collapse

* Recent Posts

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by MUDPT
[May 04, 2024, 10:05:13 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by wadesworld
[May 04, 2024, 09:36:37 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by TSmith34, Inc.
[May 04, 2024, 08:28:28 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by Nukem2
[May 04, 2024, 01:57:07 PM]

Most Painful Transfers In MUBB History? by Jay Bee
[May 04, 2024, 10:20:49 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Uncle Rico
[May 04, 2024, 07:00:37 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MU82
[May 03, 2024, 05:21:12 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Chicago Murders +  (Read 3898 times)

Galway Eagle

• All American
Re: Chicago Murders +
« Reply #50 on: January 26, 2024, 12:30:21 PM »

Green Bay and Dayton are urban. By definition.

And neither are "small." They are among 2% of the largest cities in the country. And even if you went by Metropolitan areas, both are in the top half - Dayton is even in the top quartile.

Weren't you calling me a dickhead earlier this week for getting hung up  on semantics? Pot meet kettle.

The broader point still remains that your dad has every right to not like cities but is not the segment they were referencing.
Maigh Eo for Sam

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #51 on: January 26, 2024, 12:39:59 PM »
Weren't you calling me a dickhead earlier this week for getting hung up  on semantics?

You could have just admitted you were wrong. It would have been easier.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #52 on: January 26, 2024, 12:47:18 PM »
You could have just admitted you were wrong. It would have been easier.

lol never change. You have the right to lash out with hominem attacks if someone else argues semantics, but defending what's right if you do it. I respect the stubbornness, less so the logical fallacy but sticking to your guns is admirable.
Maigh Eo for Sam

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #53 on: January 26, 2024, 12:59:53 PM »
Galway already noted it, but there's a difference between "I prefer a day at the lake to a night on the town" and "cities are scary."
We're talking about the latter, not the former. Sounds like your dad was the former.
And people who promote the idea that cities are scary typically do it for political reasons.

I mean, I know a variety of people who don't like cities and lived in them at one time or another, so its not like they are afraid of them.  Same kind of people wouldn't like Singapore or Dubai or any other city that is largely crime free.  Its just not their vibe and some outright dislike them, beyond "oh not my thing".  The kind of people who won't clutch pearls about being robbed but will constantly mock or complain how much things cost in a city.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #54 on: January 26, 2024, 01:26:27 PM »
I mean, I know a variety of people who don't like cities and lived in them at one time or another, so its not like they are afraid of them. 
Right. And for the third (fourth?) time, those aren't the people we're talking about.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #55 on: January 26, 2024, 02:18:30 PM »

For many of you, I'm guessing you watch too much TV news or read too much conservative press. In Chicago, for example, what I sarcastically call the "Lovely Allison News," (Channel 5, NBC), there isn't a night that goes by where at least half, if not all but one or maybe two stories, is public safety related. Shootings, robberies, accidents or fires. I swear Natalie Martinez, their "ace" street reporter, spends her life up to her ankles in victim's blood. After awhile, that creates an impression on people, and a negative one at that. I don't think most cities' news teams are that much different.

You think that NBC news in Chicago is part of the “conservative press”? And that the NBC, CBS and ABC news teams in New York, Los Angeles, San Francisco, etc are too?

Wow.

• All American
« Reply #56 on: January 26, 2024, 02:21:48 PM »
You think that NBC news in Chicago is part of the “conservative press”? And that the NBC, CBS and ABC news teams in New York, Los Angeles, San Francisco, etc are too?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwgJgTL5JmE
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #57 on: January 26, 2024, 02:37:12 PM »

Wow.

Reading is fundamental, Lenny.  He said watch too much TV news.  Which we all know is the baby boomer's favorite past time.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #58 on: January 26, 2024, 02:39:49 PM »
He only paid attention to the scary headline.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #59 on: January 26, 2024, 03:18:17 PM »
Reading is fundamental, Lenny.  He said watch too much TV news.  Which we all know is the baby boomer's favorite past time.

My mistake. Interesting that the conservative press and liberal TV news are pushing the same narrative.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #60 on: January 26, 2024, 03:36:36 PM »

There's a reason the local TV news cliche "if it bleeds it leads" exists.
Because it's true.
Local TV news is an entirely different beast than network news, you know?

Wow.

Transformation into Chicos is complete.

« Last Edit: January 26, 2024, 03:38:50 PM by Pakuni »

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #61 on: January 26, 2024, 03:47:00 PM »

Transformation into Chicos is complete.

Transformation into Sultan is complete.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #62 on: January 26, 2024, 03:50:23 PM »
Transformation into Sultan is complete.

Wow. Just wow.

• All American
« Reply #63 on: January 26, 2024, 03:57:45 PM »
Wow. Just wow.

Holy sh*t! You got a compliment out of cranky ole Lenny!!!

tower912

• All American
« Reply #64 on: January 26, 2024, 03:59:00 PM »
It certainly isn't defamation-worthy.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

• All American
« Reply #65 on: January 26, 2024, 04:00:25 PM »
It certainly isn't defamation-worthy.

Awww...That's the nicest thing ever said about me.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #66 on: January 26, 2024, 04:01:10 PM »
Agreed.   Funny how that works sometimes.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #67 on: January 26, 2024, 04:04:44 PM »
My mistake. Interesting that the conservative press and liberal TV news are pushing the same narrative.

Not really.  Both are in the business of selling outrage.  It drives viewership and therefore ad revenue.  Television is all about business. 

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #68 on: January 26, 2024, 04:05:12 PM »

tower912

• All American
« Reply #69 on: January 26, 2024, 04:05:49 PM »
Bravo

• All American
« Reply #70 on: January 26, 2024, 04:19:55 PM »
Yeah...I loled. 

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #71 on: January 26, 2024, 06:39:45 PM »
I heard about how horrible San Francisco had become.  Then I talked to people that lived there and took a work trip. 

Within an hour I was texting my wife saying that it had been too long since we had been there.  While I’m sure there are areas still shocked by the pandemic and people on the margin struggling — the areas I visited were similar and what I fondly remembered. 

The world exists offline

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #72 on: January 26, 2024, 07:06:06 PM »
I heard about how horrible San Francisco had become.  Then I talked to people that lived there and took a work trip. 

Within an hour I was texting my wife saying that it had been too long since we had been there.  While I’m sure there are areas still shocked by the pandemic and people on the margin struggling — the areas I visited were similar and what I fondly remembered. 

The world exists offline

I love cities all over the world of varying sizes and usually find some unique gems. However, I did not enjoy San Francisco at all. It may be skewed because we lost as a 1 seed in North Americans the first day & it was the hottest weekend on record but between naked old homeless lady shouting at me, a guy taking a dump in the view of our hotel, food I thought was subpar for price, an Irish pub covered in vomit (though that might've been the crowd the tournament brought), and the constant smell of urine and trash it was not my cup of tea.

Different strokes for different folks though
Maigh Eo for Sam

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #73 on: January 26, 2024, 07:56:52 PM »

Holy sh*t! Someone on Scoop is dumb (and egotistical) enough to think that anyone morphing into Sultan is a compliment!!!

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #74 on: January 26, 2024, 08:05:44 PM »

Wow.

Reread what I said. Look for the word “OR”.

NBC and the conservative press have one thing in common: They love crime stories. Period.

Crime sells. But there is a downside to crime news — it badly influences people and is reported out of proportion to the problem.