[May 02, 2024, 08:58:35 PM]

NM by Skatastrophy
[May 02, 2024, 07:11:46 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by JWags85
[May 02, 2024, 06:37:52 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by MurphysTillClose
[May 02, 2024, 12:27:48 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: New Safety Measures at MU  (Read 3039 times)

4everwarriors

• All American
New Safety Measures at MU
« on: February 08, 2022, 04:01:11 PM »

Dear Marquette community:

Like other cities across the country, Milwaukee is experiencing higher than usual rates of crime. Several recent incidents have affected our campus, creating heightened concern around safety and security. As a parent of college-aged children, I know firsthand that a safe campus community is paramount for our entire Marquette community.

A hallmark of Jesuit universities is their locations in urban areas, ensuring solidarity with their communities. Marquette University has a proud 141-year history in the City of Milwaukee as an anchor institution in our Near West Side neighborhood. Since I came to Marquette, we have adopted a holistic and inclusive approach to campus and community safety through the creation of Near West Side Partners, the commissioning of our Marquette University Police Department and an increased focus on community engagement – and we are committed to doing more.

Marquette is taking the following immediate actions:

Launching a President’s Task Force on Community Safety: MUPD Chief Edith Hudson, a 25-year veteran of the Milwaukee Police Department, will chair the President’s Task Force on Community Safety. The Task Force, which will include students, parents and community partners, will convene immediately to develop 30-day, 60-day and longer-term plans to impact the campus and community safety. I will be personally involved with the Task Force, challenging the group to seek actionable, lasting solutions that add to the infrastructure, tools and technology we have today. Watch Marquette Today for additional information on the task force membership and ways to get involved.
Hiring additional MUPD officers to increase patrol visibility on campus: We will add four additional MUPD officers who will be deployed to the areas of campus where most of the pass-through crime takes place. MUPD has also created a special team of officers dedicated to patrolling impacted areas of campus. The Task Force will assess the need for any additional resources. The university remains grateful for the sworn MUPD officers and trained security professionals who patrol campus 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.
Providing additional LIMO resources: To improve response times and availability, MUPD will hire additional LIMO drivers and assess whether additional LIMO vans are needed. Our LIMO program transports Marquette community members to campus locations 365 days a year, ensuring safe arrival to their homes, cars and buildings. Whenever possible, students should use the free LIMO van service provided by MUPD, especially at night.
Continuing Crime Prevention Through Environmental Design (CPTED): MUPD will continue using CPTED — a multi-disciplinary approach to crime prevention through the design and management of built and natural environments — to assess and improve lighting, security cameras and traffic calming measures that deter bad actors from passing through our campus.
Implementing additional building security measures: We are working to implement MUID swipe access to campus buildings, including the Alumni Memorial Union, after business hours, and to require MUID card access to enter residence halls. This will add additional protection beyond the 24/7 front desk staffing in all residence halls.
Convening a meeting with City of Milwaukee and community leaders: This issue is bigger than Marquette. I have spoken with Milwaukee’s acting mayor and the chief of the Milwaukee Police Department, and I will reach out to additional law enforcement leaders and community partners to explore how our organizations can collaborate to address the systemic roots of crime. Marquette will continue working closely with the City of Milwaukee on safety enhancement measures.
I promise full institutional support to address the recent crime trends in our region and ensure the safety and security of our campus community and surrounding neighborhood.

Sincerely,

Dr. Michael R. Lovell
President
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

real chili 83

• All American
Re: New Safety Measures at MU
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2022, 04:35:50 PM »
This won't end well.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2022, 04:40:24 PM »
Such a minor blip on the radar that the pres has to issue an all campus response.

Nothing to see here, folks. 

<insert Kevin bacon at the end of animal house gif.>

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2022, 04:41:52 PM »
Damned if they do. Damned if they don't.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2022, 04:48:08 PM »
Lol. You think this is the first time a Marquette president has issued a statement on local crime? What do you think DiUlio hung his hat on?
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2022, 04:48:24 PM »
What don't you see? Keep sticking your head in the sand. Huge problem that has to be addressed, with action, preferably, rather than words before MU wishes they had, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2022, 04:50:38 PM »
Y'all are so far gone that actually you're beyond hope. If some of us say red, others here will immediately say green, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2022, 04:51:07 PM »
What don't you see? Keep sticking your head in the sand. Huge problem that has to be addressed, with action, preferably, rather than words before MU wishes they had, hey?

What do I see?  The same problems that crop up at a lot of urban universities- including Marquette 30 years ago.  And they will crop up 30 years from now.

You seem to think this is new, but history shows us otherwise.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2022, 04:54:48 PM »

Not one person has ever denied that it was a problem. They've denied the following:
1. That it is significantly worse now than it has been for the past 50ish year
2. That enrollment is significantly suffering specifically because of it
3. That we should have moved campus to the Quon
4. That we should have built a wall around campus
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2022, 04:57:27 PM »
Now we've got a guy in Texas and another in northern WI explaining that the safety issue at MU is nothing but smoke and mirrors, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2022, 05:00:18 PM »
Now we've got a guy in Texas and another in northern WI explaining that the safety issue at MU is nothing but smoke and mirrors, hey?

No one said that. 

tower912

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2022, 05:01:57 PM »
Y'all are so far gone that actually you're beyond hope. If some of us say red, others here will immediately say green, aina?
Ya reep watcha so, aina kin?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2022, 05:08:05 PM »
Good. Never hurts to have more safety measures in place. Glad Marquette is doing so.

I also take note of Lovell's first 6 words (after his greeting):

Like other cities across the country

Again, in the two years before the pandemic, Marquette had two of its highest (including it's all-time highest) enrollment figures ever. It seems kids (and their parents) want a city experience for college.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2022, 05:09:10 PM »
Good.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2022, 05:15:38 PM »
In before the lock
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2022, 05:19:57 PM »
I am always happy to see MU engage with the community.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2022, 06:06:15 PM »
4. That we should have built a wall around campus

Would they have MUPD in towers patrolling the wall? Think of all the job creation!

Also, my cousin’s friend had her purse stolen on U of Chicago’s campus…cause someone just walked through an open gate in their daunting fence. 

But sure, brick and mortar is the solution!

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2022, 06:27:47 PM »
Will these 4 additional mupd officers also engage in giving 19 year old students underage drinking tickets for revenue? Or will they used to combat actual crime?

I have my guess.

Merit Matters

• Walk-On
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2022, 08:15:15 PM »
I wonder what these other cities across the country mostly have in common…
All Lives Matter

tower912

• All American
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2022, 08:18:32 PM »
They are cities.  Chances are they are near  body of water.   Chances are they have a lot of people.   Lack affordable housing.  Have good restaurants.   Flourishing art scene.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2022, 08:23:15 PM »

Sidewalks?
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2022, 08:32:32 PM »
Oh good, another racist. Are you just as smart as the others?

Anti-vaxxer, gun nut...checks all the boxes
« Last Edit: February 08, 2022, 08:35:58 PM by TSmith34 »
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2022, 09:02:16 PM »
Most here won't answer that.  ;)
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2022, 09:11:05 PM »

I've lived in Milwaukee most of my life 4ever. Not as long as you but I'll have you beat by the end
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2022, 09:14:00 PM »
Most here won't answer that.  ;)
Already did.   ;)

feedback