'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Davon Dillard  (Read 14035 times)

JakeBarnes

• All American
Davon Dillard
« on: May 13, 2014, 09:50:18 AM »
Taking an unofficial to Marquette today per Prep Bullseye. 6'4" wing ranked in the 120s on yahoo for 2015. Sounds like his stock is on the uptick given that Iowa and Indiana are involved. Sounds like he will visit Creighton soon as well.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

Rockmic87

• Team Captain
Re: Davon Dillard
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2014, 12:22:04 PM »

RealWarriorFan

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2014, 12:33:32 PM »
From the one clip he looks great!

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2014, 12:56:27 PM »
From the one clip he looks great!

Actually, those clips are all a coach needs to do his recruiting. MU can finally tell Dick Strong that his GV is no longer needed.

Death on call

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2014, 02:21:58 PM »
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

VegasWarrior77

• All American
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2014, 05:04:32 PM »
So is Reggie Smith.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2014, 05:28:46 PM »
As was Artie Green.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2014, 07:37:45 PM »
Think we have solid shot at landing him. Sounds like interest on both sides.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2014, 07:51:03 PM »
Think we have solid shot at landing him. Sounds like interest on both sides.

Not saying you're wrong just wondering if you read that somewhere?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2014, 01:06:06 PM »
Here's an interesting story from March 27th which perhaps explains why not a lot of schools have offered yet.

Coach Rea and Davon Dillard are Bowman's fire and ice

GARY | This is not Phil Jackson and Michael Jordan. It is something in another time zone. No, universe.

The relationship between Bowman Academy boys basketball coach Marvin Rea and his junior star, Davon Dillard, is a cable reality show waiting to happen. The two have been nose-to-nose all winter.

On Saturday, in the Class 3A state championship game against top-ranked and defending state champion Greensburg, both Rea and Dillard will finally be on the same page.

What happens after that, who knows?

Rea's frustration with his 6-foot-5 mega talent got so bad during the regular season that he said, "If Davon wants to transfer after the season, I'll be the first one to sign the form."

Here are the facts. After a less-than-stellar sophomore season, Dillard was the best player on the floor in last year's Class 2A state championship game. He scored 24 points on 10-of-15 shooting, with six rebounds, three assists and three steals.

On Wednesday Dillard was named to the Indiana Junior All-Star Core 6 team. That is a top-shelf honor that only goes to Indiana's best.

But Dillard missed the first three games of this season due to an off-the-court altercation with Anthony Cole. Then, in the sectional opener against Lighthouse, Dillard never got off the bench.

It was coach-driven pine time.

Rea said, "Davon is not injured and he does not have grade problems. He sat because I chose to sit him. And he may sit again. It will be my decision and no one else's."

At Tuesday's practice, Dillard spoke about his relationship with Rea. It's either funny or right to the point.

"Marvin's a good coach," Dillard said. "But he's basically the same person as me. That's why we bump heads."

When Rea heard this summation a few minutes later, he paused for 30 seconds before speaking.

"I'm passionate about what I do; Davon is passionate about what he does," Rea said. "At times, he comes in and jokes around while everyone else is working. You can't do that. When everyone else is working you work.

"He's one of the best high school basketball players I've ever seen. Ever. But he needs to learn how to be consistent. To be the best every time you walk on the floor."

Dillard's raw skill is sick, which is why he's been offered by Purdue, while Indiana and Michigan State are also very interested among many others. But there are moments when he sits on the bench because of basketball IQ.

Against Andrean in the sectional championship, a 59er drove the lane and most everyone believed he traveled. Dillard turned to the official and circled his arms in the traveling motion.

The Andrean player got the rebound and scored.

But Dillard's game has been off the charts in Indianapolis. Many have Greensburg as a big favorite. Point guard Bryant McIntosh is a 6-foot-3 guard who will play at Northwestern. He's averaging 14.1 points and 9.1 assists a game.

Dillard has played against him in the summer AAU circuit.

"I'm not bragging, but I got a good game, too," said Dillard, who is averaging 17 points and 7.1 rebounds a game.

Rea's biggest beef is a junior trying to act like a senior. At Bowman, seniors lead the team, in almost everything.

"Davon wants to pick where we eat," Rea said. "Justin (King) is the one who picks that. This is Justin's team. He's a senior."

Every Eagle will have to be together Saturday night. This is their first Class 3A state final, and Greensburg will be one of their toughest tests.

"People said we only won before because we were Class A and 2A," Dillard said. "I'm excited for this. I love playing on the big stage. The two teams in Class 4A (Indianapolis Tech and Lake Central) we've already beaten.

"We want to show everyone we can win in this class."
« Last Edit: May 14, 2014, 01:10:45 PM by LittleMurs »

No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2014, 01:29:00 PM »
He's got elite talent but some baggage that makes the elite teams hesitate. To me, the kind of guy we have to get to really compete at the highest level. To others (the Chicos crowd), someone to be avoided at all costs. Glad Wojo is in on him.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2014, 01:41:12 PM »
He's got elite talent but some baggage that makes the elite teams hesitate. To me, the kind of guy we have to get to really compete at the highest level. To others (the Chicos crowd), someone to be avoided at all costs. Glad Wojo is in on him.

There are red flags that shouldn't be ignored and there are red flags that can be overcome.  Although he's a brand new HC, Wojo has been a big part of a top level program for more than long enough to know which is which.  So, if Wojo offers, I'm with you, and hope to see him at MU.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2014, 02:43:41 PM »
Sounds like he might have some ego issues. I imagine wojo has managed and worked with even bigger heads than this guy's when he was at Duke. If wojo feels like he can train him, than I'm for it.
TAMU

MU82

• All American
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2014, 03:12:24 PM »

Rea's biggest beef is a junior trying to act like a senior. At Bowman, seniors lead the team, in almost everything.

"Davon wants to pick where we eat," Rea said. "Justin (King) is the one who picks that. This is Justin's team. He's a senior."

Now that Davante is gone, the Warriors will need somebody to be in charge of the feedbag.
β€œIt’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2014, 04:51:09 PM »
Mark Miller ‏@WisBBYearbook  8m
Marquette extended a scholarship offer to Gary Bowman 2015 wing Davon Dillard on Tuesday.

The Equalizer

• All American
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2014, 11:50:52 AM »

1. Do you consider MSU and Indiana outside the elites?  Both were reported in the article as being interested--and nothing suggested they were hesitant.

2. I don't recall Chicos ever commenting that mere ego problems rose to the level of someone "to be avoided at all costs."  Problems with the law? Yes. Questionable academics?  Sure. Attending a diploma mill?  You bet. 

But having an ego?  Think you're stretching here.

monkeyman34

• Starter
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2014, 12:08:40 PM »
I find what the coach said in the article a lot more disturbing than Davon.  What high school coach would agree to talk to a reporter who is doing an article like that on a high school kid/high school team and make the comments he did about a high school player? 

I don't see anything wrong with any of the comments Davon made.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2014, 12:45:19 PM »
1. Do you consider MSU and Indiana outside the elites?  Both were reported in the article as being interested--and nothing suggested they were hesitant.

2. I don't recall Chicos ever commenting that mere ego problems rose to the level of someone "to be avoided at all costs."  Problems with the law? Yes. Questionable academics?  Sure. Attending a diploma mill?  You bet. 

But having an ego?  Think you're stretching here.

1. Only Purdue is mentioned as offering. They are not elite.

2. The article goes well beyond saying that he "has an ego". It states he has a low basketball IQ and has had multiple suspensions resulting in him missing at least 4 games. Think you're the one stretching.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2014, 12:52:42 PM »

What was the point of mentioning chicos in this comment?
TAMU

Skitch

• All American
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2014, 01:18:22 PM »
Is the Chicos Crowd like a gang? Sort of like the Van Buren Street Boys?

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2014, 01:30:20 PM »

Is the Chicos Crowd like a gang? Sort of like the Van Buren Street Boys?

Toughest gang around.

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2014, 01:31:28 PM »
A pic from the 2014 beer summit?
Bring back FFP!!!

The Equalizer

• All American
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2014, 02:13:22 PM »
1. Only Purdue is mentioned as offering. They are not elite.

So you think "very interested" and "hesitant" mean the same thing?  

2. The article goes well beyond saying that he "has an ego". It states he has a low basketball IQ

So let me get this straight.  You think guys with "low basketball IQ" are "the kind of guy we have to get to really compete at the highest level."?

and has had multiple suspensions resulting in him missing at least 4 games. Think you're the one stretching.

I'm not seeing any legal issues, history of substandard grades, or that the HS is a low-academics diploma mill.  So again, how do you justify the comment that this fits as "someone to be avoided at all costs."

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2014, 02:53:46 PM »

I'm not seeing any legal issues, history of substandard grades, or that the HS is a low-academics diploma mill.  So again, how do you justify the comment that this fits as "someone to be avoided at all costs."

Again, YOU (incorrectly) indicated that the only negative in the article was that he had an ego. I agree that Chicos would never be against a guy for only having an ego. He would, and has, been against recruiting guys with low basketball IQs and/or multiple suspensions, though. YOU are the one eliminating low basketball IQ and multiple suspensions as red flags for Chicos - and that is just factually wrong.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2014, 02:55:39 PM by Lennys Tap »

tower912

• All American
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2014, 02:55:44 PM »
Equalizer, if Buzz was still coach and on this guy, you would be arguing the other side.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.