level car?   if you don't - you must be callous, crass or lying to yourself if you think that is OK?  

I don't know there is a line or where the line is at.  Most people don't think there is a line and the bigger and more the better.  They don't care about the consequences of how they/we live.  They equate more and bigger with being better. They equate their personal value too much with their possessions, a label with personal attributes and personal value.  There is no moral or ethical consideration in the process of how we live on those around us and the future... there is no line.

But, I think there are considerations discussed above that everyone should at least think about... then one should be able to draw a line, and if not, as Keefe says so much better than I, they just don't give a damn about others, etc.  If the line is at 17,000 sq feet... I say yuck, and I wish more would say yuck so we'd live more within what is sustainable... and there would be virtue in living in a sustainable way  

If someone wants to live in a 13,000 or 17,000 sq foot house, that is their right, of course.  Will I think less of them as a result?  Yes.  Will I think more of them? No.  Does donating money to charity in large amounts change my mind, not at all.  Different things. Is living in that 17,000 sq. foot house going to make the world better now or for future generations?  I'd say, heck no, so think about it and why you "need" to have it!  

As Bazz would say "is it the right thing to do"?  How often did he say this...  I say heck no Bazz, that isn't right! Especially if you say your a Christian, I don't understand how one can claim to be a good Jesus follower and live like that.  Incompatible to me.  I'm sure Jesus if living in America would live in a house like Bazz's with 4 or 5 other people and tell everyone to be like him and follow his ways  To heck with the consequences on society or being an example.

And the reason I posted in this thread to begin with is because I was surprised to see how he lived, given what he said about being a good Christian and all.  I simply don't get that.

Keefe wins anyway, and he makes me look like a complete hypocrite, not just a partial one. His line is much lower than mine (but he has a better line, in my opinion).  But we can all strive to do better, as I am inclined to try and do.

To the Internet Grammar police, please don't correct my grammar, I'm busy... but I hope this post makes some sense.    

kryza

• Team Captain
« Reply #115 on: April 30, 2014, 04:07:55 PM »
We have converted two Yukon Denalis to HCNG and are getting more than 70 MpGGE with them. We established a pre-conversion baseline with the Denalis and they were averaging about 13 mpg on gasoline so the efficiency gain has been dramatic.

Sounds cool, but I can't get over the fact that your car might explode. Deal breaker for me.

GOO

• All American
« Reply #116 on: April 30, 2014, 04:10:45 PM »
On the line thing, the house Steve Jobs was going to build was just shy of 5,000 sq ft.  Is it too big?  I don't know.  However, at least he shows some restraint.  And, I like that for a house with 3 or 4 kids there, they had to share a bath room.

Restraint.  Simpler.  Over the line or not, he thought about it and restrained.

Simple enough?  I'm not going to draw that line.  If he built a 10,000 sq ft house for 5 or 6 people, I'd say yuck, over the line.

So, I guess I am judging.  But, no one cares anyway  :D

Link: http://gizmodo.com/5649909/the-house-that-steve-jobs-will-build

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #117 on: April 30, 2014, 04:14:34 PM »
Sounds cool, but I can't get over the fact that your car might explode. Deal breaker for me.

No, this is NOT an H2 powered vehicle. We recognized the inherent issues with H2 as a fuel - safety, cryogenic storage, weight, low volumetric density, etc...

We generate H2 in precise amounts as needed through a chemical reforming process. There is no storage of H2 in this process; excess H2 bleeds off through a series of water gas shift reductions. The beauty is that 30% of your fuel is free!

This is safer than your gasoline-fueled beast that is only about 16% efficient.

Death on call

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #118 on: April 30, 2014, 04:17:06 PM »
He who dies with the most toys wins!

;D

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #119 on: April 30, 2014, 04:19:33 PM »

I thought they stopped selling Pintos.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #120 on: April 30, 2014, 04:22:08 PM »
On the line thing, the house Steve Jobs was going to build was just shy of 5,000 sq ft.  Is it too big?  I don't know.  However, at least he shows some restraint.  And, I like that for a house with 3 or 4 kids there, they had to share a bath room.

Restraint.  Simpler.  Over the line or not, he thought about it and restrained.

Simple enough?  I'm not going to draw that line.  If he built a 10,000 sq ft house for 5 or 6 people, I'd say yuck, over the line.

So, I guess I am judging.  But, no one cares anyway  :D

Link: http://gizmodo.com/5649909/the-house-that-steve-jobs-will-build

There is no line other than common sense and judgment. I am alone so I shrugged off a single family dwelling for a 1,400 sf high rise. Maybe it's more space than I need but it is the norm around here for 2 BR and I do have visitors constantly. I have yet to turn on the heat or AC and my utilities are negligible (water is pro-rated so I pay way more than my share but so what.)

I think that those of us with a conscience have an inner voice that gives us guidance. When we hear that voice we already know we are running against our core values. The answer lies in how we answer that voice.

Death on call

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #121 on: April 30, 2014, 04:27:52 PM »
There is no line other than common sense and judgment. I am alone so I shrugged off a single family dwelling for a 1,400 sf high rise. Maybe it's more space than I need but it is the norm around here for 2 BR and I do have visitors constantly. I have yet to turn on the heat or AC and my utilities are negligible (water is pro-rated so I pay way more than my share but so what.)

I think that those of us with a conscience have an inner voice that gives us guidance. When we hear that voice we already know we are running against our core values. The answer lies in how we answer that voice.

When I am confident that my children are all out of the house for good, I have told my wife that I would love to move back into a city into some little "Milwaukee bungalow" type house. 

No need to pay for a space I'm not using.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #122 on: April 30, 2014, 04:29:07 PM »

Remember, Hydrogen is not necessarily a source of energy, but a carrier of energy.  The risk may actually be less than a gasoline car.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #123 on: April 30, 2014, 04:40:10 PM »
Remember, Hydrogen is not necessarily a source of energy, but a carrier of energy.  The risk may actually be less than a gasoline car.

The single biggest consumer of industrial H2 is the petrochemical industry which uses it to increase the octane level of fuels. Manufacturing, transporting, storing, and distributing H2 is bloody dangerous. Its use as the sole fuel for ICE is fraught with problems -  volatility, cryogenic storage, weight, low volumetric density, etc... The energy required to cryogenically store H2 fuel on a vehicle at -250 C is far greater than the energy potential of the fuel itself.

H2 as a sole fuel will never be the answer but as an additive it dramatically increases the indicated thermal efficiency and power output of CNG making that hybrid model both operationally and financially superior. The key is to eliminate the whole manufactured H2 supply chain.

Death on call

🏀

• All American
« Reply #124 on: April 30, 2014, 04:46:27 PM »
No comments on the whack-ass projector in the media room?